[OFFER] P9X79 PRO BIOS Modded for NVMe SSD

@Lost_N_BIOS

Hi;
Thanks for upload #274.
I flashed my mobo and it went smoofly.

I have another problem :

I wanted to try Twister’s version from post #12 (thanks @Twister ) and I got “Security verification failed”
I get the same message when I want to re-flash with your version again (my mobo runs actally on it)

Twister modified also Marvell firmware :
"…
· updated OROM Marvell 88SE9128 1.0.0.1031 → 1.1.0.1002
updated EFI Marvell SATA AHCI 1.1.0.1001 → 1.1.0.1020
…"

Marvell controller 9128 on Asus board slows down significantly ssd-drives (ports Sata 6G_E1/E2 gray). Speed is below SATA-2 !!!
I prooved it with Samsung 840 PRO and after I plugged it into Asus SATA 6G_1/2 port, its speed rose 3-times !

Please help:
- how to bypass “Security verification failed” problem
- if possible update BIOS for P9X79PRO with Marvell firmware which doesn’t harm other mobo functionalities (LAN, boot etc)

So I tried the BIOS from #274 and the flash worked on first try.
I used a cheap "nvme to pcie" adapter from aliexpress so for anyone wondering I think anything will likely work.
My SSD was a XPG GAMMIX S11 PRO
To get OS booting I followed some of the suggestions which were:
- Disabled Fast Boot
- Set SafeBoot to OtherOS
- Set Compatibility Support Mode (CSM) to Disabled
This worked to install a fresh copy of Windows from which I am typing now.

I previously tried migrating all the partitions from my old MBR SATA SSD to the new GPT formatted NVME SSD but this did not seem to work. To those that want to try this, good luck and let me know what you did to succeed.

MotherBoard Asus P9X79 PRO
Bios version 4801
Intel i7-4820K
32G DDR3 1600MHZ

ICY BOX PCIe adapter card set for 2 x NVME M.2
Samsung 500Go 970 EVO NVMe M2

Hi Everybody,

Please someone can help me for to make disk Samsung EVO970 NVME 2 on Asus P9X79 PRO WITH WINDOWS 10 PRO.

I downloaded 3 Modded Bios on this website and flashback the Bios with both all 3 Modded Bios.

Unplug all Sata Disk.

Method 1: Secure boot=Disable, Fast Boot=Disable, CMS=Enable, Boot device control = UEFI and Legacy OPROM, Boot from network=Ignore, Boot from Storage Device= UEFI driver first, Boot from PCIe=UEFI Drivers Frist

Method 2: Secure boot=Disable, Fast Boot=Disable, CMS=Disable

Method 3: Secure boot=Enable, Fast Boot=Enable, CMS=Enable, Boot device control = UEFI only, Boot from network=Ignore, Boot from Storage Device= Both UEFI first, Boot from PCIe=UEFI Drivers Frist

My problem:

1- IN THE BIOS, I DON’T SEE A NEW PATA SS (Samsung 970 EVO).
2- Boot on USB key Windows installation, Windows see the disk and installation was successful.
3- After Windows installation, the computer reboot but don’t find the Disk and any BOOT DEVICE
4- I CHECKED AGAIN THE BIOS, BUT DON’T SEEK THE PATA SS

I don’t know what I missed, if there are the right Modded Bios works ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi Fernando,

Please can you help me for to make disk Samsung EVO970 NVME 2 on Asus P9X79 PRO WITH WINDOWS 10 PRO.

I downloaded 3 Modded Bios on this website and flashback the Bios with both all 3 Modded Bios.

Unplug all Sata Disk.

Method 1: Secure boot=Disable, Fast Boot=Disable, CMS=Enable, Boot device control = UEFI and Legacy OPROM, Boot from network=Ignore, Boot from Storage Device= UEFI driver first, Boot from PCIe=UEFI Drivers Frist

Method 3: Secure boot=Enable, Fast Boot=Enable, CMS=Enable, Boot device control = UEFI only, Boot from network=Ignore, Boot from Storage Device= Both UEFI first, Boot from PCIe=UEFI Drivers Frist

My problem:

2- Boot on USB key Windows installation, Windows see the disk and installation was successful.
3- After Windows installation, the computer reboot but don’t find the Disk and any BOOT DEVICE

I don’t know what I missed, if there are the right Modded Bios works ? Do you have some idea or do you have a new Modded Bios for P9X79 with Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 2

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi Mak,

Please can you help me for to make disk Samsung EVO970 NVME 2 on Asus P9X79 PRO WITH WINDOWS 10 PRO.

I downloaded your Modded Bios also another 3 Modded Bios on this website and flashback the Bios with both all 3 Modded Bios.

Unplug all Sata Disk.

My problem:

I don’t know what I missed, if there are the right Modded Bios works ? Do you have some idea or do you have a new Modded Bios for P9X79 with Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 2

Thank you very much for your help.

Asus-P9X79-PRO-Asus-4801-NVME-SASwitch-Bifurcate_Mod - I believe the link for this is gone again. #272. It was on Sendspace. I was already using it and then tried modding a new one without backing this file up. I think it was from Friday, ‎April ‎17, ‎2020. Yes. Strange. I remember the date and not to back up the old BIOS! Also, what is the deal with the 3 drives limitation? Is that the max that anybody has gotten to work on the P9x79Pro? x8/x4/x4? I was actually hoping to use my (4) Intel 660p with software raid on a Hyper M.2 x16 V2 PCIe 3.0. I am really only in this for the bifurcation side of things. Windows is fast enough already, I just want to load proggies as fast as possible. Thanks for your time!

THis is with two of the drives attached in Windows Soft-Raid_Stripe. I’m just hoping for three…

Oh jah! Forgot.

Asus P9x79 Pro w/Asus P9X79-4701-Mod-NVME-SA-Switch BIOS, 3930k @ 4.3GHz (undervolted to 1.31V), 32gb G.Skill 2133MHz, EVGA GTX980 HydroCopper (was SLI until I took one out for my Hyper M.2), 6 SSDs (Mushkin, Samsung - All in RAID), 2 6tb Toshiba (Mirrored), EK Water cooling up the Wazoo + 3 XSPC RX 360 Rads, and the new object of my desire, the “Hyper M.2 x16 V2” with (4) Intel 660p NVMe.

INTEL SSDPEKNW512G8_512GB_1GB-20201229-1733.png

Hey thanks for the post and instructions they are quite helpful I’m currently stuck however on step #4 trying to get the drivers as you mentioned “I downloaded the dos level NVMe drivers from OCZ’s web site” would you be able to kindly point me to the website or which exact drivers you used I tried a couple but I wasn’t sure which you were referring to however my drive was not recognized so I can only guess it didn’t work. Any advice on where I can get these drivers or if they are still available would be helpful and appreciated.

Hello,

I am a new member on this forum, but i read forum for a years.
With instructions on this thread i have succesfully done NVMe modification on P9X79 PRO in early 2019. It was working on W7 Pro with (currently not downloadable) NVMe drivers from Microsoft Update website and W10 PRO later (native)
Because in my company i can get several sticks of 512 gig Intel 660p and Samsung PM981b NVMe drives now I am tryfing to get bifurcation working to test maximum speeds. But because lack of time I have stuck

I followed all thread (and others topics on forum) and can`t find working URL witch bifurcation modded BIOS (#272 on sendspace is not working)
It is possible to get P9X79 Pro bifurcate mod bios file…??

Thanks for response

Hi!,

@Lost_N_BIOS I’ve tried to download your files from posts #115 and #272, but none of the URLs are working. Tinyupload is down and sendspace says file is missing… Could you direct me to current versions?. Haven’t found them in all the thread.

One question: After flashing the new Bios, is there a way to easily tell if it’s successfully flashed (I mean a new Bios number or date of Bios that I can check?)

Thank you!

@Lost_N_BIOS I’m going to try on my own, but if you have the files please post them.
Thank you!

I think I got it, however besides disassembling the BIOS again, there is no other visible way I can see the result. But the package shows that it’s included.

I think I go it:
Ok, followed @Fernando guide and made my own. Not sure if that package / process includes bifurcation versions. Already flashed the modded BIOS, it’s working with the new NVMe SSD, and everything is Ok.
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 PRO
Base BIOS 4801
Package inserted uncompressed: NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs dated 04/18/2018

Modified BIOS
P9X79PRO_4801_mod.zip
4940929 bytes (4825 KiB)
SHA1: 01082FF2AD09EE67CE153CE188CC6747495A8E64
Uncompressed file:
P9X79PRO.CAP
8390656 bytes (8194 KiB)
SHA1: FA33A62DC3A44F959FD8C13B988143B86D9B008E

Original BIOS (or get it from ASUS support, just posted because they keep moving files and urls)
P9X79PRO_4801_ORIG.zip
4930034 bytes (4814 KiB)
SHA1: 57A3230DBDF7DAF08430B3D5C174C2E1F837DD63
Uncompressed file:
P9X79PRO.CAP
8390656 bytes (8194 KiB)
SHA1: 7E53C1456E85697D2BE296E3456F5239725A6E16

(I can’t post links due to some restriction for new members in here. Both files are attached to this post)

PROCEDURE:
You need to backflash the bios.
- Have two USB sticks at hand
- Quick format with FAT32 each of them
- Place one BIOS file on each
- Flash only the modded BIOS via BackFlash (The other original BIOS is just in case you have to revert to original one)
This is done by:
- Powering off the machine
- Inserting USB stick on back side, White labeled USB
- Pressing under it the Bios Flash button for around 4 seconds. It will turn on blue and begin blinking.
- Don’t touch anything, it will continue blinking faster and faster until it stops and then gets off.
- After this, remove the stick, power on the CPU and change the BIOS settings according to Lost_N_BIOS posts (turn off CMS, enable UEFI, all drives must be GPT)

DISCLAIMER: Do all at your own risk, this worked for me and my ASUS P9X79 PRO motherboard, but I’m in no way responsible for any damage you do on your system. If unsure how to proceed keep searching the forums. There are great guides and information.

P9X79PRO_4801_mod.zip (4.71 MB)

P9X79PRO_4801_ORIG.zip (4.7 MB)

@diegotru :

You can verify the successful flash of an NVMe modded BIOS by entering the "BOOT" section of the Bios. If you see a new device named "PATA", you can be sure, that the flashing procedure was successful and the inserted NVMe SSD is ready to become bootable after having created the Windows Boot Manager by the Win10 Setup.

Well… I can’t understand why, but the BIOS ROM does show the correct package inserted. However, there is no “PATA” on devices names. Not sure how to correct it, because it is there, and BIOS does flash…

@diegotru :

“What” is “there”? It doesn’t help, that the NVMe module was in the BIOS you have flashed, when the flashing was not successful. The NVMe module needs to be within your manboard’s BIOS chip.

By “is there”, I mean, I extracted the ROM from CAP, and verified with MMTool that the NvmExpressDxe is there on the correct volume index.
But, nevermind. I’m an idiot. I was assuming the PATA would show on default drives in BIOS config screen list so I didn’t saw it before installing the NVMe drive (I flashed the BIOS before the drive I bought arrived and all seemed unchanged).
Now that it is installed on the motheboard it does shows.
BIOS is working as intended. And I already cloned my sata SSD to the NVMe SSD (Although not before 10 excruciating hours of many attempts).

All is working and running.
My first BIOS mod
Thank you!

@Lost_N_BIOS Hello, would you please re-re(-re?)-upload the modified P9X79 Pro for x4x4 bifurcation? The sendspace links are no longer working. Thank you very much! Let me know where I can send you some ETH or buy you a coffee or what have you.

Hi every one

I have one quick question

I made this bios flash long time ago when this thread was starting and i am using one nvme disk for now but i want to ask if there is any new mod that will handle more nvme disks ? or i can use 2 or 3 nvme disk’s with bios from first posts ?

If there is any new ? can some one explain me which CAP file should I download from this thread ?

thx in advance

U can use ALL the NVMe disks that u need/want… as storage, with the presented mod ur referring.