[OFFER] Var. ASUS Sabertooth X79 BIOSes (NVMe/Bifurc./uCode/OpROM)

Yes, sounds like you got the lazy tech guy replying I can get you onto the E-WS BIOS, isn’t that board nearly the same, maybe an extra LAN or USB between both your board and that one (unsure which has what)

Im not exactly sure the small differences… With the Asus bios flash back is there harm in trying other asus x79 bioses? I will try if i can safely flash back to my current working

I know someone here has them both, lets see what they have to say @paranoid_android - how much difference between P9X79E-WS and the regular WS? Considering BIOS swap via ID change and flashback.

No harm to try, but more ideal to know in advance how compatible BIOS might be. I know the P9X79-WS-IMPI board can use non-IMPI without issue, so probably similar here too.

I have the plain WS purchased new in Feb of '12, no E or IPMI < didn’t even know they had that option tbh.

found this bit of info on another thread… so can this MRC be extracted from the 4801 bios?

“Hi! I work for a distri of Intelligent Memory and yes, Asus changed the “Memory Reference Code” which is the routine that initializes the memory. It is part of the BIOS, that’s why Asus released their own BIOS.
The memory controller hardware (inside of the CPU) just sends an address of row and column to the memory and expects the module to transfer the data back. This row/column addressing is done through total 16 multiplexed address lines and 3 bank lines. 16GB modules are using DDR3 8Gbit chips, 8GB modules are made of 4Gbit DDR3 chips.
Both, the 8Gbit and the 4Gbit DRAM chips use the same total number of physical address lines → 16 lines and 3 bank lines.
Thus I can say that from a hardware point-of-view, every CPU which can work with 8GB modules (made of 4Gbit chips) should also work with 16GB modules (made of 8Gbit chips).
Now the only problem left is the software, the Memory Reference Code (short MRC).
Intel supplies this MRC code to the motherboard makers and BIOS programmers as a compiled piece of software. And this Intel MRC code is written to setup the memory controller correctly when it sees 1Gbit, 2Gbit or 4Gbit DDR3 chips on a module. Unfortunately this code does not know what to do when it finds 8Gbit chips, so the system just hangs. ASUS added the code for 8Gbit DRAM chips and it works!”

I haven’t studied the entire thread, so I just reply to the quoted topic :wink:

The major difference between P9X79-WS and P9X79E-WS is the integration of two PLX-Chips on the E-WS as to provide four switched PCIe×16 Slots.
Physically the E-WS provides seven ×16 slots, of which three are electrically ×8.
One of these ×8 slots is directly rooted to a CPU’s root port, its the middle slot (4) on board.
Slots 1-3 are connected to the first PLX chip, slots 5-7 to the second.

The regular X79-WS has six physically ×16 slots, of which two can operate eletrically at ×16.
Two Slots are ×4 and two are ×8. Populating the latter changes the ×16 slots to ×8.
One of these slots is also directly connected to a CPU root port; I don’t know now whis is.

The above mentioned features may not cause great differences in bios optiions… I guess.

BUT the additional features on both boards differ also:
The X79-WS features aditional Marvell 9128 SATA controllers which provide two SATA-3 ports.
The X79E-WS features Marvell 9230 SATA controllers which provide two internal SATA-3 and two eSATA ports.
The boards feature different LAN controllers:
the X79-WS has one Intel 82579V and one 82547L Gigabit LAN Controller; the X79E-WS has two Intel 210 Gigabit LAN controllers.
The boards also include different Audio circiuts/codecs:
the X79-WS has a Realtek ALC898; the X79E-WS has a Realtek ALC1150.

Also the X79E-WS has an additional Via IEE1394 Controller which provides one port.

These listed options should result in different option rom data, I suppose.
How much the "core"-options of X79 chipset bioses are alike is something I don’t know the slightest bit of :wink:

@Black6spdZ _ I know you have the regular board model, I was mentioning crossflashing to another model.
On the MRC, I’ll look for that, but in case I can’t find, can you ask that person if he knows what module this is in the Asus BIOS?
Do you have flash programmer? If I can find, do you want it swapped into 4802 or 4901?

* Edit - the only modules I found with MRC mentioned, aside from setup, a few with only time stamp differences, and a few files that match between 128GB BIOS and non-128GB BIOS, are 2 x IvtQpiandMrcInit modules.
So this may be the modules I need to swap out/in, but there may be other modules too that don’t mention MRC, so if you can get more info from the person you quoted above that would be best.
I found some info here, but looks like it may be some of the same info you quoted - http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/…m.756463/page-2
Next page shows some of the assembly code I’d hoped to find, but no luck yet. I can’t find a memoryinit or meminit/meminitdxe either, which I assumed maybe this was from, unfortunately he didn’t specify in that post with the assembly code.

Thanks @paranoid_android sounds like the vanilla and E-WS are far to different for this type of crossflash, unlike the IMPI and non-IMPI models.
At least now I know what to look for from the above info he gave, hopefully it’s as simple as finding and swapping this module from a 128GB ready BIOS into his

@_haru @dsanke @svarmod - do any of you know which module in P9X79-PRO 4801 BIOS contains the Intel MRC code
Thanks

@Lost_N_BIOS … I wonder how a 128GB support for such boards could be useful practically. Because as far as I understand those X79 boards support only unbuffered ECC or non-ECC DDR3.
I have found no non-ECC or unbuffered ECC modules of 32GB Size. Only Registered ECC DDR3 32GB. But I can use those only on my Z9 board.
Nonetheless I’d be very interested in making use of 32GB modules on X79 boards, if there were some available…

EDIT: I am not that good at maths obiously
Or else I would’ve realized that I’d need 16GB DIMMS for a X-79(WS) Board to reach 128GB.

16gb udimms are cheap… I bought one to test for $28 but think a set of 8 could be bought for $200

Oops, I had the boards with 4 memory sockets in mind, like the Z9 (per CPU).
But what kind of UDIMMS are available? Are those PC14900 compliant?

I have no clue how it’s useful on these, but most Asus X79 got the update.

Except the workstation boards of all models… Asus has me pretty pissed off… Yeay I know its been an EOL model for quite some time but no 128gb option on the particular model that custuomers would most likely need it just tells me they pushed an earlier planned obsolescence for them… And i told that to their support. When i do upgrade it wont be with Asus products again

That does seem off, since WS are the most expensive right, and would benefit most from more memory since they are WS… Asus
Gather en mass all WS owners on Facebook and let them have it

Thank you. I use Samsung migration software and everything gone smooth.

15623584037971076388549724822968.jpg

Hello, I have a SABERTOOTH X79 with bios version 4801. Do I need to flash the bios with the file posted earlier? If so does it have to be flashed or could I use the AI Suite II to upgrade? I’m real new at this and don’t want to mess anything up. Thanks in advance for any reply.

Hey there,

After reading everything in thorough scan mode let’s start with Cbrown4390. With your mobo you can use the Flashback method to update your bios. You only need the attached file on FAT32 usb stick. Google on BIOS Flashback ASUS and you’ll find perfect guides for this very easy to use BIOS update method.

Secondly I have a question. My knowledge and skills are mostly in the area of system engineering and administrating. From that experience I have a good feeling for programming code errors and may sometimes be able to solve problems by changing code, but for BIOS microcodes, even with recommended software I try to stay away from it because bricking computers is hardly ever my goal. Even if I like to MOD stuff to make it last a lot longer.

Therefore many thanks for this clearly working mod of my unsupported but flawlessly fast and reliable Asus X79 based workstation. It solved a bricked Marvell configuration (second time) after Microsoft’s more and more unreliable update anger. Yet!

According to this thread the opROM for the Marvell controller should have also been updated from BIOS 1.0.0.1031 to BIOS 1.1.0xxxx but it didn’t happen. I was wondering where I went wrong.

Third and last would be this; a while ago WINRAID saved my workstations ass with another perfectly working BIOS MOD. That one upgraded my Intell Storage RAID from 12.7.0.1936 to 15.1.0.2545 so that I could make good use (yes, it happens) of the RST software for my Intell RAID. Is there a way that doesn’t make me insecure in areas that I am not familiar with, like ‘inserting’ stuff in recommended UI programs of unmentioned stable versions into Flashable BIOSes, to get this 4801 BIOS to also include the mentioned RST firmware? I have the original modded BIOS if that would make a difference.

So in short:
1. How come my Marvell firmware is not upgraded?
2. Can the RST firmware be upgraded to the best possible version for the hardware.

I guess we are all sorry our vendors are allowed to suck (money) as they do. And I myself am impressed with you guys work. I hope to be a good addition to the forum in any way possible. As mentioned before and gradually becoming common knowledge: You’re saving the planet by making good hardware last instead of lost in waste.

Hello after some time :slight_smile:

@SKDJ Sorry about late reply.
Maybe try using this BIOS : LINK

In short : It’s the most moded BIOS version I had at this time (not 100% perfect - check uCode screenshot).
It’s based on Bifurcation enabled (and uCode updated) last “official” release : Version 4701 and NOT on 4801 “beta” BIOS.

NVMe support : NvmeExpress_v4 (“fat”) present,
uCode update : Done*
ROMs : iRST (w/RAID TRIM), RSTe, and Marvell all updated
Bifurcation and hidden controls : Enabled (Pic : LINK).
*I tried myself to update “red” ucodes three times, but I keep getting the text “they are not latest” (not exactly sure why ?) - Ivy Bridge E was updated no problem.

Exact changes (4701 from ASUS website on the left, the heavy moded one on the right) :
uCode :

ROMs :

@Lost_N_BIOS This is based on Your BIOS from Bifurcation topic. Should I add this BIOS to my first post ?

@agentx007 - You can add to first post if you want, I don’t mind at all
But, first, here is latest ucodes for 206D6/206D7 -
https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocode…RD_990D3CF1.bin
https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocode…RD_62492450.bin

@Lost_N_BIOS Thanks, ALL uCodes updated
Here’s a question : How to add RSTe EFI ROM ?

MMTool gives me “already present” error when I try to insert it, and I can’t find RaidDriver that I need to replace.
BIOS file I’m working on : LINK

Any ideas ?

PS. Is this a valid Marvell ROM update for me : LINK ?

Thanks.

Sorry, I can’t advise on Marvell, best to ask about that in one of the Marvell or other ROM threads

What RAID do you want in there? I can update both for you, I do it with UEFITool manually.

@Lost_N_BIOS No problem. That .txt file was MCUpdate.txt (switching names) :slight_smile:

As for EFI, it’s not an update (?), and more like insertion - I think ?

Basicly, end result that I want to have, should look like this :

I would like to ask for help with this.
Unless I can’t have two similar EFI modules packed this way (ie. separate IRST and IRSTe) ?