[Outdated] USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded)

Reading through your post, I’m getting a bit confused. You are using Windows 7, right?

I’m am easily able to get to where the driver installs without issue, it just returns a 31 when it actually runs. Did you get that far?

@Omicron…yes, I am using Win 7. The only way I can load your drivers, or try to, is by opening the legacy hardware install window in Driver Manager. When I first opened the window there were no USB drivers listed. I had to alter a setting in the registry to get them to appear. The drivers will not load using that method.

Can you describe with a bit of detail how you managed to load your drivers?

PS. there could be an issue with my version of W7. It’s been installed for a long time and maybe there are issues. I am thinking of doing a full Win 7 install on a spare drive but that will mean using DISM to install USB drivers on my install disk image.

I could always use the PS/2 ports or my peripheral USB 3 card drivers.

I am thinking that maybe an earlier version of the Windows updates may allow the USB 3 drivers to install. I have slip-streamed W7 SP1 onto my W7 install disk but the updates are a couple of years old.

@gordo999

Alright, first, I’m using Windows 7 Pro (or Embedded Standard) and have the update rollup for March 2017 installed. These are the exact steps I’m doing:

1. Open device manager.
2. Right click unknown USB device in the unknown device tree.
3. Click properties.
4. Click "Update driver."
5. Click "Browse my computer for driver software."
6. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers."
7. Click Next while on "Show all Devices."
8. Click "Have Disk."
9. Navigate to the folder with Usbxhci.inf and .sys for your appropriate 32/64 bit OS.
10. You should now see one device highlighted with a block box, "USB xHCI …"
11. Click Next
12. Click Yes if you get a prompt complaining about incompatible drivers.
13. Click “Install this driver software anyway” for the red signing prompt.
14. Enjoy your Code 31 failing driver if you have the hotfix, or Code 39 otherwise.

@Omicron

Sorry, missed this part. I get nothing at all. If I get to the legacy window where it asks if I have a disk, and I direct it to the INF file in your package, the process stalls for a bit then returns me to the screen where the hardware options are listed. In other words, your drivers won’t load.

My W7 version is 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601. I am fairly up to date on updates and I am wondering if maybe one of those updates has disabled certain abilities to load drivers for USB 3.

No idea, sounds like an issue with your Windows from what I can tell (like what you mentioned) - wouldn’t have a clue what update is suspect.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post removed (to save space)

@Omicron

I have done all the steps except for these two. I have no ‘unknown’ USB device listed. I have devices listed for my peripheral USB3 card and one Xhci driver that is not working. There is no hub device other than the device for my peripheral card which works only with its own chipset.

Have not had the pleasure of the errors you have seen. For error 31, Microsoft suggest trying to update the driver. For 39, they suggest uninstalling it it and when it’s uninstalled, got to the menu bar and select ‘Action’. Select Scan for Hardware. Under ‘Action’ you can also see Install legacy drivers.

In both cases they will ask you for a disk, so point them to your INF files.

In the old days, I had success by deleting all drivers under a category, like USB, and simply rebooting. Windows finds them and re-installs them or asks you for a disk.

@gordo999

Huh, interesting - so it sounds like you still have the old driver installed on your xHCI controller? You can right click the offending device in the tree, and uninstall the driver via the “driver” tab to the top (make sure to click “delete all drivers for device.”) Then just reload devices via the top menu of the devices window which will rebuild the list and should now show "unknown USB controller."

Both error codes mean much more than they are saying - MS just is trying to tell the end user "it’s all screwed up."

I’ll stick to @ over quotes.

@Omicron

So I deleted them all and got the unknown USB device. I’ll try your steps listed above. Normally, it just loads the xchi driver but there are drivers required like the hub driver and so on. If you don’t see a hub driver listed that’s likely why you are getting the errors.

@gordo999

Not quite, I (and you) won’t get a hub device to show up because the xHCI driver doesn’t load to begin with. The xHCI controller driver has to load before it then finds the hub itself connected to the xHCI controller. No xHCI controller loads, no hub will show up.

@bryant
Hello friend, how are you doing with A36D for windows you got something to install as a working driver?

Hey guys, I’m so glad I found this forum.
My problem is my old USB 3.0 Flash drive doesn’t work on some laptops with Win10 (not all). Windows fails to install drivers with code 43. With no help from USB Drive and laptop manufacturers support and some googling I came to idea, that the problem is related both with specific chipset and drivers from MS. This flash drive works if i connect it via USB2.0 extension cable (with 2.0 speed of course).
My system:
OMEN by HP - 15-dc0006ur laptop
Windows 10 Pro
Intel HM370 Chipset
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A36D&SUBSYS_84DB103C&REV_10
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A36D&SUBSYS_84DB103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A36D&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A36D&CC_0C03

To be short, as far as I understand there are no drivers from Intel for 300-series chipset. Modded v5.0.4.43 drivers don’t work, doesn’t matter how I installed them (with DPInst or manually). After DPInst finishes with success and reboot, MS drivers are still in place. If I update driver for controller manually “with disk” and reboot, driver won’t start with code 10. Do I have any chance with this chipset?

@Bulka :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
We are sorry, but cannot really help you, because usable Intel USB 3.0/3.1 drivers are not available for on-board Intel USB 3.0/3.1 Controllers DEV_A36D and even adding the missing HardwareIDs into the related *.INF file doesn’t help. It is the Intel driver itself named iusb3xhc.sys, which seems to be not compatible.
The only USB 3.0/3.1 drivers, which do support your on-board USB 3.1 Controller, are the generic Win10 in-box ones.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi All,
Greets,
Sir(s),
The same problem : A36D , 8086 not working on win 7 SP1 x64 on my friends laptop. I would like to take lead in this matter. May i have modded test drivers for the cause ? May I have win 10 generic driver .inf & .sys file ?

Thanks & Regards. …

@Vineet_Garg :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Attached are the requested USB 3.0/3.1 drivers for testing purposes.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

pure 64bit Intel USB 3.0+3.1 Drivers v5.0.4.43 mod+signed by Fernando with DPInst option.rar (2.3 MB)

original 64bit Win10 v1809 in-box USB 3.0+3.1 drivers.rar (450 KB)

Hi Sir,
Thanks for the quick response & help. It can take some time to report anything.

Thanks & Regards. …

lol I’m everywhere really XD. Or maybe nerds like us have similar taste, desire and ways of act that makes it easier for us to bump into each other lol.

I don’t think that private collection of possibly working windows 7 7700 will ever leak. Especially now that Win 7 is gonna be the next XP.

Just grabbed a ASRock X299 itx and Z370 itx. Those are gonna sell for a high premium. Maybe I should also grab a X399 as well. A friend of mine who’s working for lenovo in China told me that they ran out of 6th gen and 7th gen things while still have piled 8th gen and also those with 8086 A36D controller aren’t gonna sell easily.

@bulka
The Intel 5.0.4.43 drivers cover 300-series chipsets, but they are for Win 7 and Server 2008. Intel has announced they are not releasing USB 3 drivers for Win 8 or 10, leaving it to Microsoft.

The DEV_A36D in the string you supply is for the Intel USB 3.1 xHCI USB controller.

I have my B360 300-series chipset running fine on Win 10 Pro. All USB ports work fine.

For Win 7 it’s a different matter.

Your HM370 chipset is a 300-series chipset and the device A36D is the correct xHCI controller for your chipset. If you look at the end of the string you will see it’s marked Rev_10. I think that’s where the problem may lie for Win 7.

There have been revisions of the basic chipsets like your H370 and my B360. If you look in Device Manager under system devices, you should see a device called a 300 series LPC controller with the number A304 for the H371 chipset. Mine is an A308 for the B360.

The Intel drivers you listed are for a 300 series running Win 7 but apparently an older version. Intel has apparently not issued drivers for those models on Win 7.

It has been explained in Fernando’s thread on USB devices that drivers are replaced by Windows depending on a ranking applied to the driver installed versus the one you are trying to install.

@Omicron

I confirmed the other day that mine is loading into memory. It’s just not starting. Several things could cause that like a memory conflict, an IRQ conflict, etc.

I have a gut feeling that something in the USB stack above the xHCI driver is preventing it loading. A preliminary check of the DDK for W7 indicated no information on W7 USB but there was a claim that the XP USB stack referred to XP ‘and above’. If that’s true then USBD.sys, a universal bus driver, is above xHCI sys on the stack and if it’s not the right version to work with xHCI that could be a reason why it’s not loading.

The USBD driver interfaces the OS to the type of controller but that may no longer apply to Win 8 and 10, or with USBXHCI.SYS. It may only apply to USB 2. USB 3 has integrated USB 2 and 3 in one driver.

It has occurred to me that left over drivers in W7 from USB 2 may be interfering. USBD.SYS may be typical. If it’s still loaded and operating on W7, it might interfere with USBXHCI.SYS if the latter does not require it.

On the USB stack, the earlier XHCI equivalents like OHCI and EHCI are referred to as miniport drivers. With USB 3 that has changed.

Don’t take this verbatim, I am just beginning to dig into it. On the USB 3 model, the stack is as follows:

USBHUB3.SYS
UCX01000.SYS
USBxHCI.SYS

The configuration above may only apply to W8 and W10 because Intel have supplied drivers with only USB3HUB.SYS and USB XHCI.SYS along with a switch driver. They may be doing something with their installation Setup.exe to enable W7 to work with those drivers.

I think that because i have seen Intel claim their drivers cannot be added in Device Manager and they no longer supply drivers for W8 and W10. They have also claimed the drivers can be integrated into the installer disk, so who knows what to make of it all.

This I do know, there have been no significant changes in the Windows system structure re USB device drivers between W7 and W8 and 10. They use the same classes and device drivers basically, it’s just that Msoft failed to write a driver for W7.

@Omicron
I may have read the stack backwards hence the dependency. That’s thanks to Microsoft who are representing the stack is it would be represented in a computer. They show the hubs at the top whereas logic would have them at the bottom as a trickle-down effect.

Most drawings I have encountered re computers show the host (system) at the top with the peripherals at the bottom.

Need more time to analyze this.

Heh, MS gave Blizzard access to a set of libraries that allows for DX12 on Windows 7, if only they would release that xHCI hotfix :stuck_out_tongue: