[Outdated] USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded)

This is actually rather interesting, it looks like it is attuned to Windows 10, but is entirely open source.

so has anyone find a solution of usb 3.1 work on z390 for Win7 ???

@alzcore397 :
No - the company, which is able to solve the problem (Intel), doesnā€™t do it, all the others donā€™t know yet the way how to do it.

@Fernando

I think we should all write to Intel and express our displeasure. I have supported Intel for decades due to the fact they have freely offered good technical information on their products. Furthermore, their motherboards have offered me the best solution.

Why they should suddenly side with Micro$oft is not clear, unless M$oft has taken them over.

thank god iwe have the Z370 chipset drivers!

For develop "real" usb3 hub/stack driver you better look to files from leaked sources of Windows 10 for ARM.
It has folders with probably usb3 driver itself, usb3hub, usbport and even usb2.0 ehci driver

@Mov_AX_0xDEAD

The stuff that was uploaded to Betaarchive? I think it was removed anyway (from there at least,) and thatā€™s a copywrite quagmire I just wouldnā€™t want to touch regardless of how bad we would want it.

If there is by some longshot that a Microsoft employee is looking at this thread/post, please consider floating the idea of an xHCI hotfix up the chain for us Windows 7 users. We arenā€™t moving off of it, and many of us already have a working Linux backup plan.

@gordo999 @Omicron @Mov_AX_0xDEAD

I find this answer really interesting.

We develop machines (several motors, pulse generatorsā€¦ in an industrial environment), and the electromagnetic interference (EMI) appears in some of them. We have worked a lot on reducing the EMI, and had been able to reduce it to some tolerant noise. Sadly, when we changed to Windows and at the same time had a need for a long USB cable, we started to suffer the EMI problems again. We have tested many cables, and finally came to a shielded USB 5m cable that has reduced the EMI to its minimum, but anyhow we still see USB disconnection problems. Prior to this cable, we had tested an USB Cat5 extender with 4 port USB 1.1, but it did not solve our EMI problem. We have also worked on getting a filtered power supply.

We have been checking the ground loops deeply. Anyway, I will pass your information to our HW team in order to see if they can find new clues for our problem. Have you got any additional information for the HW team?

This is actually rather interesting, it looks like it is attuned to Windows 10, but is entirely open source.

However, I think there is a lot of work involved in transforming this driver into a working USB hub driver. Am I wrong?

The stuff that was uploaded to Betaarchive? I think it was removed anyway (from there at least,) and thatā€™s a copywrite quagmire I just wouldnā€™t want to touch regardless of how bad we would want it.
If there is by some longshot that a Microsoft employee is looking at this thread/post, please consider floating the idea of an xHCI hotfix up the chain for us Windows 7 users. We arenā€™t moving off of it, and many of us already have a working Linux backup plan.

What do you mean exactly? Do you mean that I will not be able to get the source code or that it would be a very difficult task to create the drivers from scratch and using the Linux drivers as a help?

I may try to contact Microsoft in order to see if I can get source code for the drivers. Do you know which drivers I need the source code of?

Thank you all for your answers,

Asier

@alzcore397

Are you claiming the Z370 chipset has a USB 3 driver for Windows 7? I know some Asus board use a dedicated USB chip that allows W7 USB3 to do that but the Z370 seems to be stock Intel.

My Intel document for the B360 lists the following sharing the same range of LPC controller from A300 to A31F:
Q370ā€¦PCH device ID=A306
M370ā€¦PCH device ID=A304
Z390ā€¦PCH device ID=A305
B360ā€¦PCH device ID=A308
H310ā€¦PCH device ID=A303
C242ā€¦PCH device ID=A30A
C246ā€¦PCH device ID=A309
HM370ā€¦PCH device ID=A30D
QM370ā€¦PCH device ID=A30C
CM246ā€¦PCH device ID=A30E

I donā€™t know where the Z370 fits in the mix. Itā€™s listed as a 200-series chipset yet it has a 300 series number. The rest of the devices listed with it all have 200 series numbers.
Its LPC controller is an A2C9. I know Intel released Win 7 USB 3 drivers for 200-series chipsets and some 300-series chipsets.
The xHCI controller for the B360 and itā€™s partners listed above is listed as an A36D whereas the xHCI for the Z370 is an A2AF.
The curious thing is that the specs also list a USB Device Controller (Dual Role), an A36E for the B360 and a USB Controller (OTG), an A2B0 for the Z370.

I donā€™t see any reference to an A36E in my Win 7 Device Manager for the B360. Iā€™ll have to check Win 10 to see if it is listed there. Wonder if you have the A2B0 listed in your W7 Device Manager? It would be either under system devices and possibly be found under properties or in the USB devices themselves.

@Asier

You may be suffering from both conditions I listed, a cable shielding problem and a dirty power condition. Modern motor controllers transmit seriously dirty power into the power line. Thatā€™s because they have high powered semiconductors ā€˜choppingā€™ high voltages, which produces some serious transients, not to mention power voltage harmonics.

***A solution is to run electronic devices from a different power source than the motors. Or, at least, use separate grounds.

The noise from motors comes largely from the brushes. You may be able to run capacitors from the brush terminals to ground provided the capacitors have the correct value to ground the noise and not the motor voltage frequency. 600 volt motors with 347 volt phase voltages donā€™t have a high regard for capacitors that syphon too much current to ground.

In the old days, when cars had distributors, they ran a capacitor from the points to ground to cut the noise produced by the points making/breaking. If I recall, correctly, they did the same with the generator (pre alternator days). If the capacitor opened up, the points would cause a noisy static in the car radio.

***Have you looked at CAT 6 or CAT 7? They use a better shielding. You could run CAT 5 inside a metal conduit, grounded, of course. Modern computer rooms run the cables inside a metal duct in the floor. Where power and communication cables share the same duct, there is a grounded metal divider between them.

***You should never run communication cables in parallel with power cables. They should always cross at 90 degree angles. That is specified in the TIA/EIA cabling specification for CAT5.

***In computer environments, the power supplied via the local power utility is often delivered using a common ground cable, which runs back to the power panel. By rewiring the computer outlets so they have their own ground cable (dedicated ground) going back to the power panel, rather than sharing a common ground, with a factory common ground can solve noise problems.

By ground cable, I am referring to the third outlet in a power receptacle. In North America, we have two slotted outlets and one U-shaped outlet below them for ground. Itā€™s often called a bonding ground to differentiate it from the main ground in the panel even though the two join at the panel. In a dedicated ground system used for computers and electronic devices, that ground on the receptacle is wired straight back to the power panel.

***There is also a Faraday shield to cut down direct EMI. I donā€™t know your situation and how that could be applied.

***There are good line conditioners on the market that use MOVs (varistors) to cut spikes above a certain voltage threshhold.

***For dirty power, you may have to go to an isolation transformer for delivering clean power to electronic devices. Optical isolation works as well.

@Asier

Well, what I mean is using that leaked source code in any way is illegal (in most countries at least,) probably more so than just modifying a driver binary. If we had it (the full USB and xHCI stack,) yeah, we probably could modify it and make it more self contained so that it would work generically for all Windows 7 platforms. This is entirely different than the Linux source code which is open source.

If you tried to make drivers out of the Linux source code (whether it was Intelā€™s USB 3 modules, or the generic Linux one,) you would still have to port the entire thing into the Windows driver framework which essentially is the same thing as just making your own driver from scratch. However, it could work - but the fact that no one has done this yet tells me that it is very difficult.

In terms of Microsoft helping you, you have a better chance of solving world hunger, developing free energy, or reversing the entropy of the universe. The reason we donā€™t have drivers is because they are pushing for Windows 10 and they donā€™t want to jeopardize market share like what happened with XP. Intel probably has drivers for every platform they make for 7, but Microsoft probably pushed for them not to release it.

@gordo999

Z370 was a panic rushjob by Intel to release the 6 core Coffee Lake CPUs when Ryzen started to kick them in the rear - it doesnā€™t fit with the rest of the ā€œCannonlake PCHā€ series as it isnā€™t one of them, it is a repurposed Kaby Lake PCH (the Z270) that has power going to some additional unused pins. That is why we have xHCI drivers for it, the Z270 drivers install on it as it is the same PCH and USB DevID.

@Omicron

There is actually some precedence for this in the US judicial system. I have forgotten the details but Microsoft took a guy to court for allegedly stealing their code. The guy claimed he had approached Microsoft with a problem between his requirements and the Windows code.

Microsoft refused to help him so he reverse engineered Windows code to meet his requirements. Microsoft lost the case.

I think thereā€™s a big difference between reversing code for your own needs and reversing it to release hacked copies onto the Net. I mean, if you reversed a Windows driver and released it onto the Net, that would be illegal. Iā€™m not sure how it would be received if you instructed people on how to reverse the driver.

Since Microsoft has essentially abandoned W7 and intentionally prevented W7 users from having USB 3 drivers for W7 on newer chipsets, I think there may be grounds for a law suit against them. After all, people invest in newer equipment with the expectation that their copy of W7 will work on the newer boards.

Itā€™s one thing if the newer designs are such that W7 is not capable of working on them. Thatā€™s not the case here, W7 works perfectly fine on my newer chipset mobo, except for the lack of USB drivers that Msoft have refused to supply.

Not only that, if they detect a newer processor/chipset, they cut you off from W7 upgrades. That is obviously a blatant attempt to force users up to W10.

I think if a judge heard about these shenanigans, Microsoft would be in a bit of trouble. I think they are counting on the fact that W7 users wonā€™t enter a class-action suit against them.

@gordo999

Iā€™ll leave any crazy legal dancing to someone far more capable than I.

I mean, seriously, I just want a working generic xHCI driver. Itā€™s already proven that it works, the vendor specific ones are examples of that.

@Omicron

The thing we need to keep in mind is that W10 works fine on the same chipset, without a vendor specific chip, as does 95% of W7. I could likely get XP working on this chipset (B360) with a little bit of finagling.

I am stalled in my research right now due to issues with permissions on my drives. I have been focused on cleaning up my drives and network. When I get to it, Iā€™m going to have a close look at how W10 implements the USB3 stack then compare that to W7.

Keep the faith. Someone will find an answer.

Is it possible that usb support is missing under windows 7 for A36d because the usb controller is actually wired into the thunderbolt 3 controller?
I suspect that windows 7 can interface with the thunderbolt controller just enough to see what is connected to it but not enough to establish a high speed connection and load the usb 3.1 drivers.
Since thunderbolt 3 can deliver 40Gbps and usb 3.1 Gen 2 can deliver 10Gbps. Itā€™s possible it could be setup this way and could have been done in an effort to cut production costs or allow for Thunderbolt and usb C in the same port more easily (my machine has 1 combo usb3.1 gen c and thunderbolt 3 port.)

This is just a guess and may be completely irrelevant, but maybe it will turn out to be helpful and let someone figure this out.

@jjtimken

Windows 10 uses the same controller and it works fine. A36D is the Intel USB 3.1 xHCI controller for the 300-series chipsets. There is no way that I can see that Windows software can affect the A36D hardware. Unless of course, Intel is in cahoots with Microsoft and they have included a special instruction W10 can use that W7 cannot.

I think thatā€™s unlikely. I think the problem is in the way the W7 kernel/executive communicates with the xHCI controller.

There is a major difference between the driver USB stack for W7 implementation and the USB 3 implementation using the xHCI driver. The old USB 2 drivers used miniport drivers that adapted to the speed of the USB bus. The newer xHCI controller does both USB2 and USB3 in parallel. Therefore the means required by the W7 kernel/executive to communicate with the xHCI driver for the controller should be quite different.

Hi, first of all, regards to everyone and excuse for my englishā€¦ itā€™s not my native language.
Iā€™m in a big trouble and I hope someone here could help me.
Last week I bought a Gigabyte H310 D3 motherboard to construct a new Pc, with a Intel Core I3 8th gen 3.6 GHz, 16 Gb RAM, and a Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050.
All works great, but the nasty ā€œsurpriseā€ came when Iā€™ve tried to install the SO: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64ā€¦ then, the USB ports didnā€™t worked, not 2.0 ports and 3.0 neither. Iā€™ve had to install the SO with an old PS/2 keyboard and then, once the SO was installed and working propperly, I wasnā€™t capable to find and install the USB drivers in the CD included with the motherboard.
Iā€™ve read (late, iā€™m afraidā€¦) that the problem is caused by the chipset, wich is not compatible with Windows 7ā€¦ Iā€™m shocked, Iā€™ve spent 100ā‚¬ in a motherboard and I depend what Gigabyte ā€œallowsā€ me to install in my own systemā€¦ Iā€™d understand it wasnā€™t compatible with Windows XP, butā€¦ Windows 7 neither?!?. Today, almost the half part of planet continues using this SO.
Well, I need a set of drivers for the USB hub of my motherboardā€¦ Iā€™ve read Intel is working in a compatible one with H310 chipset, but I canā€™t find any site to download it. On the other side, Iā€™ve contacted with Gigabyte support, but they donā€™t answer me, Iā€™m still awaitingā€¦ Iā€™m not optimist about they answer.
Finally, Iā€™ve found this website and for this reason Iā€™m here, I hope one of you could help me.
My best regards for all of youā€¦

@Gigabyted :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Since you are not the only user of an Intel 300-Series chipset system, who is unable to use the on-board Intel USB 3.1 Controller while running Win7, I have moved your post into this thread. Here you can find a lot of contributions about this wellknown problem and what we have tried to help affected users.
Short summary:
1. A simple modification of the INF files doesnā€™t make the already existing Intel USB 3.1 drivers usable with Win7.
2. Only Intel as the chipset manufacturer can solve your problem.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
Hiā€¦ thanks for your answerā€¦ Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m screwedā€¦
Thanks anyway.
Regards!.

@gigabyted

Itā€™s Microsoft you need to complain to. Send them a note and express your displeasure at the way they have abandoned W7 users because they no longer want you to use W7 and move to W10.

You have every right to be shocked. When someone buys a new motherboard, and the motherboard is capable of supporting W7, like mine, an Asus B360M, that person would expect W7 to be fully functional and not sabotaged in the way Microsoft have sabotaged it. Users were not buying W10 so Microsoft decided to force them to W10, which I think is illegal in North America.