[Outdated] USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded)

No, any modification of a digitally signed original driver is a violation of the copyright rules. Some chipset manufacturers tolerate the customization of the associated text files (*.INF and *.OEM files) to make the related driver usable with natively not supported DeviceIDs, but I suspect, that changing the hex code of the real driver (= *.SYS file) will not be tolerated, if the related chipset manufacturer gets knowledge about the distribution of such modded drivers.

@sg2 , @dricks : Iā€™ve setup a new clean, fully updated test box (to ensure no past code integrity cheats used in the testing process are present) and, indeed, usual .cat signing is not enough if x64 .sys is modified in addition to .inf. Additional signing is required in .sys, otherwise cheats are the only way to go with this mod in x64. I have to try some ideas, but Iā€™m 99% sure I currently lack the knowledge for achieving this (if possible at all).

@icycool : Yes, default Win bth.inf driver gets installed after BT device is exposed. I inmmediately get an error about malfunction, and Device Manager keeps refreshing after some seconds (refresh can be stopped by disabling the detected BT device). It seems to be the old problem caused by KB3172605 (confirm if you have it installed, I do) affecting intel BT devices. According to intel BT drivers page, problem is solved by installing an updated intel driver. I have yet to test this. First thing I would do is trying to install the intel driver while the BT device is disabled.

@canonkong : First, I tried replacing 15DB instead of 15B5 and it didnā€™t work (like when using 15B6). Only 15B5 works for me so far. Regarding the thunderbolt driver, did you use its hub driver (requiring additional inf mod) or did you use the normal iusb3hub.sys conbined with the thunderbolt controller driver?

@Reducer : I run the driver in Win7 Test mode (= no trusted signature enforcement). I have read in several places that Win7-64 no-test-mode wonā€™t allow installing self-signed drivers, but rather requires cross-signature by Microsoft.

So the price to pay to have my Z390 USB ports work, is test-mode. But Iā€™m extremely cautions as to what gets installed on my computer, so I donā€™t see it as a problem.

@Reducer
If there is no special need, the *.cat file is not mandatory for signature. But *.sys must be signed with the driver kernel above sha1.
Only instead the ID for 15DB 15B6 are not enough, only 15B5/15C1 can work when just instead ID, others need a little change in *sys file.
For the Intel Thunderbolt,all files were modified with Intel Thunderbolt drivers, only A36D 9DED 31A8 were adding into the inf file and *.sys was slightly modified. Donā€™t need any other drivers like 5.0.4.43.

@dricks :
Thatā€™s wont work bro when your PC booting press F8 and choice to run without verify driver signature.

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing to the author (to save space within this thread)

Hello everyone.
It took me about a week to continually modify the USB driver and successfully solve the USB GEN2 driver for the H310/B360/H370/Q370/Z390. Now is the time to summarize the method. We can use IDA7.0 and HxD to modify the drivers. The ID replacement method can use HxD to modify the 15B5 and 15C1 of 5.0.4.43,but the disadvantage is that the supported USB3.1 GEN2 can only be one of A36D or other ID, and USB3.1. GEN2 have 9DED, 31A8,and unknown. If you use IDA7.0, there are dozens of methods to modify, but in principle there are only three methods. Both 5.0.4.43 and 17.2.70.3 can be used to modify and successfully drive Intelā€™s 8 Series to 300 Series, Cannon Lake Series, Whiskey Lake Series. It was successfully installed and operated well on the Intel 10nm I3-8121U platform. The difference between the modified 5.0.4.43 and 17.2.70.3 is very limited, but 17.2.70.3 has more channels, for example, the I7-8850H notebook can recognize more USB protocol devices. I am now focusing on the win7/8.1 driver of UHD630. Currently, UHD630/P630 is working normally except UHD610. The win7 modification driver for AC9260/9560 is being modified for testing. I hope that someone can solve the win7 driver of UHD610 and AC9560 together. Because I donā€™t know anything about programming and assembly, it took a lot of time to try to modify the driver, especially the UHD630 driver, which took me half a month to modify.

@canonkong
Which graphics driver version are you working with? So does it support i.e. DEV_3E98 for win7? Because it is always nice having a working iGPU as backup deviceā€¦

@Reducer
It support 6th 7th 8th 9th and Xeon series, so 3E98 is support. But UH610 can not work well.

To @Reducer and anyone else that maybe can help,
I got the msi z390-a pro motherboard and my USB ports donā€™t work in windows 7, I can boot fine from my usb key to win7 setup but usb keyboard/mouse does not work no matter what port I use,
if I connect my old ps2 keyboard I can atleast press ā€œinstall nowā€ in the win7 boot setup but it then immediately fails asking for a driver, I presume this is the usb 3.1 driver it is needing and not SATA driver or so?
after some googling the issue of z390 chipset and usb not working in windows 7 I found its a common problem and found this thread, I also have the A36D deviceid intel 3.1 controller like others in this thread with z390 board,

@Reducer , it seems you were able to get your z390 / A36D usb 3.1 controller working in win7? is there any possibility of using your method to solve my issue before windows is even installed? can I somehow slipstream or add your modded driver to the win7 iso or somehow load it in the boot setup?
Like is it possible to modify the driver as per your post here: USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded) (140) on my current win10 install and then put this modded driver on the win7 usb boot key, and try to load it next time when setup asks for a driver? if not too much to ask could you perhaps link me or send a PM to the modded driver for easier testing?

also, if anyone else figured out how to install win7 from usb key on a z390 motherboard feel free to help, thanks in advance!

@alexander86

Without a properly signed iusb3xhc.sys, mod cannot be used for clean install win7 x64. Driver can be integrated in win7 install.wim using dism + /forceunsigned switch, but OS wonā€™t accept it while booting. I tried using F8 + Disable Driver Signature Enforcement right after initial OS device detection/configuration pass (so before 1st boot to desktop) but it didnā€™t work for me. Not even tried a TestSigning 1st boot (more steps involved). You need to get win7 installed up to desktop, then the F8/TestSigning tricks will work.

@Reducer
ah I see, it seems I can not even get past the install fail message no matter what port I use or ps2 keyboard etc, any idea how I would install win7 on this z390 board ?

dvd only option ? thanks!

Do like most did: use asmedia USB ports.
I chose the Asus Z390 WS Pro specifically because it has asmedia ports on top of Z390 ports; these asmedia ports have a driver which can be injected into the W7 install USB.
If your motherboard does not have an asmedai chip, then buy any asmedia-based USB PCIe expansion board.
(I also needed two onboard Ethernet ports, another selection factor for the Asus).

@canonkong
Sir how do you change this values on 5.0.4.43 and make it run on A36D?

I have the same problem of installing USB 3.0 driver on my Acer X2660G. Everytime I install Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible i got this "does not meet the minimum requirements". Every driver was installed on my device except on this USB controller. Also tried the modded driver on this thread but no luck.

Any help please. My machine runs only on Win7.

@Fernando
Sir can you please send me the USB driver for A36D for Win7 x86.
I need this to run some applications for a machine.

Thanks a lot.

@kmsilva :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

No, I do not offer any mod+signed Intel USB 3.0/3.1 driver, which supports the DEV_A36D Controller. It would require a modification of the *.SYS file code and I donā€™t do that sort of modding.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fantastic thread and fantastic job. Incredible how drivers can still be a problem in 2019. Some things never get better.

I recently bought a USB 3.1 Gen 2 adapter naively thinking I could just pop it in, install the driver and be off to some 10 Gbit transfer rates.
http://sunrichtech.com.hk/productShow.aspx?pid=302

Unfortunately the Asmedia drivers seem to install fine but the Generic Superspeed USB Hub show the infamous ā€œError 43ā€. I have tried everything I can come to think of. When I connect my Nintendo USB-C controller it shows up fine in Device Manager. When I connect my USB-C 3.1 external jbod enclosure (https://www.raidsonic.de/en/index.php?we_objectID=5369) the computer fails to find anything, just repeatedly refreshing the device manager and giving off pings. If I connect my jbod enclosure to my Laptop it shows up just fine.

When I check the HardwareId on the Generic Superspeed USB Hub it shows up as a Texas Instruments chip (USB\VID_0451&PID_8140&REV_0100). I have no idea why. Anyone has any pointer on how I can get this to work properly?

Iā€™m on Windows 10 x64 Enterprise, forgot to include that tidbit.

Thanks,

molotch

Hello,

Iā€™m new to these forums. Found them after searching for a solution to my issue.

For a long time, Iā€™d randomly hear the ā€œUSB device connectedā€ sound, even when there were no USB devices connected to my PC. That happened multiple times per day. I also noticed that, under the USB controllers in Device Manager, one of them was listed as ā€œUnknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)ā€.

All USB ports were working correctly, so I decided to uninstall that controller. It would immediately reinstall itself, no matter what. Tried updating the drivers via Windows, it wouldnā€™t let me, saying that the best ones were already installed.

I then performed a clean installation of the latest version of Windows 10 Pro (1903), but that didnā€™t solve the issue. Thatā€™s when I discovered this thread.

Followed Fernandoā€™s instructions to the letter, and installed all correct drivers for my PC (i7-7700K, Asus Maximus IX Formula mobo), including ASMedia and Intel drivers (for USB 3.0 and 3.1, respectively). Now, I have two concerns:

1. After importing the Win-RAID CA certificate, I installed the latest modded Intel drivers (64-bit, for Intel chipset systems 8-series and up) through the DPInst installation method. Everything went smoothly.

After a reboot, both the Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and the Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub displayed the new drivers under Properties: version 5.0.4.43, dated 5/11/2017, signed by Win-RAID CA.

There was no change to the 2x USB Composite Device and to the 2x USB Root Hub (USB 3.0). They all still have the same drivers, provided by Microsoft: version 10.0.18362.1, dated 6/21/2006 for the composite devices, and 3/18/2019 for the hubs.

Also, the problematic device is now listed as ā€œUnknown USB Device (Device Failed Enumeration)ā€. Device status is: ā€œNo drivers are installed for this deviceā€. It no longer has a yellow triangle over it in Device Manager, and I havenā€™t heard the connect sound since updating, a couple hours ago.

2. As I said before, I also updated the 3.1 USB drivers for the two ports at the rear IO of my motherboard, both listed as ā€œASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Hist Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)ā€ in Device Manager. Installed the ā€œpureā€ drivers, again using the WPInst method.

The prompt concluded successfully, but, after rebooting, nothing had changed. Both controllers still had the same drivers (the same ones by Microsoft I mentioned: version 10.0.18362.1, dated 3/18/2019).

One of the USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports is type-A, and the other is type-C. I tried transferring a large file to a USB 3.1 flash drive connected to the type-A port, as a test, and transfer speeds maxed out at 75 MB/s, which is too slow.

Fernando, or any other knowledgeable users, Iā€™d really appreciate your advice on this matter.

P.S.: Thank you for all of your work!

@Eek:
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.
To be able to help you I need some additional information:
Please attach a screenshot of the expanded Device Managerā€™s ā€œUSB Controllerā€ section and post the HardwareIDs of the listed USB Controllers , the ā€œUnknown USB Deviceā€, the 2 USB Composite Devices and the 2 USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) devices.
You can get the HardwareIDs by doing a right-click onto the related device and choosing the options ā€œPropertiesā€ > ā€œDetailsā€ > ā€œPropertyā€ > ā€œHardwareIDsā€.
Regarding the detection of the in-use USB drivers I recommend to use the ā€œDriver Detailsā€ option of the Device Manager. Only this way you can verify, which drivers (= *.SYS files) are really managing the related device.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi, Fernando!

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and for taking the time to answer me. Hereā€™s the information you requested:
Screenshot of Device Manageā€™s ā€œUSB controllersā€ section

HardwareIDs and driver files of all USB devices, in the same order as theyā€™re presented in Device Manager:

Ā 
ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
Ā 
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_87321043&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_87321043
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&CC_0C03
Ā 
Driver files: USBXHCI.SYS
Ā 
---
Ā 
ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
Ā 
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_87321043&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_87321043
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&CC_0C03
Ā 
Driver files: USBXHCI.SYS
Ā 
---
Ā 
Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller
Ā 
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2AF&SUBSYS_872F1043&REV_00
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2AF&SUBSYS_872F1043
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2AF&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2AF&CC_0C03
Ā 
Driver files: iusb3xhc.sys
Ā 
---
Ā 
Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub
Ā 
IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_8086&PID_A2AF&REV_0000&SID_872F1043
IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_8086&PID_A2AF&REV_0000
IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_8086&PID_A2AF
Ā 
Driver files: iusb3hub.sys
Ā 
---
Ā 
Unknown USB Device (Device Failed Enumeration)
Ā 
USB\UNKNOWN
Ā 
Driver files: "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device."
Ā 
---
Ā 
USB Composite Device
Ā 
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_1B50&REV_0101
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_1B50
Ā 
Driver files: usbccgp.sys
Ā 
---
Ā 
USB Composite Device
Ā 
USB\VID_046D&PID_C539&REV_3903
USB\VID_046D&PID_C539
Ā 
Driver files: usbccgp.sys
Ā 
---
Ā 
USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)
Ā 
USB\ROOT_HUB30&VID1B21&PID2142&REV0000
USB\ROOT_HUB30&VID1B21&PID2142
USB\ROOT_HUB30
Ā 
Driver files: USBHUB3.SYS
Ā 
---
Ā 
USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)
Ā 
USB\ROOT_HUB30&VID1B21&PID2142&REV0000
USB\ROOT_HUB30&VID1B21&PID2142
USB\ROOT_HUB30
Ā 
Driver files: USBHUB3.SYS
Ā 

All driver files are located in the same folder: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\

EDIT by Fernando: HardwareIDs and driver details put into a "spoiler" (to save space within this thread)

@EeK :
Thanks for posting the requested details.
Here are my comments:
1. The fact, that the ASMedia USB 3.1 Controller is listed twice within the Device Manager, seems to be suspicious. Please check, whether your mainboard has 2 identical ASMedia USB 3.1 Controllers on-board.
Question: Did you install the ASMedia USB 3.1 drivers for both of them?
2. What about the Intel USB "Switch" driver? Do you see a device named "PCI Express Root Complex" or "PCI Bus" within the "System Devices" section of the Device Manager?
3. Although the OS obviously was not able to detect the HardwareIDs of the listed device "Unknown USB Device (Device Failed Enumeration)", it seems to work.
4. The first "USB Composite Device" is an USB connected device manufactured by Corsair, the second one is a Logitech wireless mouse.
5. Both listed devices named "USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)" are manufactured by ASMedia and are managed by an ASMedia USB 3.1 Controller.

My advice: If your mainboard has just 1 on-board ASMedia USB 3.1 Controller (and not 2 of them), delete them both from within the Device Manager, reboot and look, what happens.