[Outdated] USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded)

@kevindd992002 :
When the user replaces the driver for a specific device by another compatible one, the new driver will be in-use exclusively after the next reboot. The fact, that the previously used driver files stay listed thereafter within the Windows\System32\drivers resp. FileRepository subfolders and within the registry, does not mean, that they are still in-use or may interfere the freshly installed ones. The reason why Windows keeps all drivers in mind, which have ever been successfully installed for the related device, is to be able to switch to them later on without the need of a fresh installation.
You can easily verify it yourself by opening the Device Manager, doing a right-click onto any device and choosing the options "Update driver" > "Browse my computer ā€¦" > "Let me pick ā€¦". Provided that the box before "Show compatible devices" is checked, the device names of all previously installed drivers are listed. By clicking onto any listed device the related driver will be instantly automaticly reinstalled.

@Fernando
I know what youā€™re saying but you are incorrect. In Autoruns, anything that is listed there and checked means that they are ā€œloadedā€. A proof of this is that when i delete those drivers under c:\windows\system32\drivers, I get a BSOD loop because Win10 is looking for those driver files and they are gone. Copying those files back makes my system boot again. So thereā€™s something that these modded drivers do where even though you update the USB drivers back to their defaults, they are still being used. I hope you can test this on your end to confirm.

@kevindd992002 :
I am currently not able to do any PC experiments, because I am not at home and have just my mobile system with me.
Believe me: The previously used driver files are not active anymore after having installed another driver for the related device and rebooted.
As I had already written earlier, the OS stores the previously used drivers (probably as being safely usable in case of any troubles with the currently used driver).
By the way - if you want to completely remove the previously used driver files, it is not enough to delete the related files physically from within the different Windows subfolders (note: the INF files have been renamed by the OS to oemxx.inf). You will have to delete the related registry entries as well.
If you want to know which driver files are currently loaded and used by the OS, you should open the Device Manager, do a right-click onto the related device and choose the options "Properties" > "Driver" > "Driver details".

@ all:
Update of the Start Post
Changelog:

• new: ASMedia USB 3.0+3.1 Drivers & Software Set v1.16.59.1 WHQL dated 09/12/2019 for Win10

Thanks to Station-Drivers for the source package.

Good luck with these new ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando

Wondering why some packets like 1.16.58.1 get installed automatically and some others like this new one 1.16.59.1 have to be forced via device managerā€¦

@vmanuelgm :
Which OS are you running and what happened after having executed the setup.exe of the complete Drivers & Software Set?

@Fernando

I donā€™t use the setup, I just go to device manager and select the drivers. Sometimes they are installed immediately, sometimes have to force them, such is the case of 1.16.59.1.

I use Windows 10 Pro x64.

@vmanuelgm :
There are 2 ways to get the ā€œpureā€ ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 drivers installed while running Win10 x64:

1. expand the ā€œUniversal Serial Bus Controllersā€ section of the Device Manager > right-click onto the listed ASMedia USB Controller > ā€œUpdate driverā€ > ā€œBrowse my computerā€¦ā€ > navigate to the folder, which contains the related *.INF files
  2. double-click onto the DPInst64.exe

Which method did you use? Did you get the latest drivers properly installed?

@Fernando

I go to controller tab for every ASMedia xhci and hub and locate the driver. If I use 1.16.58.1, the drivers will be collected immediately since Windows recognise them properly. If I use 1.16.59.1, need to force them in the second option and Windows tells me it can be dangerous to force these drivers cos they can cause malfunction. Despite of it, I force them and all works okā€¦

@vmanuelgm :
Thanks for your report.
Unfortunately I cannot test these ASMedia USB drivers currently myself, because I am making holidays and my notebook has no ASMedia USB Controller.

@Fernando

Doing an Export-WindowsDriver in Powershell shows the boot-critical drivers in an OS installation. Hereā€™s the result in mine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/45h5orl77xw50ng/results.xlsx?dl=0 . Of particular interest is this entry:

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iusb3hcs.inf_amd64_b575930622f1a2e4\iusb3hcs.inf

This means that during boot time, that driver is being used even though it is nowhere to be found in device manager.

Anyway, I finally solved the problem and Iā€™m now able to enable secure boot again. In case you guys are interested (or you may put this in your 1st post), here are the steps to "really" remove all the modded drivers from Windows 10:

Basically, in addition to reverting to the MS WHQL drivers using device manager, you need to also use the included DPInst64.exe to remove the driver packages. Itā€™s like the command-line version of uninstalling a software from Programs and Features (similar to msiexec if you will):

1. DPInst64.exe /u {path to iusb3xhc.inf} /d -> in my case I uninstalled this driver using device manager and making sure to check the "uninstall" checkbox; this will remove all binaries and registry entries too
2. DPInst64.exe /u {path to iusb3hub.inf} /d -> in my case, this driver was not used at all but was still installed
3. DPInst64.exe /u {path to iusb3hcs.inf} /d -> in my case, this removed the driver from being boot-critical

Reboot, re-enable secure boot in BIOS and enjoy :slight_smile: To really clean it up, delete number 2 and number 3 entries using SysInternal Autoruns and delete the sys files in C:\windows\system32\drivers

@Fernando , just want to report that the 1.16.59.1 drivers donā€™t work properly with the ASM2142 controller of my Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 3.

Drivers are installed and the XHCI and its Hub donā€™t show any errors, but no devices are detected.

Additionally, if there are any USB devices connected to the ASMedia ports, trying to remove the driver hangs the process.

Trying to restart or shutdown Windows takes several minutes then finally restarts the computer due to an error.

The previous 1.16.58.1 driver works just fine.

Today a new ASMedia packet version 1.16.59.1 whql has been uploaded to station-drivers and for me installs and works properly.

I have installed today Win7 Ultimate x64 and I canā€™t setup either Intel WiFi 9260 AC (no Win7 drivers) or Nvidia 2080Ti specific usb. Any help???

@ all:
Update of the Start Post
Changelog:

• refreshed: ā€œpureā€ 32/64bit ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers v1.16.59.1 WHQL dated 08/15/2019 for Win10 (with DPInst option)
  • new: ā€œpureā€ 32/64bit ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers v1.16.59.1 WHQL dated 08/15/2019 for Win7-8
  • refreshed: ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers & Software Set v1.16.59.1 WHQL dated 08/23/2019 for Win7-10

Thanks to Station-Drivers for the source package.

Good luck with these new/refreshed ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi all,

I just installed ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 drivers v1.16.59.1 on Win 8.1 x64. After reboot (which it told me it had to do), my keyboard stopped working (it is a DasKeyboard plugged into usb 3.0 because it has a usb 3.0 hub). I tried it in other usb 3.0 sockets and still nothing. I tried a couple of usb 3.0 sticks in the same usb 3.0 socket and they worked fine.

After uninstalling and reinstalling v1.16.58.1 my keyboard is working again.

I tried this twice, same result.

Weird.

@JohnM , youā€™re absolutely right!

v1.16.59.1 drivers have issues with USB 1.x and USB 2.0 devices.

My keyboard and mouse doesnā€™t work, as well as an USB 2.0 flash drive.

Sticking with v1.16.58.1 for now.

I had the same issue on a ASUS p8h67-m pro with a 2600k while developing my Windows 7 SP2.9-Release, the same issue wether as a slipstreamed ISO or updating the drivers after completing the installation. USB-Stick on usb3 was recognozed as usual but the mouse on usb3 didnā€™t work. v1.16.58.1 works fine and I will stick with this version for now. I didnā€™t do any more testig with v1.16.59.1.

@all:
Has anyone successfully installed the ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 drivers v1.16.59.1?
Please report here about your results and donā€™t forget to mention the OS you are running.

@Fernando

I already said it, but I installed ok these new 1.16.59.1 via device manager and working nicely!!!

New ASMEDIA USB 3.0/3.1 driver v1.16.59.1 installed on W10 build 1903 via Dpinst64 method does work fine on ASUS Sabertoth X99.