[Outdated] USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded)

@Fernando
I have an ASMedia PCIEx to USB3.1 Gen.2 card with ASM3142 chipset and also the USB 3.0/3.1 v1.16.60.1 drivers downloaded from the first post a few days ago do not install in Win10 x32 ("ASMedia USB 3.0+3.1 Drivers v1.16.60.1 WHQL for Win10 incl. DPInst.rar" package - SHA-1: 804D517C8E8853874D52ADE47C23A4D24DE2214F).
I used DPInst32.exe as administrator, but unfortunately without getting results:

PCIExtoUSB3.1.png

I don’t know why even though my PCIEx card has the “ASM3142” stamp on the chipset, it is recognized in Windows with the hardware ID “2142”

@Borko :
You are absolutely right - it is the Company ASMedia (and not Intel), which made the related drivers and is responsable for your issue. Meanwhile I have corrected my last post regarding this point.

@Andalu :
Thanks for your report, which verifies, that some Controller devices are either wrongly stamped by the manfacturer or wrongly detected by the OS. It may even be possible, that the manufacturer (here: ASMedia) had given their Controller a wrong DeviceID (the OS doesn’t read the stamp, which is printed onto the device).

@Andalu

The same is with me. The onboard 3142 also recognized as 2142 by MS driver. I believe it’s due to MS driver.

@Fernando @Borko
I think we can exclude a wrong detection by the OS. These are two image taken from a mac forum for a PCIEx to USB3.1 Gen.2 card with the ASM3142 chipset.
Even in this case the ID recognized is 2142:

Sys Info- PCI_1.png

Sys Info- USB_1.png

The worst thing remains that it may be a bad stamping and that the real chipset is the 2142, as feared in another forum. The differences between the two chipsets are not many but the 3142 allows some useful functions, highlighted in this image and not available for the 2142 chipset:

Feature 3142.png

@Andalu @Borko
Please try to install the ASMedia USB3.0/3.1 drivers v1.16.60.1.
If you should succeed, it would be verified, that the DeviceID of your on-board ASMedia USB 3.1 Controller is DEV_3142. If not, it obviously is DEV_2142.

@Fernando

I doubt it can prove that the chip is 3142. The Asmedia USB 3.0/3.1 drivers v1.16.60.1 support the 2142 as well ? It should install in either case.

@Borko :
The list of the supported HardwareIDs (inclusive the DEV_2142 Subsys ones) is nearly identical regarding both driver versions.
Only difference: The older version v1.16.60.1 supports the DEV_3142 Controller, whereas the v1.16.61.1 driver doesn’t.

@Fernando
just tried once again on two different Win10 x32 releases with the same results: the asmedia driver 1.16.60.1 doesn’t install via DPInst32.

I also tried the forced driver installation for the “Generic SuperSpeed USB HUB” without success (error code 31):

Image 7.png

The asmedia driver installs only as "USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller" but the benchmarking results for an USB3.1 Gen2 NVMe enclosure (10 Gbps) are really poor compared to those obtained with the intel USBxhci for the same device:

Asmedia driver:

Image 5.png

Intel driver:

Image 8.png

@Andalu

It is not worth installing. One never knows what will get with latest drivers provided by chip manufacturer. In addition, there is no info regarding omitted 3142 support in 1.16.61.1. Neither on Station-Drivers nor Win-Raid. In fact, according to info on Station-Drivers, 1.16.61.1 do support 3142 chip (PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_3142).

https://www.station-drivers.com/index.ph…id=4538&lang=en

One has to study the .inf file first. There is no other way. However, that tells nothing about benchmark results in advance. And the final results are disappointing.

@Borko
I installed those drivers only for testing purpose also because I’ll probably use my PCIEx card on XP and, at least for the moment, not on Win10 which I don’t like so much.

My goal now is to make sure that my card really mounts the ASM3142 chipset and not a fake one. The strange thingh is that the chipset soldered on my card reports this identical code:

asmediaasm3142.jpg

and the difference is that this image is from a review of the “msi creator x299” motherboard which is ‘a bit’ expensive than my PCIEx card

This is simply not true.
Have you ever carefully read the chapter "B. ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers" of this thread’s start post?
Before I present here a new driver, I check by reading the related INF file, which DeviceIDs are supported and which not. Within the start post of this thread (last updated on 07/15/2020) you can find within the "Notes" to the latest ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 drivers, that the DEV_3142 Controllers are not listed as being supported and regarding the DEV_2142 you will find my statement, that only "some DEV_2142 Controllers" are supported by these drivers.

The Station-Drivers team obviously has missed the semicolon in front of the related INF file line.

@Fernando
Sorry, I read that chapter but obviously did not pay enough attention. I looked at the same time on Station-Drivers and Win-Raid, and was assured that these drivers must support 3142 controller as it is explicitly stated on Station-Drivers as the source of the package. I downloaded from here.
It seems that additional info should be added within the "Notes" stating that DPInst method does not work with these drivers as proved by @Andalu.

@Andalu

I used the magnifying glass trying to read tiny font on the Asmedia chip on my motherboard (Asus ROG Maximus X Hero, Z370). The "3142" is stamped just like on the picture you attached. However, it is recognized as 2142 in Device Manager. Still confused about it ?

@Borko :

After having tested the DPInst installation method my own with my Intel Z170 chipset system running Win10 x64, I cannot confirm Andalu’s find. The DeviceID of the on-board ASMedia USB 3.1 Controller is DEV_1242.
As you can see here, the automatic installation of both ASMedia USB 3.1 drivers (Controller+Hub) worked flawlessly (no error message, no reboot required):

ASMedia USB Driver Installation via DPInst.png

left Pic: USB Controller uses the generic Win10 in-box USB driver, middle Pic: DPInst report about the successful driver update, right Pic: USB Controller uses the ASMedia driver

This is what I did:
1. Download and extraction of the "pure ASMedia USB 3.0+3.1 Drivers v1.16.61.1 WHQL for Win10 incl. DPInst".
2. Right-click onto the DPInst64.exe file and choose the option "Run as Admin".
3. The update process began instantly and ended successful. All ASMedia USB 3.1 ports are running fine.

I confirm that the "pure ASMedia USB 3.0+3.1 Drivers v1.16.60.1 WHQL for Win10 incl. DPInst" doesn’t installs in Win10 x32 v2004 for my PCIEx to USB3.1 Gen.2 card with the chipset ASM3142 and the Hardware ID 2142:

@Borko
I’m not confused, I just reported the facts. Have you ever heard of a chipset with a different Hardware ID assigned? I think it’s rare, don’t you? If you do a search, you’ll find that it was also discussed in another forum, a sign that someone else noticed this strange difference as well.

An ASM3142 controller with a PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_3142 device ID simply doesn’t exist.
You won’t find anyone with a device with such ID.

Theoretically, we would need benchmarks of an ASM2142 and ASM3142 stamped controllers to compare their performance.
Unless there is an internal ID to identify their differences, it makes no sense.

@Andalu :
Please post the complete HardwareIDs of the ASMedia USB 3.1 Controller (right-click onto it > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs").

@daniel_k
according to the Asmedia website, the differences between the two chipsets, although few, are there.

Already posted at #2361