[Outdated] USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded)

@Andalu :
Thanks for the link, I didn’t remember, that the complete HardwareIDs have already been posted by you.
Now it is clear why the DPInst method didn’t work for you: The HardwareIDs of your on-board ASMedia USB 3.1 Controller VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_21421B21 are definitively not supported by the ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 drivers.
The only DEV_2142 Controller series variant, which is supported, has the HardwareIDs VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_B9091462.
You can easily verify it yourself by opening the file named asmtxhci.inf by using the Windows Editor. The HardwareIDs DEV_2142&SUBSYS_21421B21 are not listed at all.

@Fernando
The Hardware_IDs for the onboard Asmedia xHCI 1.1 controller on my motherboard seem to be also unsupported in 1.16.60.1 (asmtxhci.inf):

PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_87561043&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_87561043
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&CC_0C03

Now I wonder what these drivers are intended for ? Should an average user go backward and open .inf file of every older driver and do a search by Hardware ID until a match is found ?

@Borko :

Obviously not for systems with a top-modern hardware and OS. The affected users have to use the generic in-box MS USB driver.

The old USB 3.0 Controllers are obviously not affected by the support restrictions and the newest USB 3.1 Controllers will not be supported by any old ASMedia driver.

@Borko : @ Andalu:
It would be very interesting to find out, whether the natively not supported ASMedia USB 3.1 Controller are able at all to use the latest ASMedia drivers, if the installation of the "pure" Controller driver has been forced by using the "Have Disk" option.

Thanks for the clarification.

Already tried, please see at #2368. Same results in Win8.
Also tried in Win7 where I got a 0x7F BSOD with both 1.16.60.1 and 1.16.61.1 versions.

@Andalu :
You should force the installation of the ASMedia USB 3.1 Controller driver (and not of the "Generic SuperSpeed USB HUB") by pointing to the INF file named asmtxhci.inf.

@Fernando
already tried: the error code related to the USB Hub controller is visualized after the required restart causing by the forced driver installation for the Asmedia Host Controller occurred by pointing to the asmtxhci.inf file. Here the image (edited for a better explanation):

Image 1.png

Choosing the “Asmedia USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller” (even without ASM1143) the results are those I reported at #2368

@Andalu :
Thanks for your additional report, which indicates, that the ASMedia USB 3.1 drivers can definitively not be installed onto your specific system (not even by modifying the asmtxhci.inf file).

EDIT: When you got the "Update Driver Warning" and were asked: "Do you want to continue installing this driver", which button did you hit ("Yes" or "No")?

Clearly ‘yes’

This is not true. Z370 chipset appeared in 2017 and since then two newer chipsets were introduced, Z390 and Z490. Only Z370 motherboards needed additional onboard USB 3.1 controllers such as Asmedia 3142. In later chipsets the USB 3.1 functionality was integrated in chipset. Hence, it’s up to Intel and Microsoft to release chipset and OS drivers. The Asmedia is in fact Asus subsidiary company. However, even Asus do not offer Asmedia drivers on support pages for their own motherboards with Z370 chipset. The another big motherboard manufacturer, Gigabyte, do offer but rather an old one 1.16.38 (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z37…dl-driver-usb31).
I wonder where the "Station-Drivers" get these drivers from and how do they manage to update them so frequently even if they don’t support many Hardware IDs of 3142 and 2142 ?
There’s no point in releasing drivers that nobody can install.

@Borko :

You should ask Station-Drivers, not us. Anyway it took 2 months from the release of the drivers to their publication by Station-Drivers.

Since I was able to get them installed, I am obviously your "nobody". Maybe ASMedia has released these drivers just for me .
To be serious: As long as Microsoft puts their generic USB drivers into their Operating Systems (they may not be the fastest, but they work with all sort of storage/USB devices), there is nothing to worry about. Be satisfied, that you can use your on-board ASMedia USB 3.1 Controller from scratch. There are a lot of users, who have an on-board or add-in PC device, which they cannot use due to a missing or not matching driver.

Hi I am new in here, I am wondering any one knows how to enable UASP for Asmedia USB 3.1 drivers?
My MB have ASM 3142 chipset and the UASP only able to enable when using Microsoft Asmedia driver but it will keep BSOD randomly.
Using Asmedia driver does not induce BSOD but my external USB 3.1 Gen 2 SSDs lost 2/3 of it’s speed.

Thanks in advance.

@darkinners :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Which are the HardwareIDs of your on-board ASMedia USB 3.1 Controller?
Have you already tried to install the latest complete ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers & Software Set?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I’m looking for the same answer. From what I read somewhere, it seem that the UAS protocol is not enabled for all Asmedia drivers. I have an ASM3142 chipset too and the UAS protocol doesn’t work in Win10 with the ‘pure’ Asmedia driver. It uses the usbstor.sys driver (BOT) while the MS driver allows the UASP via uaspstor.sys driver:

Thank you Fernando! Please check the attached hardware ids. I already installed the complete Asmedia driver either from your pure driver or the latest one downloaded from Station-Driver

EwKLeOG_1.jpg

@Andalu and @darkinners

For ASMedia, only ASUS provides an UASP driver licensed from MCCI.
It’s OEM locked, which means it only works with ASUS boards/laptops.

Originally launched on 2010:
https://event.asus.com/mb/2010/The_Best_…_For_USB3.0.htm

I wonder why you can’t use Win10’s in-box drivers for both USB3 and UASP?

Thanks for the info @daniel_k
I cannot use the Microsoft driver because it will randomly BSOD once I use the fingerprint sensor function on my Samsung T7 Touch

@daniel_k
thanks for the clarification.

However, I wonder why both Gigabytes and Msi, for example, continue to make USB3.1 drivers for Windows 7 available for download for some motherboards that have the ASM3142 chipset if them can’t be used (or have a limited application) on their boards

@Fernando

Isn’t it strange that darkinners (#2394) managed to install Asmedia 1.16.61.1 drivers while I didn’t have success ?

The Hardware_IDs for the Asmedia 3142 onboard xHCI 1.1 controller on my motherboard seem to be identical to what darkinners posted in his picture. In both cases these hardware ids are not supported in asmtxhci.inf ?

PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_87561043&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_87561043
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&CC_0C03

@Borko :
If you open the file named asmtxhci.inf, you will realize, that only the following DEV_2142 Controller variant is natively supported by the original ASmedia USB 3.0/3.1 drivers v1.16.61.1:
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_B9091462

I am looking to see if it is possible to mod the AMD USB Drivers to accommodate these device IDs…
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_149C&CC_0C03
AMDUSB3\ROOT_HUB31&VID_1022&PID_149C

this is for a X570 chipset…