[Outdated] USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded)

Okay I wil try that, thanks.

I encounter USB 3.0 issues when Windows 10 updated with his own driver:

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
Supplier: Microsoft
Date: 16/11/2020
Version: 10.0.19041.662

They are already with version 10.0.xxxxx.xxx

What are the benefits of intalling these drivers on Win10 (I have an intel one) compared to the driver installed by default by windows update?

@Faz : If you are satisfied with the generic MS Win10 in-box USB 3.0/3.1 drivers, you should not replace them by the specific drivers, which have been built by the manufacturer of their on-board USB 3.0/3.1 Controller.

Iā€™m trying to fix a ā€˜Generic SuperSpeed USB Hubā€™ failure (Code 43)ā€™ error on my fully updated Win 10 20H2 build.
Iā€™m a little confused by some of the instructions on the main OP in this thread @Fernando

I have read through many pages and found another user with a similar Win 10 ā€˜Generic SuperSpeed USB Hubā€™ failure (Code 43).
The hardware ID is identical to my issue on an ā€˜AsRock Z370 Extreme4ā€™ 8th Gen 300 series chipset motherboard - USB\VID_174C&PID_3074&REV_0100

@Fernando replied that whilst this hardware ID related to AsMedia, that this USB port is handled by the on-board intel chipset.

So, I thought I should grab the >pure 64bit Intel USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers v5.0.4.43 WHQL for Win7 with DPInst option< ???

Then I saw towards the bottom of the OP in the ā€˜Intelā€™ section an ā€˜LATEST - UPDATEDā€™ part that he referenced another post relating to Intel 8th Gen 300 series chipset (my chipset)

I tried both the ā€˜Pureā€™ and ā€˜Modded+Signedā€™ (after installing Certs as descriebd) intel versions and they did NOT resolve things for me.
Still have the Generic SuperSpeed Hub failure.

For Reference here are the Hardware IDā€™s for both the AsMedia (controls the Gen 2 type C x1 and type A x1) and Intel eXtensible host controllers:
AsMedia - PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_21421849&REV_00
Intel - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2AF&SUBSYS_A2AF1849&REV_00

Appreciate any and all help.

@Globespy : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
A driver, no matter whether untouched or modified, cannot solve a hardware issue.

This does not mean, that an on-board ASMedia USB device will work with any specific Intel USB driver (neither an original nor a modded one).
My advice: Ask the mainboard manufacturer (here: ASRock) or the manufacturer of the related device (here: ASMedia) for a solution of your problem.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I seem to recall having this exact same issue multiple times over the last 5 years, and that this ā€˜USB Port Failing to Resetā€™, was actually more than just a potential problem within the Windows 10 OS.
The problem may be initiated by Win 10, as evidenced by many who have the same problem return often after a Win 10 update, but in some cases cannot be resolved simply with drivers.
I went digging through my notes (thereā€™s been a lot of data points I have collected over the years).
I was sure that I ran into this exact same issue, multiple times in the past, and as it turns out, I did! On 2 separate PC builds (Z170X board in 2017 and my current Z370 board)

I had exhausted drivers (original and modified), that installed just fine, but the error remained.
In my notes I saw that even after a completely fresh installation of Win 10, the exact same problem persisted.
I validated this yesterday (thankfully quicker than starting from scratch), by using a Macrium image of a quite recent fresh (Feb 2021) install of Win 10 20H2, which I know worked perfectly, and the same error (Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub - Code 43) remained in device manager.

It seems that when a USB port fails to reset, quite often Windows cannot resolve, which was evidenced after a clean install from scratch.
Instead the actual port(s) on the motherboard needed a ā€˜resetā€™ - I have a LOT of USB devices which may have added to the complexity in my case.
Important to know that this idea has worked successfully with other peopleā€™s PCā€™s that I have shared this ā€˜fixā€™ with (I am in a Sim Racing community where many use a lot more USB devices than your average user), so itā€™s unlikely that the issue is somehow related to motherboard hardware failure, if on my last 2 builds, plus other users.

My notes showed that the fix was related to the motherboard/BIOS rather than anything that could be done in Win 10/changing drivers when the installed drivers had actually worked just fine - a common complaint when this problem turns up out of nowhere.
Hereā€™s a VERY simple option for anyone with this error to try before potentially spending hours trying to resolve in Win 10/having exhausted driver fixes:

FIX (when drivers donā€™t resolve):

Power down the PC completely
Unplug the power from the PSU/Wall
Remove ALL USB connections
Reset the CMOS (button or jumper depending on your board)
Plug back in power and a keyboard only at this point
Start PC and BIOS will prompt to enter (like 1st time setup with a new board/build)
Have it set to your Win 10 boot drive
When in Win 10 begin to slowly reconnect your USB devices one at a time and wait until they are recognized and setup

Fixed!

but these driver working only windows 7 or i had lost points?

@pipes80 : To whom is your last post addressed and which USB drivers do you mean?

I read that the user globespy talked about windows 10 in the post of his solving the problem, then I was wondering if these drivers on the first page work with windows 10 and usb 3.1 and 3.2

@pipes80 : Some of the different USB drivers, which I am offering within the start post, do support Win10 (e.g. the ASMedia ones), whereas others natively do not support Win10 (e.g. the Intel ones).

@pipes80 - these modded drivers have served as the best solution for many, however in my some cases may not resolve all issues.
I am not technical enough to know why in the 2 instances of me having this Generic Superspeed USB hub error over my last 2 intel based builds were resolved by resetting the motherboard BIOS CMOS, but it worked nonetheless.
If the drivers donā€™t help then my solution is worth a shot fi you cannot resolve this Code 43 error.

PS - @Fernando thanks for all you do in keeping this valuable resource available for everyone. Itā€™s been a ā€˜go toā€™ for many.

Hello)
I have win8.1x64 & pcie card with asm3142
Problem is hardware id not included in asmedia drivers, so only ms driver work (which are very low in xperf dpc-isr)
I really ask people to help modify & install asmedia driver in win8.1-10
Hardware id:
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_21421B21&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_21421B21
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&CC_0C03

original asmedia 1.16.60.1 asmtxhci.inf contains only:
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_87321043
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_B9091462

but in thread [Solution] Win7/8.1 Drivers for USB 3.0/3.1 Controllers of new AMD Chipset Systems canonkong provides archive and i found that asmedia 1.16.60.1 asmtxhci.inf contains also:
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_3241
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_3242
which not contains in original asmedia driver
so its possible to add custom id & install?
i try to add my hardware id to asmtxhci.inf, but ofc hash error & no install
please help! thanks!

@plumch : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Since I am currently not able to use my normal equipment, I cannot help you.
Have you already tried to force the installation of the ASMedia USB drivers by pressing the "Have Disk" button and navigating to the requested Controller driver?
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando Hello
I try to add my hardware subsys id to asmtxhci.inf, then manual install via "have disk" but hash error & no install. how obtain this?
As I said earlier in the topic "[Solution] Win7/8.1 Drivers for USB 3.0/3.1 Controllers of new AMD Chipset Systems" i found archive with asmedia 1.16.60.1 & asmtxhci.inf contains also:
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_3241
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_3242
Which not contains in original asmedia 1.16.60.1 driver
So i think its possible to add my hardware id to driver
I hope very much for your help because ms driver have very low performance (such as ms driver for intel usb 3.0, but for my intel usb 3.0 i install your modded driver and have amazing performance in dpc/isr)

@plumch :

You should better try to force the installation of the original WHQL certified driver and not of a modded driver without any digital signature.

@Fernando
both original and modded asmedia driver have digital signature
it fails digital signature and hash error only when i try add my hardware subsys id to asmtxhci.inf, then manual install via "have disk"

@plumch : As soon as you touch the *.INF file by removing or adding anything, the related driver loses its digital signature.
That is why I gave you the advice to install the original driver without adding the missing HardwareIDs. Is it so difficult to understand my last post?

@Fernando i said in my first post that problem is hardware id not included in asmedia drivers, so only ms driver work, but i want to use asmedia driver. install original asmedia driver gives only as a result ms driver in device manager. have i explained clearly now? thanks)

@plumch : Provided, that the driver itself (= the *.SYS file) supports your ASMedia USB 3.1 Controller, you are able to install the original driver, whose *.INF file doesnā€™t contain the exact HardwareIDs of your specific USB Controller, but the installation has to be forced by using the ā€œHave Diskā€ button, navigating to the related *.INF file and chosing a compatible (wrong) Controller.
If you believe, that only the MS driver is working with your system, why do you want to install an ASMedia driver? The driverā€™s function and compatibility is layed down within the code of the *.SYS file and not within the *.INF file. All my mod+signed drivers contain the untouched original driver (= .SYS file). All I have done is customizing the related text (=.INF) file and giving the complete package a digital signature.

@Fernando ,problem solved, iā€™m very happy with performance
thank you very much!