[Outdated] USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded)

@ all:
Update of the Start Post
Changelog:

• new: “pure” 32/64bit ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers v1.16.54.1 WHQL for Win7 dated 07/10/2018
  • new: “pure” 32/64bit ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers v1.16.54.1 WHQL for Win8 dated 07/10/2018
  • new: ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers & Software Set v1.16.54.1 WHQL for Win7-10 dated 07/24/2018

• Thanks to Pacman resp. Station-Drivers for the source package.

Good luck with these new ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I got better AS-SSD score with native MS USB 3.0 driver vs ASMEdia driver:

SANDISK_EP_USB3.0_128GB_MS_v10.0.17134.1_USB31port_RS4_08sept18.PNG.jpg

SANDISK_EP_USB3.0_128GB_ASM_v1.16.54.1_USB31port_RS4_08sept18.PNG.jpg

USB-drivers.jpg

I have them both , is it possible to swich one of them off , for better performance ( write speed ),
or better to enable them both ( MS-USB3 driver and Asmedia )

As a follow-up to >this<, I tried installing the Intel USB3.0 drivers by using DPInst64.exe of this “pure 64bit Intel USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers v5.0.4.43 re-mod+signed by me (with DPInst option)” driver and the install failed. I checked the inf’s and it does include DEV_A2AF which is what I have. Any ideas how to get around this? And if I even need to update them with this driver that’s date 5/2017?

Hi Fernando,

I’m so glad I stumbled upon your work, you give me a little hope that I might be able to run windows 7 with my new i5 8th gen.
The problem is, the mobo I acquired is a b360m based, which has that damned DEV_A36D “Cannon Lake USB controller” you mentioned above as not being supported by intel for win7.

I already ordered to return the mobo and i’m looking for a model that you have already made sure supports win7 even with your modded drivers. I’ve read that some people had success using your modded driver on a Asus prime z370 a, where they could not install the original windows 7 driver provided by them.
Can you confirm this success or know of any other intel 8th gen chipset that can install your USB modded driver successfully for win 7? I’ll never use win10 because I think it’s pathetically bad, and a malpractice by M$.

Also i’ve read in this topic that even for H310 (which is also based on A36D), that have a really new official driver for USB for win7 refuses to install correctly… is that so? How can this be? Have you looked into that?
I’d like some light shed here for my chipset choice. I cannot find the HWID for the prime z370 a USB controller , that’s why i’m asking you if you ever succeeded to mod it to work as promised by Asus’ win 7 drivers.

Thanks on advance!

You can only replace, but not uninstall drivers, which are part of the OS.
By the way: If you want to compare 2 different drivers, it is generally not a good idea to uninstall one of them, because this way you have to completely re-install an already previously installed driver, if it should be the better one.

What does that mean? What happened resp. which error message did you get?

@kilirm :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Provided, that your on-board USB 3.0/3.1 Controller has been manufactured by Intel and its DeviceID is DEV_A36D, I will try to help you.

Please give me a link to this “official” driver or - even better - attach it as *.RAR or *.ZIP achive.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks a lot for your fast response!

The file I mentioned is larger than 6mb and could not be attached, so i’ll just link it here . This is from august 2018. If people can´t install these on their h310, i’ll call scam on Asus/Intel.

You said you are going to help me regarding the A36D. Do you have any news on the viability of making this ID to work on win7 64? I’ve tried your latest modded install a few hours ago and it did not work. It gave no errors but it remained yellow exclamation in device manager. Most probably i’m gonna return the board today or tomorrow. I’ve already boxed it to send back. I’m really curious to know about the asus prime z370-a or z370-p chipset support. I could not yet fish for their ID’s.

Take your time and thanks a lot, you are really a helpful and kind person.

@kilirm :
Thanks for the link to the “official” Intel USB 3.0/3.1 drivers, which are the 64bit Win7 Intel USB 3.0+3.1 Drivers v5.0.3.42 WHQL dated 03/28/2017 and definitively do not support any Intel USB 3.0/3.1 Controller with the DeviceID DEV_A36D.
The fact, that not even the latest available Intel USB 3.0/3.1 drivers v5.0.4.43 dated 05/11/2017 do support the related Controller, leads me to the conclusion, that Intel hasn’t yet released any USB 3.0/3.1 driver for it.

Since you have already boxed your related mainboard, it wouldn’t make sense to offer a test version of a mod+signed driverpack, where I have added the support of the natively missing DeviceID DEV_A36D.

@Fernando :

Oh thanks for your intention to help with this problematic chipset, but I really cannot risk having the retailer not wanting the return and be stuck with a board that’s useless to me.

Why did Asus do such thing as putting an old, not working driver as new. The level of nonsense involving these companies and microsoft with this new chip generation is really far out. Now i’m stuck with a processor which I don´t even know what mobo to pair with. Do you have any idea how could I get the ID’s for the USB devices on the Asus prime z370-a? Maybe i’m not searching in the right places. Do you remember from the top of your head having worked on such devices?

@kilirm :
The problem is, that Intel obviously has no interest in developing and releasing new USB 3.0/3.1 drivers for the meanwhile outdated OS Win7, whereas Microsoft works on new generic USB 3.0/3.1 drivers, which are only usable with Win10.

@Fernando :

I understand that.

About the z370 ID’s , do you remember having worked on any of them?

No.

Well I found them, for example DEV_A2AF, identified as “200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller” in device hunt website. I found it listed inside the inf for the extensible controller provided by intel. There are a lot of entries for the "200 series/z370 "string on the device database website. Now I know that intel fitted the z370 into the 200 series of drivers. Curious that they do not considered it a 300 series for driver reasons. It adds weight to all of the criticism people had about how could intel make 8th gen compatible with 200 series.

I think it’s safe to assume now that one may be able to install win 7 64 on a z370. I’ve heard many anectodal accounts of people being successful at doing so, and so far, NONE who have ever installed win7 on a b360m based on DEV_A36D, for the reasons you explained, before. Intel did not, and probably will never release any more driver for win7.

If anyone here reads this, and were able to install win 7 64 on their z370, say hello! :wink:

Thanks for your attention, Fernando

There are two versions of H310, one is a binned down Z390 and the otehr, often referred to as H310 2.0, are rebranded H110. They have different hardware ID. Check my post few pages back

@RMSMajestetic:
Have you ever tried to force the installation of the latest original Intel USB 3.0/3.1 Controller driver by using the “Have Disk” option?
This way you should be able to get the driver installed onto a device, whose DeviceID is natively not supported.

Yes, but there’s an error with the device and it is not able to perform properly.

@ all:
Update of the Start Post
Changelog:

• new: “pure” 32/64bit Intel Titan Ridge USB 3.1 Drivers v17.2.70.3 WHQL for Win7 dated 10/18/2017
  • new: Intel Titan Ridge USB 3.1 Drivers & Software Set v17.2.70.3 WHQL for Win7 dated 12/07/2017

• Supported are only Intel Titan Ridge USB 3.1 Controllers with the DeviceIDs DEV_5E9, DEV_15EC and DEV_15F0 while running Win7.
    Thanks to Station-Drivers for the source package.

Good luck with these Intel USB 3.1 drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hey, I’m poking around on MDL to try and get any further info on trying to force the in box Microsoft xHCI driver to work - but just to try and get some info, none of the driver packages (including the modified ones with certificates) support the Cannonlake PCH. Correct?

I’m assuming that is going to need Intel to compile up a version with the Cannonlake USB 3.1 code in the .sys itself?

@Omicron :
Which OS are you running and which is the DeviceID of your on-board Intel USB 3.1 Controller?
All Intel USB 3.0/3.1 Controllers should be supported anyway by the related MS in-box driver, if you are running Win10.

Did you try to force the installation by using the “Have Disk” button?

You are right, if you are running Win7 or Win8 and cannot get the currently latest Intel USB 3.0/3.1 drivers installed, not even by forcing the installation.