[Outdated] USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded)

Which is the right Driver for z390?

It depends on the DeviceID of the on-board Intel USB 3.0/3.1 Controller and on the OS you are running.

Fernandoā€¦thanks for all the work you have put in. I am new here so please excuse dumb questions.

Just read through you recent Intel USB 3.0/3.1 driver list and I donā€™t see my Intel B360 chipset Hardware ID listed. The Hardware ID is not in your modded INF file either.

Is there an issue with this USB 3.1 Gen2 hardware?

From my Win 10 USB usbxhci.inf file for the mobo:

PCE\VEN_8086&DEV_A36D&SUBSYS_86941043&REV10

For compatible IDā€™s, it lists:

-as above without the SUBSYS data, and:

&CC_0C0330 in place of DEV_A36D onward

-below is simplest compatible as PCI\CC_0C03

Thanks.

Fernandoā€¦hereā€™s the full list of dev hardware IDs and Compatible IDs for the Asus B360M-C/CSM USB controller as shown by Win 10 in dev manager.

Hardware IDs

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A36D&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_10
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A36D&SUBSYS_86941043
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A36D&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A36D&CC_0C03

Compatible IDs

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A36D&REV_10
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A36D
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0C03
PCI\VEN_8086
PCI\CC_0C0330
PCI\CC_0C03

The way I dealt with that in the past was to go offline and rename the INF file Windows is using to reload the original drivers. Their so-called wizards turn into dummies when the the INF file is missing.

May be somewhat different with W10, but it still works with W7. As you know, W7 would replace certain files automatically but there are ways around that too.

[quote=Mov AX, 0xDEAD|i tried win8 driver on win7 some time ago, matching import is not enough, ms usb3.x driver uses some implemenation of api on win8+.
so on win7 x32 i got kernelfault where all functions are exported from kernel/hal. i dont dig deeper[/quote]

My understand of this is limited at this point so donā€™t take me seriously.

The drivers are called by setupapi.dll, called from the PnP manager. If Setupapi.dll in W7 tries to call a driver at an address in the driver that has been changed, youā€™ll get a kernel fault. Youā€™d really have to check where W10ā€™s setupapi is calling to see what address it wants in <driver>.sys.

HAL is the deepest layer for hardware interface and it should not be that much of an issue if you can get the kernel to read the driver via setupapp.dll. Then again, there are several layers to contend with as well.

I feel optimistic about this because I plugged a drive loaded with Win7 SP1 into an Asus B360M-C and it booted and ran fine after I got past the logon screen. That suggests to me that the W7 and W10 core are quite similar.

If all other drivers run with no problem on an 8th gen mobo then I donā€™t see why USB 3 drivers cannot run.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s not that simple because there are likely several steps in-between. Just adding some thoughts to yours.

Donā€™t know if this will help, just a thought. I have exported all reg hives related to USB on Windows 10 with the thought of importing them into Win 7. I donā€™t plan to do it blindly, I need to check each reg file to see what it does.

I am particularly interested in the ENUM section of the registry where hardware is itemized. Of course, I may have bitten off more than I can chew since there are many USB entries listed like USBSTOR, etc., for external drives, etc.
One problem here is that unique identifiers are created for each USB device. You can get GUIDs from the INF file and you can compare the file repositories for a working copy of W7 and W10 to see how they compare.
You can trace some identifiers in the registry using the search/find function in regedit. Just plug in the first 4 or 5 characters in the GUID and see where the search engine stops. It should stop in the Class section, etc., which would be required for W7.
I have found in the past, that if you establish a base for drivers through the registry you can see what the OS is complaining about as being missing. Then you can supply the missing item(s).
Also, Process Monitor from Sysinternals, now Microsoft, can show you a detailed map of a process. You can see what files it was looking for, or reg entries, and which ones it could not find.

An old technique with a messed up system was to go into Device Manager and delete a pertinent section, or on some occasions, the entire tree in Device Manager. Windows would happily rebuild the entire tree.
Obviously, in this day and age you should always have a full image backup copy of your OS in case disaster strikes.

BTWā€¦a word to the wise. While you are messing with anything that can produce a BSOD, turn off write-caching for the drive. I messed up a drive so badly it would not boot and thankfully chkdsk repaired it. There are journals in the NTFS MFT that chkdsk can access to retrieve destroyed data.

Fernandoā€¦reading back to May 2018 you did try to add the B360 chipset (DEV_A36D) to your driver pack and it did not work. I would not mind having the modified driver pack if you still have it. I donā€™t care if it doesnā€™t work, I just want to play with it a bit.

Iā€™ll keep an eye out for updates from Intel and Asus. I know that Asus have released some drivers for certain devices.

Interestingā€¦ I might mess with this and see what results I get with a fresh 7850 install.

@gordo999 :
Attached are freshly mod+signed 64bit Intel USB 3.0/3.1 drivers v5.0.4.43 for testing purposes.
Good luck!

pure 64bit Intel USB 3.0+3.1 Drivers v5.0.4.43 mod+signed by Fernando with DPInst option.rar (2.3 MB)

Thanks, Fernandoā€¦much appreciated.

I was going through the Device Manager properties for win 10 for the USBXHCI Host Controller.
It lists a dll file, UsbXhciCompanion.dll and it is stored in %rootdirectory%\System32\Drivers\UMDF
Do you have that dll located in that directory? Mine is dated 4/11/2018 and its size is 121KB (maybe 123,904 bytes).
My USBXHCI.SYS driver is under the Drivers directory and it is dated 4/11/2018 with a size of 425KB (435,200 bytes).
I am concerned that Asus is loading Generic drivers as my HOST Controller is a Microsoft Generic driver.

@gordo999 :
If you want, that Omicron gets notified about your reply/questions, you should directly address your post to him.

Yes, I have it within the UMDF subfolder as well.

@gordo999 :
7850 does not contain, nor need that additional DLL. Windows 8 and up I recall use it, or some variation of it that is referenced and installed in the .inf itself - 7850 installs an additional .sys file instead which seems to perform the same role, and it was installed successfully in tests.
Like I said, it almost works, I just get hit with a Code 31 error like someone needs to debug or trace the code manually when it is running (beyond my capability.)

@gordo999 :
AFAIK neither the Intel USB 3.0/3.1 Controller driver nor the related Intel Hub driver need any Coinstaller file.
The only driver, which needs such *.dll file, is the Intel USB 3.0/3.1 Switch driver, but not all Intel chipsets need and use this driver.

Sorry. I thought quoting him would direct it to him. Do you mean I should add his name to the reply as you have in @gordo999 ?

Yes, if you set an ā€œ@ā€ in front of the related nickname, the directly addressed Forum member will be notified about your post.
Additional big advantage: This form of directly addressing needs much less space than a fully quoted post.

@Omicron

Can you point me to the package you are using? Being new here Iā€™m not yet familiar with shortened forms of the package names.

Send some details via PM to you.

@Fernando Hi, and thanks for all you do. I have been using your modded intel usb drivers since windows 10 came out and with great success. Well except after forced updates lol. I seem to have an issues with a new gen motherboard with a 9th gen i5. In my device manager i have these two under USB controllers

Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)

USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)

Normally using your dpinst method everything works great. Not sure why Microsoft hates me. I use a security dongle for some software and the only way to make windows recognize it is through your drivers. The Microsoft ones will give an invalid descriptor and makes our software not work on our customers machines.

Is there a method i should be using instead? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks