raid0 2 x 7200 slow performance

Hi,

I am very happy to join this community.I have found what i was looking for.
Thanks Fernando for great information.

After a lot searches I couldn’t get the best bench results from my old 2 x seagate 7.200 SATA2 raid0 system.
SSD’s are still very expensive our country :frowning:

Ok my specifications are:

-DFI LP JR P45-T2RS (ICH10R)
-Option raid rom 8.5.0.1030 on Phoenix-Award Bios
-Raid0 64k stripe
-RST Write-back cache is enabled
-Windows cache policies enabled ( disabled and after re-start again enabled bacause win7 bug)
-Disk is fully defragmented
-Disk usage is %41
-No bad sectors,no errors

I tried kind of intel driver first I started with official DFI matrix storage driver version 8.6.0.1007 because that was very close to my optinon bios ROM and some others 11.2.0.1066 - 10.1.0.1008 and the latest 12 series.
I expect min 190 read 190 write in benchs but no luck I get Avg 130 read 110 write.(crystaldiskmark)

With google search i see some dfi jr board owners tried to update their bios raid rom and failed.
Is there any remarkable results for raid0 after bios raid rom update?
What do you suggest best intel driver for my problem?

Thanks in advance,

Hello oldschoolh,

welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your post.

Which procedure failed, the BIOS modding or the BIOS flash?

Generally yes, but the amount depends on the hardware and the update jump.

With your system I would prefer the Intel RST driver/ROM combo v11.2.0.1006/v11.2.0.1527.

Regards
Fernando

I have already tried RST driver v11.2.0.1006 and i think I need raid bios update 11.2.0.1527.
I followed for phoenix bios procedure and created new modded bios with AHCI 1.20E and BIOS ROM 11.2.0.1527. I have GV3 MEMINIT and PPMINIT roms.

cbrom_D.png

Before flashing it can you look at fernando?

J245D527.rar (487 KB)

J245D527modded.rar (516 KB)

That looks good! I have extracted both Intel ROM modules from the original and the modded BIOS and checked the data integrity - everything is OK.
The checksum sensitive modules (especially the MEMINIT one) of the original BIOS are above the ISA resp. PCI ROM modules. So I don’t expect any problem from this side.
Nevertheless I am not sure, if the Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 will properly work with your old Intel SATA RAID Controller. You have to test it.
Maybe you should prepare another modded BIOS with the Intel AHCI ROM v1.20E and the Intel RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008, so you have an alternative without the need of starting everything from scratch.
Tip: You should rename the modded BIOS file to the original name, before you flash it.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advices the last checkpoint before flashing…

What can I do if worst scenario happens after flash?
Do you offer the realese LOGObitmap for free space in bios before flash? Because new raid rom is 2x size of stock rom.If I cant boot any USB I cant flash with stock bios again that will be headache.
After flash must I re-create the array so everything will be lost or continue the current array with no problem? So i will get backup…

And i see that 2009 user experience no raid rom working expect 8.5.0.1030 on DFI DK P45 this is a little dangerous :slight_smile:

1. AHCI_Option_ROM
1A. Intel_Serial_ATA_AHCI_BIOS_Version_iSrc_1.20E*
1B-1. Phoenix_AHCI_Option_ROM_BIOS: 01.05.94*
1B-2. Phoenix_AHCI_Option_ROM_BIOS: 01.06.70*

2. Intel_RAID_for_SATA
2A. 8.5.0.1030*
2B. 8.7.0.1007
2C. 8.8.0.1009
2D. 8.9.0.1023**
2E. 9.5.0.1021

3. JMicron_JMB363_Option_ROM
3A. 1.06.69*
3B. 1.06.79
3C. 1.07.04
3D. 1.07.11*

4. Marvell_88SE61xx_Adapter
4A. 1.1.0.l72a**
4B. 1.2.0.31_1.1.0.L73

5. Yukon_PXE
5A. 6.15.1.3
5B. 6.60.2.3***

Note:
: works on DFI LP DK P45 T2RS PLUS (20090925)
: works on ASUS P5Q Deluxe (2201)
: works both on DFI DK P45 T2RS PLUS and ASUS P5Q Deluxe

@ oldschoolh:
I cannot give you any guarantee, that everything will work fine, but I don’t expect the worst case, that you will not be able to reflash the original BIOS.
Nevertheless you should do a backup of all your important data.

You can do that, but I don’t think, that there is a real space problem within the BIOS. Otherwise CBROM would have sent a message "not enough space".
Another idea to minimize the risks of a BIOS problem: Flash the modded BIOS with the Intel RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008 at first. If everything should work fine, you can test the other modded BIOS containing the Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527.

@ oldschoolh:
What about the start with a 3rd modded BIOS containing the Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.9.0.1023?

Furthermore I am little bit unsure regarding the update of the Intel AHCI ROM module.
Your original BIOS contains the old Phoenix AHCI module v1.05.94, which is listed by CBROM as "ISA ROM", whereas the Intel AHCI ROM v1.20E is a "PCI ROM" module like the Intel RAID one.
Maybe you should remove the ISA ROM module and then insert the Intel AHCI module as PCI ROM (instead of just replacing the ISA ROM module).

This idea close to me…

I think best option is no touch the original AHCI_ROM we can first focus to RAID_ROM.

Does CBROM has a replace function? Hmm first of all I made modded rom with no replace function I realesed them first original bios then I added new raid and ahci roms.
I confused.

I shared wtih you original bios J245D527.BIN can you make a modd for it with 8 series MSM raid bios without any AHCI change.

Yes, you can replace an existing PCI ROM module by using the same command as for the insertion, but you have to use the exactly same module name as the already existing one.
Please read chapter D of >this< guide.
Nevertheless you can do it the same way you did it before (1. removal of the existing PCI ROM module, 2. insertion of the new one). This procedure may even be better, if there are space problems within the BIOS.

Please do it yourself. I have verified, that you are able to do it the right way.
If I would start modifying the BIOS on demand, I wouldn’t have time anymore for anything else (family, dog, hobbies etc.). Furthermore I would have written my guides without effect.

Flashed with v8.9.0.1023 and error “PNP and PCI compliant bios not present” in RAID mod.
Then i turn to original bios.

I am going to try 8.9.1.1002 but i can’t find anywhere this rom.

That is strange, because the checksum sensible modules are before the PCI ROM modules.
Maybe it will work, if you recreate the exact same order of the modules as within the original BIOS.
I will try to do it for you and send you the link.

Why do you think, that v8.9.1.1002 will work? It is even newer than v8.9.0.1023.

Thank you for your patience you spend time for me.
After search I found that 8.9.0.1023 failed people tried 8.9.1.1002 and succeed on Abit Boards.

And nobody tried this latest beta 8 series rom on DFI board I think.

Here is the link to the modded BIOS: >J245D527.BIN modifiziert<
This is what I have done:
1. extracted both PCI ROM modules and the LOGO bitmap file
2. removed all 3 modules
3. reinserted the Intel RAID ROM v8.9.0.1023 and then the other 2 original modules.
4. checked, that everything was done correctly.

Good luck!

Thanks for your support but no luck it gives same error…

I see bios v8.9.0.1023 PCH-D when original raid bios I see ICH10R-DO wRAID5

Last try will be 8.9.1.1002 but I cant find anywhere.There is in Gigabyte GAEX58 Extreme F9 N/M/J bios I can extract it but I cant find this GB bios too…

That is really strange and a pity. I have no idea regarding the reason of the update failure.

This is what you see while flashing the modded BIOS?

Stasio alias ex58 may be able to give you the link to that Intel MSM RAID ROM module. He was the one, who modded some Gigabyte X58 BIOSes using this Intel RAID ROM version (look >here<).

@ oldschoolh:
I just found the entry "PCH-D" within the Intel RAID ROM v8.9.0.1023.
Maybe a simple change of the related text code will solve your problem. Will you try it? Then I will build a new modded BIOS with the Intel RAID ROM v8.9.0.1023 and the text code "ICH10R-DO…"

Here is the link: >Modded BIOS Var_3<
It would be great, if that should work!

EDIT: Today (08/18/2013) I have slightly modified the Intel RAID ROM v8.9.0.1023 again to make the flash procedure as safe as possible.

I send him BIOS and Intel RAID ROM 8.9.1.1002 in TT forum.

Thanks or helping the user oldschoolh.
Can you please upload the Intel RAID ROM v8.9.1.1002? All related links I have found are dead.
I would rather like to offer it within >this< thread.

Done…