[Request] Acer Swift 3 SF315-52-52 bios modding

Guys, I need to covert *.fd bios image into *.bin or *.rom. Do you have any ideas?

Can’t update/roll back to earlier version of AMI BIOS with AfuWin

Model SF315-52-52YN

Just rename the extension of the file.

really? are you trying to say *.fd = rom ?

@klaxklax3 :
The content of the BIOS file will not be altered by changing its name or extension.
It is the AMI Aptio MMTool, which saves the modified BIOS automaticly as *.fd file, but you can change the extension as you want resp. as needed for the flashing procedure.

Yes, in many/most instances .fd = .bin/.rom, but really all files need looked at directly, due to some manufacturers now renaming encapsulated files .22 or .whatever.
Check, if there is no capsule at top in UEFITool, then it’s rom/bin/fd/dat/hex etc all same/same.
None of this has anything to do with being able to, or not, update to newer or flash back to older BIOS

@Fernando I just opened my bios image in MMtool, what should i do next?

@Lost_N_BIOS do you mean USB Flashback as shown on this video ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcGb00YS…3cieXfV&index=4

@klaxklax3 :
I don’t understand your question. Why did you open the BIOS? What do you want to modify?
Did you open the original BIOS or the one, which had been modified by you?

I tried to flash my image with AFUWIN64 /P /B /K , /GAN - nosuccess , somewhere i saw that under 32bit version it may complete the task, but it comeback with the anwer "No driver"

Yes, /GAN should not be used on your board.
Slow down, google about it, read links above, watch some youtube where people use it with your board and then go, otherwise if you keep rushing you are going to brick your motherboard

@Fernando I have original last version bios image from Acer bios.fd, I want to reflash it cuz my bios seems corrupt by third party repair organization or seller, i can’t reflash it cuz current version is already the latest version

I can’t extract it from .exe file downloadable from official site but it can be obtained from temporary location

Ok I got it, but I still have ACER laptop

@klaxklax3 - then why are you in a Asus P9X79 thread? None of what I mentioned about USB Flashback applies then, it’s all for Asus.
If you have Intel CPU, then use FPT method. See, if you were in proper thread, or a thread you made, I’d know your model and then could maybe see what CPU you have.
If it’s AMD CPU, then carry on with AFU but I do suggest you get a flash programmer instead (before you need one and it’s too late)

I see above finally, still lost as to why you are posting in this thread? You have Intel CPU, thus you should use this method

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error, if you do show me image of the command entered and the error given >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Then, this biosreg.bin file is what you edit, and will flash back, once we unlock some settings first which you will know what needs done after you show me error from above write back attempt

@Lost_N_BIOS

Intel ME version : v0.0 build 0, hotfix 0 Bios ME support: Not Supported.

Now I understand why my ultrabook boots up so slowly…

-------------------

@Lost_N_BIOS Apparently I was blessed by Acer Recertified with ultrabook which has extended boot time, increased by 25 seconds on initialization

-------------------------------

@Lost_N_BIOS my friend, I got the image!!!

…but I can’t edit in AMIBCP for some reason, do you know which version I should use?

@klaxklax3 - please edit your posts if you want to add more info, especially if no one has replied yet
Your ME FW is corrupt then, I checked and see ME drivers for this model, so you should indeed have ME FW (and it’s not removed/missing)
You can use FPT in DOS, is this what you did? If yes, OK. But, we need to fix your ME FW, and or if you don’t care about that, which you should as it can control your CPU/Memory functions, then you need to first test writing back BIOS region to your BIOS and see what error you get if any,

From DOS
Dump BIOS region >> FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin
Test writing BIOS region back >> FPT.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin
Any error? If yes, what is the error number? If no error, great, then you can mod BIOS and flash it back as mentioned above.

@Lost_N_BIOS

Dude, thanks for transfer!

BTW do you wanna know why i am on a different laptop? I burned a chip on the previous with a CH341A programmer!

@klaxklax3 :

Although your post hadn’t been addressed to me, I have done what you requested. I cannot really understand why you had posted your first request into a thread, where someone offered an already modded ASUS X79 mainboard BIOS.
This caused the confusion (especially on Lost_N_BIOS’s side).

@Lost_N_BIOS :
As far as I understand the previous posts, klaxklax3 has problems to get his modded BIOS properly flashed into his Acer Swift notebook. All your tips regarding the ASUS USB Flashback method were caused by the fact, that klaxklax posted his help request into an absolutely wrong thread with a misleading title.
If you can, please help klaxklax3 and clean the posts of this new thread.
Thanks!

@Lost_N_BIOS

FPTw doesn’t flash … failed to disable flash protection of the descriptor, is it possible to bypass protection by setting correct variables?

@klaxklax3 - Yes, if you are not careful, you can short out anything (host board, board you are trying to fix, CH341A itself) Always have to make sure things are connected properly, which I know is not always possible and shorts happen, it’s the life we choose and it can happen to the best of us.
It shouldn’t require a new laptop though, but if that is your only option I suppose that’s what you have to do.

Show me an image of the FPT error, including what command you typed too. Yes, sometimes it’s possible to get around certain errors, using some tricks, other times you will have to pinmod or use a programmer.
Since you have a programmer, there is no need for FPT usage if you are stuck, dump the BIOS, modify it and send me a copy of your dump and your mod so I can check it’s OK as far as I can see, and I can also remove all these locks for you too.

@Lost_N_BIOS

I will never ever use a programmer again on a laptop if a chip soldered on the MB.
Even if everything done correctly Intel BG will not let to replace firmware, even if you upload the original firmware with a programmer, PC will not start due to UEFI enforcement policy verification fail. After this there is only 1 option : to replace a chipset.

Pinmod is also not acceptable cuz it is hard to allocate audio chip itself without disassembling.

IMG_20190923_072701.jpg

Don’t be scared, people use them all day long, just be careful and use properly and you will be fine. If you refuse to use that, and can’t do pinmod (Which is more risky), then you may have zero options and can only use stock BIOS as it is.

Thanks for image, two things here, first you are trying to flash the entire BIOS, which is not needed (use FPT -bios -f filename.bin) and you need to unlock BIOS lock first via grub using setup_var or via SCEWin if possible (I will send you later, if setup_var fails)
I made a guide for unlocking error 368, you can start at step #6 since I will give you variable you need below - [GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash

Rename .efi file to >> Shell.efi
If you cannot see “Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device” on your BIOS exit page, then you must setup your USB stick how I suggest here, and be sure to look at the image so you get it all same
[Help needed] Hidden Advanced menu Bios HP Z1 J52_0274.BIN (2)

BIOS Lock variable to change >> 0x962

So at grub prompt you type the following >> setup_var 0x962 0x0

Additionally, you may be able to flash BIOS from windows, without doing the above, but you will have to test this and see if your BIOS has the bug.
In windows, put system to sleep (S3) not hibernate. Wait one minute, wake system up and try FPT flash again >> FPTw.exe -bios -f filename.bin

@Lost_N_BIOS

1 minute to success…

IMG_20190926_085934.jpg