[Request] Asus P9x79 BIOS with NVMe support

@montegonexus - So, you have both of these cards that you gave vBIOS and GPU-z image of above? If yes, great. Do you have a third card you can use for recovery in case one needs reflashed due to bad vBIOS?
This is done with a secondary card, so you need a working secondary PCI (old PCI is fine as long as it’s working), another PCIE card, or onboard graphics can work too.
If you only have those two cards, and no onboard graphics, then yes it must be done one at a time and tested after in order to be sure it’s OK, because in case it’s not then you’ll need to use the other to reflash the first one (Hope you get what I mean? )

Cape Verde 7750 is best chance of working without issue, so lets just test that one for now and if it works that’s all you need anyway correct?
Here is information on the vBIOS stock on left in each image, and the updated vBIOS I made w/ UEFI GOP rom info on right

CapeVerse-GOP-UEFI-Added.png

CapeVerse-GOP-UEFI-Added2.png

However, I just noticed when checking to see if Asus put out their own update, and they have!
Here is BIOS Update for you directly from Asus, pick correct model (I assume these two, since they were only ones at Asus 7750 that matched your stock GPU/memory speeds in your GPU-z image) - both have same download link, so doesn’t matter
HD7750-1GD5 - https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/HD77…/HelpDesk_BIOS/
HD7750-1GD5-V2 - https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/HD77…/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Install that, choose graphics card and run the update after a reboot. Then check GPU-z, and see if the UEFI Box is checked, if not, show me an image of GPU-z again and we’ll go from there and I’ll send you vBIOS I made and give you update method.

@Lost_N_BIOS :
I 've done some research myself too and I found that yesterday too. It requires 3. The tool can only be used under Vista, Win7, Win8. I have windows 10 Pro. I hope it will work. Also I noticed a difference in BIOS VERSION. The tool says that the card is not supported. Also the site claims that the card doesn’t use extra power source which is not my case. The card has a 6pin plug for power input to operate. Please check this too. https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/1223…750-1024-120312

UEFI TOOL.JPG

INFO.JPG

If not, try Win7 or win8 compatibility mode. Or, get out a spare drive and install Win7 real quick just for this.

Obviously the graphics card does not support UEFI, that’s the point of this update, stupid Asus!! @ your first image Asus never updated the site, or this package, that’s why it’s all funky and outdated now!

What is your exact model printed on the card? Sorry, not sure what you mean about extra power or what that’s relating to in your comments.

Yes, any general stock BIOS dump for these cards (such as that one at TPU) is going to say UEFI Support NO, because the stock vBIOS does not support it. I have created UEFI BIOS that will work on your card, but thought a standard update from Asus would be easier for you to do, since you’ve never updated vBIOS before.

If you can’t get it, I’ll put together a guide for you, or link you to one, and send you the vBIOS I made. It should be fine, just a lot more involved stuff for you to do in order to update it (Prepare all files on a bootable USB Stick, Boot to DOS, backup current vBIOS from DOS, flash new vBIOS etc)

Please confirm, the original issue, or reason your wanting this before we do all that. Do you just need to be able to boot to the NVME, or do you HAVE to be able to use secure boot and boot to the NVME?
Because, you can boot to NVME without having to do it via secure boot, however it involves a bootloader process that you’d also have to go through which can be quite an involved process too.
I can unlock BIOS for you so you can change any setting you want or need to do.

Just trying to make it easier on you, it only takes me 20 seconds to update a vBIOS, and 30 more to recover if it’s a bad flash, but that’s because I’m used to it, it may be much more of a hassle for you but if you’re ready I can walk you through it.
Here is a general guide, we’ll do much of the middle area where they actually do the BIOS update - https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa…g-guide.212849/

@Lost_N_BIOS :
I 've read this guide yesterday among others and I noticed that it says to flash VBios through DOS environment though ATITool is working through windows. My problem is that I can’t install windows on the NVME disk because the graphics card is not UEFI compatible. I have win 10 pro now but I just migrated the entire ssd Samsung 860 EVO with the migration tool that the site of GoodRam gives. I need to clean install win 10 Pro on the NVME. The site I was referring to is the one I have said to take a look to in my previous comment.

@montegonexus - DOS is ran from USB, nothing to do with windows. ATITool, I assume you mean ATIFlash, this works in windows (ATIWinFlash) or DOS (ATIFlash).
DOS is suggested for safety reasons only, it can be done from windows too, but since you currently don’t have windows installed anyway you will be forced to use the safest method
Did you make your USB Bootable drive yet, and copy all the files from the guide and make your backup following that guide yet? If not, please do, and then I will send you vBIOS I made to flash.
I haven’t posted it yet to give you time to get everything setup correctly, and get a backup made using this method, that way you’re familiar with how it all works before you flash.

@Lost_N_BIOS :
I am running windows 10 pro as I said before. I have migrated the OS from my Samsung 860 EVO. But I want to do a clean install and that is the reason why I need the graphics card to be UEFI compatible because otherwise windows cannot install on the NVME disk. Do you recommend to do it through DOS? I have prepared a bootable usb stick. This is the site that recommended not to flash the card under windows environment. I have everything ready according to the site. I am waiting for the vBIOS from you to proceed. The only vBios that is like mine is the first one that ends in 000777. The others are different. I have downloaded this one. Is this the correct one? Also which vBIOS for the 6770? Maybe the one with the latest date? Do you think that these vBIOS are originals or are they the ones that have been modified? Thank you.

vBIOS.JPG

vBios6770.JPG

@montegonexus - Sorry for my confusion, I saw you say you couldn’t install windows so I assumed you didn’t have a working windows setup right now. It’s OK, best to flash from DOS anyway.
Did you backup your vBIOS from DOS following the guide yet? If not, do that now, so you get used to the process, then tell me when you are ready (and ready/able to recover from bad flash, so secondary graphics card ready next to you) and I will send you vBIOS.

I have no idea what you mean about downloading vBIOS files ending in 000777, or other files, none of these files are posted by me for you, I have no clue what vBIOS you are talking about or where those files are, but it’s not one I wanted you to download (I will post vBIOS for you once you are ready)
6770 vBIOS I did not post either, since you have 7750 we should do that one instead, it’s a safer vBIOS flash and better chance of working without issue.
6770 you can try later if you want, I’ve made UEFI vBIOS for that one too, but it has more chance of not working/bricking and you needing to recovery flash it, that’s why I said lets do the 7750 since you have it and only need one card done anyway.

* Edit - I see now, the images you attached, show the vBIOS files you were talking about, gotcha now! No, those are BIOS dumps from other people uploaded to techpowerup BIOS repo, none of those will be used for anything we’re doing here

@Lost_N_BIOS :
As I stated before I am ready to procced. The only thing I need is the new vBIOS. Please do send me both in order to get this done and finish the tasks. First I will go for the 7750 and if I 'll be successful I will try the 6770 or else I will re-flash the 7750 back to the original vBIOS. Then I will do the same with the 6770. In case of bricking one of them I will always have one working card to unbrick it back. I am waiting for both your modified vBIOS and I am hoping for the best. Thank you.

@montegonexus 6770 is big risk due to modifications required, that’s why I wanted to do the 7750 first and hopefully be done with it, and I was waiting for you to say you already got into DOS and made a backup via ATIFlash while in DOS. You still never said you’ve done that yet?
So, that’s why I was waiting, so if needed you’d be ready to recover easily and properly, and already be familiar with the process.

Here is vBIOS for 7750 w/ latest UEFI GOP + Legacy orom left in place. Flash using this command, replacing the zero (0) with your adapter # >> atiflash.exe -f -p 0 xxx.rom
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…786425587193434

If you still want the 6770 later let me know, but it may brick and need recovered, that’s why I wanted to wait until you were 100% ready and would rather get the 7750 done for your first/instead

@Lost_N_BIOS :
First of all I would like to thank you for your support so far. When I said I am ready I meant that already had my back up and I am ready to get this done. I think that the back up vBIOS through ATIFLASH under DOS is the same as the vBIOS I dumped with GPU-Z. I will try this on 7750 and I will keep you posted.

@Lost_N_BIOS :
SUCCESS!!! I am waiting for the 6770 to try my friend. Thank you very much!!! I tried the stupid software from ASUS to check if the card is UEFI and still it says that it is not UEFI. LOL. Also please check the previous picture I have from GPU-Z for my 7750 and for the bus interface it says PCIe x16 3.0 @ x16 1.1 while now it says PCIe x16 3.0 @ x8 1.1 and later PCIe x16 3.0 @ x8 3.0 Why is that happening?

SUCCESS.JPG

Success.JPG

7750.JPG

Delighted you found your way through the UEFI maze and found a card that should allow you to BOOT from the NVMe drive.

Glad that is working for you!

Cheers

@montegonexus - I didn’t think you’d done the backup in DOS yet is why I paused, yes the backup would be the same but I wanted you to do that so you’d get a little familiar with the process, not in order to really get another backup file.

You’re welcome! Happy to see Success Now, did that resolve the main issue, and you can now install Secure boot method correct?

About the PCIE speed, remove the card, clean the gold contacts and put back in again. This will often go down to 1.1 due to power saving features of the drivers, but should go up to 3.0 under load,
Many budget and mid-range models are only x8, so yours may be x8 type, but I do see x16 in your original, could have been wrong before though? Nope, I checked, 7750 is x16 chip - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-7750.c309
See if it goes back to x16 after cleaning the contacts and blow out the slot too while you’re there, if not use DDU to remove the driver, reboot and then reinstall drivers - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/dis…r-download.html

6770 vBIOS mod is a bit risky, to make the UEFI GOP fit and leave ucode (microcode) in place, a smaller older UEFI/GOP image is inserted instead of full size latest (Some unsigned)
This is best explained here by lordkag, but this was also written long time ago, before new GOPUPD methods, so some things can be done differently now (a little bit) - AMD and Nvidia GOP update (No requests, DIY) (17)

To do this, certain options can be used, and I’ve created all possible ways, and I can give you all three with ucode left in place, that will fit your chip.
See all files here and notice their sizes and file names, only 128K fits your current rom

Ucode can be removed and latest UEFI added, but still size is larger than current rom anyway, and If your card uses it, then it wont boot with it removed, some cards use this ucode and some do not.
Only one with latest UEFI/GOP with ucode removed will fit your chip, other two require a larger chip (And this one may fail to work anyway so I’d advise to use other w/ ucode and older UEFI GOP instead).
To update to latest UEFI GOP and leave ucode in place, you need to remove the old chip and solder in a new one due to larger file size required.

Do you want me to send all those? I believe all that say "uCodeKept" will boot fine, but only one is signed driver type, and only one of the ucode removed w/ latest UEFI/GOP will fit your current rom chip, but it may not work and may brick the card.

Thank you for the work you have done for me. I believe that the best option here is the last one. The signed one with uCodeKept so I am thinking of trying this one. Maybe it is the best choice here. Please send it to me to try it. Thank you.

@hancor :
@Losxt_N_BIOS
I would never have gone this far if there was no help from you and Lost_N_BIOS. Thank you both guys

You should now be able to install Windows 10 Pro, etc using the GPT formatted NVMe drive and BOOT from it.

Let us know how that works out…

@hancor :
@Lost_N_BIOS :
Yesterday I installed Win 10 Pro with no problem at all on my new disk but… The graphics card after the installation got worse on terms of bus speed. Please see the attached picture taken from GPU-Z. Maybe something is not good with the nBIOS of the card which now supports NVME but something prevents the bus speed to be x16. Before format it was x8 and now it is x1. I am waiting for your reply since you are more experienced than me on these matters. Thank you.

7750Format.PNG

Here are screen shots of my graphics card at idle and at render test

You can clearly see PCIe speed at 1.1 during idle with an 8x interface.

GPU-z report.gif

During the render test PCI speed clearly show 3.0 speed with an 8x interface

GPU-z report part2.gif

In your manual at page 2-2 you will find the picture of your motherboard.

Your primary graphics card should be in the first slot from the top labeled: PCIEX16_1

Recheck that your graphics card is properly seated in the slot. Double check all your cabling

Remove CMOS battery and let capacitors drain for at least one full minute.
Reinstall CMOS battery, apply power cables and switch on standby power, and restart computer.

Further, did you reload “Load Optimized Defaults” again? Once for the original motherboard bios flash and again after the graphics bios flash.

After BOOT up, rerun GPU-z test to see if behaviour repeats.

Also keep in mind that your card does not have native UEFI support according to the manufacturer:
https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/HD77…specifications/

"NOTE • No UEFI support.
* No native UEFI BIOS support, for UEFI BIOS, please download from ASUS technique support site. (The update tool only for ASUS MB.)"

Notwithstanding LOST_N_BIOS and you injected UEFI support…

The driver installation may be stopping down the PCIe speed to x1 for this reason…even though technically the driver supports PCIe 3.0 speeds for the Adrenaline driver version 19.4.3 which claims Radeon HD7700 - HD7900 compatibility. Hmmm…try a previous driver version and see if that corrects the problem. Sometimes newer drivers break older stuff…

If you need to completely uninstall and reinstall your graphics driver; I’d suggest this program DDU found here:
Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.1.2
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/dis…r-download.html

Reinstall your driver of choice and check the behaviour of your graphics card again.

At any rate you are now BOOTING off of your NVMe drive; so count that as a success.

Again recheck all your connections…sometimes we all do stupid stuff.

Eg. I am going to tell on myself here. I loaded up my new graphics card above and casually hooked up the PCIe graphics split 2+6 power cable to the EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3, thinking it would boot. WRONG. Corrected this by running TWO separate PCIe graphic cables from the power supply; voila problem solved. This was caused by overlooking really stupid simple stuff. Lesson learned…pay attention to detail and take your time.

Cheers

Thanks for all that info for him @hancor

@montegonexus - And please remove the card and clean the gold contacts, then reinstall card, sometimes that fixes everything! If not, pop it out again, and reinstall once more. And be sure it’s in correct main slot, with nothing installed in the second or third xfire slot to cut it’s speed in half.
I also recommended uninstalling and removing your driver with DDU and reinstalling it, on post #53, did you do any of this yet? 7750 shouldn’t do that because of UEFI vBIOS, they released many official UEFI vBIOS for these cards shortly after launch, even one for your eact model, so I assume it’s something else

Here is 6770 vBIOS, be careful and be ready to recover from bad flash
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…690257445056374

@hancor :
@Lost_N_BIOS :
Thank you both for replying. The card is where it was since the beginning in PCIEX16_1. Never changed slot. I have done everything that you have suggested but still the problem insists. Remove and reinstall the card and the drivers with the special tool. Nothing. The bus is x1 after formatting the disk. Before formatting the disk but working on Win 10 Pro by immigrating the system the card was x8. I cleaned all the contacts with isopropyl alcohol. In PCIEX16_2 I have installed the disk. Should I try to install it in the PCIEX16_3? Would that make any difference? The PCIEX16_3 is x8 only.

PCISLOTS.JPG