[Request] Asus PRIME Z270-A Biosmod

Hello,
I would like to have a custom BIOS where I can enable/disable HPET & maybe more to optimize my System for Gaming.

Newest version 1302:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LG…A-ASUS-1302.zip

Intel ME Version: v11.8, Build 3399, Hotfix 50

Thank you! :slight_smile:

@Dan111baSh - “Maybe more” what else do you need other than HPET visible?

Please do the following, since your model does not have USB Flashback

Follow this guide, starting at step #6, I’ve done #1-5 for you and info is below
[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash

Rename .efi file to >> Shell.efi

BIOS Lock variable to disable >> 0x90C

So, at grub prompt, you will type the following and hit enter (case sensitive)
setup_var 0x90C 0x00

Then reboot, and do FPT step #1 and #2 below, confirm at #2 you do not have error stopping the flash (GbE or PDR error ignore) Then upload created biosreg.bin from step #1 (Do this ONLY after you do above first)

If you have already modified the BIOS in ANY way, you will need to re-flash it back to factory defaults using factory method (NOT FPT)!!!
Additionally, please remove all BIOS passwords, disable secure boot, and disable TPM or Encryption if you have enabled. Do this before moving on to below

If you do not have Intel ME drivers installed, install them now from your system driver download page, then start over here after reboot.
Check your BIOS’ main page and see if ME FW version is shown. If not then > DOWNLOAD HWINFO64 HERE <

Once HWINFO is open, look at the large window on the left side, expand motherboard, and find the ME area.
Inside that section is the ME Firmware version. Take note of the version. (ie. write it down or get a screenshot)

Once you have that, go to the thread linked below, and in the section “C.2” find and download the matching ME System Tools Package for your system.
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
> DOWNLOAD " ME System Tools " packages HERE <

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and then inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder (NOT x64).
Highlight that Win/Win32 folder, then hold shift and press right click. Choose “open command window here” (Not power shell! >> * See Registry file below *).

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

((If “open command window here” does not appear, look for the “Simple Registry Edit” below…))

Step #1

Now you should be at the command prompt.
You are going to BACKUP the factory un-modified firmware, so type the following command:
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin "

>> Attach the saved "biosreg.bin ", placed into a compressed ZIP/RAR file, to your next post!!! <<

Step #2

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error(s).
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin "
^^ This step is important! Don’t forget! ^^

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

Here is a SIMPLE REGISTRY EDIT that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu, instead of Power Shell
Double-click downloaded file to install. Reboot after install may be required
> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD CMD PROMPT REGISTRY ENTRY <

If the windows method above does NOT work for you…
Then you may have to copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a Bootable USB disk and do the dump from DOS
( DOS command: " FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin " )

I hope I did everything right. I have to admit that I am not very familiar with it. I have dealt a lot with overclocking and gaming optimizations in Windows, but not on the “Bios” side. If you can think of a few hidden settings with which I can “play around” a little (like latency improvements - TSC, PMT, MSI …), I would be happy if you also activate/unlock them for me.
Thank you @Lost_N_BIOS :slight_smile:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…768853077918767

@Dan111baSh - If you can do step #2 above, then you did it correctly
I don’t game, so any setting you want visible you’d have to tell me by exact full name. Here is text output of all possible settings, so you can search or scroll though, make a list as you do if you find stuff you want visible
Or, if you want an easier way to look at all possible settings, open BIOS in AMIBCP 5.02.0023 or 5.02.0031. The first expandable tree on left is where the settings I can make visible to you are, you’ll see familiar advanced, Ai Tweaker etc. Any setting or submenu inside that main section can be made visible

@Lost_N_BIOS yeah step 2 did correctly.
i found those settings to unhide so far. Do you know more for less latency and more overclocking potencial? :

-ACPI Settings
-Enable /disable HPET
-Enable /disable hibernation
-Enable /disable PEG Power Down unused Lanes
-Serial IRQ Mode
-Enable /disable TCO Timer
-unlock PCH P2SB

--------------------------

Hey bro I couldn’t wait for your answer so I test myself. I opened the biosreg, (i sent you) in amibcp and edit the access from default to user @hpet & hibernate saved it and upload it via the programmer successfully but after a reboot my pc stuck @bootlogo. I can’t get into bios or windows anymore & the boot led is on. Did I brick my Mainboard? @Lost_N_BIOS

@Dan111baSh - Thanks for list, sorry to hear you bricked your board Yes, that is bricked, You can’t edit this BIOS with AMIBCP possibly, or at least not the version you used (maybe none that are leaked, not sure).
Did you use 5.02.0023 or 5.02.0031? If 0031, then AMIBCP can’t be used on this BIOS, at least not direct edited then flashed without further manual editing (pull module it edits and insert manually on non-AMIBCP edited BIOS w/ UEFITool 25.0).

You will need CH341A Flash programmer to fix, and if BIOS is in a socket you need U Type Flat IC Extractor, if BIOS is soldered to board then you need SOIC8 test clip with cable (I think I see this type on your board, beside VPU chip between 2nd-3rd PCIE slot is BIOS).
Below is general examples of what you may need linked at ebay, these are just cheapest/slow shipped example, so you know what to shop for. You can get shipped faster for more $$ on ebay, and or on amazon, and on either you can find programmer and cable/clip in bundle too usually.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123255178089
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183425731977
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123167465408

What is BIOS chip ID, I’ll tell you best software to use to dump. Then once programmer arrives dump and send to me and I will fix BIOS for you and do the edits all at once.

* Edit - Wait! You said “Uploaded it via the programmer” Did you use flash programmer to program in BIOSreg.bin? Or did you mean FPT tool when you said “programmer”?
If you already have flash programmer now, we can fix right away If so, send me chip ID and I’ll tell you which software to use to dump chip so we can fix.

Hey Buddy, I just followed your guides, took the biosreg file opened it in amibcp 5.02.0023, editet useraccess from default to USER (only at hibernate and hpet for testing) saved it and took the ftpw.exe tool again and " FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin " it back to the Rom.

The transfer was successfully but after a pc restart I got this bootissue.

Where can I read my BIOS? CHIP ID?

@Dan111baSh - I don’t have any guide about AMIBCP, nor would I suggest using 2016 version on this BIOS.
5.02.0031 may work on this BIOS, not sure, but I do all edits manually myself, I do not use AMIBCP for anything other than inspection, looking at BIOS structure layouts, or extracting BIOS strings to get help ID’s
You can see BIOS chip ID printed on the chip itself, you may need to use magnifying glass and flashlight.

Is this the right one?
https://ibb.co/jDC7Tqk

@Dan111baSh - Yes, thanks! You have Winbond chip >> W25Q128FV - For that only use Colibri software, or ASProgrammer 1.41 - included here - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…213094641136166
Here is guide on how to use programmer - [GUIDE] Flash BIOS with CH341A programmer
Once you get it, dump the chip and send me dump, then I will fix BIOS for you and make changes you wanted at same time

Okay so I have to buy SOIC8 test clip with cable and the CH341A Flash programmer itself, right? @Lost_N_BIOS

@Dan111baSh - Yes, that’s all you need

I can buy a programmer from local eBay, but the seller told me that the spi datasignal
(MISO + MOSI) works with 5V instead 3.3V. Vcc still works with 3.3V correctly. Is that a huge problem? @Lost_N_BIOS

Edit : I ordered an other one. Should arrive on Tuesday. Hope we can repair it so easy

Ignore, it’s OK

@Lost_N_BIOS programmer arrived today :slight_smile:

Hope ive done it the right way :stuck_out_tongue:

here is the Dump

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00692807749258111688

Is it possible / necessary to update cpu Microcde or other OROM like Lan or RST? Does it improve Overclocking, Latency or Performance at all? If yes, can you update it, too? i use an Intel i5 7600k and 2x SSD (no RAID) and 2x HDD (RAID-0)

Thank you :slight_smile:

I tried to restore the bios dump from my 3rd post, but all I got is a red Cpu LED @boot. This should work? Just want to fix my daily :crazy_face: @Lost_N_BIOS

should i try to restore it with the official Bios file from Asus site?

edit: I managed to restore my Bioschip with the stock Bios file from the Asus site and the Mainboard is back again - Windows boots again :slight_smile:

so im on Day 0 again. Whats your Status at modding the Bios file? @Lost_N_BIOS

@Dan111baSh - Yes, I can update microcodes, but that affects all things you mentioned (may be positive or negative, only you testing can find out). LAN module is only used it you boot from LAN or Wake on LAN, RST only used if you use RAID (So, sounds like applies)
As mentioned, I would have to rebuild you a complete BIOS, your file at post #3 is partial BIOS (BIOS region only), so you cannot program that in by itself. Similar applies to stock BIOS from Asus, it would need edited first but is bootable once extracted from capsule.
It’s inside a capsule so that would need removed first, but then it would also wipe your system specific info if you programmed it too, without properly transferring all data into the BIOS first in all proper locations (there is several)
So, sounds like you did the last thing At least you got it back up and running again

Here is properly fixed BIOS, erase chip, blank check, open file, write/verify. Then clear CMOS, boot to BIOS and load optimized, then save and reboot back to BIOS and set everything how you want, then you are back to proper day 0
Then, please clarify again what you want visible in a list, and what you want updated, then I will make BIOS for you to flash again via FPT
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…745799577173541

Thank you so far @Lost_N_BIOS . Should I restore the "fixed file" via programmer or ftpw.exe tool?

Here is the list:
ACPI Settings menu
-Enable /disable Hpet
-Enable /disable hibernation
-Enable /disable TCO Timer
-unlock PCH P2SB

updating microcodes and Rst for testing would be nice, too

Via programmer, how I mentioned above
Then, rest we can do with FPT, thanks for list, I will do those edits now

* Edit @Dan111baSh - Can you see >> Advanced >> ACPI Settings?
Also, can you see >> PCH Configuration?
Please show me image of what you can see inside Advanced >> PCH Config at root level (And top to bottom, if you need to scroll up/down)

I made some Screenshots @Lost_N_BIOS