Request for Asus Prime Z-390-A (HPET)

Hello,
I would like to have a custom BIOS where I can enable/disable HPET and maybe remove Microcodes if thats not a big Problem that would be all

Bios Version im using:
https://easyupload.io/qs9kfh

if there is anything else u need to know let me know so i can update as fast as possible

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Still need more info here, I requested your CPU details in PM, please add here, including image like I asked for with HWINFO64
Also, you initially mention CFG lock too, not just HPET. Please make sure you have complete list above of what you want edited/revealed etc.

And, are you 100% sure you want to use ancient BIOS 0224? I highly suggest you use latest BIOS, there will be MANY bugs fixed, things improved etc, between that initial release BIOS and the latest one.
If there is some reason/issue or something you are avoiding latest BIOS because of let me know and maybe I can put that item from old BIOS into new BIOS instead of you staying on such old BIOS.

Hey Lost_N_Bios sorry, the bios I sent was the wrong one :smiley: here is the right one https://easyupload.io/ciifl0

And here is the screenshot of HWInfo64, as you requested and yes, CFG Lock would also be very nice to choose from. I make it clear again what I want to have in case there is any confusion I want older microcodes from 2018/10/31 if possible and CFG Lock as well as HPET that would be all that would make me very happy

Thanks in advance

HWInfo64 : https://imgur.com/a/25Ai8lN

@Sascha98 - I will use stock BIOS from Asus, so I don’t need you to upload anything. What version do you want me to edit?

What is your goal with old microcode? If you are wanting old microcode to avoid spectre/meltdown patches, there is no such thing for 9700K CPU, they are all baked into the CPU, so using oldest one you can find will be giving you bugs/restrictions for no reason, might as well use the latest one.
Unless you have some exact reason, like “someone said” xx version works best for my CPU and certain benchmark etc.

Here is list of microcodes for your CPUID
cpu906ED_plat22_ver000000AA_2018-11-29_PRD_05A0A797.bin
cpu906ED_plat22_ver000000B0_2019-02-04_PRD_43D86662.bin
cpu906ED_plat22_ver000000B8_2019-03-17_PRD_F414211B.bin
cpu906ED_plat22_ver000000BA_2019-04-30_PRD_9E96EE89.bin
cpu906ED_plat22_ver000000BE_2019-05-17_PRD_C24FCF05.bin
cpu906ED_plat22_ver000000C6_2019-08-14_PRD_FB15B2A4.bin
cpu906ED_plat22_ver000000CA_2019-10-03_PRD_2DCD81FE.bin
cpu906ED_plat22_ver000000CC_2019-12-12_PRD_94F4B441.bin
cpu906ED_plat22_ver000000D2_2020-01-09_PRD_02ACFA7D.bin
cpu906ED_plat22_ver000000D6_2020-04-23_PRD_1E9B32AD.bin

Pre-spectre/meltdown microcodes are all before 2018-01-04, and or before before 2nd June 2017 - All well before your CPU was even made/released

Note to self 9700K / R0 / 906ED

@Lost_N_BIOS

Hey about the Microcodes sorry i didnt knew that it would cause bugs/restrictions i will stick to the latest ones then and the Version that i want you to edit is 1502 :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance

@Sascha98 - Yes, if your goal was to avoid spectre/meltdown patches, you can’t, so best to use latest microcode
OK, I’ll edit 1502 now with latest microcodes (ALL), and make CFG Lock and HPET visible. Wait, before I do, can you see this submenu >> Advanced >> CPU Config << ? If yes, can you see >> Advanced >> CPU Config >> CPU - Power Management Control << ?

I assume you can see >> Advanced >> PCH Config << Correct? If yes, this is where I will make HPET visible (along with TCO Timer and some other settings as well)

Yes i can see all the Paths you mentioned @Lost_N_BIOS

@Sascha98 - OK, thanks! I will make following edits then
1. Advanced >> PCH Config >> Make HPET, TCO Timer, SPD Write (and some others) visible here
2. Advanced >> CPU Config >> CPU - Power Management Control >> Make CFG Lock visible here
3. Update all microcodes to latest version

@Lost_N_BIOS Yes that would be really nice of you :slight_smile:

• Edit - Sorry @Sascha98 - I didn’t realize until now that your system does not have USB Flashback - please show me an image of your save/exit page, if you see “Exit to Shell” or “launch UEFI Shell” select that item so I can see it’s help text (I think missing, that’s why I need to see image)
    You can F12 screenshot to USB - Ohh!, I see it now, >> Launch EFI Shell from USB drives << Please select this item on exit page, so I can see it’s help text

@Lost_N_BIOS no worries ~ https://imgur.com/a/wx2eFqh

@Sascha98 - Thanks, last image was the one I needed to see

You will need to first flash stock BIOS 1502 using EZ Flash, then do the following -

Here is guide you need to follow to disable some things to allow mod BIOS flash. Start at step #6, I’ve done #1-5 for you and info will be below
[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash

Rename .efi file to >> Shell.efi

Flash Protection Range Registers (FPRR variable to disable >> 0x127B
BIOS Lock Variable to disable >> 0xBBD

So, at grub prompt, you will type the following (case sensitive), one line at a time, enter between each
setup_var 0xBBD 0x00
setup_Var 0x127B 0x00

Then reboot, and do step #1-2 from here, if you can pass #2 without error, which you should be able to do after the above changes, then send me file from #1 this is what I will edit. (ignore PDR/GbE errors)

If you have already modified the BIOS in ANY way (Except above), you will need to re-flash it back to factory defaults using factory method (NOT FPT)!!!
Additionally, please remove all BIOS passwords, disable secure boot, and disable TPM or Encryption if you have enabled. Do this before moving on to below

If you do not have Intel ME drivers installed, install them now from your system driver download page, then start over here after reboot.
Check your BIOS’ main page and see if ME FW version is shown. If not then > DOWNLOAD HWINFO64 HERE <

Once HWINFO is open, look at the large window on the left side, expand motherboard, and find the ME area.
Inside that section is the ME Firmware version. Take note of the version. (ie. write it down or get a screenshot)

Once you have that, go to the thread linked below, and in the section “C.2” find and download the matching ME System Tools Package for your system.
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
> DOWNLOAD " ME System Tools " packages HERE <

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and then inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder (NOT x64).
Highlight that Win/Win32 folder, then hold shift and press right click. Choose “open command window here” (Not power shell! >> * See Registry file below *).

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

((If “open command window here” does not appear, look for the “Simple Registry Edit” below…))

Step #1

Now you should be at the command prompt.
You are going to BACKUP the factory un-modified firmware, so type the following command:
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin "

>> Attach the saved "biosreg.bin ", placed into a compressed ZIP/RAR file, to your next post!!! <<

Step #2

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error(s).
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin "
^^ This step is important! Don’t forget! ^^

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

Here is a SIMPLE REGISTRY EDIT that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu, instead of Power Shell
Double-click downloaded file to install. Reboot after install may be required
> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD CMD PROMPT REGISTRY ENTRY <

If the windows method above does NOT work for you…
Then you may have to copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a Bootable USB disk and do the dump from DOS
( DOS command: " FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin " )

And sorry, I have to run for now, but will get back on this for you first thing tomorrow