[Request] Gigabyte Aorus 15 X9 CPU Upgrade

Hi i have an Aorus 15 X9 with a i7-8750H as CPU and Intel HM370 as Chipset. Yeah, i know , its soldered, its’s not an easy game. I don’t want to do this by my hands, i want to buy or contract a service from a specialized technical service to do this. But code problems appears in the way… i need to put a microcode of the highest generation in the bios, how can i do that and unlock everything of the bios? according to platomav’s MC Extractor it is the same platform. i used/looked aorus 15 x9 bios and aorus 15 xa bios, both computers are very similar one is the upgrade from the other. The i7-9750h its the diference between them. Someone can give me a hand to not brick my computer in the bios upgrade? or if you are so kind do this work?

Edit: i cant post a link or my bios i dont know how to share it with you

Edit by Fernando: Thread title shortened

@Upgrader001 - When you reply, then you can link
Please do step #1-2 and let me know what error you get on step #2 if any >>

If you have already modified the BIOS in ANY way, you will need to re-flash it back to factory defaults using factory method (NOT FPT)!!!
Additionally, please remove all BIOS passwords, disable secure boot, and disable TPM or Encryption if you have enabled. Do this before moving on to below

If you do not have Intel ME drivers installed, install them now from your system driver download page, then start over here after reboot.
Check your BIOS’ main page and see if ME FW version is shown. If not then > DOWNLOAD HWINFO64 HERE <

Once HWINFO is open, look at the large window on the left side, expand motherboard, and find the ME area.
Inside that section is the ME Firmware version. Take note of the version. (ie. write it down or get a screenshot)

Once you have that, go to the thread linked below, and in the section “C.2” find and download the matching ME System Tools Package for your system.
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
> DOWNLOAD " ME System Tools " packages HERE <

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and then inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder (NOT x64).
Highlight that Win/Win32 folder, then hold shift and press right click. Choose “open command window here” (Not power shell! >> * See Registry file below *).

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

((If “open command window here” does not appear, look for the “Simple Registry Edit” below…))

Step #1

Now you should be at the command prompt.
You are going to BACKUP the factory un-modified firmware, so type the following command:
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin "

>> Attach the saved "biosreg.bin ", placed into a compressed ZIP/RAR file, to your next post!!! <<

Step #2

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error(s).
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin "
^^ This step is important! Don’t forget! ^^

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

Here is a SIMPLE REGISTRY EDIT that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu, instead of Power Shell
Double-click downloaded file to install. Reboot after install may be required
> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD CMD PROMPT REGISTRY ENTRY <

If the windows method above does NOT work for you…
Then you may have to copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a Bootable USB disk and do the dump from DOS
( DOS command: " FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin " )

@Lost_N_BIOS

Aorus 15 X9 MY LAPTOP BIOS https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/AORUS-15…support-dl-bios

Aorus 15 XA bios https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/AORUS-15…support-dl-bios

I’m goint to follow your steps. i tell you in a few minutes.

@Lost_N_BIOS

So what it comes now? What are the instructions?
--------------------------

@Lost_N_BIOS

i’ve got an error and bios is over 6 mb so i uploaded to mediafire http://www.mediafire.com/file/x7chz3j8sr6125j/file
and i uploaded a image with the error.

@Upgrader001 - Cooling may not properly support/cool the CPU you want, so be ready for a hot system and or loud fans!
I know, both are 45W, but still, I suspect the i9 will run much hotter, especially at load

Ohh! This BIOS is Insyde BIOS
I can still probably edit menu for you, but it’s not as easy, nor does it offer as much as AMI BIOS.
For the menu edit stuff, please show me images of ALL 100% of the BIOS, all menus at root level, all submenu content from top to bottom, ALL Settings on ALL pages
You may be able to F12 screenshot to USB. If not, please resize camera images down to 1000px wide, and then max compress them into zip/rar.

Before you created the above file and tried step #2, did you do the stuff mentioned in the spoiler in regards to BIOS settings changes?
If yes, OK, if not, do them now, then make new dump and try again to confirm still 167 (I do not need this file, but later you will make a new one)
Always keep all those things set as mentioned until we are done (secure boot disabled, BIOS password removed, TPM/Encryption disabled)

For the 167 error, please do the following so we can see about getting past that without you having to get a flash programmer - download the following package, and run the command below from each versions folder that directly contains it’s exe.
Once done, copy the entire folder somewhere, delete everything but any created vars.txt and then repackage this and send to me, this way all created vars.txt remain in place in the folders of the version that created them.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…212104496994806

i have seen 9980hk in semithin latops like mine, and no porblems. But its another discussion

ok i did it, just download them

i readed everything, from top to bottom of the the text, and same results

what commands, where?i downloaded the packages but i can’t see commands.

other thing, i’m interested in overclocking, is that posible with this bios-frankestein are we going to make? and a nomarl bios with compatibility with booteable pendrive(i cant install my own os, i have been doing everything with an unformated computer, im desperated)

@Upgrader001 - Yes, but that other model may have better cooling inside, more fans, or a larger heatpipe etc.

Sorry, I forgot to add the command for H2OUVE, see below >> Please download the following package, and run the command below from each versions folder that directly contains it’s exe.
Once done, copy the entire folder somewhere, delete everything but any created vars.txt and then repackage this and send to me, this way all created vars.txt remain in place in the folders of the version that created them.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…212104496994806

H2OUVE.exe -gv vars.txt

I am not sure about Overclocking, this is first time you mentioned, so I had not looked at the settings at all. I will check now, is that an unlocked CPU? << Yes, I checked about this, K is unlock on laptop too
It boosts to 5GHz by default, I doubt you would want or need to overclock it more than that in a laptop anyway
I checked BIOS, and yes, there is plenty of OC options once unlocked, main one would be >> Core Max OC Ratio, along with you then being able to adjust PL1/PL2 values too.

ready

H20UVE-Get2.zip (64.8 KB)

@Upgrader001 - Here, copy this into H20UVE_100.00.16.08 folder, then run the following command below.
https://ufile.io/kraknmjv

H2OUVE.exe -sv varsM.txt

There will be a list of success/failure, then reboot and FPT step #1 again with new file name (or toss all previous biosreg.bin files) then check #2 again, it should pass without error.
Once confirmed you pass #2 now without error, upload the new biosreg.bin file for me to edit

the folder should look like this inside?

Folder.jpg

-----------------------------
ready

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ixmc4ka5ed23942/file

please tell me if i can brick my laptop and in what step we are in that danger please?

success.jpg

@Upgrader001 - Great, now it’s unlocked, and you can write in mod BIOS. No, as long as nothing goes wrong, your BIOS should not brick.
If ever using FPT and you see RED Warning or SIZE warning, stop, do not reboot, show me what you did (ie show command entered AND and the error all in one image).
GbE warning is normal and you can ignore when/if you see that.

Now, to the actual mod. I will insert 906ED microcode for you, this is not any issue, but for the BIOS/Menu edits, the only currently hidden from you Main Menu item is “Power”
Below in spoiler is all settings within that, and my thoughts/question etc. Check that out and let me know, do you need to take a risk to try and enable this, or it’s OK and you can do without?
For the rest of the menu and hidden settings, I can reveal those to you without any worry at all, not a problem. But, for this, I will need you to show me the BIOS as you see it now, the images I asked about in post #5, I need those now

These are the only settings in the hidden menu, so maybe not worth risking a possible brick to test and see if I have the unlock edit correct on this!?
Up to you though, if you want to try, I will send you BIOS so you can see if I edited it correct. Outcome if incorrect may be no change to the menu at all, stalled BIOS entry and you have to recover via DOS or windows BIOS re-flash, or may = brick and only way to recover is via flash programmer.

Power, FormId: 0x1 {01 86 01 00 44 16}
0xBE624 QuestionId: 0x8 equals value in list (0x0, 0x1, 0x2, 0x3, 0x4) {14 10 08 00 05 00 00 00 01 00 02 00 03 00 04 00}
0xBE634 One Of: ACPI S1, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x84, VarStore: 0x1234, QuestionId: 0x1, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x1, Step: 0x0 {05 91 45 16 47 16 01 00 34 12 84 00 00 10 00 01 00}
0xBE645 One Of Option: Disabled, Value (8 bit): 0x0 (default) {09 07 B8 15 10 00 00}
0xBE64C One Of Option: Enabled, Value (8 bit): 0x1 {09 07 B9 15 00 00 01}

0xBE66B One Of: Wake on PME, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x86, VarStore: 0x1234, QuestionId: 0x402, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x1, Step: 0x0 {05 91 48 16 49 16 02 04 34 12 86 00 04 10 00 01 00}
0xBE67C One Of Option: Disabled, Value (8 bit): 0x0 {09 07 B8 15 00 00 00}
0xBE683 One Of Option: Enabled, Value (8 bit): 0x1 (default) {09 07 B9 15 10 00 01}

0xBE68C One Of: Wake on Modem Ring, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x87, VarStore: 0x1234, QuestionId: 0x2, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x1, Step: 0x0 {05 91 4A 16 4B 16 02 00 34 12 87 00 00 10 00 01 00}
0xBE69D One Of Option: Disabled, Value (8 bit): 0x0 (default) {09 07 B8 15 10 00 00}
0xBE6A4 One Of Option: Enabled, Value (8 bit): 0x1 {09 07 B9 15 00 00 01}

0xBE6AD One Of: Auto Wake on S5, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x88, VarStore: 0x1234, QuestionId: 0x3, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x2, Step: 0x0 {05 91 4C 16 4D 16 03 00 34 12 88 00 00 10 00 02 00}
0xBE6BE One Of Option: Disabled, Value (8 bit): 0x0 (default) {09 07 B8 15 10 00 00}
0xBE6C5 One Of Option: By Every Day, Value (8 bit): 0x1 {09 07 4F 16 00 00 01}
0xBE6CC One Of Option: By Day of Month, Value (8 bit): 0x2 {09 07 4E 16 00 00 02}

0xBE6F1 Time: Wake on S5 Time, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x89, VarStore: 0x1234, QuestionId: 0x4 {1B 8E 50 16 C1 15 04 00 34 12 89 00 00 00}
0xBE6FF Default: DefaultId: 0x0, Value (Time) {5B 08 00 00 05 00 00 00}

0xBE72B Numeric: Day of Month, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x8C, VarStore: 0x1234, QuestionId: 0x5, Size: 1, Min: 0x1, Max 0x1F, Step: 0x1 {07 91 51 16 C2 15 05 00 34 12 8C 00 00 10 01 1F 01}
0xBE73C Default: DefaultId: 0x0, Value (8 bit): 0x1 {5B 06 00 00 00 01}

S5 Long Run Test, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x199, VarStore: 0x1234, QuestionId: 0x6, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x1, Step: 0x0 {05 91 74 16 75 16 06 00 34 12 99 01 00 10 00 01 00}
0xBE76B One Of Option: Disabled, Value (8 bit): 0x0 (default) {09 07 B8 15 10 00 00}
0xBE772 One Of Option: Enabled, Value (8 bit): 0x1 {09 07 B9 15 00 00 01}

You wil have to explain me this better, i don’t know how to react if i get that situation or case.

i prefer to NOT run the risk, leave it hidden.

if there is no risk, let’s go, tell me what images do you need.

i prefer to NOT run the risk, leave it hidden.

okay, imagine that i brick the computer , how can i do a rescue?, if occurs, can you teach me to it and what things i need to buy?

I have a doubt, it is posible to put the microcodes of the 10980hk? or the chipset it’s the limitation?do i need a physical upgrade removing chips and soldering other ones to reach hm470 or its just a code?

i have now the i7-8750H which is not unlocked from factory? is this going to work and run with risk?

------------------------------------------------

sorry i didnt uploaded de images in post 5 take a look here, tell me if is what you need.
@Lost_N_BIOS

Downloads.zip (2.1 MB)

@Upgrader001 - I explained best I can, if you see Red warning STOP, DO NOT REBOOT. Show me an image of the command you entered and the warning you see below it (all on same CMD Window, so I can see all at once)
OK, thanks, we’ll leave power hidden If you need any of those settings changed in there, let me know and I can change them without issue or worry
Thanks for the images, please wait, I will get mod BIOS done for you soon

“If you brick” then you would need CH341A + SOIC8 / SOP8 test clip with cable, these tools cost $7 if ordered cheap/slow shipped, but can be $12-15+ if you want to get them faster.
Yes, I can put in any microcode, this is not a problem Your chipset already supports this CPU, so provided gigabyte did not specifically block other CPU’s (which they normally would not) then all you need is the correct microcode in there.
The main major risk here is you finding someone good enough to swap out the CPU for a decent price, and do it properly/cleanly etc. Have you already asked some shops? If yes, what are they charging you?
Have you even look at the board?? The CPU may be in a socket like normal desktop, and you can just swap out easily yourself. If you have not looked yet, look now

@Lost_N_BIOS
can you put a tiger lake microcode? that is going to work if and run i put a tiger lake cpu or i asking so much?chipset doesnt comes to relevance in the compatibility of the motherboard with the processor? in simple words, whats the maximium generation of intel that i can achieve?

@Upgrader001 - No, I don’t even know what is tiger lake, so I doubt that will get you anywhere. I can put it there, but it will be useless For this chipset (HM370) you can put coffee lake, that is all - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/…l#tab-blade-1-1
I also forgot to mention, the VRM/Power delivery system on this may not be up to using 9980HK either. Where you purchased this, do they offer the same model sold with that CPU and this board?
OK, working on BIOS now

no i bought this computer to a particular person, but i know a computer with a power source of 230w that can run a i9-9980hk and a 2070 mobile. Anyways can you put an i9-9980hk, i9-11980HK tiger lake and i9-10980HK microcodes? is that posible? the chipsets are very similar, may be that can run. thanks for you patience and work.

@Upgrader001 - Your first comment does not make sense to me. But the second part of that, about the power supply, that does not matter and is unrelated to what I mentioned about power delivery system (I’m talking about VRM/power delivery components on the motherboard)
Yes, it’s possible to put in Tiger Lake Microcodes, all you do is insert them But, no I will not do that as it’s pointless, they will not work and that is a totally different CPU socket

Here is unlocked BIOS + 906ED inserted, change log included - https://ufile.io/vn9go54s
Flash it back via FPT using this command >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosregNEWuCFCITCHKSetM1.bin
* You may need to rename it, unsure if FPT likes long names like that

*** WARNING - To ANYONE with laptop and unlocked BIOS!!!
DO NOT try to enable this graphics card or disable that card, switch cards etc. Otherwise you will end up with no display output (ie black screen) and no way to recover except by blind flash or with flash programmer.
You can change graphics related settings, like changing memory sizes, or core speeds etc, just don’t try to disable one card or change which is main etc.

Additionally, be very careful when trying to undervolt CPU, you can leave BIOS unbootable due to CPU voltage too low (Sometimes even 0.05 is too much)

WARNING *** - This BIOS is user specific! If you are not user Upgrader001 at Win-RAID.com forum, DO NOT USE THIS BIOS!!
If you do, and you are not Upgrader001, then you will loose your serial, UUID, OG NVRAM, and possibly LAN MAC ID as well.
You have been warned!!!

thank you so much. Just i have to re download intel me things because i formatted the computer.
@Lost_N_BIOS how is the step by step to flash the bios?
-------------

@Lost_N_BIOS what i did… i renamed the bios to 1.bin then i went to \Intel CSME System Tools v12 r26\Flash Programming Tool\ and i opened WIN32 with a console as a admin and i puted FPTw.exe -bios -f 1.bin with the image inside the folder. Something its wrong or its all right?

are we ready to reboot is this safe, im very nervous.jpg

@Upgrader001 - Please use edit instead of making multiple replies in a row, thanks
Looks good, reboot and all should be unlocked and BIOS ready for the other CPU

I’m back, thank you.