[Request] How to Access Locked/Hidden BIOS Menu Settings

OK, well then get me dump and I’ll take a look for you.

I was finally able to make it home. I not quite sure how to create an afu dump with insydeh20 bios. What would I need as far as utilities to create it?

@mikeshutte - dump it with Universal BIOS backup toolkit - https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details…up_toolkit.html
This may give false positive virus warning, disable before downloading or ignore if it will let you do that. Also, screen will freeze when you run it and you can’t move window, have to wait until it’s done.
1. Run it as an admin
2. Press READ
3. Wait until it has finished
4. Press BACKUP
5. Save your BIOS

Sorry it took me so long top get back to you, been very busy lately. I was able to get the bios dump for the hp. I have attached it. If there is anything else you may need let me know.

Insyde-F.48.zip (2.05 MB)

@mikeshutte - what model BIOS is this so I can put in properly named folder, and how did you dump it? I found your link, is this the exact model name, and does it also have some shorter model name? HP 2000-2b30DX
You just need unlock attempt, and or find the setting possibly using up memory correct?

Unlock may not be possible due to RSA internally signed BIOS, still researching on this model and trying to find older F5*****.exe BIOS for your system - F48 is signed (The BIOS you are using, I see HPSign 256 byte key in stock BIOS package)
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-I…A-Signed-BIOSes

But, even if we can’t mod BIOS, you may still be able to change the setting causing this, via EZH20UVE or grub / setup_var, if I can find the one that may be causing the memory issue
Which platform is yours, so I can check for this possible setting to change - never mind, I can use your dump… DUH!
PlatformName1=188B << This one!
PlatformName2=2128

How much memory do you have installed, and what OS Type are you using 32/64? Also, please post an image of task manager performance tab
Have you tried swapping the sticks, cleaning the gold fingers etc? Can you confirm on another system both sticks are in working order? And, can you confirm on this system with other memory, or one stick at a time, that both slots function properly?

Digging into the settings - I see this BIOS has PowerXpress and PX Fix/PX Dynamic Mode and many related graphics settings, so I believe in this model you can disable one or the other of graphics, so both are not used at once, and you can pick/choose the one you want to use.
This may help later, and I’m sure many want to know since this is often desired ability that many laptops don’t offer.

I found it!

UMA mode, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x156, VarStore: 0x1234, QuestionId: 0xE5, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x2, Step: 0x0 {05 A6 D0 02 D1 02 E5 00 34 12 56 01 04 10 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00}
One Of Option: None, Value (8 bit): 0x0 {09 0E D2 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00}
One Of Option: Auto, Value (8 bit): 0x2 (default) {09 0E BC 01 10 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00} << Default = probably = enabled
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/…-is-uma.609112/

If you know how to use grub / setup_var, do this and then test and see how the memory looks >> setup_var 0x156 0x0
If you aren’t familiar with grub and setup_var, here I my guide on this, start at step #6
[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash
Alt boot to grub when no boot to EFI on exit page - [Help needed] Hidden Advanced menu Bios HP Z1 J52_0274.BIN (2) << This applies to you/this BIOS

Ok cool ill give it a try either tonight or tomorrow and see how it goes. I let you know whats up. And thanks again.

Hello Lost_N_Bios, i read some of your work and your findings about unlocking bios and flashing with the right tools. First of all i would like to say thank you about all your hard work for this community. I’ve got some questions about unlocking the hidden sections in the bios. After alot of searching about how to flash the new gigabyte motherboard, I tried to edit some values and make some settings available using AMIBCP_5020031 but i can’t really show up the hidden sections even if i put the main folder SETUP to USER. If i link the bios i would like to flash can you help me to unlock the hidden sections? My MB is z390 master aorus and this is the bios : https://www.mediafire.com/file/4m1006nmz8611aw/Z390.F9/file .
I’m still learning and I would like to understand more about the bios modding. Thank you again <3

@Lost_N_BIOS , sir do you still have the file for this? #165

I have this bios update file (ITEM_20141028_21442_WIN_P09ABI.exe) . Exactly the same file that was posted here #135 which from my understanding sir you have managed to extract the bios files as posted here and unlocked it. I assumed its compatible with my laptop since he mentioned on this post that his laptop model is samsung np550p5c-s05in mine is np550p5c-t01ae…so should be the same. tho I’m not really sure sir if the bios is from a fpt dump or from the bios files you have extracted from the samsung update.

my laptop specs not sure if it will help but here : https://pastebin.com/WW45NjKu

I’m trying to find a way to change my laptop dvmt pre-allocated memory , disable the discrete gpu and also disable bios whitelisting [planning to replace the wlan card on my laptop minipcie with egpu] . it seems unlocked bios is my only hope to do that.

@noNa23131 - Sorry I missed your post until now. Yes, I can help you with your BIOS, please make a thread specific for your board and I can help.

@nichigo13 - Please edit out all those quotes, it’s not necessary. Please link me to the exact post where you want a BIOS from that is no longer there and I can reupload.
I can’t even tell from those quotes, or their links, what BIOS or board this is talking about. If I posted some unlocked BIOS for someone, read back and make sure it’s not a FPT dump, if it is then it’s user specific and you’ll need to let me know this so I can make you one for your board.

@Lost_N_BIOS my post was really confusing I didn’t realize… I’m very sorry for that sir. I have edited my post sir please take a look. Thank you

@nichigo13 - np550p5c-s05in mine is np550p5c-t01ae <<< Those are not same models, so you may not be able to use same BIOS.
But, that BIOS I posted is created from a FPT dump anyway, so you cannot use it. However, all you have to do is give me your FPT dump and then I can make new BIOS for you

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
If your ME is same as akm’s, or at least close, you need ME System tools V8
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error, if you do show me image of the command entered and the error given >>
FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

sorry this took so long… I’m using windows 8.1 and i cant find any entry for ME Firmware version in HWInfo even in Device Manager /system devices i can’t find it anymore [I’m pretty sure it used to be there since i always install the drivers for it.) I even install windows 10 just to see if it will appear again but no help. my guess, is my current bios doesn’t support it? (i updated my laptop before to latest bios ver. (p09abi) but my laptop got broke. I believe the technician reprogrammed my bios now i’m using P03ABI) … should i update it? (the reason i’m not updating to the latest one yet because my discrete gpu died while using the latest bios. but now miraculously works again after getting reprogrammed by the technician).

Sounds like your ME FW got corrupted, it should be there. Since you had someone program your BIOS, even more likely they messed it up! This is not something you can usually fix with BIOS update, but you can try.
BIOS repair techs are (often) the worst, always lazy, never do it correctly, often put in the wrong model BIOS, or program in partial stock BIOS which looses ME FW, your serials, UUID etc.

Nothing you can do now except purchase a flash programmer (CH341A) and a SOIC8 test clip with cable and then we can fix your BIOS properly, making you BIOS tech and then you know you wont half-arse it
We could maybe get by with AFU, but from what I saw looking back at the original conversation that was leading no where fast and I hate AFU anyway (Often makes more of a BIOS mess)

BIOS wouldn’t mess up your graphics card, unless you flash in wrong BIOS for your model, then the vBIOS inside BIOS may not work with your graphics card, so that may be what the original issue was.
If you try that again, be 100% sure you are using the correct BIOS for your model.

is it possible it got corrupted itself or its just a bad re-flashing done by my technician ? tbh I remember still seeing it even after getting my laptop repaired since i frequently reinstall my os… anyway you’re right sir I’ve updated my bios to the latest ver. and it doesn’t help tho I’ve managed to extract the files from the update but i’m not sure if it has uses anymore since from my understanding ME is necessary for bios modding.

I’m afraid sir i don’t think i have enough brain to do this. i can’t even solder properly … it will only result to my laptop being destroyed.

It’s possible, if you tried to update it or the BIOS, but most likely this is their lazy/dumb way of doing things, it’s common practice among these kind of tech’s.
Same thing happens if you pay to download a BIOS from a BIOS recovery site, or order a BIOS from someone selling recovery BIOS chips to fix your model etc.

No soldering is required for what I mentioned, this is a USB tool and a clip that you clip onto the BIOS chip, it’s easy, people do it all the time that think they can’t

FPT is required to get mod BIOS on there, or flash programmer. You can try FPT from DOS and see if it will work, I’m not sure though if ME is messed up.
Download the V8 ME System tools package, make a DOS Bootable USB, copy all files from the FPT DOS folder to the root of the USB and then boot to USB and run these commands below

FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin
FPT.exe -me -d me.bin
If both of those files are created (Success message in green), great, once back in windows send me both in a zip
Then before you reboot from DOS run this command and show me image >> FPT.exe -I

If all give error, then ME is missing or corrupt and you will need flash programmer probably. We can try to get AFU to flash in ME, since it would be stock this should be possible, but I’ll have to look.
If we have to, and get that done with AFU, then you would be able to use FPT to flash in the mod BIOS.

Never mind, stock BIOS does not contain ME FW image, this is probably the reason BIOS you purchased is messed up too (extra lazy tech did not put in ME Possibly)? Can’t know for sure without complete dump of the chip

Now you’ just convinced me to try it are these good enough ? https://shopee.ph/CH341A-24-25-Series-EE…9062.1435189978 tbh i really thought you need to solder some shit to the motherboard to reprogram a bios. that’s why I never bothered to do it. Thanks for the enlightenment sir

FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

FPT.exe -me -d me.bin

FPT.exe -I

Here are the files https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yxB6yy…xynlvEqzRw5ptNE

@nichigo13 - No soldering needed, here’s some guides showing images and how it works, easy once you know how to do it
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-G…341A-programmer << Same as one directly below, but with all images expanded/visible at once
[GUIDE] Flash BIOS with CH341A programmer
[Guide] Using CH341A-based programmer to flash SPI EEPROM
[GUIDE] The Beginners Guide to Using a CH341A SPI Programmer/Flasher (With Pictures!)

Yes, that kit is all you need!

Great you can dump BIOS region, can you now test writing it back and tell me what error # you get if any >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin
SMI Lock and BIOS Lock look to be disabled by default in your BIOS dump, so it should flash without error, but we need to test first to be sure.
Once we get this unlocked, I can send you unlocked BIOS, first with just ME re-flash enabled, so you can maybe fix ME FW (if not, programmer will be required unless you want to do pinmod - which is shorting pins on board while powering it on)
I confirmed you have same BIOS as that other one we’ve been discussing

Please run MEInfoWin from the MEInfo folder >> MEINfoWin.exe -verbose
Show me entire output, if it gives you anything other than error.

@Lost_N_BIOS Thanks for the links, I’m going to study that when my tools arrived.

Here’s the output i got from FPTw64.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin

here’s the output i got from MEINFOWin64.exe -verbose
https://pastebin.com/WXaddsNF

Nice looks like there’s still some hope left for my bios before i proceed with programmer well anyway, I’m still going to try programmer since u got me intrigued with it … i love messing with my system as long there’s a way to recover it when i messed up.

@nichigo13 - Good there was no error to write BIOS region with FPT, less hassle for you to deal with!

Yes, maybe we can fix without programmer, but it may give you some pain (may require several flashes and some dancing until we can make it happen )
Please test these BIOS in order, with reboot after each flash then enter BIOS and load optimal defaults (restore defaults), make any other changes you need, then boot to windows and try to flash ME FW region via this command with the included ME.bin >> FPTw.exe -me -f me.bin
If you can’t flash ME via FPT with BIOS #1, repeat flash/reboot, load optimal, etc with BIOS #2, and so on

1. BCP
2. SetOnly
3. BCPSet
4. NVO
5. BCPNV
6. SetNV
7. BCPSetNV

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…141803188511676

@Lost_N_BIOS tried all of them… still can’t write to ME region with fpt
https://imgur.com/a/rznGgsw