[Request] How to Access Locked/Hidden BIOS Menu Settings

I will include new ME next time around. Ohh wait! You mean I used file with older ME vs previously I didn’t? If yes, sorry about that, I may have grabbed the other one without ME update wanting to check these menus real quick.
I can put ME back in again, sit tight, sorry about that if that’s what happened! And… that was it, sorry man

*Edit, here is same file with latest ME again, sorry for my confusion, I have a mountain of your BIOS here
https://www.sendspace.com/file/dx3hdx

Put this one in todays folder, and delete the same named one, that way you have proper copy of this set with ME updated too.

Yes. I will wait for the updated files with latest ME, no problem.

Is this BIOS going to expose HPET setting?

Yes, please remove the M. I put lots of stuff after file name and always try to name it back to stock for your flash due to the batch files, sorry didn’t correct that one fully. As long as it’s the 4MB one and edited today you know it’s the correct file.

On HPET, Yes, I think so, it’s at… I had a long post above with this info on post #40 but IE crashed on me and I had to retype all that, so missing some info
And ahhh! Nope, it’s in part of the “Main” section I didn’t enable because there’s 100’s of settings that don’t apply, like airplane mode, wireless and laptop power brick modes etc.
I will enable that next round, or at least that setting alone and see if it appears for you, if not I may need to enable the whole huge pile

Yes, in Performance Tuning >> CPU Configuration, second EIST and second Turbo Boost both are visible. When I disable Turbo Boost there and also in original CPU Configuration page, it does get disabled. ThrottleStop and CPU multiplier confirm that Turbo Boost is disabled as I check in Windows. So, it is working now.

I should mention that ThrottleStop still show SpeedStep as active, so probably there is still some SpeedStep setting there in BIOS which is not yet exposed.

I have attached the screens of Performance Tuning Section. There are some overclocking options exposed there. I have not taken screens of those. And yes, there is no screen of South Bridge Configuration Menu as it is blank.

Please do not remove any of the settings that you have exposed until now. Although I may not be needing all of them, it will be interesting to play around with some and learn about their effects.

Edit: There is no Chipset Menu now. Previously, you exposed that Menu which was blank with no settings available. Now that blank page is also not there.

Thanks, and sorry about chipset not being shown now it wasn’t my intention, must have been two enable methods = disabled again, lets see if this fixes that and carry on from there.
If this does not, then I will go back to the other BIOS mod where it was enabled and start again not touching chipset menu this time. If chipset is visible again, please send images of all that’s included in it, and within it’s sub-menus

On speedstep, there is two settings, one you can see now in the Performance Tuning > CPU Config spelled out Enhanced Intel Speed Step, and the other in the main “Advanced” section called EIST abbreviated. Those are the only two speedstep options in the BIOS I noticed, but I’ll look again.
Are you seeing throttling on CMOD or Chip? It says here, EIST/Speedstep has to be enabled otherwise throttlestop can’t control the CPU - http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/…p-guide.531329/

What CPU do you have? I see there is now speed shift, superseding speedstep. South bridge is blank on my end, nothing to enable, sorry (With that said, I will disable SB now).
I see limited north bridge (@ memory profile and XMP 1-2 only), so I will enable more and see if you can view more there this time?
For all those “Overclocking” x6 menus under NB/SB section, do you see 5-8 settings in each or no?

Please also check “Main” page section again, do you now see High Precision Timer and another Turbo & EIST? If not, I will try one more enable on those, but there is literally 100’s of settings in this one hidden menu and I’d rather not expose that all at once and not sure if I can due to no menu name by default.
New options added in boot too now. Lots of new options this testing round, but I’m mentioning these here now because they are outside of the normal areas you might look while digging around
For these, please send image of what you see at Boot >> UEFI Setting menu entry, so I can enable if options are missing there.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/nhxokb

There’s enough enabled now for you to get lost I think

Yes, Chipset Menu along with its settings is visible. Please see the screens in the attachment Folder here. The Navigation is denoted in the name of the file (for each screen captured). There are screens of Advanced Menu and Boot Menu as well.

System does throttle upon demanding CPU usage as shown by ThrottleStop (and it has always been like that).

In my understanding if you want ThrottleStop to control the CPU, you will have to enable SpeedStep either in BIOS or through ThrottleStop (if it is able to). But by default, ThrottleStop just shows you the current status of the system whether SpeedStep is enabled or not. And since it shows enabled on my system, I suspect there is a third SpeedStep setting somewhere in BIOS which needs to be disabled too. But I could be wrong.

Core i7 4790K.

Nope. The same options as previously. You can see the screen in the attachment.

In the attachment, you can see the screens of all the Overclocking Menus except for "Overclocking GT Option" which is blank. I should mention that only 2 to 5 options are there in each screen.

No. In the attachment I have shared the Main Menu screen as well. There are no new options.

Yes, I have shared the screen of Boot Menu as well in the attachment. UEFI Setting Menu has just one option - UEFI setting which I have Disabled. Oh well, if I had enabled UEFI, more options may have appeared. I will check that and share that screen the next time.

Haha.

Thanks! You could upload files to a file host too if you wanted, instead of attaching all here (For next time, in case it’s more convenient to you - for me it is, due to how files from attachments download here with strange names)

Great! We have chipset!!

On speedstep, I assume it has to be enabled in the BIOS first before throttlestop would be able to enable/disable it. And it looked to me like you need to set how you want, apply/save and exit the program, then reboot and reopen the app before some changes take place.
I don’t use it though, but that was what I gathered from reading a few guides about it. It shows speedstep enabled on my system too, and it’s definitely not, always disabled and no fluctuations at all.

On NB, I will check, thanks. And thank you for all the images, that’s why I asked for them because some menus only few options and others have lots, but I need to see what you get first in an image so I can know what gets shown by default just for enabling a root option vs what I may need to further enable within that section.
It’s all much easier in person if I had the hardware, then I can edit/edit and look at the BIOS all in real time, but this dance we do is OK with me as long as progression little slow is OK with you

Pleases post Boot >> UEFI entry image too when you get a chance, thanks! And I mean boot >> UEFI sub-section, not just boot >> UEFI setting, there should now be a sub-section for UEFI settings too not just UEFI Boot enable/disable
Or did you mean you already checked, nothing new at sub-section? I assume the settings would be there no matter what, but maybe not, maybe you needed to enable UEFI Boot and reboot to then check?
Not sure, but if it’s nothing you need for now we can forget about it and then if you need sometime in the future we can come back to check and enable all if needed.

Here is new BIOS again, this time enabled a few more options in some of the menus you showed in the images, some there were no more to add (Few I didn’t add in some for safety)
https://nofile.io/f/95nh6GqbsuD/More+Again-8-10.rar

OK, here’s the huge option, or issue I enabled a master hidden menu option, that has 100’s of settings in it, but no menu title/name.
This will be on your “Main” section, underneath Offboard SATA configuration as a blank named entry with only > showing - Never mind, I had to name it or you can’t enter that section, so it’s now named TweakIt

I do not know the outcome of enabling this menu, or if it’s the same in all instances, but almost all BIOS carry a similar hidden section
Crap, I just tested the same menu enable on an Asus Z170 BIOS before doing this on your BIOS, and it showed up there but blank or named you cannot enter it.
So, no luck today, I’ll have to keep working on this for you and testing on my end, to figure out a way to show the High Precision Timer and another Turbo & EIST from this hidden section

@Fernando - sorry for the dupe here, you can combine I just forgot to edit in and hit reply as I typed it out.

"TweakIt" does not appear in Main section. There has been no change at all in Main Menu.

Ok, thanks! I fail to understand why they kept Turbo and EIST at three places.

Yes, when I uploaded the latest stock BIOS, the folder was shared on mediafire.com. When the file/folder size is less than 6MB, I don’t have any problem uploading the files here.

Hmm. I won’t worry about the status of SpeedStep as shown by ThrottleStop. As I get access to the third SpeedStep in BIOS, I would disable it as well and then not think about it at all.

Yes, I understand. I do not mind if we progress slowly. In fact, I am grateful to you for all your help and the time that you spend on this.

Please see the attachment Folder here. I have added Boot Menu and UEFI Boot Menu screens. Some more screens have also been added where I saw new options added. It was difficult to take pics of all the Menus and their sub-settings, as there are really a lot of them now. So, I have taken the pics of the most relevant screens which would give you an idea about the new settings exposed.

I am not concerned about UEFI much as I am not a fan of it. I do all legacy installations. Having said that, the options that have been exposed in Boot Menu until now are all useful. So, please don’t remove them.

Yes, I know there is no TweakIt, you have to read all I wrote. I removed that because I tested on a system here, same modification and it does not work, so I removed it from your BIOS
I think this hidden section with the third copy of stuff is like a folder, where they gather settings from and take to other sections, there is often laptop stuff in desktops BIOS, desktop stuff in laptop BIOS, debug stuff never in any BIOS, customer specific stuff sometimes
Like “test for Jason or Linda” etc, sometimes stuff for other brands like “For Lenovo only, or in your BIOS case for Clevo only” It’s a catch all, or maybe a starting bucket.
I do not think settings in there are applied/enabled, now that you have tested, since I disabled stuff there and in the actual BIOS code layout of setup before you could even see the settings, and still not changing.
It is disabled in this hidden folder anyway.

Also, like I said Speedstep shows as enabled on my system too and it’s defiantly not, so sometimes might be a bug in that software or something.
It has always been that way for me, for years, with many motherboards and always disabled all EIST, C1E, Speedstep etc and they are disabled, yet it randomly shows some stuff enabled sometimes especially speedstep

About files uploaded here, I meant how a file gets downloaded from here is hassle for me, nothing to do with you or the site./download process, just how the files are named when you download them (example 4k32doai13fswaitgu3f67548f.rar)
That makes for a mess when downloading many files like that all night long. Download some attached file here and you’ll see what I mean.

Thanks for the new images, I’ll take a look tonight! I don’t use UEFI either, but I know some might, or you might want down the road, that’s why I wanted to get as much available to you as I could, and maybe someone else use this BIOS later too.

Don’t worry, I wont remove any settings, that chipset reveal and then remove later was accident I did remove that NB or SB though, but only because there was no settings in there for me to enable for you, so no point to leave blank entry enabled.

Ok. I thought you tried on ASUS motherboard. You got that setting appeared in Main section, but could not enter it. And so, you wanted to see if I am able to enter that Menu on my system.

Anyway, I wonder why HPET is buried so deep in the BIOS.

Ok, got that. I will be using mediafire.com or a similar upload site going forward.

Right, makes sense.

Just tried analyzing the BIOS options as shown by AMIBCP for the stock BIOS.

1. I can see HPET in that unnamed folder as you described. I can change the access level to Supervisor and disable it there. After that, the ROM image saves just fine. Do you think there could be any problem in disabling HPET in this way using AMIBCP on both the BIOS files and then flashing it?

2. I can see that in CPU Configuration and also in the unnamed folder, C8 Report, C9 Report and C10 Report are also available. These options have not yet been exposed in any of the modded BIOSes that I flashed. Could you please enable these too?

Sorry for the confusion on how I wrote that, some I wrote before I tested the mod on my end, and I wrote more later and forgot to edit above.
It would have same effect on your end I’m sure, I suppose we could test if you wanted, but if it fails and doesn’t let you in BIOS or load system then you can’t recover, so might not be good to test on you end, but that’s up to you.
I assume it would act the same as it did here, but you never know so it’s always a risk.

The way you edited that BIOS is fine, but “User” is you (ie make visible to you on the rest of the BIOS, not that section though).
As I said that folder is a catch all, or place they grab the settings from by default to use in other areas, many settings there may be duplicates, not apply to you system, be for desktop or laptop, may be unrelated to your type of chipset or CPU etc.
It’s not a settings area that affects how the BIOS is used or loaded etc. C8/9/10 you can enable if you want, in the CPU config place not in the hidden folder as that does not apply to your BIOS as viewed. Or I can do if you want and aren’t comfortable doing.
To enable for your BIOS, set the access level to “USER”, that is all you have to do since that menu is enabled already.

Some BIOS bugs might be fixed, or enhanced performance on the new BIOS, so sometime we should consider getting you flashed over to that and then I can enable everything again there all in one swoop.

Well, that sounds quite risky. So, I will just leave it.

By the way, have you had a chance to find another way to disable HPET or enable its setting in the BIOS Menu anywhere?

Had this been a desktop system, I would be interested in trying things on my own. On this laptop, to be on a safer side, I would request you to expose settings of C8, C9 and C10 when you provide another modded BIOS.

Yes, we can switch to the latest BIOS. As I requested earlier,

1. Please see if there are any Display Backlight settings/adjustments in either EC1 or EC2.

2. Please see if you can add AMD GPU ID in the BIOS so that the BIOS starts to recognize the GPU.

Yes, it can be risky, and I can’t test on older BIOS style like yours, I was testing on Z170 board with AMI Aptio V BIOS, on older it could brick the board instead of what happened on mine, that is why I removed the edit and put back as it was.

OK, next round I will expose all the C-8-9-10 settings for you. I checked what I could see in EC FW, nothing legible to me and I know no tools to view/modify EC other than hex and it’s all random characters.

I will check about #2

For now, if you want, you can go ahead and flash to the stock image of latest BIOS. That way you can play around for a while, see if anything is new, or changed, or improved etc.

Yes, I can flash the latest stock BIOS, but its ME version will have to be updated first. Or maybe you can do the next mod on the latest BIOS and upgrade ME as well. I am fine eitherway.

Shiggles! I forgot that kept the old ME. Yes, then we’ll have to do all that in next round, I’ll try to get to it tomorrow night, short on time tonight.

Ok, thanks!