[Request] How to Access Locked/Hidden BIOS Menu Settings

@Lost_N_BIOS Will it be possible for you to provide the ME updated version of the stock BIOS 05.01, so that I can explore new features & performance improvements (if any) while you get around to analyzing that BIOS?

Sorry man, I forgot I will get that to you tonight, leaving this tab open so I do first when I get back!

No worries. I look forward to your next mod.

@akm - Sorry for the delay! Here is updated ā€œLatest BIOSā€ Few things to note, first donā€™t worry if something is missed, itā€™s not on purpose, let me know and I will enable

Second, chipset menu, I know I left it off once mid-mod last round, but I couldnā€™t find and donā€™t remember if we verified which method out of the two I first used to enabled it is the method that actually enabled the menu.
This round I applied one method at first, that way there is not two methods used on same menu. So if it is not enabled, let me know and I will apply recovery tabā€™s method on chipset too. Or other way around if chipset is visible and not recovery, you let me know which shows
Then I will be able to make and keep a note on which method worked for this BIOS/Brand so next time someone with similar laptop Iā€™ll be able to help quicker. Adding to the above, I noticed last round images, you still did not have ā€œRecoveryā€ tab/section in the BIOS top area (Like chipset).
So, for this initial BIOS, Iā€™ll set recovery one way enabled and chipset the other, let me know which you see, then on next edit I will apply method that worked to both for next and final update.

Third, I did not change any settings from default this round. I left everything as is, since I am enabling the menus now up front vs last time, now you can set all how you want right after you load optimal defaults.

For this round, please now include images from the security and recovery tab, and all contained sections within. Or, if not visible this time around, please images of this next time once I enable correct way.
And let me know if anything missing, and all info requested on ā€œSecondā€ above

Partial-Changes-RestAMIBCP-Settings.png

https://www.sendspace.com/file/zs4l3h

Edited Post:

@Lost_N_BIOS Thanks for the new mod. I flashed it and have shared the relevant BIOS screens here. There are some observations/comments:

1. I can confirm that neither there is Chipset Menu nor Recovery Menu.

2. In Advanced Menu, I see a lot of sub-Menus which were not there previously (see BIOS Screens).

3. In many sub-Menus which were there previously too like CPU Configuration, I see that some options are not there. In CPU Configuration, C1, C3, C6 Reports etc. are not there.

4. Unlike the previous version of BIOS, if I disable EIST at both places in the BIOS, ThrottleStop shows both SpeedStep and C1E disabled. Also, just by disabling EIST, Turbo Boost also gets disabled and that is confirmed by ThrottleStop too. So, settings in this BIOS do work properly.

5. There is no HPET setting anywhere. Can you please expose that too? And please disable HPET by default at all places and through all methods possible. As settings seem to work properly in this BIOS, I am quite hopeful that HPET will get disabled now.

6. In those Menus and sub-Menus which have been exposed, not all the settings are there. Like for example, in Performance Tuning ā€“ North Bridge Configuration, only three settings have been exposed (see BIOS Screens). Previously, you said more settings should be there.

7. Laptop Display brightness cannot be controlled even now.

8. Is it possible to add support for booting of NVMe drives in the BIOS?

9. Going forward for further flashes, can I just flash the BIOS files or you recommend to again flash EC1 and EC2 before flashing the BIOS?

can you guys help me ?

Hey @akm - thanks for your feedback! Happy to see flash was OK, I was a little worried about the CPU microcodes causing issue since we skipped over that last time around due to my concerns

Iā€™m surprised to see neither chipset nor recovery? Maybe it needs both methods to fix it then? I will do that now on both and weā€™ll see. Last round I did both at once on chipset because I wasnā€™t sure which would work, but assumed both together would.
Although, I may not be able be able to enable recovery section, itā€™s only two settings to reveal anyway, allowing NVRAM option and another I canā€™t remember, but I can change the settings to whatever you wanted (Look in AMIBCP and see those settings to see what I mean, in case I canā€™t enable that menu section)

2-3. Sorry there is still options missing, thatā€™s why we did the so many screenshots last time, because I wasnā€™t sure what enables automatically for you once I enabled a menu, and what does not. Some items showed up automatically, but I needed to see what they were so I could then add the rest, remember.
And then same for the now missing, some I may have assumed they were auto in there once that section enabled, and some I probably missed. There is 100ā€™s of settings and I was doing two BIOS at once, without images of your BIOS and what is already shown again, basically starting over on what we worked through last week or so.
Weā€™ll get it sorted out, no problem on this! And since you have used/opened AMIBCP, you can see what settings are there in each section, so if there is any I miss once weā€™re done and you want it, let me know and Iā€™ll enable too.

4. Great!! So, this is either due to they fixed that in this BIOS and it was bugged in the previous BIOS, or by me disabling the hidden one, or disabling by default, it messed up the visible ones operation. Not sure on that, I tend to think it was probably some bug in their older BIOS, now corrected.

5. HPET - did we get that shown last time around? I donā€™t think so, itā€™s only in that hidden section remember. I can disable it there, but I donā€™t think that applies at all. The only way I know to disable is same way I did before for HPET, EIST, Speedstep etc and that is manually by extracting the setup module from BIOS, output IFR text, find HPET and edit the default setting. I do not think this one is the same one thatā€™s in hidden menu (That I donā€™t believe affects the system). So for this, again I can disable like before, when I did that it showed as disabled I throttlestop correct? Also on this, maybe we can find some setting you know youā€™d be able to see if enabled/disable immediately, from that hidden menu, and then we could test and see if those are actually applied or not. As a separate test I mean, or maybe I can find one to test on a board here, but it would be Aptio V BIOS, still should give us an idea if thatā€™s not something you want to waste time flashing to check on your end.

6. As mentioned above, you can see what settings are available in AMIBCP, but yes we can get them all fixed up. Some places there are no settings, like one of the soutbridge sections I think, thatā€™s why I say you can look too so youā€™ll know if I miss anything.
Sorry I missed so many this time around, I had the old BIOS open too and thought I was getting all we had enabled previously, but obviously I missed some

7. I did enable some BIOS settings for LCB/AMI Graphics, that I did not before, but I am unsure what they were or if they are safe to use, or if they can even help with the brightness issue.

8. I think so, I can add per the guide here - [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS
Then you would have to do the rest about reinstalling the OS, or I think within that thread people have posted guides about how to image your system using macrium reflect and then restore back onto the NVME drive without a reinstall (That one may be itā€™s own thread, if you canā€™t find Iā€™ll help you look later)

9. Once you flash the EC it will stay that way until next reflash of EC, so if you already did it then all you need to do is BIOS updates on subsequent mod BIOS postings.

Give me some time and I will look at your images, and get another set of BIOS made and will add in NVME this time too.

@aram - there is a final mod BIOS in this thread, well as far as we planned to take it anyway, just follow along for latest version weā€™re working on it now. Final mod for 0314 BIOS in posted a page or two back, page 4 post #50.
Be sure to update according to your manufacturers directions, since I did not include all the stuff with the mod BIOS downloads, only the raw BIOS files themselves.

I think I donā€™t need either of the two settings to change. So, there is no change required.

Yes, sure. Thanks!

HPET was not exposed in previous BIOS mods. I think if you disable HPET using all known methods, like:

a. Disabling in the hidden section

b. Manually by extracting the setup module from BIOS, outputting IFR text, finding HPET and editing the default setting

c. Any other way (if there is)

Then there is a chance that it gets disabled because the settings in 05.01 BIOS do seem to work properly.

I donā€™t see any such settings, or maybe you are referring to AMI Graphic Output Protocol Policy (there are no settings in there, it just shows Unknow Device).

I believe if you could make the BIOS recognize the AMD GPU (perhaps by adding AMD GPU ID), the brightness control may start to work automatically.

Ok. I think we can skip this for now. As I arrange for an NVME drive, we can perhaps look into this.

Ok, noted.

Sure, thanks!

OK, no recovery menu needed then, thanks. On HPET, on last BIOS version I disabled both ways, but you said neither had any effect. Do you think thatā€™s maybe because the other settings were buggy, EIST, speedstep, or you are unsure?

Yes, I was talking about the AMI Graphics section, if itā€™s blank that just means I need to enable a bunch in there. Thereā€™s a few other places too I think, in regards to LCD or graphics, Iā€™ll have to look again when I get back into it.
Thereā€™s no where to add any graphical ID, the place you see that where it looks like youā€™d add is always blank/empty like that in all BIOS Iā€™ve ever looked at.

Iā€™ll go ahead and get the NVME added in there while Iā€™m doing this, that way itā€™s ready for you later whenever you get into that. And it will then be there for anyone else following along too.

Yes, as the other settings were buggy in 03.14 BIOS, perhaps HPET setting change did not work either. Itā€™s quite probable that with 05.01 BIOS mods, HPET setting change will work.

Ok.

When a supported NVIDIA GPU is used on this system, the BIOS does show VGA Card information, VBIOS Revision and VBIOS Build Date. I have attached an image of the Main screen of the BIOS taken from the Manual here. I have marked the VGA info area in Red Box. On my system, I donā€™t see any info about VGA at all in the Main screen.

That will be really great. Thanks!
Will that work with Legacy installation as well?

One more thing: previously you asked me to edit flash.bat to make a change: AFUDOS.exe %BIOS.ROM% /p /b /n /k /r %1 (add switch /k). I have been flashing all 03.14 mods in this way then onwards. This time I used the flash.bat which came with the new package and it did not have /k switch. Do you suggest that for all new mods I should use the /k switch again?

OK, we can test HPET disabled same way as last time. I will do one at a time, first hidden setting and have you check/confirm that one doesnā€™t matter. Then I will change actual one that is in your BIOS setup (And while I do that I will try to figure out how to make visible for you)

On the graphics, yes but see in the BIOS there is also no NVIDIA info in that section either, so itā€™s in something else I the BIOS maybe part of the vBIOS itself. I could update that for you, but I doubt it would help anyway, we could try though. You said CPU graphics work too correct, in case vBIOS change breaks the video card, so you can see to reflash back to stock vBIOS? Thanks for the image, hereā€™s that area of the BIOS, plus the other section I was talking about thatā€™s in all AMI BIOS thatā€™s blank in BIOS settings like this, but populates once BIOS is loaded for users too (Like your image but in another section)

Graphics.png

On NVME, I am not sure, I do not use this, youā€™ll have to refer to that guide I linked you to with all the info. If you meant is that working legacy vs UEFI, yes, you donā€™t have to use UEFI but you do have to use GPT I think.

No on the /K, itā€™s OK without it now, since they did not have it, or you can leave it too if you want (We always use p/ /b /k or /p /b /n /k) I think I had you add that as test, in case something was being missed in the flash, but it didnā€™t change what we hoped anyway
It wont hurt anything to be there, or not.

That is fine by me.

No, the Intel integrated GPU (CPU graphics) is completed disabled on this system. So, if something breaks the video card, there will be no display at all. As it looks quite risky, let us skip this.

Ok. There should be no problem with that.

Speaking of vBIOS - @aram what graphics card do you have installed? If itā€™s not same HD8970M as akm, then maybe donā€™t use any of these BIOS until I can make you your own personal BIOS. Please send me download link to your stock BIOS from manufacturer
I am unsure, didnā€™t look again recently, if there is vBIOS specific for AMD in these BIOS for akm.

How about if you enabled onboard graphics, in the BIOS options? Then does it work, since now those options are enabled? Or is that one of the menus I still need to open full options up for you on?
Itā€™s in chipset, system agent configuration, graphics configuration as you see below, you can enable onboard and set which is used and which is first scanned for target use by BIOS.
Onboard is disable by default for optimized and fail safe BIOS defaults as you mentioned, but I think onboard enable would allow you to switch, have both enabled, that or disable the HD8970M for quick testing at least too.

Internal-GFX.png

Primary display is set to PEG (HD8970M), setting iGFX would be the onboard. But before doing that you would have to enable internal graphics below. Now that I see where it is, sorry I know itā€™s disabled menu right now since itā€™s in chipset.
Here, quick change only to enable chipset for now, then you let me know if all these options show for you yet or not too. Then Iā€™ll work on rest as time permits.
Coming in on edit, I wanted to post this now for @aram to get that warning above as soon as possible. Will edit in chipset enabled BIOS shortly.
Here is chipset enabled again, maybe recovery too (as test, if this fails I will stop trying on this menu), and High precision timer from hidden menu disabled. Next on this, if no change, I will put back to default on this, and do the other mod to setup instead, I donā€™t think this affects anything from this menu
https://www.sendspace.com/file/jkuell

What I know about this system is that all the output ports (HDMI, Display Ports and eDP for internal display) are hardwired to the MXM GPU, and there is no muxer like in Optimus or Switchable Graphics system to connect the output ports with the iGPU. So, any attempt to disable the AMD Graphics and enable the CPU Graphics can sort of brick the system in the sense that there will be no display from any output port. So, I think we should leave the iGPU settings and PEG settings as they are.

I think we should start with nailing down the HPET and making some of the hidden options in CPU configuration like C3, C6, C7, C9, C10 Report etc. appear first. As we have those, my most important requirements will be addressed. What do you say?

Youā€™ve been mislead about that, Iā€™m certain! Once you enable internal gfx in the BIOS you will be able to switch, or disable one or the other etc, or have both enabled always if you wanted. Hopefully thatā€™s not hardwired into your thoughts, because itā€™s wrong.
Youā€™ll be able to see once you enable, then check in windows with GPU-z, once windows loads it will either install default driver or youā€™ll need to additionally install Intel gfx drivers.
BIOS mod is in previous post.

<Deleted Post>

Ok, noted. I only described what I had previously learnt. But thanks for confirming that iGPU will work too.

Even if we enable iGPU, what are we going to achieve? As there is apparently no setting in BIOS to regulate the Backlight level of the laptop display, it looks like this problem canā€™t be solved through BIOS.

In the BIOS mod, have you disabled PEG and enabled iGPU?

Being able to use internal graphics allows you to safely test an updated vBIOS module in the BIOS, to see about better compatibility that you wanted. That way if the vBIOS module fails to be compatible with your graphics card or itā€™s own vBIOS, then you can still see screen due to using internal graphics from the CPU to flash back to previous BIOS version without vBIOS change. With that said, what CPU do you have, so we can confirm it has onboard graphics, I assume it does but not all do so shouldnā€™t assume

In the BIOS mod I did no changes to those settings, only disabled High Precision Timer in hidden menu as discussed, and then enabled the menus as mentioned and still those sections I showed might need further enabling anyway for you to see.
Tonight I mainly discussed my thoughts with you about that, and enabled chipset menu and showed you where in AMIBCP those settings I mentioned are located, so you can confirm if that section of the BIOS needs further enabling or not so you can access the settings.
You need to let me know if you can see that section yet or not, all setting changes will be done on your end within the BIOS.

Your first move wont be to disable the graphics card anyway, you can always leave it enabled too if you want, you only need to test enable the onboard graphics and both will show up in GPU-z (May need Intel driver installed first).
Both can be enabled at once, and once you confirm Intel GFX enabled, you can enable/disable either at will. Laptops that come with CPU with internal GFX and an external graphics card like you have, usually leave both enabled in case the external graphic card dies.
But since this is a very expensive gaming system vs OEM like Dell or HP they disabled all this to force you to either contact them to buy another $300-400 graphic card, or send it in for repairs etc.

Yay! HPET has been finally disabled. There is no HPET device in Windows Device Manager now. Thanks a lot!

The Chipset Menu has also been exposed, and looks like almost all the settings are there. There is no Recovery Menu, but I have no problem if it cannot be exposed.

Although HPET has been disabled and I wouldnā€™t want to enable it back, but still if it is required in future, it would be great if you could expose HPET setting as well so that I have the option to enable it in case there is a need.

In CPU Configuration, I would just request you to expose C8 Report, C9 Report and C10 Report settings as well (which are currently not available), if possible. There is no problem if those canā€™t be exposed though.

My CPU is Core i7 4790K. It should have Intel HD Graphics 4600.

I can see your point regarding updating vBIOS module, for which I have another idea (mentioned below this paragraph). I have one more concern about enabling the CPU Graphics. The heatsink design of the system is such that there is a common/shared heatsink between the CPU and the discrete GPU card. And it is not very powerful, because when the CPU is stressed, it starts to throttle. If we enable the iGPU, CPU will be even more heated and throttling may be more aggressive.

To ensure that the vBIOS module updated in the BIOS does not cause any problem, we can probably extract or compare AMD GPU vBIOS from the BIOS of another Laptop which officially supports the AMD GPU that I have.

I guess that section is available now. I will check and confirm again.

Sweet, NO HPET!!! That was easy I bet disabling both ways conflicted last time then, or some bug in original BIOS or maybe combo of both. So, only disable this time was that hidden folder, so thanks to you we now know those settings apply too.
High Precision Timer is still ā€œEnabledā€ in the defaults actual BIOS setup module, surprised it was not that one that needed changed! the only place that setting is visible is in that hidden menu right now, I will see if I can add in another section, but not certain I can do that with the tools we the public have.

Maybe on recovery, one of the methods needs to be put back, or itā€™s just something I canā€™t enable. Iā€™m sure I could get, if I had the system here and could test changes quickly, but like you said itā€™s no big deal.
I will put these attempts on that back to original state that way they arenā€™t causing any issues later with anything else.

I know what you mean about the heatsink, this would only be for short quick testing though so it would be OK. You could test for few minutes with it to make sure it works, if not clear CMOS to re-enable the AMD card, then if itā€™s working youā€™d know itā€™s OK to test a new vBIOS in BIOS to see if updated vBIOS changed anything for you in the BIOS for your graphics card. Thanks for those boards BIOS, I will look and see if anything needed from them or not, normally my intention would be to try the latest version.