[Request} Need BIOS Dump from Someone for P9x79LE

Hi

I downloaded the asus bios 4608.cap file and inserted the nvme ram module. Your guide worked like a treat. Only problem is that reading elsewhere it looks like asus has broken the vt-d. Is there anyway to update the bios to fix this. My southbridge shows as c1 stepping but cant change that. My cpu is intel xeon e5-2680v2 gpu is nvidia geforce 1050ti and amd radeon hd 6670. I have a total of 40gb ram. Another point to note my onboard ethernet has stopped working and when i shutdown the machine. The fans keep running.

Could someone assist with the bios, looking for version 4608 since this detects full 40gb ram and 4801 won’t. hoping to have updated Microcode for ivy bridge ep, latest and greatest ahci rom and something that will fix the onboard realtek network card.

@zsurfaraz - I already replied to your PM a few times, so please also check what I mentioned there. Some of what you mention may be due to broken ME FW, or could be due to broken BIOS mod due to how you updated microcodes etc.
Please test this 4801 BIOS, flash with USB Flashback. This has NVME Mod, BIOS Bifurcation menu mod + Updated all microcodes. If you do have broken ME FW, this probably wont fix that, flashback does not often update ME FW, so that will need fixed in other ways.

UPD-uCode.png

Asus-P9X79-LE-4801-NVME-Bifurcate-uCode-UPD-11-2019

Vt-d broken, where do you read this? Please give me link. Vt-d is disabled by default, original BIOS location >> Advanced >> System Agent Configuration.
But, with the BIOS above you will now find this at Advanced >> System Agent Configuration >> IOH Configuration >> Intel(R) VT for Directed I/O Configuration

Onboard Realtek Ethernet mess up as well? So, you mentioned this, and Vt/Memory issues etc, and I thought ME FW messed up, but since you also mention Ethernet, I suspect you used FPT incorrectly to flash your BIOS maybe?
Did you use FPT? If yes, you’ve probably lost your serial, UUID and LAN MAC ID too. UUID cannot be recreated, only new one made, but serial and MAC we can get from stickers on your board and fix those.
Unless you made some BIOS backup before you did anything with FPT, if you did then we can save original UUID too.

Many Thanks, I will test this and check the ME version and get back to you.

You’re welcome! Check ME FW stuff I mentioned in PM first, that way you know if that is current issue or not.

My original ME version was 8.1.40.1416, now it is showing 8.1.70.1590

----------------------------

also usb flashback in completely broken, it worked previously. I am guessing I need to go down back to original me driver. I will try to flash a few different other ways first based on a guide i found on here

----------------------

I used usb flashback first 3 times it gave a solid light the 4th time it blinked away until it stopped. I used the mmtool to inject nvme module and save the new bios. I did not make a backup of the bios. Reason for stating vt-d broken, because of the following link; https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph…-SABERTOOTH-X79. When I tried gpu pass through I kept getting message bios kept control of this device. As for the memory I noticed I have 4 banks, a1,a2,b1,b2 <CPU> d2,d1,c2,c1. I currently have a1,a2,b1,b2,c2,c1 populated. it seems b2 is the culprit. I will try shifting that in another bank. I used ai suite to check mb serial number and it comes back with mb-1234567890 so I guess i screwed that up. I managed to update to the flash provided, pleased to say that nvme is working and machine response is extremely faster. Still have shutdown problem and ethernet problem. What information would you require if we need to repopulate the UUID?

------------------------

further update in regards to memory, if I shift around it decreases to 16gb. But if I leave it as is it gives 24gb. Even though bios can see the ram in all the slots. Will look into dram voltage

Please edit your posts when you need to add more thoughts and no one has replied yet, thanks

Great you can see ME FW version, where do you see that shown at, in BIOS or with HWINFO64?

ME Driver/ME FW have nothing to do with USB Flashback, probably you need to use same USB Stick you used before, flashback is picky.

Please test the BIOS as I sent to you, no further edits needed (Especially NVME, since it was first thing I did to that BIOS). Or, did you mean with your previous BIOS mod you used MMTool, not the file I sent you?

Thanks for Asus link about Vt-d, I will read into that and get back to you. IMMOU is not same thing as VT-d at all, so I need to hunt that down in BIOS now and see what it’s set to etc, since you didn’t mention this until now.
Quick look at that thread, it’s not even about your board, so you don’t need to stick to 4608 anyway. Please be sure you enable VT-d where I showed you above (Default is disabled)

Check your manual, memory needs to be installed in a certain way, certain slots and channels before others etc.

If you never mad any backups of BIOS, then original UUID is gone forever. Serial and LAN MAC ID is on stickers on the board, UUID I can make you new one with your sticker info.
Please get me images of the long white sticker on side of board itself, sticker on side of 24 pin and sticker on top/bottom side of PCI/PCIE slot.

Shut down issue, not sure what that would be, we’ll check ME FW more in depth once we sort more of this out, it still could be part of the problem. For now, please test shut down with a single stick of memory in slot #1 and see if you still have shutdown issue.
Then if you do, and you can, please test shut down in a clean OS install on a spare drive, that way we can rule out current windows install or software/drivers as part of the issue
Also, please go to Asus website for this board and install the latest ME drivers, so we know that’s not part of the problem too.

Your memory issue sounds to me like bent CPU socket pins, that and voltages as I mentioned in PM are the only two things that usually cause this (<< Especially the latter there as you increase memory totals)
Dram voltage is not really the voltage I spoke of either, but yes, make sure that is set to proper amount. What you need to adjust is VCCSA. But, what you need I’m not sure, you’ll have to google around and see what kind of voltages others are using for 48-64GB on this and Asus X79
Auto generally overvolts this, and that may be why you had easier time on older BIOS, they had it overvolting more then and less now possibly. Did you remove CPU recently, or it’s always been in the socket for a long time and you’re sure CPU pins are not part of the culprit here?

Ok. Firstly memory issue sorted. It was due to a dodgy ram stick. As soon as I removed this I am back at 32gb. The cpu when inserted fittes in fine and i did check the pins and these were perfect. I have checked the board throughly removed it and even checked the back there are no stickers on the board. I still have the original motherboard box so I can check this monday evening when back in scotland. I have used your modded bios and i can now pass gpu through in my esxi enviroment. So thats all fine. Only issues are lan and shutdown now. Plus serial and uuid. Can i get all the requested info to you on Monday.

Nice you found the memory culprit! Yes, CPU always fits if it’s the right socket, but those 2011 socket pins are very fragile and super easy to bend, which can often cause this so that’s why they are always suspect #1

No stickers??? Did you remove them, or get this board used? They should be exactly where I mentioned, original box will be of no help at all that only has the fake not-used as serial serial on it.
Side of 24 pin should have LAN MAC ID, on top/bottom sides of one of the PCI/PCIE slots should have the useless serial, and the long white sticker one top or sides of the PCB Board itself will have part of the UUID

Yes, there is no rush, I am not in a hurry at all. Great you have IOMMU now! Yes, well try to sort the rest once you are back

OK i think this might be the white label you were asking for. It was towards the bottom end of the motherboard.

20191128_085645.jpg

Yes, that is the long white sticker I mentioned. And you will find stickers on side of 24 pin and top/bottom sides of PCI/PCIE slot too

after calming down and reading carefully i found them. i was actually looking on the board not on the sides of the 24 pin and pcie slots. I have attached those pics as well.

please let me know if you need anything else.

20191128_105532.jpg

20191128_104537.jpg

20191128_085645.jpg

Sorry for not explaining exactly, I assumed you’d notice as soon as you started looking at the board
Can you please put all 3 images into a zip, thanks.

Also, lets check some stuff out, and get dumps of your BIOS regions too so I can see what’s going on here for sure.

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following commands one at a time and send me the created files to modify >>
FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin
FPTw.exe -desc -d -fd.bin
FPTw.exe -me -d me.bin << If you get error and it wont dump, it’s OK, move on to next
FPTw.exe -gbe -d gbe.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Or here is simply registry edit that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu
Double-click to install, reboot after install may be required
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…134606820377175

Also, inside System Tools folder, find MEInfo folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me image of the entire contents (scroll and cut top/bottom into two images if needed) >> MEInfoWin.exe -verbose

Put all things into a single zip for me please, go ahead and include all I asked for here with all the previous images in there too, so it’s all in one zipped folder. Thanks

I have run the commands and compiled everything into the zip file attached. Interesting point gbe region reports as does not exist.

bios info.zip (5.08 MB)

Thanks, I will check it all tonight and get back to you. I didn’t realize until you mentioned, this BIOS does not contain GbE (this is Intel Gigabit Ethernet), so this board must have some other ethernet controller.
Please look on the board and see if you can find the chip, it’s usually a larger square near LAN Port, probably Realtek (RTL and a tree looking symbol on it). Does Ethernet LED flash at all when you reboot, or connect a LAN Cable?
Do you have it enabled in BIOS? I see both Intel and Realtek shown at Advanced >> Onboard Devices Configuration, but doubt you have both, we just see both now due to unlocking the BIOS. If you do have Intel one, it must be “Fast Ethernet” not Gigabit

When, and how, did the LAN become messed up originally anyway?

Its a realtek lan card. It worked fine originally and then i dId bios update and it just stopped. Not sure of they 2 seperate problems occurred at the same time or the onboard lan was on the way out. No lights when i connect ethernet or boot up. I will check later tonight once back from funeral to see if it is enable in bios. But pretty sure it was enabled last time i checked. Another thing concerning is i keep getting usb power overload in windows 10 and server 2016. But if I boot up in esxi its all fine and there are no errors.

Update - I have checked and it is enabled in bios

It could be faulty chip then, if no LEDs on reboot or cable connect. Make sure it’s not disabled in BIOS (fail safe default is disabled, but once you load optimal defaults as you should after any BIOS flash, then it’s default is enabled)
You did load optimized defaults after you flash BIOS correct? If not, do that now, then reboot back into BIOS and make all the other changes you want, then check it out in windows.
Also, after that, check with HWINFO and see if you can find the LAN controller anywhere, and same for in device manager too.

* Edit - I checked your dumped BIOS, ALL system specific details are gone in both areas. Are you the original owner of this board?
If yes, had you ever used FPT to flash the BIOS? If yes, looks like you flashed stock BIOS with FPT, if you did not, and are the original owner, I don’t see how this could have happened.
This may also be caused by hardware programmer recovery, and use of a stock BIOS as source. This and FPT is the only way this happens, at least that I’ve ever seen. I am unsure if incorrect use/method of an AFU BIOS flash can cause this too, I’ve never seen it but it may be possible too.

This could be why LAN doesn’t light up and all too, but I expected it would blink a little while trying, but maybe not. Give me some time to find a dump from this same model so I can rebuild your system specific info areas.

Ok based on what you’ve explained i might be at fault here. Its a used board that i had for a few months. I did request the seller to flash bios to the latest. Originally when i brought this i tested and looked all good and when ethernet plugged in lighted up. But had to go back to scotland on the same day so never got around to building the system fully or stress testing it. I normally only come back to parents once every 3 months and i had forgotten the system here. When i received it the parcel looked like it had a knock. But it all worked fine. This week was holiday so I came back and decided to flash the bios. From the version the sender had flashed for me. I used usb flashback but had to do it multiple times before it worked. And then all the issues came/noticed. I googled a bit and decided to reach out before i cause more damage. Before using usb flashback i did attempt freedos flashback but it gave error reading partition. So hence i googled a bit more and found out about usb flashback.

Edit - i think the automated freedos method used fpt not sure. I can find the link and send it to you if you like to further understand the method i used.

They probably recovered the board from a bad BIOS flash, and did that using programmer or FPT and stock BIOS, so it may not have been what you did.
USB Flashback would have left all this info in place, no matter how many times you used it… But, FreeDOS has nothing to do with USB Flashback, so not sure what you did in DOS, whatever you tried using there may be what caused it (FPT maybe?)
But only you can confirm that by checking thread you used or folder you made then etc. FreeDOS is just that, DOS, nothing to do with BIOS flashing, BIOS tools etc, until you include some other tool to use while you are in DOS, so you’d have to confirm that.
FPT would be something you can use in DOS, and this would cause exactly where were are now, so probably this is what happened.

Normal use of FPT is OK, provided you dump BIOS/BIOS region with FPT, then reflash it, but anytime you flash stock BIOS with FPT you loose all system specific info due.
This is due to FPT flashing in blank data (FF) at those locations because that’s what’s in the source file given to write (or general placeholders in place in stock BIOS such as 123456789)
Normal BIOS flashing tools/methods like USB Flashback, EZ Flash etc, all skip these areas and leave in place serial, UUID, MAC etc.

Since I have all your data now in stickers, I can fix this, but you will not have original UUID, nor 100% original serial in BIOS (this is usually manufacture date mm/yy, or letters standing for manufacture date + serial)
But, all that is really only important for RMA, which is not possible now since these are such old boards and even then they usually wouldn’t confirm that by checking BIOS and would use sticker info anyway.
MAC ID we can fix no problem, and your LAN will work

Please wait, I have to find unedited dump of someone’s BIOS region from this exact board, so I can see the correct format all this goes into BIOS on this model, then I will fix in a BIOS for you and show you how to FPT flash it in

* Edit -
@Mysilangelo
@Geekomatic
@simol
@Migs
@onReload
@rokz
@Geobrick
@DMC
@Benevides

If any of you guys still have P9X79-LE, would you please provide a BIOS dump (BIOS region via FPT, or AFU backup), so I can fix BIOS for zsurfaraz, thanks
If you need to know how to dump via FPT, please see spoiler

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Or here is simply registry edit that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu
Double-click to install, reboot after install may be required
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…134606820377175

Thank you much appreciated

Edit - The link used was https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph…l-AMD-roll-back for the dos rollback.

That looks like AFUDOS method, shouldn’t have lost your board details, but since it uses /GAN and OLD AFU not made for your BIOS anything is possible.
Generally though, this is due to FPT flash of stock BIOS. But, doesn’t matter how it happened now, it’s done, and we’ll fix it

I’m sure one of the user above will provide us a dump to use as system details template, probably some are out of town visiting family etc for the weekend.
If no one replies in few days I try to find dump in google we can use I looked earlier, but lots to try and sort through like that due to all the other variants, but if it comes down to that I’m sure I can find