[Request] Unlock BIOS/UEFI for AMD 395 (Strix Halo)

Continuing discussion from here

I would like to make a request to see if the UEFI BIOS of Framework Desktop (Insyde) can be unlocked i.e. reveal more advanced hidden options… ideally to further change various frequencies etc. I am aware that some other manufacturers of minipcs with AMD Ryzen AI Max+ 395 APU (like Beelink) provide more granular options than Framework currently exposes.

@Sweet_Kitten and anyone else who can assist in this: Thank you very much!

I changed the title to leave it open ended… if it becomes a possibility to pursue unlocking UEFI in PCs with this powerful APU from other manufacturers!


Edit by Fernando: Thread moved into the “BIOS Modding Requests” Sub-Category and title shortened

1 Like

Since you created the request in sub category for discussing tools, I waited a bit for the moderators to move the thread.

But it ain’t happening, and I post unlock link here Framework_Desktop_Ryzen_AI_MAX_30.zip.
Disable Secure Boot, unzip the archive to a FAT flash drive, and boot from it. Setup utility should open and more bios tabs become available.
Let me know if it works.

1 Like

@arta @Sweet_Kitten
Since I haven’t seen the content of this thread earlier, I have moved this thread into the better matching “BIOS Modding Requests” rather late. I am sorry about the delay.

2 Likes

I would very much like to open up more options in the BIOS. Would love to have the RAID0 enabled for my PC to have one big and fast disk. So has anyone confirmed that this works and what does it unlock? I know that the APU supports RAID natively at least

I ain’t got confirmation or any response.

Idk what is going on, but people on the interned tend to ghost each other more often and I hate that. From this perspective the community was better back in the days.

2 Likes

Reedits and AIs…

Thank you @Sweet_Kitten

Sorry for my late reply. I do agree with you about people ghosting more often and I myself find it annoying when it is done. So, I apologize for doing it myself.

I didn’t get a chance to try this on Framework Desktop, as I ended up having some issues with it. With all the customs, tariffs and border issues, order deliveries get so delayed. I was waiting to receive my unit below to respond to you.

Since then, I have ordered an Asus ROG Z13 (2025) and I think it would be fantastic to further unlock its BIOS/UEFI.

In the meantime, till I receive the laptop (hopefully in a week or so), I have done some research myself too:

  • It is possible to tweak its BIOS quite a bit (this link)
  • This BIOS is AMI as well
  • You have to make sure not to update BIOS and leave it at v308. In more recent versions (like v311), Asus disabled these tweaks. Possible to revert/downgrade BIOS to v308 by flashing firmware from Asus?
  • Can I Smokeless UMAF be used with Z13 too?
  • Manufacturers have started to lock things down, even not allowing to downgrade?!

I know this is a tablet and has less headroom for TDP and cooling, but I think having flexibility and the abilities to do things is great in anything. If more advanced BIOS can be enabled for this laptop (?), I am interested to see if I can make an external cooling mechanism to help keep temperatures low.

If you really need Asus Z13 unlock I can give it a try. I’ll post a zip archive when the tablet arrives.

1 Like

I’ll definitely update when I receive the tablet. I’m hoping its BIOS is not updated to latest firmware and it’s at v308.

With your method, is there any way to circumvent the issues I detailed in my previous post above?

Sorry, I don’t know. Will see with the first unlock attempt.

1 Like

I took a look in my framework desktop and you can’t even disable the secure boot. So can’t test this out even if I wanted to. Or I’m missing something here

I’m glad to say I finally received my Asus Z13 2025 128GB. I had to go through a lot of hoops (weird customs, tariff saga, etc.)

@Sweet_Kitten I am ready to follow-up on this :+1: Hope we can potentially unlock the advanced features in UEFI/BIOS!

What UEFI version is currently installed? I found the support page and ready to download.

  1. When I received my laptop, I rushed into BIOS before doing absolutely anything… as I was really praying it would be v308 or lower (as I mentioned above). AND I was ecstatic when I found it is v308 :heart_eyes:
  2. Not sure if this applies to me as it is Sixunited PCB, but hopefully I won’t need a disassembly and re-flashing if it is bricked/borked!

So, it’s 308. Thanks for the info. Expect next message from me in an hour.

I understand. Hope it won’t brick when you start playing with settings.
The best strat is to think twice before applying new value. Like if you know the cpu doesn’t support ram speed this high, it’s not worth trying to set it above the limit.


EDIT: Here ASUS-ROG-Flow-GZ302_308.zip on GDrive.

The launch process is the same as for Framework desktop script.

1 Like
  • Thank you very much! A quick question: This is kind of an auxiliary UEFI/BIOS (i.e. it runs from USB flash drive, and doesn’t write over the BIOS in the laptop’s PCB), correct?
  • I’ll take a few days and familiarize myself with this whole process as I want to do it safely (I paid 4100$ for this computer :sweat_smile: ). I’ll be following this thread (I mentioned a few months ago too): Ryzen AI MAX+ 395 "Strix Halo" w/ Radeon 8060S | Page 4 | Overclock.net
  • I understand that, theoretically, just running this firmware from USB flash drive would not brick my device. I will be extremely careful and like you suggested, modify in baby steps and don’t change “super advanced settings” without researching about it a bit.
  • In a few hours, I will wrap up my work and reboot to BIOS to unlock Secure Boot (hopefully it’s there!).

It’s not. It’s just 3 uefi apps and 1 driver, which needed for editing uefi image copy stored in ram, and not in physical spi chip.
The contents of the archive are safe to run on any computer.

1 Like
  • I gladly confirm Secure Boot option is accessible. I disabled in my UEFI/BIOS.
  • I created the flash with those files and booted.
  • It goes through steps on a black screen
  • but the BIOS that loads doesn’t seem to add anything more to the Advanced tab compared to vanilla BIOS. Here is the screenshot.

@arta
Did you reboot the pc when you got to bios setup? Or it entered automatically in the end?
Asking cuz it should’ve entered by itself.

I’m going to send a second archive in private messages. This bios probably needs another module being patched.
The issue is that EsaFull DXE couldn’t be found.
Even after managing to locate it by srep, patches weren’t effective at all. I failed to unlock this one.