[SOLVED] Corrupted/Erased Bios on Asus ROG G751JY during Bios Version 213 update; CH341a Programmer help.

@xkwas - Yes, try with main battery/power connected, one at a time, sometimes one or both is needed, other times all removed is needed. Many times, it’s just a bad connection and you have to keep trying.
Looks like you got it, will leave this here for others later, as you did above too

Here is BIOS with unlocked FD, NVRAM back in, All original board details back in, NVME Mod done + ME FW updated to latest - I was going to do CPU microcode updates, but decided to wait and ask you first. If you want, we can do later, you can flash in via FPT
Main thing here, is to check ME FW version in BIOS main page (if it shows there, can’t remember) or with HWINFO64 in windows. After you program this in, remove all power (CMOS, main battery, PSU), then press and hold the power on button for 10 seconds, then let sit without power for one minute
Then boot to BIOS, load optimal defaults, save and reboot to BIOS again and make any other changes you want, and then check ME FW as mentioned above. If all OK, then you can put system back together, if not all OK then I will use another source ME region to redo ME for you again.

https://ufile.io/81w5bqm5

Big THANKS @Lost_N_BIOS
Just followed the steps, flashed good, put together and ran the system. Everything looks normal, except the keyboard backlight is still dead :frowning:
I used the intel CSME Version detection tool and I can now find the Intel ME FW: 9.0.31.1487. Intel Management Engine Interface is now present at Device Manager/System Devices.
System reboots faster now, also I don’t experence the bootloop that used to required a hard shutoff from the power.
Thank you very much again for your support!
Just wondering what are the CPU microcodes benefiting for?
Also, what options I may try for the backlight fix?

@xkwas - Great to hear it’s much better now! Sorry the backlight is still off
I will get you info on two ways we can try to fix that shortly, I assumed reprogram would do that, especially since I know the NVRAM I put in there has working backlight in it.
This means either you will have to try AFU which I hate, to see if it will resort the NVRAM and fix that, or we may need to check/confirm your EC FW is programmed into it’s chip properly. I assume so, or I think your fan would be messed up, but maybe some area in it is off still.
Plus, there is another Asus tool that can fix this sometimes, but it simply writes to NVRAM which I already know should be working (came from another same system user here confirmed working after AFU reflash using /N switch)
However, there was two users here that both did the same, maybe others NVRAM will work better for you, we’ll have to test.

If you want to try the NVRAM reset with AFU, this is the thread were they fixed their backlights using AFU - Specific BIOS modding problems with an ASUS ROG G751-JY notebook (2)
Use the file I sent you above. Read through that entire thread, use the AFU posted there by me (or whichever they were using, I think I uploaded latest version for them, it’s old ES version but latest one)

CPU microcodes fix bugs, add security fixes etc, stuff like that. Don’t worry, we’ll sort your backlight out!

@Lost_N_BIOS
I have never flashed my bios with AFU before
I read over the thread you posted and noticed user @Svan has successfully revived his KB backlight using afudos.exe image.rom /N /GAN. I couldn’t find afudos version 3.05.04, but I downloaded another 3.06.1, where allegedly /GAN is still present. However I experienced the following error:

error.jpg

Am I using the wrong version of afudos? I also noticed, when I backup the existing image using afudos /O - it creates a 6MB (6,291,456 bytes) file. I tried flashing the whole 8MB (8,388,608 bytes) file that you provided me at the post above (xkwas-Fix.bin) should I instead use FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin and then afudos biosreg.bin /N /GAN ?
Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

@xkwas - Good you’ve never flashed with AFU, however the NVRAM I had to use likely has been flashed via AFU already. That AFU ES is the version I would have sent you. The issue here is, AFU can mess up BIOS for later uses, and how they did was flash back originally dumped AFU backup.
That may work for you now, I am not sure, dump BIOS first with AFU and try again that same command above. Full BIOS or BIOS region shouldn’t matter to AFU, it knows, but since it’s not meant for this BIOS, it may be best to try with BIOS region (try this before dump with AFU / reflash)
Here is the BIOS region only from the BIOS I sent you - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…126144545113086

Also, once the above works, but if keyboard backlight doesn’t come back, also try >> AFU filename.bin /K /GAN

FPT not used here, but I prefer/suggest this over AFU, however since you used programmer it should have been fixed already and it’s not, this why I’m suggesting we try AFU to fix for now.
I may need to give you other NVRAM region instead, but we’ll see if AFU can fix it first.

You may also need to reinstall ATK driver package

@Lost_N_BIOS so now I’m gonna flash afudos xkwasbiosreg.bin /N /GAN ?
I’ll report.

Yes, also, see my edits on previous page in case you missed anything I edited in
Also, double check and be sure you have the backlight cable (smaller one) plugged in correctly and fully under the keyboard (if you disconnected it while taking apart)

afudos xkwasbiosreg.bin /N /GAN
No keyboard light still :frowning:
afudos xkwasbiosreg.bin /K /GAN
No backlight.
I may have a broken ribbon cable, or running out of options…

Don’t stress about it. Please reinstall ATK package first. Then wait, I may need to make you other BIOS to try. We may also need to dump and reflash your EC FW chip too, unsure if that could have got messed up during the BIOS update.
Stop flashing for now, nothing else to do there. Check cable, then wait, tonight I will make you new BIOS to try once I have more time.

* Edit - I forgot to ask, when you programmed in the BIOS I sent you initially, did you erase first, then blank check, then write/verify? If yes, OK, only checking.
I will send you tonight known backlight working dumped BIOS, if it works then I will put in your details, if not then there is some other issue (cable, or EC FW etc)
@ tagging you to ensure you see edit above @xkwas

I’m very grateful to @Lost_N_BIOS for leading through the whole process. At this point I have my laptop back, latest bios, added NVME mod and unlocked for future tinkering. I just updated to the newest ATK package, but the problem persists, no big deal :slight_smile:
I erased the old bios, didn’t click blank check, but I reopened the programmer and clicked READ to see if there is anything there and it was all dots (…). Then I clicked Program, it passed verify, put together the PC and everything worked (except the keyboard). I may actually have a bad cable there, because everything else doesn’t show some bad side effects.
P.S I could read the EC version of the bios in the main page, if that answers the EC related challenges.

@xkwas - Thank you, but I’d hope we can sort this final issue.

Your programming method may be the issue, several things wrong there with what you described. Please erase, then blank check (read should not have been dots, should have been all FF)

Good to hear you can read EC version, but that does not necessarily mean EC FW OK. Please do the programming correctly and see if that fixes the backlit KB issue or not.
If not, then here, try both of these BIOS, both are users dumps from the other thread, confirmed backlight working on both. I also just noticed, I did not put your LAN MAC ID in the other BIOS I sent you, so ethernet would not be working

Please test both programmed in properly, SV.bin and ET.bin if SV.bin doesn’t fix things. But, do in this order
1. Program SV.Bin, test/check, if nothing see 2
2. Flash SVreg.bin with AFU /N /GAN, then check/test, if no luck, next
3. Program ET.bin, test/check, if nothing yet, see 4
4. Flash ETreg.bin with AFU /N /GAN, then check/test.

If none of that fixes it, program back in new BIOS included xkwasNew.bin (This is same as your previous I sent you, but I fixed LAN MAC ID at GbE region, that I forgot previously!)
https://ufile.io/cihdbs8h

Yes, you may have cable in backwards, or slightly off-center, or totally missed connecting it again, if you removed the board or disconnected a bunch of cables. Cable wouldn’t be bad, but could be not connected fully or properly.
If you removed the keyboard then it could be missed, or off-skew, under keyboard. If you did not remove keyboard, you may have disconnected the other end at board side, and then missed putting it back, or it’s backwards, or off-center or not snugged in properly ect.
Check for that, it’s a thin flat ribbon cable usually, only 3-4mm wide.

This man and his knowledge not only helped me revive my computer, but now it’s booting faster, have successfully transplanted my old information to a new physical BIOS chip, added a NVME Mod (to be tested with a new NVME memory stick soon), helped me go through all the steps (I’m a beginner at the bios mod world out here) and finally, the keyboard backlight is now ON! (I went straight for step #2).
BIG THANK YOU to a grand BIOS guru @Lost_N_BIOS !

@xkwas - GREAT you have backlit KB now!! That BIOS region was one I made for Svan (+ your details) from here at post #11, that shows what updates/changes it also has included
What is your CPU model? If you do not have CPU with CPUID 306C3, then I need to remake that for you with your CPU model in mind. That wont change the backlit or ME FW etc

You’re welcome, and thanks to you again for sticking with me while we sorted it all out, and thanks for all the awesome support!

My CPU is i7 4720HQ, however I am not sure where I could find the cpu ID.

Great, you are all set with microcodes then! That CPU is CPUID 306C3, you can see CPUID for CPU’s on this site, here’s your CPU’s page (CPUID near bottom, but usually in top area for many CPU’s, in case you look at other later
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/In…0processor.html

I’m not sure if you ever programmed in full BIOS with your MAC ID set properly at GbE region, so here, please take this file and run the following with FPTw and you’ll be all sorted out I think!
FPTw.exe -gbe -f gbe.bin

https://ufile.io/mx9ufjs7

done and done :slight_smile:
On a side note, there used to be static / animated option at the bios + Beep on POST menus, which are now gone after the SVReg.bin flash. No biggie, it doesn’t matter anymore, since the PC is up and running FAST!

Good, now you are set on LAN MAC ID!

As for the Static/Animated, post beep etc, those are usually hidden from user. Do you want a full unlocked BIOS menu, or just those settings visible?
Maybe I unlocked in your previous BIOS, or they were enabled by default, but now aren’t in this last BIOS you used? I can unlock all menus for you if you want, or just those few settings, let me know.
If you want full BIOS Unlocked menus, please take images of the BIOS for me and show me one each of Main, Advanced, Boot, Save and Exit (and on Advanced, be sure to show me at the root level, what all settings and submenus you can currently see)

Great to hear it’s running smoothly and FAST now Since that BIOS has updated RST,if you use RST drivers be sure to install something from the V14 driver range.

Alright, here are the current menus. I’d be curious to see the hidden / unlocked values, no biggie apparently :slight_smile:

Edit: files are now in a .zip.
Edit2: Advanced tab is available too.

BIOS-Advanced-Tab.jpg

Bios-Menus.zip (5.77 MB)

@xkwas - Please put those in a 7zip, rar, or zip, thanks

There is TONS of hidden from you settings, which you would see al in unlocked BIOS. If you want to see them before that, find and download AMIBCP 4.55, then open any BIOS for your board with that, and expand all the menus on the left and you can see all the hidden settings.

Oh wow, just opened the official Asus .213 bios and I’m impressed by the amount of stuff hidden by default. Some overclocking related options there, which makes me think - is overclocking even feasible for a G751JY?