[SOLVED] Corrupted/Erased Bios on Asus ROG G751JY during Bios Version 213 update; CH341a Programmer help.

Now, you see what I mean Usually half of that or more is hidden in desktops too. Overclocking, I can’t really comment about, it may be possible, depending on settings in there and what your cooler can keep up with.
Tweaking memory for sure is usually possible (speed, and often timings too)

Okay, in order to enable a setting, should I just change “Access/Use” from Default to USER, without touching the Failsafe & Optimal values?
Also, may I just dump the bios region w/ fptw and then reflash it back using fptw again (after modifications)? Is the procedire ‘as simple’ as that?
Thank you!

That may or may not work for some settings (Or Supervisor), but ONLY in currently visible menus you can see now. I usually send out some test sets of BIOS to see what method works for individual settings and or submenus.
Some settings are also suppressed by code in the setup module, which needs unsuppressed first before User/Super may or may not be needed.

Generally speaking, if AMIBCP does not trash/break your BIOS then yes, dump BIOS region with FPT, edit, flash back. However, that is never what I do, in case AMIBCP breaks the BIOS.
I make any edits needed in that manner, with AMIBCP, then extract the main file it should only be changing and put back in that file only manually into the target BIOS dump. Or I make those same edits manually via hex with info from Setup IFR output, both ways = same/same
I do it this way to ensure less bricks, especially if user does not have flash programmer in hand.

Making hidden menus visible, that are not currently visible (ie hidden advanced, or chipset etc) are much more difficult mod to do.
And to explain that one to you, I’d have to do this mod first, and for that you need to be generally familiar with BIOS editing and other BIOS editing tools (UEFITool, Hex editor etc)

Best for you to wait and let me do the mod if you do not have flash programmer in hand. I was waiting for you to put all those images into a zip as requested on post #59, then I would do the mod for you

I put all photos in a .zip. Haven’t really messed with memory timings before, that sounds beneficial.
I’d give it a shot.

@xkwas - Thanks So, now that you used AFU, you cannot dump BIOS region with FPT (FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin) and then reflash it back (FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin), can you?
I expect you will get error 204, right? Or, maybe you won’t, since you only used AFU for NVRAM, I can’t remember for sure how all you used it and how the “BIOS region” (ie no flag + /GAN or /P /GAN) was last flashed, so you’ll have to test this now with FPT to confirm
If you do not get that error, and can write it back, then send me that biosreg.bin file for edit. If you do get that error, then for now, I guess you will have to AFU Flash in the mod BIOS too (using /P flag for what we’ll edit here)

Error 280: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space!
I guess I need to do the grub unlock again?

SMI Lock! Sorry for not mentioning, yes, that would need done first. Then dump, try reflash, if all OK send me that dump
You need to unlock 0xA2 and 0XA3 >> Set both 0x0

Now these steps seem like a walk in a park :slight_smile:
Edit: biosreg.zip is now attached

biosreg.zip (2.31 MB)

Nice, maybe now, when I give you back, then you get the 204 error from AFU Flash (if not, great )
Give me some time, unlock BIOS will soon follow

* Edit @xkwas - missing image (root of advanced, also scroll up/down if needed so I can see all there) - please add above by itself

Advanced root screenshot is updated at #58.
@Lost_N_BIOS Thank you for unlocking, you don’t have to go too crazy with adding too many options, but whatever you decide to unlock is fine. Thank you!

--------------

Problem (?) detected Did the bios NVME Support driver got removed somehow after the SVReg.bin flash (keyboard backlight fix)? The BIOS won’t detect a Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME. I have removed all hard disks and the only bootable device that the BIOS would find and try to boot is the DVD. Any ideas?
P.S Windows USB Installation runs fine and detects the NVME drive.

Hello there!
User @Lost_N_BIOS was very kind to me and included a NVME mod to my ASUS .213 BIOS. However once I list the SATA devices at BIOS, I cannot find the new Samsung 970 PRO NVME. I could see my other 850 EVO and a LiteOn spinner drives tho. I suspect NVME driver might be lost during further later modifications with my BIOS, but I just wanted to check with other Asus ROG G751JY users whether or not they could find NVME drives at BIOS before successfully being able to boot Windows 10 OS from it.
Thank you very much!

@xkwas :
AMI UEFI BIOSes without native NVMe support generally do not show the name of the manufacturer and the model of an NVMe SSD within the BOOT section of the BIOS.
After the successful insertion of the natively not present NVMe EFI module the correctly connected NVMe SSD should be listed within the BIOS as disk drive named "PATA" or "PATA_SS".

I might have to redo the NVME driver insert for my system. I can’t find PATA or PATA_SS at the SATA devices list.

NVMe SSDs are no SATA ones. You can find them only within the "BOOT" section of the BIOS.

@xkwas - Probably best you just asked me in your thread to confirm if NVME mod was there in final edit, you are correct, as many things as we did and I thought we’re still in middle of (?), it could have been skipped in some BIOS possibly.
Which BIOS are you using (What post #)? Yes, I just checked, we are dead in the middle of starting a mod BIOS again for you, so I’m not 100% sure which BIOS you are using.
However I checked the last FPT region dump you sent me and there is no NVME mod there, so this thread for no reason, you can stop trying this now and wait until we are done with your mod BIOS.
This probably due to you flashing those other BIOS recently trying to get your backlit KB going again, remember. So, right now, you are not using a NVME mod BIOS.
I will edit your last FPT dump for NVME now and post back to you in your main thread

-------------------- Thread Merged, thanks @Fernando I planned to do that too ----------------

Yes, that’s because you last flashed a non-NVME BIOS, please wait and I will make you NVME Mod BIOS again from your last FPT dump.
It’s intricate to do this mod on this BIOS (or you get brick), so please wait I can’t do instantly. Maybe I can get done in next 15-20 minutes before I have to go, but not sure.

* Edit - @xkwas - here is your last FPT dump with NVME mod done, flash via >> FPTw.exe -bios -f nvme.bin
If you get error 204 this is due to use of AFU again, so you’ll have to AFU Flash it, first just use AFU filename /P /GAN - then if KB backlight lost again use same file but AFU filename /N /GAN (Don’t use this first/only when/if you use AFU or NVME Mod wont go in)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…399147097391208

@xkwas @Lost_N_BIOS
Since there was no reason to start a new thread about the question why the NVMe SSD is not shown within the BIOS (requires the presence of an NVMe module within the BIOS), I have merged the other posts into this already existing one.
Hoping, that this is ok for you
Dieter

Thank you both, I appreciate your time and effort. You could delete the other thread. I think @Lost_N_BIOS knows about the specific case and he will help when he has a chance.

@xkwas - see post #75 on page #5

@Lost_N_BIOS I flashed the nvme.bin using fpt.exe (dos) - it was looking good until the last row, where the error 204 came up. I rebooted the system and now the PC starts and turns off like 3 seconds later :(. I have made a backup using fpt of the existing working bios tho (working keyboard, unlocked bios / SMI). That is working.bin. Do I need to get the programmer involved again?

working.zip (2.32 MB)

@xkwas - Yes, I assume 204 error would happen, but sorry I forgot to tell you that you have to flash back stock BIOS region dump after that before rebooting (via FPT or AFU). Very sorry I forgot to mention, was in too big of a hurry when I typed out that comment about 204!

Yes, you will need to program in BIOS again now, it’s bricked. Here, program this in, this is full BIOS created with the BIOS I sent you (NVME2.bin), if that fails after programmer, program in Back2Base.bin (This is your working FTP dumped region, without NVME Mod).
If you have to use the Back2Base file above, then once you are running again, then use AFU to flash in the original NVME BIOS I sent you (with commands I mentioned on previous page).
I hate use of AFU for this reason, among many others, it often causes this issue when trying to do future flashes in a correct manner, that’s why I always try to avoid having you guys use AFU
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…534141835542762