[SOLVED] P9X79 WS/IPMI BIOS Overclocking unlocked...

@Lost_N_BIOS No problems with the flashing. Went smoothly and AItuner was usable. The only issue I’ve had is the front audio no longer works. @MMFC378 did you run into this issue? If not, what audio drivers are you using?

Front audio may be assigned differently in the BIOS tables, sorry I’m not familiar with that and only know one person here who is, but unsure if he’s busy or would be willing to help on this @reactive

Hello! I found this forums and thread doing a search on this Asus x79 board.
I have some info that maybe of help. I found all the BIOS, drivers and layout/manual for it. A driver download site had all the files for this board
So I grabbed all they had and made a couple backups. They were so hard to find
I also found out that from After BIOS 0401 they added the password, older BIOS do not have it and you can tweak away.
So I flashed back to 0401 from the 1001 that they came with using the Asus flashback… This got rid of the password and everything works great
One problem with the old BIOS is they added support for Ivybridge v2 xeons and i7-49xx after this 0401 BIOS is support for 49xx / 1650 v2 CPUs
I run e5-1650 or i7-3930k CPUs so running the older BIOS does not matter to me.

I have an Idea, can the support for the newer CPUs and NVME drive be added to this older BIOS without much hassle?
That maybe the way to go to keep the boards info, have support for the new hardware and get rid of this stinking password.
I have 0401 and 1001 made for this board.
Can the updated CPU info (ivybridge) be put into the older 0401.
That would make life easier for a lot of people. I have seen several threads over the net about this with no solution.

From what I can figure these boards are an OEM board made for CISCO. I believe this because Asus has no support and they are not help at all.
They told me if there is a password, the customer put it there
And the manual I can find with the boards layout and info is a manual published by CISCO

Also in the BIOS description it said something about saving a setting to BIOS profile, save it as a saved BIOS settings, reload that profile and it will remove the password. No, did not work for me, or I did not do it right.

Any way I will check back later and see what you think.

Hello, I am new here and do not want to do something wrong. There is another thread but it is "SOLVED" I take that as start a new thread, yes?
I have a few ASUS P9x79-WS-IPMI MB with the crazy password in the BIOS for the TWEAKER section.
I know the password was added after BIOS P9x79-WS-IPMI-ASUS-0401.cap BIOS xxxxxxx-1001.cap is the newest BIOS.
What 0401 BIOS does not have is support for new IvyBridge CPUs
I am completely new at BOIS modding just so you know
What I did so far was get the AMI update tools and was able to get the CPU microcode updated. It took me a couple hours to get it. But I did.
Going to flash and test ASAP. If it goes wrong I have other boards and I can swap BIOS chips and do a hot flash if I have to.
What I want to know is:
Can I post the old 0401.cap unchanged, the 0401.cap modified (with new CPU microcode) after testing of course, and the newest 1001.cap with password intact since no one knows what it is or can get rid of it?

Then after that maybe update it so it can use the newest NVME drives. I will need a point in the right direction to update those.

I would like to upgrade the CPU to an e5-1680 v2. Why I am doing this. Would also like to help others with this oddball motherboard.

Asus is no help with these boards and have no idea on how to support them. At least the last time I called them about it. They were useless.
Newegg sold a lot of these boards as a 5 pack and singles, and they still are on ebay.
It would be nice to have a place where people who need these files can get them.
I also found the drivers and board layout sheets for this board . I will post links if allowed and I can find them again. I have them all.

This is where I found the original drivers and BIOS files Search for P9x79-WS-IPMI
http://www.driversguru.com/s.php

I see a BIOS 1104 there now, here is what that one says. Maybe I will play with that and see if I can get rid of the password with an OC file…

BIOS 1104 for 9SB03R00Y BIOS released to public1. Improved system compatibility.2. Fix compatibility for Kinesis Anvantage USB keyboard. 3. Improve compatibility for multi-core CPU.4. Patch compatibility for some Kingston modules.5. Update IRST OpRom to 3.8.0.1029.6. Fixed AiTweaker password may be removed after uploading OC profile.

Here is the manual /board layout

asus-p9x79-ws-ipmi-manual.pdf (5.67 MB)

It’s OK @Bill1024 - he wanted that marked as solved so others would knot the issue has been resolved, I’ll move your posts to that thread and we can keep it going for other P9X79-IMPI users in the future too. @MMFC378 @Nuckyy ^^

Interesting about the change log there >> Fixed AiTweaker password may be removed after uploading OC profile
What do you take that to mean, Ai Tweaker password gets removed sometimes on previous BIOS, if you saved/Uploaded(?) an OC Profile, so a BIOS Bug can remove that previously on accident?
Or, do you take that as previously there as a bug password on Ai Tweaker and they fixed it now, so it’s gone (Hard to dechiper Chinese translation sometimes, especially from BIOS engineer change logs)

I do not know about Ivy V2, was that fixed on the regular P9X79 boards? If yes, then it will work on this board too, but only with the other BIOS.
And that is how I solved the issue for the other two users on the other thread, to get rid of Ai Tweaker password and allow them to use this board normally, I made special BIOS for them so they could get flashed over to the non-IMPI BIOS.

I am not sure what that means. I thought it was supposed to go away with an OC profile upload. But maybe that was a bug they fixed. I don’t know either.
BIOS 0401 did not have the password and works good. So I updated the microcode and I will flashback it and see. I do have an e5-2650V2 to test with
Going to put that CPU in before I flash it just to see what it does. I will post up the results.

Did you know about the older password free BIOS 0401?

Updating the microcoad should of added support for new CPUs like ivybridge you think?

I hope it is easier just to update this IPMI BIOS with BIOS updater like I did and have it work
If it does work, I will follow the guide to add NVME. I have a drive and an adapter to test with.

The guides on here were very good and a big help. I am learning new things for sure

These boards have been a PITA all the way. Very hard to find any info anywhere. Only one place I found for the drivers and the manual even harder to find.
It is Asus’s red headed stepchild. I can not believe they know nothing about this board.

No, I didn’t know about the older BIOS not having this issue, thanks for brining it to our attention. Older BIOS may be OK for some, but I’d personally prefer using latest BIOS, and even that for this model is not updated nearly as much as the regular boards.

Yes, I assume you can NVME Mod the old 0401 BIOS too if you wanted. Or, I can get you moved over to a regular non-IMPI BIOS if you want like I did for the other two users previously, up to you.
As mentioned, I don’t know about the Ivy CPU’s, do you know if they are working on the non-IMPI? If they are, but don’t on this even after updating microcodes in latest (Ai Tweaker locked) BIOS version, then you may need to get moved to the non-IMPI BIOS so you can have the Ivy compatibility
Sometimes it’s much more than adding a microcode to make them work, not always is it that simple.

dear @Lost_N_BIOS ,

i’ve recently received a server called Ciaratech Orion Hf210, which has a p9x79 ws/ipmi motherboard, however I do not plan to use any of the ipmi features, please could you assist me in also unlocking the AI tweaker section of the bios, as none of the pre-existing overclock settings are stable; your help would be greatly appreciated as im a student who doesn’t have the money to buy a new board, but would also benefit from the extra performance an overclock would grant in applications such as 3dsmax, autocad and blender.

i also do not have a copy of older revisions of the bios to flash back to, so sadly i can’t use an older version of the bios unless @Bill1024 would be so kind to upload his copy of 0401.

specs:

i7 3960x at stock,
8gb quad channel ddr3 1333mhz,
p9x79 ws/ipmi motherboard.

thanks for reading and i hope you can help, kind regards Harry.

Try this link to the BIOS file http://www.driversguru.com/driverdetail/…S-0401.zip.html
If that does not work go to http://www.driversguru.com and on their webpage search for P9X79-WS-IPMI and all the drivers and bios are there

Good luck

@HaroldtheWeird - see above, if you don’t want to use 0401 I can mod some other BIOS for you if you want.

Hello Dear @Lost_N_BIOS , i have the same problem, can you help me please. But i am new in this manipulations, can you give me the plan what i need to do step by step 1) 2) 3) and so on PLEASEEEEE.

@Lost_N_BIOS I have an HF210 that has AITweaker locked down as well… It had a ver 12+ bios on it… rolled back to the 1104 and that did not unlock it… So I rolled back to 401 and that unlocked AI tweaker but I no longer have any fan control settings… and I couldn’t adjust them before without AI Tweaker… Could I get the 11 or 12 version modded without the password? or is that already in here somewhere?

Thanks!

@BeefSupreme @HaroldtheWeird @hENNNi - The only way for you to get the more recent mod BIOS is for you to dump your BIOS region for me via FPT, then I can get you cross-flashed over to the other boards BIOS.
Otherwise use the 401 BIOS as mentioned on page 6 - to get FPT BIOS region dump, please read through this thread and you will find the way.

Please note, there is no V11/V12 BIOS, if you want crossflashed to non-IMPI BIOS it will be 4901 or something like that (if you choose other than latest version)
If any of you three have flash programmer (like CH341A or other) best thing to do is send me full programmer dump, otherwise send me FPT BIOS region dump

So, I recently got one of these boards and I already have a 25XX Flasher so here I am. I am having an issue getting the IA tweaker and setting working. I am going to grab a copy of the above and compare to mine but a where to look would be amazing or what needs to be changed. I can also make a program to make these changes for people so that we can have a solution to allow for people to get these boards up and running. Attached is a dump of my BIOS (Just Microcode updated) https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uq5FmW…qGBPlZoTjWfVO-t

Thanks and have a great day!

@dragonsun252 - two padding files are missing in this BIOS, have you tested it after you modified the microcodes? If yes, OK, only checking, sometimes this means bricked BIOS, but if you tested already then it’s OK
Do you want flashed over to the non-IMPI version? You’d have to be here, watching me, taking notes, to even get started on possibly doing this with a program, it’s not a simple mod/edit.

That’s what was booting this thing when I got it lol. I will be testing some factory BIOS in a bit. It’s odd that it’s different and I would like to keep the IMPI version. I would like to get this system up and running well but getting a fully unlocked BIOS would be a big help. Any tips on where to look? I have been learning to add device support, edit menus, remove whitelists. It’s a lot of work and a lot of learning but I love this :).

So I grabbed to stock BIOS and tested it against my old one. Both boot fine with lock. Ver 401 Boots meh without the lock. Ver 401 has issues lol. I was checking it against the new BIOS and there where a lot of changes in the GUID Table. I may have narrowed the password lock to the AmiTSE Module possibly. Thoughts? @Lost_N_BIOS

P.S. Thanks for the help you provide.

@dragonsun252 - You said you modified it, so that can’t be what was booting when you got it? So, I have your “Mod BIOS”, did you test that?
Well, I guess none of that matters anyway now that I mention, I will pull your board specific details and put into other BIOS anyway, and I’ll update those microcodes properly so the issue I mentioned isn’t there.

AMITSE stuff I answered you in PM, it may be there, but I’d need to try 100-1000 changes in person to find it. That module and AMITSE/SetupData does control the BIOS settings, along with setup module.
I’ve played around there a bit early in this thread with other users, and could make the password disabled, but then still no Ai Tweaker entry, so much easier to move to non-IMPI module, until someday I have one of these IMPI’s in hand and can figure this out in person, then I could remove it from the latest IMPI BIOS even.

Ohh, and yes, I can unlock BIOS menus, hidden settings etc.

* Edit - trying to find password again in google for this, I found this nugget on an old ebay listing, good info for future users who maybe don’t want mod BIOS
Using AI suite intended for the non-ipmi model of the motherboard allows for you to have all ipmi features and the ability overclock / undervolt, this is due to AI tweaker being present in its completeness in the bios
however a password blocks access; this is circumvented by the using the AI suite method (base clock and multiplier overclocking is possible).

@HaroldtheWeird - sorry I missed your post until now! Please send me your AFU BIOS backup and I will make you BIOS like I did for the previous users.
Unless, if you have a flash programmer like CH341A, then send me your full BIOS dump instead.

---------------------------------

@dragonsun252 - here is direct fixed BIOS for you, not modified in same way as others in this thread, since they needed mod Frankenstein BIOS (regular WS BIOS but with WS-IMPI FID + USB Flashback module from IMPI too so it would accept that the BIOS and think it was IMPI)
This is straight up WS BIOS, so you can flash any WS BIOS with ease in the future using normal update methods (EZ Flash).
This has unlocked FD, updated CPU microcodes to latest + NVME mod and BIOS menu unlock to add expanded PCI Subsystem settings and System Agent swapped so you have full access to IOH Bifurcation options for NVME PCI Cards.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…494509883015791

I was going to update ME FW for you too, but it’s easier for you to do that with FW Update tool or FPT, I have issues every time with FITc and X79 ME FW, so I’d rather not mess with it and have you do the update on that if you want using ME FW update tool or FPT (latest is 8.1.70.1590_1.5MB_PRD_RGN)

This does not have your NVRAM copied over, due to different BIOS menus/settings etc, it wouldn’t match up. So all your saved profiles will be gone.
We could try to put NVRAM back in later if you wanted, but I think it would cause issues, however maybe I could swap in/out the stock setup areas of NVRAM and that may fix these issue if we do that later and it has problems.
And, we may have to do that too, I’m not sure, some BIOS OK and rebuild this from the sparse stock one, others wont start with only sparse stock NVRAM. We shall see.
If it gives us fits, it may be easier for us both for me to make you BIOS just like I did the others, I have that already ready for anyone, just have to copy in each users board specific info

-----------------------

* Edit - @dragonsun252 - I see just above, another HF210 system owner BeefSurpreme at post #93 had same/similar fan issues without even doing anything like we’ve done here, sounds like he never could in BIOS as you’ve noticed too
He mentioned, only w. Ai Suite, I assume he meant this since Ai Tweaker doesn’t have fan controls and he’s locked out of it anyway

@BeefSupreme - can you clarify, is your fan settings blank – or NA on Monitor page, like below. Were they always this way, if not, which BIOS showed them properly and which did not, that you can remember?

Fan-Monitor.jpg

@HaroldtheWeird @hENNNi @Bill1024 - same questions for you ^^ Especially since you never replied back, so I assume still on IPMI BIOS

@Nuckyy @MMFC378 - can you guys comment on this, did you always see similar, if not, which BIOS showed fan speeds properly? Do you now seem them with the BIOS I made you

So upon so digging of my old bios image that came on this board I noticed that it has a different driver for the Fan.
@Lost_N_BIOS

So I noticed on the ipmi board we physically have more fan headers then the standard WS board. We also have a jumper for selecting DC or pwm for fan. With the modified bios setting the jumper to pwm at all results in a non boot. DC it turns on and boots and fans run at odd speeds.