[TOOL] Easy automated Mod tool for Coffee Lake bios

Hi everyone.Is it possible for this mb B250M-ds3h to mod bios which will support coffe lake cpu like I5 8500?Thank you in advance…

yes it is possible, but depends on the revision of the chip you have, for microcode selection.

1 Like

Tnx for answer but how I can see revision chip on my mb?I have flashed moded bios with coffe time selected 8600 cpu

1 Like

Can You make a similar tool or guide for AMD Ryzen MBs?

what i meant with the revision is on the cpu chip, not the mb. So you need the cpu in your hands first, and determine which revision is your cpu.

I see…It is not labeled on cpu?

Just certain cpu revision can work or?

Your bios have limited size for mcode, so you cant put all 906E9 to ED microcodes, and 506E3 for skylake. Yours SR3XE which means it should be U0 revision (SR3 xx), use 906EA mcode.

As I understand every i5 8500/8600 cpu has U0 revision…?

Why here says to isolate different pins than on image in the first post…?

Hi guys, I have a MSI Z170A Gaming M3 motherboard and when i had seen i can put a 9700k with this mod i pulled the trigger.

The steps i took was first making the modded bios, put in the microcode for the 9700k and also for my 6700 for safety. Writted the bios via FTP and all has gone perfect, rebooted the computer and windows loaded up perfectly fine with my 6700 still in the board. Next what i have done is isolated the 2 pins for my 9700k and put it in the motherboard with some fresh thermal paste. Crossed my fingers and booted up the computer. Got the message that the cpu has changed and that default bios settings will be applied. After some restarts windows booted up perfectly fine and the mod seemed to work.

But now comes the problem, when i ask high cpu load my whole pc freezes and i need to restart the computer, tried different settings in the bios but i keep gettings these freezes happening directly after starting a benchmark or asking high cpu load. Also no thermal problems, max cpu temp is 75 when i’m able to do a full cinebench test. When turning off intel turbo boost and the cpu stays at 3600mhz i dont have any problem.

What i have seen on HWinfo is that it shows the maximum voltage the cpu reached is 1.51v, isn’t this to high for stock settings? With intel XTU i played a bit with vcore offset and it looks like it helps a little bit but with really high usage like gaming it immediatly crashes.

Anyone can help or know what i can do?

Thankyou guys

@Fouadal Hi and welcome to Win-Raid forums.

Have you been monitoring the VRM temperatures with software such as HWinfo64?

The MSI Z170A Gaming M3 has 8 phase VRM (which is decent) but the cooling on the chipset may not be sufficient for an 8 core CPU pulling a lot of sustained current.

PCH temerature is not influenced by CPU and freezes directly after benchmark starts are, in general, not caused by anything overheating on the mainboard. First because mainboards and their cooler provide some heat capacity that makes rapid temperature changes impossible and second because there are safety mechanisms that will throttle the CPU in case of slower overheating. This is either an overheating in the CPU (very unlikely starting from 75 °C) or a question of lacking voltage. As maximum Vcore seems to be too high already (there might be an read-out error, though), it is either caused by too slow reactions, to low transient voltages at middle loads/during load changes or quite simply by too low voltages for uncore or RAM. Most of the former could be troubleshooted by limiting package power (instead of clock via Boost limit) and probabably deactivating some cores. (A single active core with wrong voltage profile will not stress VRMs, but still crash.)

My thought was also vrm overheating but i’m not able to see vrm in Hwinfo, probably my board does not support it. After setting my fans on max i only reach 65 degrees cpu temp when i am able to do a full cinebench test but still freezing 9/10 of the time when asking high cpu load.

Your theory sounds right, i already tried limiting package power this did not make a difference. Deactivating cores i did not try yet, i will give it a go.

Deactivating cores only allows you high clocks despite low power limits. If you already crash with lowered power limits and thus lower clocks, you definitley got a voltage problem somewhere. Personally, I had to reduce RAM clock by 200 MHz when going from 6700K to 9900K despite increasing voltages to 1.23 V SA (according to HWInfo), 1.34 V IMC and 1,42 V DRAM.

In the few cases where I have observed VRAM overheating before, however, there was never a crash to black. Normally all boards should pull prochot and than clocks go down. The lowest I got were 550 MHz on an Asus B450 with an (allegedly compatible) 3950X. But fade to black is either a voltage issue (including overwhelmed PSU) or some safety mechanism overreacting. Have you checked overcurrent limits?

Greetings!
As the title suggests, I own an Asus H110m-e/m.2 and has flashed the bios from 4210 to 4204. In the modding process, I also changed the ME to 11.0.8 Corporate and disabled it in coffeetime. After flashing it using a USB, the bios flashed successfully and the version has changed, but the ME stayed the same.
Can anyone help me on this?
For context, I’m trying to use a xeon e3 - 1220 v5 on it

Hello there, i have a Clevo rebrandet Laptop here, an N350DW (same as Wortmann/Terra 1542, Schenker F516, Nexoc B519). It has a H170 chiipset with a i5-6400t CPU installed. Can this thing also be modded to support a i9-9900k cpu, oder a i7 8700 cpu?

Am I right in understanding that the ‘Coffeetime 0.99.exe’ is the go to tool for 8th/9th gen function for Skylake boards ?

I dumped my bios but Coffeetime says N/A for UUID and SN . I even desoldered the chip and used a Ch314A reader , the UUID and SN is still missing …

Can I flash without the SN and UUID?

@90Ninety Hi, Gigabyte do not include any serial number or UUID (unlike Asus) so there is nothing to put into those fields.

The MAC address however should be entered if you have an Intel Gigabit ethernet adapter (which your GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 does) as you can erase/ovewrite it - which will make it non-functional.

@chinobino

I have an dual nic both intel and Killer GBE adapters … The board has the MAC adress stickers on each port… I couldn’t find a way to transfer/edit the MAC so I went ahead and flashed it , thinking I can edit it later if needed

Everything works fine , both Ethernet ports no problem . I have a feeling the MAC address is hardcoded into the ethernet IC on this board . .I might be wrong but working ok anyhow