Trying to boot a Xeon E3 1270v5 on Asrock z170a-x1/3.1 (Help)

@Lost_N_BIOS Do you think is it possible to change the BLCK of 100mhz to say 120mhz in the ME Region? There is option ‘‘Integrated Clock Controller’’ in FIT, maybe we could change that, to 120mhz ish. What do you think?

I only changed Reserved setting, all other settings were left default/as they were from transfer of your other ME/BIOS. OK, I will make you some more test BIOS tonight to play with and see if either is OK or not.
I didn’t check right now, but will tonight, is mcode 74 in there now, or do you need/want to go backwards to 74 on that too if not there already?

Yes, you can change default bclk setting like that in ME but I have never did that. 120 is very high, maybe test 105 and 110 first?
I will make you test BIOS on those, with exact same versions you already verified working above, that way if it fails you’ll know it’s only due to these changes

So version 2.20 has mCode 74 and the 7.20 has C2. 120 is not that high, i did used 160mhz to get 4.4ghz on Celeron. That was with no mod, the original 2.20 BIOS did allow BLCK OC.

So you’re confirming, as far as we know now, mcode 74 = bclk overclock but only in original 2.20 BIOS, but not in updated ME /reserved ME 2.20 BIOS.
I think that is correct summation, if so, then ME = reserved effectively disable ME kills Bclk overclock, so you can’t have both this mod for Xeon and bclk overclock.
Bclk overclock test is needed now on stock 7.20 BIOS, so you know if it works there with ME enabled and the updated C2 microcode. But I think all this moot point due to below thoughts.

So, if ME set bclk above 100 doesn’t work, then it’s not going to be possible since it’s controlled/allowed by ME and you want ME disable too.
That also make me think, no matter what we set bclk to in ME it’s not going to matter, since we are disabling ME, but it’s worth a test to find out if this is true or not.

Well i don’t know, maybe the BLCK is set before the ME is disable?

Edit: I did try to change the BLCK under FIT, but it does not go more than 100mhz. Maybe not possible?

I gonna give up on BCLK OC for now. Thinking in get a motherboard with external clock gen then i go back for it.

I have a ASROCK B150M Hyper PRO4 ,supporting BLCK OC.But in these two months,i’ll find a job,very hardly .On about October,i can try the OC with disabling ME and i’ll learn setting up ME manualy from Lost_N_BIOS.Replacing ME that size is not same interests me deeply.I have a ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming,ASROCK B150M Hyper,both 16M bios,supporting E3v5,ASROCK H110M-ITX,8M bios,not supporting E3v5 before.I can borrow other ASUS,MSI 100/200 MBs to try.I also have 2 x99 MBs and 2 H81 MBs,a good Flasher.Wish to face you all then.

The MB you bought supporting BLCK OC.I think you can try a little again.

@htpcfans Asrock B150M Hyper does have an external clock generator, that is how you can still BCLK OC. What is the ME vesion on Asrock H110M-ITX?

I see what you mean about FIT and Bclk, used to be able to, or at least I thought so, in older FIT versions for other boards, but maybe it looked that way and they could only go down too?
Editing XML may change that default max (?), I will test.

This is all I see when saving default XML
<Registers>
<Register name=“ENCCKRQ” mask=“0xFFFFFFFF” value=“0xFFFF0000” />
<Register name=“BCLK_FREQ” mask=“0xFFFFFFFF” value=“0x186A000” />
</Registers>

186A000 = 25600000 in binary
FFFFFFFF = 4294967295

I’m not sure what to test changing those to, or which to change, neither look like default of 100 , and “Mask” makes it look like "Let’s lie and show this value while applying this other value"

What do you think Bclk Spread means, right under Bclk? Looks like 2% max - changed this and saved, and it change the BCLK_FREQ value from above to 0x186A0C8 in XML, FFFFFFF stayed same

I see if you change “Profile type” above the Bclk area, you can change more values there, some under Bclk that seem related, but none appear to allow more than 100 on the actual bclk entry.

Intel probably lock those setting up. I’m looking for a MOBO with external clock gen, they are a bit expansive though. Asrock z170 Extreme4 and Asus z170 Pro Gaming.

Yes, I’m not sure if we can change, maybe at the “Default” BIOS level? I’d especially think that maybe possible, since we disable ME anyway.

It won’t let me past 100mhz with the original 2.20 BIOS.

So then 7.20 does allow you more than 100? What is happening when you are able to set more than 100, it doesn’t boot/failed overclock, or does it reset right back to 100 without a boot failure?

With the original 2.20 BIOS FIT won’t let me go above 100mhz. The 2.20 Mod BIOS, i change on BIOS to like 110mhz but in Windows is 100mhz. Back to BIOS it’s still at 110mhz.

So 2.20 BIOS is the way to go, and looks like ME controls this and allows it in that BIOS Mod. But seems like since no external generator like you mentioned so nothing above 100.
Same thing happens with 7.20 or different?

I was looking at other BIOS ME with FIT yesterday and saw settings under the ones we’re looking at here that allowed bclk to go above 100 in older ME.
I think they removed in new ME/FIT versions, in that old one it was locked 100 too until you changed the settings below it, then it could be raised above 100

Yes, same on 7.20. What was this version of ME that allow to change the BCLK under FIT settings?

I can’t remember which, some older version for much older board, like ME 7 or 8

OK, i’m let this BLCK OC thing with no external clock go, thank you for your support. Now i’m looking in get mobo with external clock gen. Asus have Pro Clock, Asrock Hyper BCLK. I don’t know what is best.

You’re welcome, sorry we couldn’t get it going for bclk overclock. It’s probably doable since you could bclk overclock with other CPU, correct? Maybe just not possible for this board with that Xeon, due to the other changes we have to make for the Xeon to work
I’m not sure about the other boards which is best, you’ll have to ask around, maybe in that other thread or @htpcfans would be able to tell you which is better