Updating BIOS of Gigabyte P35C-DS3R

hi, first of all, I wanna thanks very mutch all you guys for their efforts…I saw that helps a lot of people…Iand I tried to be one more…but…unfortunaly its not happened…I have the same mobo of this topic finally (was kind dificult get this mobo or other 775 good one at these days), and followed step by step the instructions modding the orom raid with cbrom 155 and after that, replacing all files under the moded rom…with cbrom 198…to be exactly same order on list from original bios (f12). also checked the meminit entry point value offset …was the same…2 days doing it…and getting courage to do it…lol…so finally flashed…but…saw a checksum warning (dont know what is that, even all these procedures)…afther the ckecksum warning, I saw a message that was update success…so…I turned off and jumpered the clear cmos according the instructions…with the heart disparated…and expectation…for my nightmares…the mobo dont post anymore…I think that it tried to do ‘‘the bios rescue’’ because it turn on, and automatically reset searching some bios image…I can be wrong…SO…do you guys can help me with this problem? i kind of…desperate lol…and 2 days and nights trying fix it…without luck…already tried put the image alone on cd…on a usb flash driver, possible reset pushs with combinations and nothing… :frowning: …sorry if I made mistake posting on this topic…but a have the same mobo…and tyed the same update…or had the mobo…dont know yet…

sorry…i forgot to say that I tryed too make a usb bootable dos…with the flasherspi and the image…and the autoexec .also did not work…and tryied make the floppy disk with the files (with original bios image extracted diretly to floppy with the autoexec and flasher, also did not work…

@ ronin san:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
I am sorry about your problems after trying to flash a modded BIOS and hope, that you will get support by a user, who has experience with a similar mainboard.
In the meantime I recommend to re-flash the original BIOS.

Regards
Fernando

thanks for the answer fernando…im trying to reflashing the bios but the mobo doesnt read the devices…floppy, cd or hd…gonna try more others possibilities…but a I have some questions about flashing this mobo…did you turned off and cleared cmos too after flashiing it (message of success flashed) ??? I saw in other site instructions the means turn off and clear cmos, and afther that start the mobo…maybe on this specific mobo, its possible to do a different procedure…because it damage the bios…like a saw on this link http://yorickdowne.wordpress.com/2009/02…e-ga-ep45-ud3p/ …and just like you guys I would like to help with this information …guys that will make this procedure…and I’m trying some alternative tryes, like emulate the bios image into a ‘‘hpa’’ (host pretected area) section hdd (the bios has a choice to copy a image bios in the hpa hd…just don´t know how do it yet…or how is the format of this image, or how to clone the hpa area…but…only thing I know is this procedure doesn´t work on raid mode…but just to flash bios…it works on ide mode…maybe…if we get a image hd with this hpa area in a file…to clone on other hdds…it will help other people with the same problem, and people like us with the same mobo too for future problems. An adittional advice is that I waw on other site that the procedure of ‘‘copy a image bios to hd’’ option on setup bios cause problems on hd´s with raid array…shorting the true space of the hdds…losting datas on this array…so if anyone do this procedure…try this on a empty hd with ‘‘IDE SET’’ and NO raid set… anyway…so, besides the question of clear or not the cmos, I have 2 other question…what is device to be the first to boot on the original f12 bios ??? (I mean the default value after clear cmos) …and what is the defalut value of ''sata/raid/ahci mode on integrated perifarals bios setup?? could you help me with this 3 questions ?? one more time, thanks for listening!!!

It is good to know about working TRIM in RAID in this motherboard.
I own it, but due to lack of two SSD it is not necessary for me to flash it.
Anyway I just wanted to mention that there is F13d Beta BIOS for this board (I use this beta for over year). Very difficult to download now as Gigabyte did pull this beta down.
http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/jzb/p35cds3rf13d.exe

In past I wanted to upgrade the JMicron JMB36x RAID ROM (aka Gigabyte GBB363 SATA-II RAID Controller) but due to too high difficulty level I did give up.
Reason: I was unable to properly install drivers in Win XP for JMB when set to AHCI in BIOS.

JMB36x ROM is v1.06.59 in BIOS F12 and F13D
Intel ICH9R ROM is v7.5.0.1017 in BIOS F12 and is v8.9.1.1002 in F13d. (79.5kB in size)
I know that this Beta did solve some problems with SSDs (on ICH9R). There was a lot info about this on station-drivers site but now this site does not support that board anymore.

If I did understand everything correctly in this topic yesgray did try Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.9.1.1002 in F12 BIOS without success so the best working one was the 8.5.0.1030.
In F13d version v8.9.1.1002 is working fine so it is still possible to mod and test this version for TRIM in RAID. And the most important information is that in F13d this ROM is 79.5kB and the 64kB limiting factor is no longer valid.

Maybe it will be possible to test versions v10 and v11 in this beta bios.

Maybe this information will be useful for someone :slight_smile:

GA-P35C-DS3R_F13d_beta_BIOS.zip (634 KB)

@ triodak:

Thanks for your report, which may be useful for other Gigabyte P35C-DS3R mainboard users, who want to get TRIM in RAID0.
Since the Beta BIOS F13d contains the 80 KB sized Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.9.1.1002, it seems possible for me to get the 85 KB sized Intel RST RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008 into the BIOS and working.

I only used the cbrom155, not the 198.

You should have stopped when you saw the checksum error, that was a sign tat you had made something wrong… The update success message after that was just referring to the flashing procedure, which finished fine, unfortunately it seems you flashed it with a broken BIOS, so, I’m afraid you have killed your board… I guess your only hope would be trying the guides which refer to replacing the BIOS chip, but I don’t know if that would be worthy!..

@triodak
First let me thank you for your post!

You know, I think this is not exactly new for me… I think on that time I also tried that BIOS, but I guess that later I have simply re-flashed the F12, when I saw it was removed…

Yes, the F12 BIOS does not support Intel RAID OROMs bigger than 64kB, hence why I decided to go with the 8.5.0.1030, because it was the more recent with a 64kB size. Fortunately, Fernando was able to make the Trim mod on it, so, I ended up with a RAID0 SSD setup with working Trim!

That’s really great news! However, since I already have a working system, I don’t feel very enthusiastic with the idea of messing around with my BIOS once again… unless using one of the newer OROMs would bring any new features or extra performance… Fernando, what’s your take on that? Would it be worthy upgrading from the 8.5 to a more recent one?

If I were you I would try to get the TRIM modded 85KB sized Intel RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008 working with the Beta BIOS, because this way both RAID components (ROM and driver) would belong to the same Rapid Storage Technology (RST).
If this should work fine, I would even try to get the TRIM modded RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 inserted, because this comboi would be the best possible at all.

Thanks for your input. I guess that if I try I will first try with the 11.2.0.1527. However, one more question: Would it be fine to use my current RAID array, or to get the best performance I would need to re-create my RAID array and reinstall the OS from scratch? If the latter, then I guess I will not try it, because it would be too much trouble for maybe a not that significant benefit…

Usually a recreation of the RAID array is not necessary after an update of the Intel RAID ROM.
If you want to do it nevertheless, you can avoid a reinstallation of the OS from scratch. Just let the OS or Acronis TrueImage make a backup from the complete system drive image and restore it after having created the new RAID0 array.

Thank you for your reply, but recreating the array is out of question for now. I don’t trust that much on true image…

Now, going back to “business”… :wink:

Here is the content of the F13d BIOS:

******** P35CDS3R.F13 BIOS component ********

No. Item-Name Original-Size Compressed-Size Original-File-Name
================================================================================
20000h(128.00K) 15265h(84.60K) p35cds3r.BIN
1. XGROUP CODE 0EBE0h(58.97K) 0A4F1h(41.24K) awardext.rom
2. ACPI table 04D12h(19.27K) 01909h(6.26K) ACPITBL.BIN
3. EPA LOGO 0168Ch(5.64K) 0030Dh(0.76K) AwardBmp.bmp
4. GROUP ROM[18] 02E70h(11.61K) 02004h(8.00K) ggroup.bin
5. GROUP ROM[20] 00E20h(3.53K) 00B2Fh(2.80K) ffgroup.bin
6. YGROUP ROM 0C100h(48.25K) 06706h(25.76K) awardeyt.rom
7. GROUP ROM[ 0] 083C0h(32.94K) 02DBAh(11.43K) _EN_CODE.BIN
8. PCI ROM[A] 13E00h(79.50K) 0BF78h(47.87K) raid_or.bin
9. PCI ROM[B] 04000h(16.00K) 02B45h(10.82K) ICH8AHCI.BIN
10. PCI ROM[C] 07A00h(30.50K) 04479h(17.12K) JMB59.BIN
11. MINIT 0CBC0h(50.94K) 0CBECh(50.98K) MEMINIT.BIN
12. PCI ROM[D] 0C800h(50.00K) 079FDh(30.50K) rtegrom.lom
13. LOGO BitMap 4B30Ch(300.76K) 05CE3h(23.22K) ds3.bmp
14. LOGO1 ROM 00B64h(2.85K) 00520h(1.28K) dbios.bmp
15. GV3 022ADh(8.67K) 00BD6h(2.96K) PPMINIT.ROM
16. OEM0 CODE 028ABh(10.17K) 01E1Bh(7.53K) SBF.BIN
17. OEM2 CODE 01000h(4.00K) 00092h(0.14K) AFSC_HDR.ROM

Total compress code space = 66000h(408.00K)
Total compressed code size = 5D504h(373.25K)
Remain compress code space = 08AFCh(34.75K)

** Micro Code Information **
Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID
------------------+--------------------+--------------------+-------------------

My plan is to remove the ds3.bmp and move the rtegrom.lom to the space used by the raid_or.bin and create a dummy file for the remaining of the space, using the advanced method, like I had done before here with your help. This way I will get enough space for the 11.2.0.1527, which requires 67kB compressed.

What do you think? Would it be safer to move the rtegrom.lom, and have the PCI ROM[D] first and PCI ROM [A] at the end?

This question should be answered by a Forum member, who has own experience with this special sort of Award BIOS modding.

I mod this bios myself.
But please be careful because i have’t mod bios for a very long time.There may be some flaws.

P35CDS3R_mod.zip (649 KB)

I have a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R motherboard and I’ve just bought at SSD. From what I know it’s version 1.x so will this work or is it for 2.0 or 2.1 ? Also what are the benefits of this modified BIOS, does it add TRIM support ?

@ mforce2:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

What kind of versions do you mean? Is it the version of the SSD/BIOS/mainboard or of something else?

TRIM doesn’t need any BIOS module unless your are running your SSD in RAID mode (what I do not recommend for a single SSD).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I know it’s a late reply, but only today I saw it. I have motherboard version 1.x. Like Fernando said, you will need this mod only if you want to add TRIM support when using more than one SSD drive in a RAID0 array. If you are going to use only one SSD drive then there is no benefit of using this MOD, TRIM works fine only with a single SSD drive.

Hello guys!

Did you get any success with modding it ? My board is EP35-DS4, very similar and i would like it to have 11.2 OROM version to get >2TB support (original is 7.5). I tried the standard procedure but it didn’t work for my board (beep after reboot, which luckily let backup bios take over) and now I am searching for any gigabyte/award special ops. I would appreciate any hints.

Thanks!

@severian :

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and good luck!
I personally cannot help you.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Just figured it out with some luck :slight_smile: Check my post here [Guide] Enhanced BIOS Modding of Award BIOSes (3)