Western Digital 3D NAND M2 SSD SATA 500GB not detected in Bios and Disk Management

I am having a problem trying to install a brand new WD 3D M2 SSD to a Chuwi brand notebook.
The notebook only accepts M2 SSD Sata.
The Bios and Disk Management could not detect the drive.
I was not able to initialize this M2 SSD in Disk Management.
I am using windows 10 Home (ver 1809)

Under Device Manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller shows Standard SATA AHCI Controller (p1.jpg) with hardware ids:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_31E3&SUBSYS_72708086&REV_03
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_31E3&SUBSYS_72708086
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_31E3&CC_010601
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_31E3&CC_0106

The Storage Controllers have two controllers:
(1) Microsoft Storage Space Controller (p2.jpg) -
Root\Spaceport
(2) SD Storage Class Controller (p2a.jpg) -
SD\VID_88&OID_0003&PID_SLD64G&REV_1.2
SD\VID_88&OID_0003&PID_SLD64G

Photos 3,4 and 5 show the overview of my notebook.

Please advise which driver can I download to get this M2 SSD work. Thank you.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

p5.jpg

What is the full exact model of the SSD, maybe it’s not M.2, thus not compatible with the slot you installed it into. Many M.2 slots look the same, but may only accept certain types of devices (Some only LAN, some only PCIE SSD, some only SATA type SSD, etc) - https://www.atpinc.com/blog/what-is-m.2-M-B-BM-key-socket-3
Also, please post the specs and manual page for the system you are using, so someone can check to see what is actually compatible.

Looks like a 60 or 644GB drive is installed, partially filled with data, what does it look like in disk management? If you can see it, but can’t initialize it as you mentioned, it may be in an incorrect format for your current boot type (Legacy, or UEFI). If you do not care about the data on it, delete all partitions if you can.
If you can’t do it from windows, boot to Linux boot disk and do it from there, or download from free partition tool and see if one of those can do it (Like EaseUS partition manager). It could also be faulty, but I’d think wrong format to be compatible with your system before that, such as GPT, or whatever MAC/OSX format is these days.

Hi Lost_N_Bios,

My WD M2 SSD Sata (WDS500G2B0B) is the right drive for this notebook. See more details about this notebook from https://techtablets.com/2019/04/chuwi-la…st-impressions/

Another user had this unit working on his notebook. But mine did not work.

The notebook manufacturer placed Windows 10 in the 64GB eMMC. This is the primary drive,C. Windows 10 boots from the UEFI. As of the current practice, Windows 10 would create 4 partitions in that drive. They are for recovery, system, primary and MSR. It is not possible to delete the 4 partitions as Windows 10 uses them. However, I tried a clean installation formatting the entire 64GB eMMC but the new WD M2 SSD still cannot be detected.

Some extra information : There is no “Advanced mode” to enable AHCI mode inside the Aptio Bios(v 2.20.1270). The Secure Boot is disabled. There is currently no updated drivers or Bios from the manufacturer.

Any other solutions?

So this drive came with this notebook? OK, then good, the way you mentioned things it sounded like some new drive or something you were testing.

Show me image of disk management. I did not mention AHCI mode, so not sure what you mean with that. AHCI I assume is already enabled, but has nothing to do with any of this.

When you tried a clean install on the 64GB EMMC, I assume you mean windows installed there, once you got into windows, what did the other drive look like in disk management?

Please link me to your BIOS download, or dump your current BIOS - Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help (OR Do it from DOS using the DOS files in the flash programming tool folder, copy all files there to root of DOS Bootable USB)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Hi Lost_N_BIOS,

I am attaching the Disk Management photo(DiskMgt.jpg) and the Bios (MB_Bios.jpg)

I have generated a notebook.log just for reference.

According to HWInfo64, I think my Bios is Intel ME 4. Is this correct? See Ver.jpg

As per your instruction, I download "Intel ME 4 AMT + TPM Firmware v4.2.60.106"0 but I was NOT successful to generate the required bin file. Maybe I have made a mistake somewhere. See the ErrorMsg.txt.

I tried using DOS to boot but I had similar error message. Is there another way to extract the bin file?

As I am new to this, please bear with me.

Thank you for assistance.

diskMgt.jpg

MB_Bios.jpg

Ver.jpg

notebookLog.txt (104 KB)

ErrorMsg.txt (1.08 KB)

Seems more like TXE 4 [=>Tools]

@N.D - I need a link to your BIOS or a dump of your BIOS (not images of BIOS info). YOu can link me to the manufacturer driver download page for now if you want, but a dump is preferred once you can get it too.

Yes, you have TXE ME 4 FW Download the ME System Tools package at section C2 on that page that lfb6 linked above at post #6
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)

That must be ran from an administrator command prompt, nothing else, no regular prompt and no power shell (or run from DOS)

Please test your other drive in another system if you can, to verify it’s actually functional. Your disk management only shows a single 64GB drive (I know, this is your main issue )
The drive should show here if functional and connected properly, even if you can’t initialize or format it, it should still show up. Unless a port is disabled in the BIOS that it’s connected to, that’s why I want to check your BIOS among other things.

You were active on several places already, here you showed 3 pictures of your bios.

1, 2, 3
Could you give us a picture of the ‘Main’ page, too?

In addition could you give us a picture of the slot with SSD in it?

Your Lapbook Pro should be perfectly able to detect the SSD without problems or further adaptions. Three possibilities:
- The Lapbook Pro/ its M.2 slot is defective
- The SSD is defective (Does it work in another device?)
- The SSD isn’t properly seated in the slot (Did you try to re-seat it? Did you check for proper insertion?)

Hi Lost_N_BIOS,

I have extracted the Bios into a bin file. Please see the attached.

I hope it can solve my problem.

I do not have any other machine to test my newly bought M2 SSD. I am sure it alright.

The notebook manufacturer does not provide any drivers or bios for download. Their after-sales support is pathetic. That is way I am having problems fixing my issue.

Thank you.

biosreg.rar (4.25 MB)

Hi Ifb6,

My newly bought M2 SSD is slotted correctly. They are 100% connected to the correct pin and direction. Just like what was shown in the other forum. This is an unusual "installation" of a M2 SSD.

I seriously hope that the M2 SSD slot is not damaged. However, I do wish that a solution could be found from the Bios.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions.

MainBios.jpg

M2SSD.jpg

Thanks for the pictures!

Most (all?) SSDs I’ve seen are meant to be mounted with label/ chips ‘up’ but you checked certainly thoroughly.
Chuwi Lapbook SE for example (Pic), Chuwi Lapbook 12.3 (PIC)

Hi Lost_N_BIOS,

I have extracted the Bios bin file as shown on Post #9. Any interesting findings?

I am just anxious to knowing if there are any issues in the Bios.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

New SSD does not mean working functional SSD, faulty or DOA items happen all the time. Best if you can find some other system to test this in, and as mentioned above be 100% sure you are installing correctly, if not it may be fried already due to that. (I too, have never seen mounted backwards like you have)

Sorry, this BIOS is unusual format and I can’t open with necessary BIOS tools to see what I wanted, nor can I extract the proper BIOS Modules to see the entire BIOS settings like I wanted.
If you create a zip of all BIOS pages, showing all disk and boot related settings, that might help us see if you are missing some setting or something disabled that you need enabled.

If you know Linux, boot to a Live Linux CD too, and see if you can see the drive there or not

Hi Lost_N_BIOS,
It is indeed unfortunate that the BIOS has unusual format.
(Wondering if the bin file which was zipped using winrar caused problems. A copy of the bin file in 7-zip is attached)

The new M2 SSD is working with an external enclosure case.It can be initiated and formatted using Disk Management in Win 10.

As per your suggestion, I have booted into Linux Mint. I still could not detect the appropriate M2 SSD drive. See photos L1,L2 and L3.
I am also attaching the pages of my BIOS at your request.

Anyway, thank you for your great help.

pic.zip (377 KB)

biosreg.zip (4.4 MB)

No, Zip is not an issue, I know how to tear BIOS apart so zip/rar is no issue to me The problem here is unusual BIOS layout (internally), and only a partial BIOS (since you cannot send me dump - actually, see below!)
Thanks for the images, I will check this all out.

In Linux, are you now checking the drive in this external enclosure too? If not, please do that and see if you can then detect it in Linux or not too.

In whatever OS you can see the drive in, where you formatted with Win10, delete all partitions so it’s a RAW disk (Use some partition tool if Windows wont do this) - then try to use as secondary spare by itself (not in enclosure) in the main system again, see if you see it in disk management or not.

Or use diskpart from command prompt -
Diskpart
List disk
Select disk xx (Select the correct disk!!)
Clean
Exit

Then put back in other system and check again to see if you can see it in BIOS, or in windows install setup etc.

Please send me a BIOS region dump from your board, here’s how - go to this thread and in the section “C4” download the V4 TXE ME System Tools
Intel Trusted Execution Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)

BIOS Options I need to see are hidden from you, so images didn’t help, hopefully a dump of your BIOS will!
- Just realized you’ve already sent me a dump and that’s what’s not working properly now (Sorry, I was thinking I was looking at stock BIOS update file earlier)

I’m thinking maybe a port is disabled, or set to something incorrect, causing the port to not be currently compatible with your drive.
We can change that, if I can parse the BIOS into some tools properly.

Hi Lost_N_BIOS,

Yes, my M2 SSD can only be detected in Linux when using external enclosure. Not when placed in the M2 slot.

>>>In whatever OS you can see the drive in, where you formatted with Win10, delete all partitions so it’s a RAW disk (Use some >>>partition tool if Windows wont do this) - then try to use as secondary spare by itself (not in enclosure) in the main system >>>again, see if you see it in disk management or not.

Previously, I have done what you had mentioned, it did not work at all.
Back then, I even tried using Macrium, EaseUS Partition,and Minitool Partition Wizard to detect the formatted M2 SSD (when placed in the M2 slot) as a secondary spare but all failed to detect it. Cannot be detected in Disk Management at all. Only with the external enclosure case, all the software recognise it.

I have even gone to the extent of using the exact diskpart command the last time to clean the eMMC,the main harddisk. After that step, the BIOS did not detect the M2 SSD. During the installation of Win 10, the formated M2 SSD could not be detected.

I am still sensing that the BIOS has something disabled but I may be wrong. Maybe the slot for M2 SSD is faulty too.

Thank you for your assistance so far.

Sounds like this M2 slot is disabled in BIOS, or only configured for certain things in BIOS (Slots can be set for only certain devices, that’s what I hoped to check but can’t), or you are inserting incorrectly (or it’s not compatible for some reason)

Please email the company that makes this, and ask them for a copy of the latest BIOS (preferably a bin file, tell them you need to recover from bad flash and have a programmer)
If they say no, ask them for latest BIOS update copy then

I will keep stabbing BIOS on my end and see if I can coax out what I wanted to see originally!

* Edit - please dump BIOS with this, lets see if BIOS is same as FPT dump (backwards layout, upside down and bottom two volumes broken << That’s what contains what I need, of course)
This may setoff virus warning, it’s false positive due to access BIOS FW coding, so disable virus program while you download and use. You cannot move it’s window, open, click read, then once it’s done click save, and send me the file
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details…up_toolkit.html

Hello Lost_N_BIOS,
The software that you recommended from majorgeeks did not work.
I tried contacting the manufacturer and they have not answered my emails.
However, I was lucky when I tried the tool, AFUWINx64 from AMI. I think I was able to extract the BIOS file.
Could you help to unlock this BIOS, please?
Thank you for your wonderful assistance.

BIOS.zip (4.4 MB)

What did the BIOS Toolkit tell you as error? AFU dump will be same as FPT dump, I assume, checking - yes, same, this must be normal and is how this BIOS is poorly built
I know the module it’s in, but can’t parse and then extract it properly. Aha, got it, somewhat (one way, but not the way I wanted)! So, this means I can change settings for you, but I can’t unlock BIOS due to I cannot extract the necessary modules to do that properly.
All settings are set to UEFI mode right now, so only work on getting that method to work (ie GPT partition on USB and main drive) CSM is disabled on BIOS defaults/optimal and enabled on Fail safe

Can you see this setting SCC UFS Support (D29:F0), never mind, I see you can’t even see chipset tab. I think enabling that will speed up performance on your main drive/eMMC and may allow this other to be detected too, unsure (Test BIOS below)
Flash via >> FPTw.exe -bios -f SCCUFSEditRegion.bin

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…622069337080736

@lfb6 - I see this, and have never seen before, do you think it’s causing this issue? *** Please note @N.D - I did not adjust this setting in BIOS above
HDD Connection Order >> Set to “Adjust” >> Help String (AMIBCP 5.02.0023 or 0031 you can check with the full BIOS file above) = Some OS require HDD handles to be adjusted, i.e. OS is installed on drive 80h. - Options are adjust/keep
This is at Advanced >> CSM

Hi Lost_N_BIOS
Thank you for your new BIOS.
The flashing of your BIOS under administrator command prompt was ok. After flashing the new BIOS, it showed a successful message.
But after the restart, the screen turns black. Now I cannot log into Windows.
I tried using a bootable USB but nothing appears on the screen.
Any advices?
Thanks