Which are the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

@ all users with an Intel AHCI or RAID system

Preliminary note:
Since Intel is offering a big variety of different Intel AHCI and RAID driver versions, which belong to different development branches (MSM, RST, RSTe), it is not easy for the users to find the "best suitable" one out of them.
This thread may help you to "find the needle in the haysack".

Which are the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

Since there is no Intel AHCI/RAID driver available, which is suitable or may be even perfect for all different Intel SATA Controllers, Operating Systems and driver installation/integration procedures, I am offering a variety of Intel AHCI/RAID drivers, which belong to different development branches (MSM, RST and RSTe).

To make the selection of the appropriate driver for your special system easier for you, I have tried to list the advantages/disadvantages of the different Intel AHCI/RAID drivers development branches:

1. Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager (MSM) drivers
    (first Intel AHCI/RAID driver series, outdated since several years)
    • Advantages:
      • best chances for a successful integration into Windows XP, if the user doesn’t know the exact Intel SATA AHCI/RAID Controller specification of his system
      • no problems by using any Virtualisation Software instead of doing a clean install of the OS
    • Disadvantages:
      • suboptimal performance, especially with actual hardware components
      • no TRIM support (only relevant for SSD users)
      • outdated driver model line, no support of the newest Intel Chipsets
  2. "conventional" Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers
    (using just 1 driver named iaStor.sys)
    • Advantages:
      • very good WRITE performance, especially on RAID0 systems with enabled Write-Back Caching
      • TRIM support (only relevant for SSD users)
      • evoke a very stable storage function and usage
    • Disadvantages:
      • further development has been stopped by Intel
      • some features of the newest Intel chipsets are not supported, may not even work with 8- and 9-Series Chipsets
      • increased chance of a driver integration failure (more sensitive to any mistake/unsure handling than the MSM drivers)
  3. actual Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (enhanced RST) drivers
    (using an additional SCSI Filter driver, should better be named RST(e) drivers)
    • Advantages:
      • do support all new features of the actual Intel chipsets
      • TRIM support (only relevant for SSD users)
      • continuous further development by Intel
    • Disadvantages:
      • limited support of older chipsets
      • RAID0 usage with older chipsets: much less performant than the latest RST drivers

General personal statements:
  1. The newest drivers are not always the best. Even if they should be the best for some systems, this is not automaticly valid for all hardware configurations.
  2. Users with an older Intel chipset should always keep in mind, that the chipset manufacturer Intel only develops drivers for the newest and for the upcoming chipsets and not for the older ones. Although many of the new drivers are backwards compatible with older AHCI and RAID Controllers, they are not or may not be optimized for them. A successful installation of a new Intel RAID driver onto an old Intel platform RAID system does not automaticly mean, that it will flawlessly work.
  3. The choice of the "best" (=fastest) Intel AHCI/RAID driver is more difficult for RAID than for AHCI users.
    According to my experience there are no big differences regarding the performance of the various Intel AHCI/RAID driver versions, if they are used in AHCI mode, wheras the differences are remarkable for RAID systems (for details look >here<).
  4. The stability of a system is at least as important as the performance. Especially users, who have installed the OS onto a single or RAIDed SSD, will realize stability issues, but not minimal performance differences, which are shown only by benchmark tests.

My favorite Intel AHCI/RAID drivers
for Intel systems from ICH7R/M up

(last updated: 09/09/2021)

Recommended for all Intel Chipset AHCI/RAID systems (except X79/X99/X299 Chipsets running in RSTe mode):

1. Intel RST drivers v11.2.0.1006 WHQL dated 05/30/2012
    These latest "classical" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers do support all Windows Operating Systems from W2k/XP up to Win10 and are recommended for the following systems:
    • AHCI mode: Good choice for all Intel AHCI systems from ICH7 up to 5-Series Chipsets
    • RAID mode: Probably best choice for all Intel RAID systems from ICH7R up to 7-Series Chipsets (look >here<)
      Best matching Intel RAID ROM: v11.2.0.1527 (no Intel EFI RaidDriver available)

Download links: Look >here<.

Comments:
    • These are the latest "classical" Intel RST AHCI/RAID drivers, which are managing the Intel SATA AHCI/RAID Controller with just 1 single driver named iaStor.sys.
    • "TRIM in RAID0" is supported (Precondition: An actual Intel RAID ROM or EFI RAID "SataDriver" from v11 up is present within the BIOS).
    • Advantages:
      a) They are running absolutely stable and will give the users AHCI/RAID system a very good performance (especially if being used with an SSD RAID0 configuration).
      b) They are usable with all Windows Operating Systems from XP (32/64bit) up.
    • Disadvantages:
      a) Not all features of the newest Intel chipsets are supported.
      b) A matching EFI RAID BIOS module is not available (only valid for RAID users).

3. Intel RST(e) drivers v12.9.4.1000 WHQL dated 04/24/2014
    Recommended for all Intel 5-Series, 6-Series and Mobile 7-Series Chipset systems, usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 (32/64bit) up.
    Best matching Intel RAID ROM resp. EFI "RaidDriver" BIOS modules: v12.9.0.2006

Comments:
    • These are the latest Intel AHCI/RAID drivers, which were optimized for 5-7 Series Chipsets.
    • Contrary to the "classical" Intel RST drivers the RST(e) drivers have an additional SCSI filter driver named iaStorF.sys.
    • "TRIM in RAID0" is supported (Precondition: An actual Intel RAID ROM or EFI RAID "SataDriver" from v11 up is present within the BIOS).

5. Intel RST(e) drivers v13.1.0.1058 WHQL dated 05/28/2014
    Recommended for Intel 7-Series Chipset Desktop systems and for X79/X99 Chipset systems, usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 (32/64bit) up.
    Best matching Intel RAID ROM resp. EFI "RaidDriver" BIOS modules: v13.1.0.2126

Comments:
    • These are the latest Intel AHCI/RAID drivers, which natively do fully support 7-Series. Additionally these drivers do support C600/C600+ Series Chipsets (only in AHCI mode unless having set the BIOS to "RST" mode).
    • Like the later released v13.2.4.1000 ones these Intel RST(e) drivers v13.1.0.1058 are well developed and have a quite similar performance and stability.
    • Contrary to the "classical" Intel RST drivers the RST(e) drivers have an additional SCSI filter driver named iaStorF.sys.
    • "TRIM in RAID0" is supported (Precondition: An actual Intel RAID ROM or EFI "RaidDriver" from v11 up is present within the BIOS).

7. Intel RST(e) drivers v13.2.8.1002 WHQL dated 07/09/2015
    Recommended for Intel 8-, 9- and 100-Series Chipset systems, usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 (32/64bit) up.
    Best matching Intel RAID ROM resp. EFI "RaidDriver" BIOS modules: v13.2.2.2224 (RAID OROM) resp. 13.2.0.2134 (EFI RaidDriver)

Comments:
    • According to my experience these drivers are a very good choice for users with an Intel 8-, 9- and 100-Series Chipset system (for details look >here<).
    • These Intel RST(e) drivers are well developed and will give the Intel 8-/9-Series Chipset systems a good performance and stability.
    • "TRIM in RAID0" is supported (Precondition: An actual Intel RAID ROM or EFI "RaidDriver" from v11 up is present within the BIOS).

9. Intel RST(e) drivers v14.8.18.1066 WHQL dated 09/06/2017
    Recommended for Intel X99 systems, usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 (32/64bit) up.
    Best matching Intel RAID ROM resp. EFI "RaidDriver" BIOS modules: v14.8.2.2397

Comments:
    • These currently latest Intel RST(e) drivers from the v14 platform are already well developed (contrary to the first v14 series drivers). They give modern Intel Chipset systems a good performance and stability.

11. For Intel RAID users: Intel RST(e) drivers v15.5.2.1054 WHQL dated 04/24/2017
    According to my benchmark tests (look >here<) these drivers are the best choice for Intel 100-/200-Series Chipset systems running Win10 on a RAID0 array. They are usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 (32/64bit) up.
    Warning for RAID5 array users: According to our Forum member rajkosto Intel RST RAID drivers from v15.5 series up are not recommended for RAID5 arrays. For details and alternative Intel RAID drivers for RAID5 arrays look >here<.
    Best matching Intel RAID ROM/EFI "RaidDriver": v15.5.1.3017

Comments:
    • These Intel RST(e) drivers from the v15.5 series are well developed (contrary to the first v15 platform drivers). They gave my 100-Series Intel Chipset system an extremely good RAID0 performance and stability.

13. Intel RST(e) drivers v15.9.8.1050 WHQL dated 07/31/2019
    Recommended for Intel 100-/200-Series Chipset systems running in AHCI mode, usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 (32/64bit) up.
    Best matching Intel RAID ROM resp. EFI "RaidDriver" BIOS modules: v15.9.3.3408

Comments:
    • These are the latest RST(e) drivers and well developed (contrary to the first v15 platform drivers).

15. Intel RST drivers v17.11.3.10 WHQL dated 11/25/2022
    Recommended for modern Intel Chipset systems from 300-/X299 Series up, only usable with Win10/11 x64.
    Best matching Intel RAID ROM resp. EFI "RaidDriver" BIOS modules: 17.8.4.4671

Comments:
    • These are currently the newest 64bit Intel RST drivers and optimized for being used with Win10/11 x64.
    • These 64bit drivers do support all currently available modern SSD features (e.g. Optane).
    • They do not contain an additional SCSI filter driver named iaStorF.sys and do not support older Windows Operating systems up to Win8.1.

Remark:
Regarding the usage of the modified drivers you should look into the start post of >this< thread.

Recommended for Intel 600/600+ Chipset series AHCI/RAID systems running in RSTe mode:

• Intel RSTe drivers v4.7.0.1098 WHQL dated 11/24/2017
    These are the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology "Enterprise Edition" (RSTe) drivers, which belong to the v4 platform. Supported are all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up. They are recommended for X79 Chipset systems running in "RSTe" mode.
    Best matching Intel RAID ROM resp. EFI "RaidDriver" BIOS modules: v4.7.0.1017
  • Intel RSTe drivers v5.5.4.1036 WHQL dated 04/09/2019
    These are the currently latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology "Enterprise Edition" (RSTe) drivers, which belong to the v5 platform. Supported are only 64bit Windows Operating Systems from Win8 up. They are recommended for X99 Chipset systems running in "RSTe" mode.
    Best matching Intel RAID ROM resp. EFI "RaidDriver" BIOS modules: v5.5.5.1005
  • Intel RSTe drivers v6.3.0.1022 WHQL dated 01/13/2020
    These are the currently latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology "Enterprise Edition" (RSTe) drivers, which belong to the v6 platform. Supported are only 64bit Windows Operating Systems from Win8 up. They are recommended for X299 Chipset systems running in "RSTe" mode.
    Best matching Intel RAID ROM resp. EFI "RaidDriver" BIOS modules: v6.3.0.1005
  • Intel RSTe RAID drivers v7.8.3.1006 WHQL dated 01/09/2023
    These are the currently latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology "Enterprise Edition" (RSTe) drivers, which belong to the v7 platform. Supported are only 64bit Windows Operating Systems from Win8 up. They are recommended for the latest "Enterprise Edition" Chipset systems running in "RAID" mode.
    Best matching Intel RAID ROM resp. EFI "RaidDriver" BIOS modules: v7.7.0.1054

• Download links: Look >here<.

Comments:
    • X99 users, who are running their Intel SATA ports in RST mode, should install the RST(e) drivers v14.8.18.1066.
    • TRIM is supported in AHCI and RAID mode (incl. RAID0).

To make is easier for you to find the Intel RST/RSTe driver, which I recommend for your special AHCI or RAID system, here is a table:
    Note: If you should find a better AHCI/RAID driver for your special Intel chipset, please let us know it!

Intel Chipset/Southbr.: Recommended Intel AHCI driver(s): Recommended Intel RAID driver(s):
    ICH7R/M, ICH8R/M and ICH9R/M RST v11.2.0.1006 RST v11.2.0.1006
    P45 and X58 Chipset/ICH10R RST(e) v11.7.4.1001 RST v11.2.0.1006 or RST(e) v11.7.4.1001
    5-Series Chipsets (e.g. P55) RST(e) v11.7.4.1001 or v12.9.4.1000 RST v11.2.0.1006 or RST(e) v12.9.4.1000
    6-Series Chipsets (e.g. P67+Z68) RST v11.2.0.1006 or RST(e) v13.2.8.1002 RST v11.2.0.1006 or v15.5.2.1054 (exc.RAID5)
    7-Series Desktop systems (e.g. Z77) RST(e) v13.1.0.1058 or v13.2.8.1002 RST v11.2.0.1006 or v15.5.2.1054 (exc.RAID5)
    7-Series Mobile systems (e.g. QM77) RST(e) v12.9.4.1000 or v13.2.8.1002 RST v11.2.0.1006 or RST(e) v13.1.0.1058
    8-/9-Series Chipsets (e.g. Z87/Z97) RST(e) v13.2.8.1002 Intel RST v11.2.0.1006 (if poss.) or RST(e) v13.2.8.1002
    100-/200-Series (e.g. Z170/Z270) Intel RST(e) v13.2.8.1002 or v14.8.18.1066 Intel RST(e) v15.5.2.1054 or RST v16.8.3.1003
    300-Series Chipsets (e.g. Z370) latest RST v16/17 platform drivers latest RST v16/17 platform drivers
    400/500-Series Chipsets (e.g. Z470) latest RST v18 platform drivers latest RST v18 platform drivers
    X79 Chipset RST(e) v13.1.0.1058 WHQL RST v11.2.0.1006 or RST(e) v13.1.0.1058
    X99 Chipset RST(e) v14.8.18.1066 resp. RSTe v5.5.4.1036 RST(e) v14.8.18.1066 resp. RSTe v5.5.4.1036
    X299 Chipset and up latest RST v17 resp. RSTe v6/v7 platform drivers) latest RST v17 resp. RSTe v6/v7 platform drivers

Have fun!
    Fernando

3 Likes

Since the Intel RST(e) drivers of the v12 branch primarily are designed for the Intel 8-Series Chipsets, I have added yesterday the very stable running Intel RST(e) drivers v11.7.4.1001 as a good alternative for users with an Intel 5/6/7-Series Chipset system.

Hey Fernando,

does it make sense to use older Intel oROMs for z77 Chipsest because 12.7 oROMs are optimized for Z87 Chipsets?
    What is your opinion on this matter? Which oROMs (and subsequently RST Drivers) for Z77 Chipsets do you recommend? Stability, performance?

My usage scenario is: HDD RAID and SSD standalone.

Thanks,
    Don

@ icedon:

Hello Don,
    welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

You are right, that the Intel has developed the RST(e) drivers and RAID OROMs v12 primarily for the 8-Series chipset systems, but both are running fine with Z77 systems too.
    On the other hand the Z77 RAID user 100PIER reported >here<, that he got the best performance with the combination RST v11.0.0.1339 OROM/RST(e) v12.7.0.122 drivers. This dshows, that it is possible to use the RAID OROM and the RAID drivers from different development branches.
    Nevertheless I recommend to use a RAID OROM version, which belongs to the same branch as the RAID drivers.
    Simple reason: Intel develops the RAID OROM and the RAID drivers together and optimizes the use of them this way.

Regards
    Fernando

Hey Fernando,
    What would you recommend for my set-up (non-raid) for best achi performance?
    Asrock Extreme4 bios 2.8 (official)
    raid rom is still 11.2.0.1527
    1 ssd windows 8 (8.1), files and programs
    1 ssd for files
    1 hdd for backup (file history and system image)

Thank you

@ kpo6969:
    Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I would recommend fĂĽr your Z77 AHCI system

• either to install the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 (best suitable with your current Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527)
    • or to update the Intel RAID ROM to v12.7.0.1936 and to install the Intel RST(e) drivers v12.7.0.1022.

The performance differences between both combos are not great in AHCI mode.
    If I were you, I would choose the actual v12.7 combo, because this way you have an AHCI system, which is prepared for the newest and the upcoming generation of Intel’s RST(e) drivers.

Regards
    Fernando

Thanks for the reply.
    Should I stick with just the driver or go with the whole RST set-up with the 12.7.0.1022?

I would just install the driver(s) from within the Device Manager.

Hey, Fernando. I appreciate your thread on this a lot. I have an asus sabertooth z77. so would you recommend all z77s to the 11.2.0.1006? I’m using that right now. Also if I have an asus sabertooth z77 do i have an intel ROM? How do i tell what version i have? And what version would be good for 11.2.0.1006?

thanks,
    gabe

hi :wink:
    you have installed the rapid storade matrix technologie (small hdd icon in your taskbar with a green checkmark) ? … if yes, check HELP there and click on SYSREPORT! :slight_smile:

@ gabecubano14:

Hello Gabe,

welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

No, for Z77 users the RST(e) drivers v12.7.x.xxxx are a very good option as well. These drivers are more actual and will be optimized further on by Intel. The v11.1/v11.2 branch development has been closed in July last year.

Yes!

1. Enter the BIOS and set the Intel SATA ports temporarily to "RAID" > Save and reboot.
      2. Hit CTRL+I while rebooting. Then you will see the Intel RAID ROM version of your BIOS.
      3. Enter the BIOS again and reset the Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI" > Save and reboot.

Please read the start post of this thread. There you will find the answer.

Regards
    Fernando

Note: This post has been updated at 07/30/2013 by adding the results with the Combo RST Driver v12.7.1.1000 WHQL + RST(e) RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936.

The last 3 days I have done a comparison of the following 3 Intel RAID drivers/OROM combinations:

1. Intel’s RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL dated 05/30/2012 (= last “classical” driver named iaStor.sys) with the recommended Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527
    2. Intel’s RST(e) driver v11.7.4.1001 WHQL dated 03/05/2013 (= last Intel RST(e) driver of the v11 Series) with the recommended Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702
    3. Intel’s newest RST(e) drivers v12.7.1.1000 WHQL dated 07/10/2013 and v12.8.0.1008 Beta dated 07/08/2013 with the recommended Intel RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936

This was my test system:
    • Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
    • Drives: 2x128 GB Crucial M4 SSDs as RAID0 (Stripe size: 128 KB)

To make the conditions for all 3 test combinations as similar as possible, I have done the following preparations for all 3 candidates:
    1. The first step was breaking the old RAID array and to do a secure erase of both Crucial M4 SSDs by using the bootable “Parted Magic” CD dated 02/28/2013.
    2. After having flashed the BIOS containing the desired Intel RAID ROM version, I created a new Intel RAID0 array by using the related Intel RAID ROM Utility.
    3. The next step was a clean install of Win8.1 x64 Preview onto the freshly created RAID0 array. I created a new partition for the OS with a size of 120 GB, the rest of the RAID0 array was left unformatted.
    4. Once the OS was up and automaticly customized after having entered my Microsoft account, I have done the following:
      • installation of .NET Framework v3.5 (needed for the later installation of the RST(e) Software),
      • installation of all available Windows Updates inclusive driver updates for the Intel HD4000 graphics adapter and the Intel Management Engine,
      • installation of the related Intel RST/RST(e) Drivers & Software Set by running the installer,
      • inactivation of the Windows automatic write cache clearing regarding the drive named “Intel-RAID0” from within the Device Manager (“Properties” > “Policies” > checked both options),
      • activation of the option “Write-Back Caching” from within the RST Console,
      • deinstallation of the “Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology” from within the System Control > “Add/remove Programs” option,
      • change of the “Energy Options” from “Balanced” to “High Performance”,
      • execution of the “WinSAT diskformal” command and running the “Optimizer” for drive C (where the OS was installed),
    5. After having done all that I ran the AS_SSD benchmark tool and stored the results.
    6. As last step I checked the TRIM activity within the RAID0 by using the TRIMCheck Tool v0.4 (waiting just 15 seconds before reexecuting the tool) without forcing the check by any additional TRIM trigger utility.

Here are the results:

1. Combination Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL + Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527

• Benchmark results:
        [[File:ASSD_Z77_2xCrucial-M4-RAID0_Win8.1-Preview_RST-v11.2.0.1006+ROM-v11.2.0.1527_27.07.2013.png|none|auto]]
      • 

• TRIM Check result (first try, unforced):

Unforced TRIMCheck result with Intel RST v11.2.0.1006 and ROM v11.2.0.1527.png

• 

• Combination Intel RST(e) driver v11.7.4.1001 WHQL + Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702

• Benchmark results:
          [[File:ASSD_Z77_2xCrucial-M4-RAID0_Win8.1-Preview_RST-v11.7.4.1001+ROM-v11.6.0.1702_28.07.2013.png|none|auto]]
        • 

Unforced TRIMCheck result with Intel RST v11.7.4.1001 and ROM v11.6.0.1702.png

• 

• Combination latest Intel RST(e) drivers v12.7/v12.8 + Intel RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936

• a) Intel RST(e) driver v12.7.1.1000 WHQL + ROM v12.7.0.1936

• Benchmark results:
              [[File:ASSD_Z77_2xCrucial-M4-RAID0_Win8.1-Preview_RST-v12.7.1.1000+ROM-v12.7.0.1936_30.07.2013.png|none|auto]]
            • 

Unforced TRIMCheck result with Intel RST v12.7.1.1000 and ROM v12.7.0.1936.png

• 

• b) Intel RST(e) driver v12.8.0.1008 Beta + ROM v12.7.0.1936

• Benchmark results:
                [[File:ASSD_Z77_2xCrucial-M4-RAID0_Win8.1-Preview_RST-v12.8.0.1008+ROM-v12.7.0.1936_28.07.2013.png|none|auto]]
              • 

Unforced TRIMCheck result with Intel RST v12.8.0.1008 and ROM v12.7.0.1936.png

My Conclusions:
              1. Performance:
                • The combination RST v11.2.0.1006/v11.2.0.1527 has the best Read Performance of my test candidates.
                • Regarding the Write Performance the winner is the combination RST(e) v11.7.4.1001/v11.6.0.1702.
                • The newest combinations RST(e) v12.7.1.1000/v12.7.0.1936 and RST(e) v12.8.0.1008/v12.7.0.1936 have the lowest Read Performance of all the candidates, the Write Performance were similar to the combo RST(e) v11.7.4.1001/v11.6.0.1702.
              2. TRIM activity:
                • TRIM was active within the RAID with all combinations, but it seems, that the v12 RAID Driver/OROM combinations induce a lower TRIM activity within the RAID0 array than the candidates of the RST/RST(e) v11 Series.
                  This result matches with the informations, that Intel has done some changes regarding the TRIM support, when they started the development of the RST(e) v12 Series.

Although these test results should not be overestimated, I hope, they may help other Intel RAID users to find the "best" suitable Intel RAID driver/OROM combination. Furthermore I expect, that the next official Intel RST(e) drivers v12.8.x.xxxx will show a better performance than the v12.7/v12.8 builds I have tested.

Regards
              Fernando

ASSD_Z77_2xCrucial-M4-RAID0_Win8.1-Preview_RST-v11.2.0.1006+ROM-v11.2.0.1527_27.07.2013.png

ASSD_Z77_2xCrucial-M4-RAID0_Win8.1-Preview_RST-v11.7.4.1001+ROM-v11.6.0.1702_28.07.2013.png

ASSD_Z77_2xCrucial-M4-RAID0_Win8.1-Preview_RST-v12.8.0.1008+ROM-v12.7.0.1936_28.07.2013.png

ASSD_Z77_2xCrucial-M4-RAID0_Win8.1-Preview_RST-v12.7.1.1000+ROM-v12.7.0.1936_30.07.2013.png

I would be interested in seeing that, would you give a link? Thanks.

You are probably aware of this but just in case, IIRC with the EFI drivers (11.+) there is a new ACPI entry, supposedly regarding performance, but I know very little about this except for it’s existence.

With the newer 8 series, which I do not have, there is the "Gears" ACPI to adjust C-States wrt disk I/O (Dynamic Storage Accelerator) which if it works well should provide better performance for those who like to maximize their power savings. If it works really well then I wonder if it could be incorporated into earlier series too.

EDIT: Oops… Seems using an empty title breaks things with the forum as well. I left the other untitled post "RE: Boot Off Optical Drive Problem with Intel OROM 12.7.0.1936" as is FYI.

Added title "Benchmark comparison of my favorite Intel RAID driver/OROM combinations" back to this thread.

EDIT: Oh no, that should be "RE: Benchmark comparison of my favorite Intel RAID driver/OROM combinations"

I would be interested in seeing that, would you give a link?

I am sorry, but I do not remember the source where I have read about that. It was a very vague statement anyway or maybe even just affected Intel’s 8-Series Chipsets.

Anyway Intel obviously has changed some hex codes within the "TRIM in RAID0 Section" of the Intel RAID ROMs v12.x.x.xxxx.
              Here are the TRIM in RAID hex codes of the Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702:

Trim in RAID0 section - Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702.png

And here is the TRIM in RAID section of the Intel RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936:

Trim in RAID0 section - Intel RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936.png

As you can see, Intel has not only added some new "Alternate DeviceIDs" of the upcoming 8-(and 9-?)Series Chipsets, but changed some flags as well. The X79 chipset systems now have the flag "17" instead of "07".

Since my published Benchmark results with the newest Intel RST(e) drivers v12.8.0.1008 Beta using the RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936 were apparently inferior to the results I got with the older RAID driver/OROM combinations of the RST/RST(e) v11 Series, I decided to add a similar test by using the Intel RST(e) drivers v12.7.0.1036 WHQL.
              Meanwhile I got the results and added them to >this< post.

Today (07/30/2013) I got access to the Intel RST(e) drivers v12.7.1.1000 WHQL, the successors of the previously published v12.7.0.1036 WHQL.
              So I was able to do an additional benchmark and TRIM test with this brandnew driver/OROM combo v12.7.1.1000/v12.7.0.1936.
              Meanwhile I have added the results into >this< post.

Any comments are much appreciated!

Regards
              Fernando

Salut Fernando,

Thank you very much for this forum and all the great work, exclusivity and benchmarking you are doing. That’s just awesome !

I was wondering though if you have some or can point me a place where there is benchmark for AHCI efi satadriver/driver performance?
              From what I understand, and I may be wrong, but it seams to be the 11.7.4.1001 driver /11.4 efi driver that’s seems to be the best.
              If there is no such benchmark I can do some I guess but would they be SSD dependant you think? (or hdd for that matter but I a lesser extend I guess)

Merci beaucoup encore!

Hello Teddybehr,

the presentation of an actual benchmark comparison between different Intel AHCI driver versions is much appreciated, because my personal results (look >here<) are not very actual anymore.
              Benchmark results are always dependend on the individual system (sort of SATA Controller, AHCI/RAID driver, HDD/SSD, BIOS, settings etc.). Nevertheless a comparison of different drivers with exactly the same system configuration can be a big help for other users to decide, which driver they should install.
              By the way: According to my knowledge the installation of an OS in EFI mode shortens the boot time, but will not have a great impact on the performance while working.

Regards
              Fernando

Hi Fernando,

I have completed some AHCI benchmark.
              You will find data and snapshot of CrystalDisk bench results.
              I haven’t done any over all graphic yet though. Please let me know which graph you want and the format (bar, lines,…)

Fell free to delete this post (until I put on the graphics)

Regards,

Stef

Hi Fernando,
              I am sorry. I forgot to mention that I am in dual boot (Win 8 pro x64, Win 7 Ultimate x64) both installed in UEFI.

Win 8 is on a SSD (C:)
              Win 7 in on a HDD (D:) (fastest of the 3 Hitachi HDD)

1 HDD Hitachi 1000GB
              2 HDD Hitachi 500GB (slower)

I did different transfer scenario.

From Win 8 (thus on SSD):
              - SSD to SSD (same, thus traffic was on the same port)
              - SSD to HDD (fastest Hitachi)
              - SSD to HDD (slower Hitachi)

From Win 7 (thus on the fastest HDD)
              - HDD (fastest) to SSD
              - HDD (fastest) to HDD (same, thus traffic was on the same port)
              - HDD (fastest Hitachi) to HDD (slower Hitachi)

I think I covered almost all port to port and buffered transfer type I guess. Well I hope so :confused:
              All antivirus and un-needed software were disable (prevent from starting)

BIOS storage mode set as “UEFI only” thus using the EFI Satadriver. I modded the Intel orom rst in CSM module also though. Both, satadriver and orom have the same version per BIOS modded just to be sure.
              I used the same driver version as the efi satadriver AND
              sometimes, in addition, I used a previous driver version with a higher efi satadriver version.
              With that said, I hope you will better understand the labelling of tests.

Sorry again,

Teddy