[REQUEST] Updated Dell XPS-8700 BIOS

Hi, I am a NOOB.

I want to update the BIOS in my Dell XPS-8700 but I dont have the technical skills to do it myself (even after reading all about the UBU tools etc!).
My objective is to have all aspects of the BIOS updated to the latest versions available including the RealTek PCIe GBE controller and the Intel RAID controller (am using in AHCI mode but still want the firmware updating).

Would anyone be willing to create me an updated BIOS with instruction on how to flash the ROM from Windows?
I have attached a detailed specification of my PC and also my current BIOS file.

EDIT by Fernando: Thread title specified

BIOS.zip (2.15 MB)

Specification.pdf (85.3 KB)

Do you use Wake on LAN, or Boot on LAN? If not, then no need to update Realtek PXE rom. Same for RAID, if you do not use RAID, no need to update that either.

What BIOS version are you using? Please link me to the download page at Dell, thanks.

Flashing BIOS is the main issue here, lets see what you can do with FPT first, since that is what I prefer with Intel CPU systems

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64
Then on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder.
Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin
If you do get error, show me image of the command entered and the error given
^^ This is important step, don’t forget ^^

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Or here is simply registry edit that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu
Double-click to install, reboot after install may be required
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…134606820377175

Even though I dont currently use either “Wake on LAN” or “RAID” functions I would still like to update the relevant ROMs because I may want to use these in the future.

Attached BIOS file and error recieved.

Am using Dell provided BIOS A14 from (https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/…ps-8700/drivers)

(and most importantly, thank you very much for your help :slight_smile: )

biosreg.zip (2.15 MB)

Error.txt (1.3 KB)

You’re welcome! So no error with FPT flashing back, great, easy for you then!
OK, I will update LAN & RAID for you anyway even though you do not use it, but you must decide what you want it updated to and let me know the versions etc.
I will also update CPU microcodes & ME FW for you

Current RAID - you must read the threads linked below, and decide what you want - Ideally matching versions, but it’s not a requirement.
EFI IRST RAID for SATA - 12.6.0.1867
OOM IRST RAID for SATA - 12.6.0.1867

Intel EFI “RaidDriver” BIOS Modules
AHCI & RAID ROM Modules

These, I will just update to latest
EFI Realtek UNDI - 2.018
OROM Realtek Boot Agent GE - 2.56

Latest
EFI Realtek UNDI - 2.049
OROM Realtek Boot Agent GE - 2.66

2.050 & 2.67 would be the latest right? That’s what UBU v1.76.1.1 says anyway.

OK, assuming I am understanding correctly, and assuming I am using the Intel 8 Series:-
Intel RST(e) EFI "RaidDriver" v13.5.0.2164
Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v13.5.0.2164

Basically, I am looking to update whatever exists in the current BIOS (A14) to the latest appropriate versions, regardless whether it is used or not (for all modules including RAID, ACHI, LAN, CPU etc etc) to get maximum performance and most up to date available.

Will I need to update Windows Drivers along with the new BIOS?

Have I understood correctly (I am completely out of my depth!)?

Hi All

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year break!

How do i identify all the components of my existing BIOS and the specific version of each please?

@MrGenius - Yes, thanks. I just dropped BIOS into older UBU to check current mainly for that above info, I would have grabbed latest in the appropriate threads once I go to do the mod (I do it all manually)

@CarlB - Sorry for delay, I’m always buried here Hope you have good time celbrating the holidays as well, and I wish you all the best in 2020 too!

Check n CPU-z motherboard tab, what is your chipset? So we are not “assuming” what series chipset you are using.
Updating things you never used does not increase performance, and using the latest of anything also does not always = better performance. Things to keep in mind here

Yes, if you change RAID ROM, and are using RAID, then you should update RAID drivers to whatever series the RAID driver thread says is best for the RAID rom version you choose.

To see what all is in your BIOS now and what versions everything is, you can use UBU tool - [Tool Guide+News] “UEFI BIOS Updater” (UBU)

Hi

HWINFO64 reports motherboard as DELL 0KWVT8 and chipset as Intel Z87 (Lynx Point) as per attached screenshot.

2020-01-10 (7).png

After a failed attempt to modify my HP Z400 Bios as it seems it’s impossible I switched to a Dell XPS 8700 with locked Bios but it seems this can be unlocked! Can anyone help me? Also I didn’t start a new thread because I found this old one! Thanks! I need BCLK and most OC features available!

BIOS Link to the newest: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/…?driverid=6f29d

I’ve also attached Universal Bios Backup ROM

DellInc.-A14.zip (2.13 MB)

Also got a dump via Intel tools! Here you go @Lost_N_BIOS There were no errors but it said this (PDR Region does not exist.GBE Region does not exist)

biosreg.zip (2.13 MB)

Zitat von Gast im Beitrag #11
Also got a dump via Intel tools! Here you go @Lost_N_BIOS There were no errors but it said this (PDR Region does not exist.GBE Region does not exist)

I was not signed in! Sorry!

Updated Modded Bios Link from Bios Mods Site: http://katfile.com/wcbng7z8z3uz/xps8700_1.rar.html

@magicman - So, after reading your comments over at BIOS-mods, seems you do not have a flash programmer, correct?
If not, look over the entire board closely, see if you can find a 2pin header labelled FD/ME/Service etc. It may be hidden, so look good, check above/below memory thumb tabs too, sometimes hides there and people overlook.

If your ME is currently healthy, working and not corrupted/failed to start etc then we can probably fix it via ME FW Update tool. Since you can use FPT, then ME FW is probably healthy.
See if you can dump ME FW via FPT, and if yes, send to me >> FPTw.exe -me -d me.bin

Got this error here Error 26: The host CPU does not have read access to the target flash area. To enable read access for this operation you must modify the descriptor settings to give host access to this region.

That figures, usually write is blocked, but sometimes read is too It’s OK, I can use what’s in the A14 exe BIOS, update it and fix, then maybe/hopefully you can update it with ME FW update tool
Please wait a sec

@magicman - what you wrote about fixing via ME FW, that info is either incorrect for this BIOS/ME, or was written before these BIOS were on ME FW V9 (none of the details apply to this ME FW) = No Clock Source Select in registers for either profile, unless it’s PLLRCS and this is not value desired (0x0013114)
Please wait, I will find the ME FW Bringup guide for this version and see if I can fix for you myself and then I will give info here for the next guy.
Right now, can you select ICC Profile 1 instead of 0? 0 = standard and 1 = OC (this is in there by default).

We could try removing standard and leaving only OC, before anything else, testing that as-is, but in case it fails you’d really need a flash programmer because you can’t fix it without that if it messes up ME FW

Not able to! No option I see! ICC settings are ICC Lock Registers, PCI Stuff, and Watchdog Timer

I found a two prong service port as well on my board

Heres Images I took of the current state of the BIOS with ICC!

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

Please check with AIDA64, HWINFO64, or CPU-z motherboard tab, what is the chipset on this system.

Please see my edit above in #16 in case you missed anything. I’m not sure what you are saying “you not able to” in above reply? But, sounds like the BIOS you are using is not been fully unlocked yet, so this could be part of the issue too.
Nice you have service pins!! Now we know we can fix ME FW if it breaks Please wait, I am looking into all this

What do you mean previously with ICC?? Does it not look like that now??

Motherboard Chipset:Intel Z87 (Lynx Point)
That is the current state of the BIOS Now I was referring to using the images previously in another thread (My Bad)

OK, thanks. Before we do anything ME FW related (I still need to look in guide first anyway), here is new BIOS edit built on Genius239 edit you linked, this should now have a few more options available and selectable in the ICC section,
Please show me image of ICC area now after you flash BIOS, load optimal defaults, then reboot back to BIOS
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…298739436576047