AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

Need some help. Couldn’t get the TRIM on RAID-0 working…

I patched the ROM with v11.2.0.1527 as suggested and flashed into ROM (the patched rom is attached) . I did twice and mad sure it is actually flashed because after the restart I have to reenter the BIOS settings.
Installed the Intel Rapid RAID driver and verified in the device manger that the driver version is 11.7.0.1013.
The trimcheck-0.7 does not verify, says "TRIM appears to be NOT WORKING (or has not kicked in yet)."

What else am I missing? how to further troubleshoot?

v11201527_mod_raid0trim_rampageiii-formula-asus-0903.rar (933 KB)

update: I switched to the v10.5.1.1070 and now it works!
When doing the trimcheck this time I rebooted and checked again. after reboot it just start working after waiting 20 seconds.
btw, The Optional ROM version shows up during BIOS boot. I didn’t notice that earlier. This tells you what exact OROM version is effective.

raid-0-speed.png

What was the reason for the installation of an Intel RST(e) driver like v11.7.0.1013? This is neither a very good RAID driver nor does it match the Intel RAID ROM development branch. Furthermore you may run into a problem, if you should ever try to "downgrade" to a "classical" RST RAID driver like the v11.2.0.1006 (look >here<).
Haven’t you read the start post of >this< thread?

It is fine, that you succeeded at least, but it should have worked with the Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 as well.

I didn’t know that thread thanks for pointing me to it.
The reason I used IRST v11.7.0.1013 is because I started with the OROM v11.2.0.1527 with TRIM on RAID0. Thought that will be the best match because they belong to the same development branch ?

I’ll give the v11.2.0.1527 a try again. If that succeed, what’s the best match IRST driver do you recommend for matching with this ROM version? thanks,

I didn’t know that thread thanks for pointing me to it.
The reason I used IRST v11.7.0.1013 is because I started with the OROM v11.2.0.1527 with TRIM on RAID0. Thought that will be the best match because they belong to the same development branch ?
I’ll give the v11.2.0.1527 a try again. If that succeed, what’s the best match IRST driver do you recommend for matching with this ROM version? thanks,

From the very start of your trials, you should have read >this<
I quote below the relevant parts :

and

OROM v11.2.0.1527 + Intel RST v11.2.0.1006 combination works in my system now!

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the insertion of the OROM v11.2.0.1527.
I got a new RAID0 Intel 520 SSD RAID for Windows and want to get the best performance. (OROM v11.2.0.1527 + Intel RST v11.2.0.1006)…
I can live without clean efi-boot (csm enabled)… performance is more important :slight_smile:

I already installed 13.1 with the very nice UBU-Tool but it doesn’t have a option for 11.2 :frowning:

How do i insert the OROM 11.2 into the BIOS file? :(((

System:
Sabertooth Z77 (Original: OROM 11.0; EFI 11.5 → Updated to 13.1)
I7 3370K

Thank you! :slight_smile:

@ pfinchen:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Offtopic: Is it possible, that we met already at win-lite.de?

You can either do it manually by using >this< guide or automaticly by using the UBU tool again.
The trick: Choose to get the TRIM modded v11.2.0.1527 inserted. Your Z77 Chipset doesn’t need the TRIM modification, but it has no impact on the functionality and performance of your system.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Jeah, regarding the nforce raid controllers :smiley:

I don’t get it :confused:
How do i insert the 11.2 OROM to UBU tool :frowning:

It is already in there (UBU\modules\IRST\TRIM6\11_2).

Thank you so much !! :smiley:

So…i can just leave efi raid driver at 13.1 and update the orom from 11.0 to 11.2 without effecting my OS on EFI-Boot? :slight_smile:

and OROM v11.2.0.1527 + Intel RST v11.2.0.1006 is still the fastest raid0 ssd setup, right? :slight_smile:

The OS, which has been installed in UEFI mode (using the GUID Partition Table), will not be affected at all, but as soon as you will disable CSM within the BIOS, the Intel EFI RaidDriver v13.1 will be used instead of the v11.2 RAID ROM.

According to my experience: Yes!

Thank you!

I just did a fresh Win8.1 x64 installation on my system…
Updated the standard 12.1 RAID Drivers to 11.2.

After that i tried to open the RST-Software (to do the cache changes etc)… but the software ‘is waiting for the services’ and will not start… :frowning:

The RST Software requires .NET Framework 3.5.
So you should install this Win8.1 "feature" from within the Control Panel’s "Add/Remove Software" option.
If the RST Software should not start after having installed the .NET Framework 3.5, I recommend to reinstall the RST Software on top of the previously installed application.

it works !! Thank you so much :slight_smile:

one thing makes me suspicious: write-back-cache was alredy activated?! At revision 12.x and 13.x the default value is disabled

You are welcome! Thanks for your feedback.

The Write Caching settings you have done at any time will stay until you
a) change them,
b) break your RAID or
c) secure erase/low level format the members of the RAID array.
That means, that the Write-Back-Caching will be still enabled after having completely uninstalled the Intel RST Software.

Oh okay :slight_smile:

Thanks for the information

just benched my raid0 setup (2x intel 520 256GB)

do you think it’s okay for a system raid0 with win 8.1?

as-ssd-bench RAID0 26.01.2015 18-23-59.png

Yes, the scores are good for the Intel SSDs (they are not the fastest, but very solid).

Is there a way to enable the Caching option without installing the RST software? Like a simple REG edit or something?

I don’t know any other method, but the RST Software needs only to be installed once and can be uninstalled, when the Write-Back-Caching settings are done.