AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

Well I did it by hand as I like to understand how things work.

Next I’ll study your utility.

Thanks

Can someone please give me a hand with upgrading module 4392 on an Asus M3A78-EM?

The default module in BIOS 2701 is 3.0.1540.34. I’ve tried all three versions offered, without success. I’ve also tried shrinking them to 52KB which matches the size of the original module by removing some of the padding, but the result is always the same: The ROM never loads on boot, and the HDDs are never detected.

The newest AHCI module works fine though.

The link to the latest BIOS:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock…M-ASUS-2701.zip

I’ve already updated the microcodes and other modules (exept for VGA and Atombios – can’t find anything for those… Also, does anyone know about updating AGESA on this? All info I’ve read indicates not do do it)

Thanks

It is not enough to replace the AMD RAID Option ROM. Additionally you have to replace the matchng module named “MISC.BIN”.
You can find the latter within the original BIOS at this location:

MISC.BIN location.png

The text code of the MISC.BIN module begins with “MISC.SIG”. Look here:

Good luck!

Thanks! I was able to update it to 3.2.1540.15.
I read the MISC.BIN part of the post, but mistakenly assumed it would show up as MISC.BIN in MMTool and thought I didn’t need it since it wasn’t there.

gigabyte gaming 7 z370 has OROM IRST RAID for SATA - 16.0.2.3402 in the bios file don’t know if anyone has the new one yet.

For those having trouble when using any of the raid roms in first post for DEV 4392 try the 3.3.1540.11 from the Biostar TA960 http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/intr…on.php?S_ID=634. This worked for me unlike all the other roms listed, on two of my boards, a MSI 770T-c45 (770 + SB710) and a Biostar TA785G3 HD (785G + SB710).

@ all:
Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• new: Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v16.0.2.3402 for the latest/upcoming Intel SATA RAID Controllers

• The Intel RAID ROM platfom v16 has been primarily designed for the Intel 300-Series resp. for the upcoming Intel Chipsets.
    It has been extracted by me from the Gigabyte GA-Z370-Aorus Gaming7 BIOS F5. Thanks to MrBeer for the info about the source BIOS.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

EDIT: According to the recent tests the Intel RAID ROM v16.0.2.3402 is not usable with 100-Series Chipset systems.

@ all:
Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• new: Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v16.0.1.3397 for the latest/upcoming Intel SATA RAID Controllers

• Notes:
    The Intel RST RAID ROM/EFI RaidDriver BIOS modules from the v16 platform have been designed for Intel 300-Series Chipsets. Nevertheless it seems possible, that this latest v16.0.1 series Intel RAID ROM module supports 100-/200-Series Chipset RAID systems as well (has to be tested).
    A big thankyou goes to pokuly, who extracted the Option ROM file from an MSI Beta BIOS and offered it for us.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

EDIT: According to the tests done by our Forum member killkernel (look >here<) this Intel RAID ROM cannot be used with an Intel 100-Series Chipset system.

@ all:
Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• new: Intel RSTe SATA RAID ROM v4.7.0.1014 for DEV_2826 SATA RAID Controllers

• These Intel RSTe RAID ROM modules have been designed by Intel for the C600/600+ Series chipsets like X79 and X99. Thanks to MerlinX for the source files.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando

Hello Fernando, i’ve integrated on ASRock Z170 OC Formula’s BIOS and these modules didn’t work, i’ve got same behaviour obtained integrating V.16.0.2.3402, so it seems that V.16.0.1.3339 is the latest working on Intel 100 chipset.

Regards,

KK

@killkernel :
Thanks for your test and for your report.

Do you really think, that I should offer this latest v16 platform Intel RAID ROM module, which seems to be usable with Intel 100-/200 Series Chipsets, within the start post? Since there are obviously better Intel RAID BIOS module versions available for such systems, I do not really recommend to insert any v16 platform Intel RAID module into the BIOS of any mainboard with an Intel Chipset up to Intel 200-Series resp. X99.

@Fernando

These are my “two cents” to save time for other users that could be interested and obviously you could do what you want as thread is yours, on my side and for my experience until i’ll get improvements in my systems by inserting/updating OROMs and CPU Microcode i’ll do it for sure…

Regards,

KK

Cool someone tested this! It must be very uncommon to change beahavior inside pretty near release numbers. Before i’d have taken a bet it changes from 16.0.2 on.

Maybe this i why we see a change in ROM behaviour extracted from the latest MSI and the newer Gigabyte.
guru3d.com: MSI releases BIOS update for MSI X299 and Z370 to support CPU-Attached RAID

@pokuly :
I doubt, that the “CPU-attached RAID” option the guru3d story is refering to has anything to do with the problem to get the latest v16 platform Intel RAID ROM/EFI “RaidDriver” modules working with Intel 100-Series Chipsets.

Guys hello! Sorry for english. I’m new in this topic and I do not know whether I’m asking this question in this topic - I have the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3P motherboard. What changes can be made to this bios? I read you can change the AHCI ROM and RAID ROM - is that all? Here is the link to the BIOS http://download.gigabyte.ru/bios/motherb…45-ds3p_f9c.exe If it’s not hard for you to see please. What can be improved in this BIOS. Of course I’ll learn it.

@Dagal :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

This is the content of your mainboard’s Award BIOS (opened with CBROM32_198):

Open BIOS EP45DS3P.F9C.png

Theoretically you can change all 3 PCI ROM modules (A, B and C), but the update of the Intel AHCI ROM (= PCI ROM[A]) and RAID ROM (= PCI ROM[B]) will be rather difficult, because they both are located above the sensitive module named GV3 (= PPMINIT.ROM) and cannot be properly updated by using the CBROM32_198.EXE tool.
For details please look into the start post of >this< and >this< thread.

Why do you want to update the Option ROMs at all? Do you have created an Intel RAID array?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@ Dagal
… additional you could update microcode (if there are newer ones), LAN Option ROM …

regards, MiMo

@Dagal ,

I recommend either making your own boot logo, or just clearing out the Logo files if you need space to add the Plop boot loader or just update the Raid Rom. Wouldn’t go over 12.9 on Raid however.
Here is a good guide on adding Plop into your bios: http://www.rom.by/blog/Dobavlenie_v_star…pomoshchyu_Plop. Its in russian though.

Also thanks Fernando I didn’t know about that PPMINIT issue. So Dagal read the thread Fernando linked and watch those checksums. Loading the final rom in Modbin6 might be could to check for errors,
and make further tweaks to the bios menu if you want.

Good luck!

Fernando
MiesMosel
davidm71

Fernando, Yes I want to create a RAID array. Thanks for the answer. Now it became clear to me in general what to read and where to move. Thank you all, if there are questions I can ask them in this topic?