AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

It depends on the topic of the question. If the question is about the choice of the “best” Intel RAID ROM for your specific Intel Chipset, you are right here, but if your question is about how to successfully modify the BIOS, >this< or >this< thread will be the better location.

Fernando is OK. got it!

Fernando
Which version of AHCI ROM is newer?
If everything is clear with the definition of the RAID ROM version, then there is no AHCI ROM.
1. I took from the bios ICHAAHCI_from_EP45DS3P.F9C (DEV_3A22) v.1.20E
2. I took from the bios ICHAAHCI_from_GA-X58A-OC (DEV_3A22) v.1.20E
3. I took from the forum ICHAAHCI_8086-3B22_v1.20E
According to the version they are all the same, but in HxD, they are all different. How to find out which one is the newest?

ICHAAHCI_8086-3B22_v1.20E.rar (10.6 KB)

ICHAAHCI_from_EP45DS3P.F9C (DEV_3A22) v.1.20E.rar (10.6 KB)

ICHAAHCI_from_GA-X58A-OC (DEV_3A22) v.1.20E.rar (10.6 KB)

@Dagal :
1. The Intel AHCI Option ROM of your BIOS is v1.20E, which is the latest available version. All your uploaded files named ICHAHCI.BIN are the latest version 1.20E as well, but contain a few different bytes because of their different DeviceIDs.
Conclusion: You cannot update the AHCI ROM module, because it is already the latest.
2. The Intel RAID Option ROM of your BIOS is v8.0.0.1039 and belongs to the Intel Matrix Storage Manager platform. If you want, you can update it to RST v10.1.0.1008 or (better, but much bigger sized) to RST v11.2.0.1527.
Attention: It is difficult to do the update in a way, that the location of the sensitive module named PPMINIT.ROM within the BIOS will stay untouched.
3. The Realtek PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet LAN Option ROM of your BIOS is v2.26 and should only be updated, if you want to use the “Wake-on-LAN” feature.

@Dagal ,

I have zeroed out the old Sata RaidRom ver 8.0.0.1039 in your Rom bios and because there was enough room in there I added Raid Rom 12.9 but don’t use it yet until someone like @Fernando can take a look to verify there are no checksum errors or anything in there. All I did was open your rom in a hex editor, searched for the -lh5- signature for the corresponding raid rom and two bytes after the filename entry and two bytes before the ‘-lh5-’ signature of the next compressed file I filled it in with all '00’s. This way it maintains the position of your PPMInit file. Only thing is I am not sure if it affects any existing checksums or anything however Cbrom was able to extract a perfect 64 byte empty zeroed out bin file. So thats encouraging.

I have attached the file as a doc file so rename the extension to .7z.

Thanks

ep45ds3p.doc (571 KB)

@davidm71 :
Thank you very much for trying to help Dagal.
Although I am not an expert regarding the modification of Award BIOSes, I doubt, that this BIOS will work properly in RAID mode
It would have been better, if you would have replaced the old ICHARAID.BIN by a similarly sized dummy file and inserted the Intel RAID Option ROM v11.2.0.1527 as ICHARAID.BIN file.

@Fernando ,

I don’t believe that the name of the rom module is important. In my bios its called Sataorom.bin. What is important is the Vendor Device IDs and Rom Checksum information to be correct.
The problem with trying to replace the ICHARAID.BIN file with a dummy file using CBROM is that you can’t predict the final compressed size inside his rom bios file? The way I did it the empty
module maintains the same file size compressed and uncompressed inside the ROM Bios file. The hope is that it would get ignored by the system when the system posts and uncompresses
the roms to memory. Of course I’m not sure if it would work because I really can’t say if the -LH5- header maintains a checksum that needs to be corrected or not for each compressed volume.

If only Plutomaniac could comment…

Thanks

@davidm71 :
You may be right, but I am unsure as well.
Nevertheless I do not really recommend to update the Intel RAID ROM module from MSM v8.0.0.1039 to RST v12.9.0.2006. Due to the problem, that the Option ROM loader of many old BIOSes is not able to load much bigger than 100 KB sized Option ROM modules, I would prefer to insert the Intel RST RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008 (safest variant) or v11.2.0.1527 (best variant).
The checksum-8 of all inserted Option ROM modules has to be “00”. Since all original and modded Option ROM modules, which are offered within this Forum, have the required checksum-8, there is nothing to worry about the checksum.

Fernando your probably right but there is no way to tell if his rom will accept 12.9 or not. If I was Dagal I would google search for already modified versions of his rom bios and see if others were able to load larger raid roms.
As far as the checksums are concerned I understand that part regarding how it works in respect to loading the rom. I would imagine that a file filled with zeros would get ignored due to not having a header, checksum, or anything.
If only he had dual bios switch or something if want to try it out without risk.

Thanks.

FYI: I recompiled a utility made by Pinczakko that corrects the checksums. It was so old that it would only work in a 32 bit dos shell but now works in 64 bit enviroments.

Here it is: Patch64

davidm71
Fernando

Thank you very much for your help and advice.
On the forum in the section Actual PCI ROM modules (not AHCI/RAID related) learned that in order to successfully insert the ROM into the BIOS file you need
a) replacing the DeviceID code and
b) Corrections for Checksum8
I understand that for AHCI and RAID, you also need to change DeviceID and Checksum8 (if DeviceID is different). All right and thanks to davidm71 for the Patch64

davidm71
Thank you again for all your help.

The Asus ROG MAXIMUS X APEX BIOS 1301 has this one added "Support RAID on CPU function in Z370 series" and now has the 16.0.2.3402 for this so it may indeed have something to do with it.

@ all:
Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• new: Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v16.3.0.3377 for the latest/upcoming Intel SATA RAID Controllers

• The Intel RAID ROM platfom v16 has been primarily designed for the Intel 300-Series resp. for the upcoming Intel Chipsets.
    It has to be tested, whether this Intel RAID ROM module works with Intel 100- and 200-Series Chipset RAID systems.
    Thanks to Station-Drivers for the source file.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello guys! Test done and working without issues on ASRock Z170 OC Formula…
Intel EFI "RaidDriver" and "GopDriver" BIOS Modules (37)

Cheers,
KK

@killkernel :
Thanks for your feedback!
Which sort of Intel RAID array are you using?

EDIT: Oh, I just have seen it on your screenshot of the Intel RST Utility, that it is an Intel RAID0.
Some benchmark results would be fine.

Hello Fernando! At the moment this HW is on bench-test and OS is installed on a RAID 0 of two 500GB HDDs because i’m re-testing CPU OC with newest Intel CPU micro-code (Rev. 84) released for Spectre bug mitigation.

Cheers,

KK

Intel RSTe 5.4.0.1039 SATA/sSATA legacy OROMs

intel_rste_5.4.0.1039_legacy.zip (118 KB)

@ all:
Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• new: Intel RSTe SATA RAID ROM v5.4.0.1039 for DEV_2826 SATA RAID Controllers
  • new: Intel RSTe sSATA RAID ROM v5.4.0.1039 for DEV_2827 sSATA RAID Controllers

• These Intel RSTe RAID ROM modules have been designed by Intel for the latest Intel X99/X299 Chipsets. Thanks to Pacman for the source files.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Intel RST(e) RAID ROM 16.5.0.3487

8086-2822 Intel RST RAID 16.5.0.3487.zip (65.6 KB)

@ all:
Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• new: Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v16.5.0.3487 for the latest/upcoming Intel SATA RAID Controllers

• The Intel RAID ROM platfom v16 has been primarily designed for the Intel 300-Series resp. for the upcoming Intel Chipsets.
    It has to be tested, whether this Intel RAID ROM module works with Intel 100- and 200-Series Chipset RAID systems.
    Thanks to Pacman resp. Station-Drivers for the source file.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hey @Fernando

Hope you have been doing well! So I tried flashing 6.0.1 on my x99a godlike gaming carbon lol. I saw that you said it supported 6 series cpus.
I have the i7 6850k running the dev_2822. Like I said before I got up to 5.1 before and it works fine.
I tried out 6.0.1 and the section for raid in uefi actually showed up! Nothing from 5.2 - 5.9 worked at all or even showed in uefi in bios.
The only problem is it said it couldn’t detect any drives. It even showed the version number in the top right. v16.0.1.3397

I already have a raid array created with my stock 14.0 raid rom and I was kinda meh on the fact of flashing back and destroying the raid just to see if the drives would show up with 6.0.1.
Do you think that 6.0.1 would actually work or is it for a different dev and that’s why its not detecting my drives?

I flashed back to my last bios and it works fine still so no harm done but wanted to know what you think about it.

As always thank you for your time Fernando.

Sincerely,
Kamiccolo