[GUIDE] Coffee Lake CPUs on Skylake and Kaby Lake motherboards

The matching board for your file upload – Maximus VIII Ranger. And I did not tinker with Coffeetimes files and obviously these are the same when I (successfully) mess with your file and when I fail to mod my own dumped BIOS.

1 Additon to the list of errors: System now failed three times in a row to shut off properly.

BTW @itsakjt: When running the same CPU on the same board (though with newer UEFI) as me,
did you observe any abnormalities with hardware monitoring and CPU settings?

• I now use a -200 mV offset of the boards default 1.5 V Vcore (which do are not even close to any 1151 CPU) and I get 1.22 V under load and 1.32 V idle. Which is more akin to 1.3 V fixed preset on a board with really bad Vdrop than anything using an offset on actual turbo behaviour.
  • EIST and turbo modes seem messed up as well: My clocks vary between 2.9 and 3.6 GHz on all eight cores simultaneously.
  • Package power ain’t any better at 2.7 W acording to HWInfo 7.22, but the board does seem to know a more realistic value. At least my PSU reports 155 W on 12V1 which is about as close to my settings (150 W PL1) as above voltages are.
  • VR VCC temp is given at up to 93 °C under load with a fast but rather small reduction on reduced CPU activity to mid-eightyish values. Normalle VR VCC should stay much closer to the temperature of its neighbouring MOSFETs, which are at a watercooled 45 °C.

I am not even quite sure at the moment whether my readouts are trash or my board.

(Also my SATAe front panel now works for 30 to 120 seconds after powering on with drives vanashing in midoperation later. WTF? I guess will have to find that one other guy in the world that is acutally using SATAe.^^)

Hi @PCGH_Torsten,
I have upgraded the CPU now to an i7 9700K clocked at 5.1 GHz 24x7.
For your questions:

1. I had to use an offset as well for that and it is actually quite common on ASUS boards. Do not worry about it. This was the case with both CPUs (9600KF and 9700K)
  2. I use a manual overclock as mentioned with quite high voltages (1.48V on load) and have left the EIST and turbo settings at Auto. They work perfect.
  3. I use AIDA64 for monitoring and it seems to report perfect values. For the vCore, I have measured on the vCore chokes and get same reading with multimeter.
  4. VR VCC temp for my unit is reported at lower 80 degree C on idle. I have researched on this and it is normal and is basically the temperature of the voltage controller inside the CPU. Do not worry about it as long as your CPU is cooled properly.
  5. As for SATAe, I have never used that on my board. I use a Samsung PM981a 1 TB NVMe SSD along with a 480 GB Kingston SATA SSD and a 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD from Seagate and they work fine,

Also later, I have updated the BIOS further more and fixed an issue with Wake on LAN not working (option was greyed out in UEFI) by updating the Intel LAN OPROM. I have also updated the CPU microcode to the latest F0 revision. I have also made changes via AMIBCP tool to make CSM disabled and secure boot enabled by default to make it Windows 11 ready by default. I also needed the ASUS TPM-M R2.0 card to have TPM support since the ASUS Z170 ROG boards typically have Intel PTT disabled through the FPF on the chipset (FPF = Field Programmable Fuse - Basically a one shot fuse). I spent 6 days on that and figured out that it is not possible to enable PTT on my particular board without physically replacing the chipset.

M8R_4502.zip (8.2 MB)

Please use AsProgrammer for flashing the BIOS with CH341a.
AsProgrammer_V2.1.0.13_XiTongZhiJia.zip (2.0 MB)

Please try this new file and let me know the results.

Also please let me know if you are setting your board data correctly (UUID, SN, MAC address) with Coffee Time.

Also, did you isolate any of the CPU pads? If so, you can safely remove them because this board do not have those reserved pins connected anywhere (my CPU socket is still in mint condition even after almost a year of heavy usage). Isolating the pads might have something to do with the false readings.

With the symptoms your PC is having, it looks like the BIOS is not getting flashed properly. AsProgrammer should fix it (select the chip model as on your board - typically Winbond W25Q128FV)

I still use this system as my daily driver and it still works great. I wish you will be able to run it perfectly as well. All the best and keep us updated.

Hi.
I was using SkyGz CH341 Programmer 1.4 free so far. If it did any errors during flashing, it sure made the same during verification. CPU is not isolated, just sktocc modded. (I aint that good and flimsy soldering, so modding the board seemed to be the less safe option.) UUID/SN/MAC were successfully transplanted into the BIOS I flashed based on your older file, with exception of the 2nd MAC that for some reason was found in my own dump despite there being no 2nd LAN controller on M8R. (It was identical to the 1st one anyway.)
AIDA package power makes a lot more sense, at least it goes up into tripple digits under load instead of going down as reported in HWInfo. However 114 W seem a bit low for an 9900K at 2.9 GHz and 1.22 V (which in itself is definitley too low for an 9900K given 200 W headroom) and would imply a terrible VRM efficiency, if the 152 W supply power reported by my PSU are correct.
I will try your new BIOS and software next, hoping for improvements. (Though I do not intend to let Win11 near my PC and in fact need CSM :-))

BTW: PC just did it first proper shutdown since switching the CPU. Well - too late now pal to show some good will! :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice work you did on your BIOS. Current LAN options, did even set the correct CPU voltage. But darn: Switching CSM back on did nothing for boot device recognition, my mbr windows installation remains unbootable on both NVME drives (tried M.2 and PCIe x4). An Win 11 GPT drive, however, is recognized. On 2nd thought this might have been the same problem I had with your older image, when I didn’t think to test any new installation specifically. Could it be that parts of your CSM hard deactivation overrule settings made in the BIOS?

BTW I just noticed your specific SSD: The PM981 was that one exception which brought its own option rom, making it bootable as an AHCI or PCIe device without need for functional NVME support, wasn’t it? I always wanted to try Win98 on one of those. :slight_smile: But more importantly it might be that your system skips the whole NVME recognition that could be involved in my problems.

I am now trying to advance my crude 2022 based attempt. With all CoffeeTime mods applied it did at least recognize an USB stick in the SATAe front panel as a boot device, though the very same drive was absent in windows 30 s later. More on stability, performance and shut downs (or lack thereoff^^) tomorrow.

Update on 2202 improvements:

• EIST fixed
  • Turbomode stayed unavailable.
  • Shutdown problems rarer, but still there. Hang up often occured so late that windows did not remark on it in next boot. Once I got a bluescreen indicating power management - perhaps ACPI tables weren’t the only thing off?
  • USB/SATAe will work after deactivating and reactivating USB device in windows. Can’t be driver issue, though, because windows just sees a generic PCIe link and and ASMedia controller - the very same setup used with the very same driver for M8Rs own USB 3.1 ports without causing trouble there.

Next attempt: Got CoffeeTime99 to replace IME in Asus’ 3802.cap and backflashed that one. (still no chance of modding my original 3802 dump, though)

• Vcore now too low, immediate errors in Prime95 and instability afterwards caused UEF corruption. Had to manually reset - and now feel confirmed in giving bonus for external reset switches (which M8R lacks) in my reviews.
  • +100 mV ended in 1.46 V in Prime95 and overheating.
  • +50 mV gives 1.42 V under load and 1.12 idle. Seems stable, but really: 1.37 without offset were insufficient for 4.5 GHz?? I had planned to overclock and the 92 °C core temperature with 30 °C water intake observed at 1.42 V are already unsustainable.
  • Turbo is still broken. While the system goes to 4.5 GHz now (3.9 before) all cores are still synced, making high single core clocks at reasonable energy conversion impossible.
  • HWInfo package power now moves in the correct direction and deviates only about 10% from AIDA. But both appear too low, indicating 190/210 W with 8 core Prime95, while PSU reports 310 W input into VRM. Considering the temperature problems, the PSU readings seem more realistic.
  • Front panel seems fine (for) now
  • Shutdowns: We’ll see.

Hello Again Guys,

all done perfectly on intel 9600kf and z170a gaming m7 but the problem here is that the CPU clock is actually stuck on 0.8 and the XMP + game boost is not working, tried to overclock it manually but it’s the same,

not so stable, if I restart it, it might go for the windows or it doesn’t show anything and the Debug shows D6 error.

idk what to do to solve the clock issue and XMP

plz help!

<3 <3 <3 <3

EDIT: it reads the basic clock of the CPU 3.7 on the top right corner but if u look at the clock itself it show 0.8

Hello all,

Was looking to run a QQLS with my Gigabyte Z170- Gaming 3 but after reviewing the VRM spec started looking for a higher end board and found a good deal on an ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 1. My AliExpress seller informed me that on the Gigabyte board I would just need to flash the modified BIOS they provided but looking around here it seems I’ll need a programmer. Any suggestions on which to purchase in US? Where can I find info on using the programmer on the TUF Mark 1?

Edit: Can I use my Rasp Pi?

Hello all,

I recently got an i9-9880hk mutant cpu from Aliexpress and I managed to get it working on a Asus Z170 D3 board.

I used coffeetime to patch the bios (I dumped it from the board using a CH341A programmer). I managed to get it working only with a specific ME version and then disabling that.
The version is 11.8.77.3664 Corporate, later I found out that starting with 11.8, coffelake CPUs aren’t supported on the board (if enabled).
Since I have access to the programmer, I thought it would be easy to change back. No dice.
I’ve tried many combinations:
Leaving the original version 11.6.13.1212 and enable/disable.
Upgrading to many other versions said to be compatible with coffee lake cpus.

I’ve tried using MEInject, to put back the older version into the modded bios (so that the filesystem state shows initialized - thinking it’s the same system)

I’m thinking to use a supported CPU on the board with the original bios to see if that boots next, but this is more of a hail mary and would be quite annoying (needing to remove the spacers from the socket)

Does anybody have any hints/pointers?

I looked over many threads but the amount of information is overwhelming.

LE: I just had a look at the bios the folks from the Aliexpress shop provided, and that too has the same ME version.

@reactive Hi, I read your posts about G20 machines and found the creativity in the modifications on the two different G20 BIOS/UEFI exciting - thanks for sharing.

Having read it, I now have the impression that it might be relatively challenging to modify the manufacturer BIOS/UEFI exactly as you have done (because I’m not sure which version it’s based on in your case, 1001, 1202 or 1402 and what other customisations may have been applied besides the CoffeeTime patch).

So I would like to enquire - might it be possible for you to upload the file of this functional version of the BIOS/UEFI (for the G20CI with initialisation of 16 threads)?

Since I actually have the same machine/mainboard type and would also like to install one i9-9900k (SRG19, R0), I think it would suit perfectly. The only changes I would make would be to the entries for the MAC address, serial number, etc. (of course you could replace these values with placeholders before uploading, for privacy reasons).

Hello I have a QTJ0 8c/16t 10th Comet Lake BGA1440-to-1151 (reported as Coffee Lake on CPU-Z) and I want to know if it will work on a z390 motherboard right after adding only the microcode or do I have to patch other parts of the z390 BIOS?
I see people have modded z270 (not just z170s); but does anybody here have experience modding 300-series chipsets like z370 or z390 for the BGA1440-to-1151 modded CPUs?

The board is an iBuyPower OEM AsRock Phantom Gaming z390 4S/IB

I opened the BIOS image on CoffeeTime 0.99 and the 1440 patch is not clickable. (see screenshot)

This is the CPU I bought:

And this is how it shows on CoffeeTime .99:

I see that I just need to downgrade the ME and add all the microcodes I presume that is all. The other issue is that my CPU a “10th Comet lake/Coffee Lake ES” but from all the microcodes available I do not see any “9th/10th Gen Engineering Sample microcodes”. I assume the 9th is gen microcodes are going to work? Anybody familiar with these so-called 10th-Gen Comet Lake BGA1440 cpus from AliExpress and which microcodes they actually use?

UPDATE: I just contacted the AliExpress guy that sold me the QTJ0 and he says that z390 is not supported for modding, that only z170, z270, z370, and B365 are supported. Is that correct?

“z390 is not supported for modding”: yes
The microcode section will work using coffeetime for the gen8/ gen9 cpu only.

2 Likes

I flashed the modded bios bios chip of a Asrock z370 Pro 4 and put in a BGA1440 mutant CPU, however when I power on the computer I get no video.

Has anybody heard of an issue like this, with the BGA1440 modded CPU? I cant get any video out :(.

When I power the motherboard, the fans spin and that is all.

UPDATE:

It was my RAM. I was using a Chinese RAM adapter that adapts Laptop SO-DIMM to DIMM.

I was trying to create some kind of Chinese mutant PC but it didnt work. The CPU did work but not the RAM adapter lol…

I think those Adapters require that the RAM have a higher voltage in the BIOS. So they are not good for first-time BIOS setup. Or the SODIMM was simply not compatible with the motherboard so the adapter does not work lol.

same ask . my motherboard is maximus viii ranger and bios is 3802 . can i but i7 8700k but in whitout broplems , now it is i7 6700k

can i taken i7 8700k and but in my motherboat that bios version 3802

Try to use Google translator, as your messages are a bit out of sense…

If your asking if you can use a 8700k in your current motherboard, then read the 1rst post on this thread.
Also this thread: [TOOL] Easy automated Mod tool for Coffee Lake bios

Is it safe to enable Memory Integrity on a coffeetime’d CPU? Afraid I might break something.

I mod bios for Gigabyte B250 D3H mainboard. Now the BIOS doesn’t recognize the boot part of the SSD, but when I plug in the USB it still receives it. Now I’m back to the original BIOS with the same problem, what should I do?
https://i.postimg.cc/WNPvYTt6/IMG-20240117-155424.jpg

@luudanxi Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!
If the boot partition is missing on the SSD, there went something wrong during the OS installation.
You can either repair it by using a tool like EasyBCD or do a fresh install of the OS (tip: remove the USB Flash Drive during the first reboot).

1 Like

No no, the BCD is still there, I press F12 and I can boot into Windows in the “no text” area… but the bios doesn’t recognize it. This is the second motherboard I have had problems with, the previous one was also Gigabyte.