[Guide] CoffeeLake CPUs on Skylake and KabyLake mainboards

Hello I have a QTJ0 8c/16t 10th Comet Lake BGA1440-to-1151 (reported as Coffee Lake on CPU-Z) and I want to know if it will work on a z390 motherboard right after adding only the microcode or do I have to patch other parts of the z390 BIOS?
I see people have modded z270 (not just z170s); but does anybody here have experience modding 300-series chipsets like z370 or z390 for the BGA1440-to-1151 modded CPUs?

The board is an iBuyPower OEM AsRock Phantom Gaming z390 4S/IB

I opened the BIOS image on CoffeeTime 0.99 and the 1440 patch is not clickable. (see screenshot)

This is the CPU I bought:

And this is how it shows on CoffeeTime .99:

I see that I just need to downgrade the ME and add all the microcodes I presume that is all. The other issue is that my CPU a “10th Comet lake/Coffee Lake ES” but from all the microcodes available I do not see any “9th/10th Gen Engineering Sample microcodes”. I assume the 9th is gen microcodes are going to work? Anybody familiar with these so-called 10th-Gen Comet Lake BGA1440 cpus from AliExpress and which microcodes they actually use?

UPDATE: I just contacted the AliExpress guy that sold me the QTJ0 and he says that z390 is not supported for modding, that only z170, z270, z370, and B365 are supported. Is that correct?

“z390 is not supported for modding”: yes
The microcode section will work using coffeetime for the gen8/ gen9 cpu only.

2 Likes

I flashed the modded bios bios chip of a Asrock z370 Pro 4 and put in a BGA1440 mutant CPU, however when I power on the computer I get no video.

Has anybody heard of an issue like this, with the BGA1440 modded CPU? I cant get any video out :(.

When I power the motherboard, the fans spin and that is all.

UPDATE:

It was my RAM. I was using a Chinese RAM adapter that adapts Laptop SO-DIMM to DIMM.

I was trying to create some kind of Chinese mutant PC but it didnt work. The CPU did work but not the RAM adapter lol…

I think those Adapters require that the RAM have a higher voltage in the BIOS. So they are not good for first-time BIOS setup. Or the SODIMM was simply not compatible with the motherboard so the adapter does not work lol.

same ask . my motherboard is maximus viii ranger and bios is 3802 . can i but i7 8700k but in whitout broplems , now it is i7 6700k

can i taken i7 8700k and but in my motherboat that bios version 3802

Try to use Google translator, as your messages are a bit out of sense…

If your asking if you can use a 8700k in your current motherboard, then read the 1rst post on this thread.
Also this thread: [TOOL] Easy automated Mod tool for Coffee Lake bios

Is it safe to enable Memory Integrity on a coffeetime’d CPU? Afraid I might break something.

I mod bios for Gigabyte B250 D3H mainboard. Now the BIOS doesn’t recognize the boot part of the SSD, but when I plug in the USB it still receives it. Now I’m back to the original BIOS with the same problem, what should I do?
https://i.postimg.cc/WNPvYTt6/IMG-20240117-155424.jpg

@luudanxi Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!
If the boot partition is missing on the SSD, there went something wrong during the OS installation.
You can either repair it by using a tool like EasyBCD or do a fresh install of the OS (tip: remove the USB Flash Drive during the first reboot).

1 Like

No no, the BCD is still there, I press F12 and I can boot into Windows in the “no text” area… but the bios doesn’t recognize it. This is the second motherboard I have had problems with, the previous one was also Gigabyte.

UEFI OS or Legacy OS…
Past screen capture i only see 1 UEFI device, the USB disk.

EDIT: So where is the Kingston UEFI disk… understood?
The EFI partition must be corrupted, the bios boot manager doesn’t see it as healthy UEFI to load so it is displayed as regular disk, and this is irrelevant for the screen capture of windows boot manager…

EDIT: “No words”… sorry dont know what you mean
UEFI OS can boot in legacy…usually, sometimes it cannot due to drivers.

1 Like

No, my SSD uses UEFI and has partial boot… it’s just that the bios doesn’t recognize it

And I checked the “no words” box and it still booted into Windows, but it took a lot of effort.
“Sorry, I use Google to translate, so sometimes I don’t fully express the meaning”

This is “No words”

Oh… an empty entry line on boot manager, no words…ok.

1 Like

Ok… finally my PC is working fine with a newer bios (to prevent giga’s dual bios from interfering) after using Macrium Reflect to fix the EFI part. Thank you for your interest in helping :slight_smile:

I understand the ‘Coffeetime’ application is the go-to method of getting 8th/9th gen functionality on Skylkake boards

So firstly I extracted my bios ( several times now) , both the Main and backup ( Gigabyte Z170X gaming 5) . I extracted with Gigabytes ‘@BIOS’, Intels FTP flash tool , and Even the CH314A Frustratingly on every dump the UUID and SN are ‘N/A’

I am pretty stumped … Shall I just flash without ?

General Gigabyte boards are indeed like that.
You can confirm more details here
Intel NICs should take note of the MAC for safe keeping.

Hi, I’m looking to patch Coffee Lake support to my Asus Z170M-Plus, and since I’m on a tight budget I’ve spotted a couple of cheap CPUs, though they are engineering samples, hence the low pricing. One is a QNMN i5-8400 and the other is a QNMM 8600K. Would either of them work at all with this patch or am I better off just getting a retail chip?

Hey guys!

I’m new to this forum so be nice please :slight_smile: - Or throw rocks at me, i will try to dodge!

Long story short: I dont want to update my whole System as i am happy with as it is, except for the CPU. I’ve seen online, that there a bios mods which allow us to use a newer CPU on old Motherboards. This is my Setup ATM (Just the important stuff):

i7 6700k
Asus Maximus Extreme 8
760 Watt Corsair AX760

Was anyone able to make this kind of combination work? Or maybe has a good idea on what to do? So far i’ve only found guides for AsRock or MSI Boards and many different statements on which CPU will work and which won’t.

Looking forward for a Pro to help me…thanks in advance!

Hi

Can any confirm if the Coffeetime (8th/9th Gen Bios hack) works on OEM motherboards

For example the ALienware X51 R3 has a Z170 board … I was thinking of trying

I have a CH314 and can resolder BIOS chip if needed