[Guide] NVMe-boot for systems with legacy BIOS and UEFI board (DUET-REFIND)

DUET_UDK2019_REFIND.zip (2.2 MB)
This one?

Which board? It does work on legacy systems. I have used it for many years on an EX58-EXTREME 1.0 and an older C2D system, as well as a 100-series that doesn’t do NVME (Lenovo): . Disable everything you can in the BIOS and try, then slowly re-enable until it stops working.

Board is Gigabyte EP45 UD3P. CPU is Q9550 C2Q. 8GB RAM. System is over clocked. One video card and one NIC are installed.

Booting into duet/rEFInd will result in a menu from duet, I believe, but no keyboard function. No matter what kind of keyboard used (PS2/USB)

Booting into Clover gets a black screen. Though the same Clover boot stick works on newer machines.

Sorry, I seem to have missed this reply. Thank you. I will try this file and see.

When I boot from a stick with that file I get this https://imgur.com/R23OldQ

On this screen, no keyboard works for me. I don’t know if the system is frozen or just no keyboard support. All the keyboards work normally under Windows. Tried USB and PS/2 keyboards.

The only way to get off this screen is to hold the power button on the case.

Maybe you could lead me to what version you have used? I believe that maybe the problem, newer versions don’t work or something.

Thank you very much for confirming an old legacy system can boot NVME. This will help me fight the good fight.

I have used several versions. My X58 was on 2015 original, then 2015 with REFIND, now the latest 2020. My 2c. What you are describing sounds more like an installation issue.

I use the usbtool that it comes with.

hi there, i had the same proble… did you sole that?

i would like to thank all the enfforts that people do to help, but i tryied a dozen tutorials and none with success… Clover, duet, duet/refind, aioboot (pizuski)… nothing works… i think that have to be some twiks/configuration on the bios that are missing in the tutorials… does anyone knows a complete tutorial that works with: Asus P6X58E-D
more specs: intel i-7 960; Crucial P5 Plus nvme M.2; Pcie adaptor Conceptronic EMRICK05BS Emrick… thanks in advance

Nope. Will not work for me. Can’t figure out why. Thinking its a bios setting but what one? I have the pc in question exactingly over clocked and don’
t want to ruin that. But eventually I will restore it and try.

i made progress…
some bios config:

• disable usb 3.0
  • change sata to AHCI
  • USB boot with aioboot (pizuski)… includes Clover… there is a tuto in the forum

my problem now is when i connet my nvme via pcie, my win10 in HDD dont boot… and when try to intall win10 via usb with clover, it freezes too

hope this can help you

I don’t have USB 3 on this system

Already set to ACHI.

I will try that boot drive program. If you could link that tutorial that would be sweet.

This?:

yes… but i think that the problem is some tweaks at bios that are missing in the tutorial, because i already tested the same prog it no success, and after made the change in the bios, the proram runs… now is missim something more, as i cant boot with the nvme via pcie card adapter connected

try to disconect all HDDs too… i did it and it runs

this guy says, at 1:10 min, that if is not a UEFI Bios, dont even try because it wont work, its a waste of time

i still dont know if its possible… i cant do it

here two videos that shows how far i went… one boots from Clover and the other one from my native multiboot… this one stays almost 2 min at the symbol windows screen

by the way, i tested with win10 Lite [Spectre], in both cases

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10pd49iGik3lEcu8FYmrzncUHO6bzounO?usp=sharing

That aio program booted for me and seems to work. I changed nothing in the bios except to boot from usb. I’ll have to pull some hardware but in a few days I’ll try to get Windows installed. I will detail how it goes.

I can’t get that windows logo to show. After I select clover bootloader, i select the USB drive with win 10 on it. system reboots and nothing happens.

Really, I am sick of all these guide that do not tell you in detail how this has to work. Even the guy who wrote the guide for aio has mistakes in his guide. #3 does not get you clover boot loader…its #6.

What I think the issue is for both of us is either the usb sticks or the OS.

it happens with me too… so i read about, and you must do, in your windows usb install this:

• *After the image has been burned to the USB, copy bootx64.efi from the /efi/boot folder of the Windows ISO/DVD into /efi/microsoft/boot. Rename the file to “bootmgfw.efi” and also rename cdboot.efi to cdboot.bak.

then you will see at glover menu a EFI install option… start it and wait (instalation stays at win logo for 2 or 3 minutes. just wait)

i download win10.iso from wintool… and Rufus settings must be GPT//
unffortenlly i cant get it to work with the nvem connected via pcie… it frezzes… but without the nvme, it goes well

then let me know

Thanks for the help.

Followed what you said but it didn’t change anything for me.

When I boot the aio I see a menu 0-9, then, a, d, f, g for options. Clover boot loader is 6. When I select 6 I am presented with: boot grub2 ufei from aioboot, boot winpe from aioboot, boot windows from legacy hd1. Under neath are: start uefi shell 64, options, about clover, restart computer, exit clover.

It seems logical that I would want to pick “0” which says: “install windows from iso” but I have not a clue which options I should choose once in that menu.