[REQUEST] Asus FX504GM Bios Unlock Hidden Options

I think

@Lost_N_BIOS pls we had the dump can you unlock advance setting?

Good evening everyone.

I bought an ASUS TUF FX504GM a few months ago, being pretty amazed at the specs it had (i7 8750h, 6 cores, 2.2 GHz - 4.0 GHz Turbo) w/ an GTX 1060 6 Gb, only to find out after the first gaming tests that it would suddenly freeze completely, automatically turning airplane mode on and not answering to any commands, only forced shutdown from the button and restart.

I search the forums, found some answers that I thought would help, using Intel XTU or ThrottleStop, it did help a little, mainly causing my laptop to shut off completely instead of freezing; other methods mentioned undervolting, again, no definitive solve. I should mention, these sudden stops or freezes could happen 20 - 30 minutes into a demanding game or 3 - 4 hours, it’s completely random.

What I found out recently while doing some tests and looking at the FPS in some games, when I turn Turbo Mode on, the games goes to the max FPS my rig can handle and after some minutes it drops, but if I go from Turbo Mode to Silent and Turbo Mode again, they go up to their max again.

There are some limitations in the bios that I cannot overcome in windows, and all of them are hidden. I have read many threads on this forum and others, with similar laptops and different ones, and I decided to follow the tutorials and try to unlock all the options in my bios. I used Aptio V to save my bios, and modded it using AMIBCP. All good until here. Flashing was a no go, tried using FPTW, it gives me the error: “Error 2: failure. Unexpected error occurred.”, and I thought it was from the ME drivers, I looked for them, installed the ones that were similar to my version and it still didn’t work. I tried using Aptio V AFUWINGUI, it give me an error “18 - Error: Secure Flash Rom Verify Fail.”. I should mention I cannot use the DOS version because my system is UEFI only and FreeDOS is not working in UEFI.

After the APTIO flash error, I looked into it and found out that my bios is locked and I can’t flash a modded bios. I started looking for information about removing the Capsule from my bios so I can flash it, I found some good tutorials but ended at a stalemate again. After using Shell w/ setup_var, it does give me an error like in this tutorial [GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash, but it gives it twice, second one a little bit different. After that, I tried to flash again, still not working, redid everything and tried setup_var again, just to find out that now it was unlocked because it was saying it is 0x00.

So now I’m a bit confused, FPTw doesn’t work with any command, APTIO V Win flash doesn’t work, and I don’t know what else to do, so I decided to post here. Sorry for the long text but I wanted to get all the facts straight.
I also attached the bios that I saved with APTIO V.

Best regards.

TUF_FX504GM.rar (4.42 MB)

@Tuff_Tech - Sorry for delay, always buried here and I just noticed you guys posts as I was about to merge another users post into this thread
Please wait, I will get you a test BIOS done shortly, so I can see if programmer needed was reason previous edit attempts seemed to be failing, or if there is some other issue I missed.

* Edit @Tuff_Tech - please test, let me know if anything missing vs what you see in AMIBCP, that you still need visible.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…561438193943510

*** WARNING - To ANYONE with laptop and unlocked BIOS!!! ***
DO NOT try to enable this graphics card or disable that card, switch cards etc. Otherwise you will end up with no display output (ie black screen) and no way to recover except by blind flash or with flash programmer.
You can change graphics related settings, like changing memory sizes, or core speeds etc, just don’t try to disable one card or change which is main etc.

Additionally, be very careful when trying to undervolt CPU, you can leave BIOS unbootable due to CPU voltage too low (Sometimes even 0.05 is too much)

@alex61194 - you have to send me dump of your BIOS via programmer. Unless tubs was doing something wrongduring his flash attempts using Linustechtip method, I don’t think so though.
Since @Tubs never replied back, I’m not sure what’s going on here anymore. I assume first page of edits I was doing was OK, with HIS BIOS (No one else use any of those), but he maybe wasn’t flashing in properly, but I am not 100% sure what happened.
See comments below.

@monad1272 - merging this post with the other main thread on this system.

You should not flash stock (or modified stock) BIOS with FPT, only dump with FPT first then edit, then reflash. However, for this system you cannot do this with FPT due to FPRR is set (Flash Protected Range Registers), and this cannot be changed via grub/setup_var
The only way to get full mod BIOS flashed in there is with flash programmer, unless previous user was doing something wrong with the linustechtip method outlined at post #2 of this thread (DO NOT Use the BIOS there, you will need to make your own AFU backup first of stock flashed in BIOS, then send to me for continuing test edits)
Due to what we’ve already went through, it may be 100% all fail, and flash programmer is 100% needed for this system otherwise not all the mod BIOS gets flashed in.
You need CH341A + SOIC8 test clip cable, examples linked below at ebay (Cheapest, slowest shipped method, you can find from other sellers or other stores shipped faster)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303430287760
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183425731977

Both you and alex61194 can wait, until Tuff_Tech and I have finalized a mod BIOS, then you can send me your programmer dumps and I can do the edit in a few seconds to each of your BIOS.

Thank you for your quick reply.

So from what I’ve gathered, I should not try and flash BIOS 201 that was posted in the linus forum? And the only way to unlock full bios is with a flash programmer? I found the CH341A and I can order it in my country, the SOIC8 I only found it on aliexpress and it gets shipped from china which will take probably at least a month. So before ordering the flash programmer, there is really no other solution to this specific device, is it? Not with BIOS 201, or anything else?

After some more digging I also found the SOIC8 for purchase, and also, someone told be that the bios could be soldered to the motherboard in some models. Does that mean that I have to take it off the motherboard myself so I could use the flash programmer?

Best regards.

@monad1272 - You’re welcome! Sorry, I 'm not sure what BIOS you are talking about in Linus forum? As for unlocking your BIOS, please wait, as mentioned above, once we sort then I can make mod BIOS for you too.
But, you may need flash programmer, this I am not 100% sure on yet, once I confirm the above mod BIOS I sent Tuff_tech is unlocked, I will make you one with stock BIOS and show you stock BIOS flash method and you can then see if it also fails to apply the changes as well (like what Tubs ran into)

Yes, if you order from china it will take 3-5 weeks, unless you pay for faster shipping (like epacket, ask sellers, some offer faster shipping). Or you can find locally for more $$. Or, just order now and wait, that’s what I always do
These tools are so cheap, and can be a lifesaver in the future with bricked BIOS or BIOS mod you want in on something else etc, everyone should have a set they pay for themselves.

Again, sorry, not sure what you mean with BIOS 201 from Linus’s forum, I never mentioned (nor seen/looked) at any BIOS there?
As I said above, you can possibly flash mod BIOS on here, just wait until I’ve confirmed the edits are OK and I’ll show you the way and then you can test and see if you get same outcome as Tubs did (looked like it flashed, but no changes)
It may have been flashing in for him correctly, but I didn’t do the edit 100% the way it needed done on those attempts, not sure. Please wait until Tuff_Tech replies, then we’ll move forward with a BIOS for you and see if you can get it in there or not.

Hello again.

The bios version 201 is a rollback for my bios, which you talked about in the 3rd post "@alex61194 - OK, yes, thanks, that BIOS rollback method will work for anyone that wants to use that BIOS for the reason stated in the thread you linked at Linustechtips site."

I did flash version 201, no TDP settings after flash, bios says version 201 now, not 308 like before but it looks identical. Also, I found the bios chip on my MB, which means I have to take if off w/ a hot air station or something to use the flash programmer to get a dump?

Thank you.

@monad1272 - OK, thanks for info on 201, I didn’t remember talking about that, and I assume I didn’t look at the BIOS at that time either only replied saying yes if you wanted to do what was stated in some other thread/201 that would work (Since they tested there etc)
BIOS 201 is not used here for anything, and I have no comments or info about it (at all, didn’t look at it, know nothing about it etc) and I don’t even see this mentioned on page one (especially not in 3rd post). Ohh, I see now, on page 3 not post 3… Everything I said before this sentence is true

Anyway, do not use 201 it’s very old BIOS. Wait, as mentioned above, we will be doing the latest BIOS.
No, if BIOS is soldered to board, then you will use SOIC8 test clip with cable

Thank you again for the information. I ordered the flash controller and sometime next week it will arrive I think. Meanwhile I will flash bios version 308, latest one back so I can make a dump when the flash controller arrives. One last question, can you tell me how to use the controller? I have no experience with this.

Best regards.

bios 201 is unlocked you have to boot pressing f7 or f8 i dont remember now, as mentioned aboved i did change gpu and had to go to asus repair system so dont touch dat

I did flash bios 201 and since I did not see any difference I flashed 308 back and now I’m waiting for the flash controller.

Hello again!

@Lost_N_BIOS I finally got the flash programmer and I managed to get a dump of my bios, version 308, using an application called CH341A Mini Programmer. I uploaded the files (.bin & .hex since I did not know which one you need) to mega since the archive is 11 mb so I can’t attach it here.

Mega - 308.rar file

Thank you.

Also, could you not theoretically flash the unlocked bios with the flash programmer as well and bypass the bios lock completely? → regarding this, I was reading the forum and I stumbled upon this guide [GUIDE] Flash BIOS with CH341A programmer, so my assumption was partially correct. I am waiting for @Lost_N_BIOS 's answer so I know what I should next, I don’t want to brick it by omitting something.

---------------------------------

Hello again.

I have some bad news and require a little help. I used the tutorial to flash a modded bios with AMIbcp using the flash programmer but now the laptop will not power on at all. I flashed the backup dump I did before flashing the mod and still it will not power on. I don’t know what else to do. Resetting the CMOS did not help.

Thank you.

----------------------
Update

I tried flashing another dump I found online for this model, still nothing. I tried flashing my dump with AsProgrammer, still nothing. I downloaded the original 308 bios from asus but from what I’ve read it is incomplete and you must merge them somehow, that I don’t really know how to do. Out of ideas for now, any help will be highly appreciated.

@monad1272 - slow down!! Also, please use edit if you need to add more info and no one has replied yet, thanks

What is your BIOS chip ID, and what software and version did you make that original BIOS dump with?
This is why writes are failing, possibly wrong software or version per your chip ID, not all are same, and not all will work with all BIOS chip ID’s. This may also mean your original dump is bad too, can’t tell yet

Bin/hex/rom all same/same, except in your case, not sure at all what this 45MB hex file is, other than garbage we don’t need
Did you ever make a FPT BIOS region backup? If yes, please upload that for me so I can fix BIOS for you, in case the dump above is not 100% good.

Yes, if I can find the bypass to change the lock causing 167 then you can later FPT flash without issue, once this is programmed into board.
But, I have to find that lock, and it may take someone a few tries with BIOS I send first before this is found, and we may have already tried this I think, and I couldn’t find correct edit to bypass.
Flashing method outlined in post #4 here bypasses this anyway (link to Linustechtips method)

Thanks for the reply!

Bios chip ID is WINBOND W25Q128BV if that is what you are reffering to, and the software version is CH341A 1.17. I did not make a FPT BIOS region backup since I did not know how to, this is the only backup I have made with this software. So if you don’t have that there is nothing we can do to fix it except bring it to a service?

For W25Q128BV you need to use 1.18 version CH341A software, or use ASProgrammer 1.41
Here is CH341A software package that has 1.18 - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…695330485827902
And here is ASProgrammer 1.41 - https://github.com/nofeletru/UsbAsp-flash/releases/ << I suggest using this, since I have not personally tested with 1.18, but few others were OK using 1.18 (all other version fail, that I have personally tested)

1.17 may be OK, but I’ve not tested or seen anyone report success with it, and you have failure now so I suggest not using it.
1.29 may also work, but I’ve not tested or seen anyone confirm here (only I see in Google discussion), but if you have a bad dump originally, then writing with known working wont help since source may be corrupted)
Test writing back your original dump with ASProgrammer 1.41 and see if system starts, if not then we know that is a bad dump and I will rebuild your BIOS using other dump + stock
I will do this for you tonight, in meantime while you wait, please test this ^^ and see if you can get system running

No, I can always fix If necessary I would find other dump to use to fix yours, don’t worry

I did try earlier ASProgrammer 1.41 with my original dump since I read on different sources that CH341A may not dump all the information on the chip and it’s still dead, this is where it sits right now.

Also I did find another dump for FX504GM but the MB is rev. B mine is C, if that would help I could upload it.

I tested this exact chip here previously, you can see my findings at post #29 - Bricked Asus Z170-AR
That was only testing some versions of CH341A software, and ASProgrammer, and this shows my above mention of 1.29 (in edit, see above) is not good, since I tested here and it failed
I did not test 1.17 or 1.18 there, but others have confirmed 1.18 may be OK (not 100% sure on write, but read is OK)

Since you already tested ASProgrammer, then your original dump is corrupted in some way. You erased and blank checked first, with ASProgrammer, correct? Then write/verify?
CH341A software dumps everythiong, but not all versions work with all chips, and some may need certain version software and other than exact ID too.

Flashrom will also work, there is windows versions even with GUI posted here, but I’ve never used them

Yes I did erase and blank, write verify, I followed all your steps from the begginers guide, otherwise I wouldn’t have attempted this. And being entirely honest, when I searched for the CH341A software, I searched for version 1.34 and I swear I thought I found 1.34, I just now found that it was in fact 1.17 when I checked the about section.

I’ve never written any guide on using this, so not sure which you are using But good to hear you always erase and blank check first
Many versions software here - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…695330485827902
But wait, I think since APSrogrammer failed for you this means your original dump is not good, I will make you new BIOS tonight

Thank you. I will wait for your reply. Also, the guide is [GUIDE] Flash BIOS with CH341A programmer, I saw your username there and I thought you had a part in it.

Also, a quick question, shouldn’t the laptop at least power on when I press the power button even if the bios is bricked? at least turn on the fans, hdd or something, like other bricked laptops I’ve read about? or some don’t even power on at all?

@Lost_N_BIOS any update on the BIOS? I don’t really know how long such a thing usually takes, that’s why I’m asking