[Request] Dell Vostro 260 - Add Ivy Bridge support

-rewrite is valid argument, check /? you will see it, and I’ve used it before. So I’m not sure why you’d get any errors with that, other than if drivers need to be correct first?

Those other errors you listed are due to no/incorrect ME drivers as well. Uninstall the v7 drivers you have installed, and update to ME8 drivers, then you will have better luck.

What do you mean ME unlocked, and ME8 “Seems to have flashed, but you can’t tell” it’s contradictory in same sentence

Everything I wrote above is correct way to use those tools, and the batch files have correct commands too.
This is probably all failing due to drivers, I know sometimes in the past I had issues with wrong drivers too, so I bet this is it and ME did update to 8!

If you can’t get the ME8 drivers to install, can you boot to DOS? If yes, then you can use DOS FPT, it wont need any drivers installed other than what’s included with the tools.
Latest ME8 drivers you can get here - Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools
At the above like, system tools V8 r3 has all the FPT versions in Flash Programming Tools folder, DOS/Win/Win64 etc, and same for MEInfo too.
Download that package and you can ty DOS if you can’t get any luck with the drivers installed

And from that page, it looks like Plutomaniac says ME7/8 now use Intel MEI Driver v11.0.6.1194 - https://mega.nz/#!zB9H3biT!pD1qes-OspD4U…_9Tylri1BEkkCh4
Install that, and the windows fptw should work for you, along with meinfowin too.

I was replying while you edited. What did you link that thread for, is your chipset HM67?
All you need is drivers, these apps all work correctly for you with ME7, because you had old ME7 drivers installed, probably from back when it was all separate, now all seems to use the same driver.
If not, and the one I linked above Plutomaniac says in that thread to use does not work I can upload some old V8 specific drivers for you.

I’ve been thinking about it and, perhaps we could scrap using the Dell Vostro 260 bios and instead attempt to use the Dell Optiplex 390 BIOS instead. They both are 4MB and run off of the H61 Express Chipset, both systems from Dell use the same board. Maybe the source code used to build the BIOS is newer with the Optiplex. The last released BIOS for the Optiplex is in 2013. Besides that, I used the drivers you provided and Device Manager is no longer throwing up the error it was doing so before. Thank you for that. :smiley: On second look into Device Manager, the ME Interface Driver seems to be non-functional throwing this error: STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE. This may mean I have to switch to DOS for my commands, but I’d prefer not to and stay within the bounds of Windows.

You may need to power off fully for one minute to reset the ME. After flashing ME like that you need to remove all power from the board for one minute, this means unplug from the wall, and remove CMOS battery. Wait, and then put battery back in, plug back into the wall, boot into the BIOS and load optimal defaults and make any other changes you need, then save and boot to windows.

Other board BIOS is not going to be any help right now. Your board is booting, and you think ME 8 updated, we need to verify. Once you get correct things setup you’ll be able to do that, right drivers and such, ME reset via complete loss of power for one minute.
Once you’ve reset the ME and booted back into windows, run the meinfowin batch file from the Ver8 folder and send image of output (Or run meinfowin from the command prompt started from that folder, either would be fine)
You may also need to run ftpw -greset from command prompt, from the Ver8 folders (System will reboot at this command, be ready, closed files etc)

It’s the drives holding things up right now, see here’s Intel’s page describing those errors too
https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2…w-update-client

I’ve just powered off the system and now am waiting. I tried the Ivy Bridge chip in the system after the ME update and it didn’t work although that may be the results of the missing vBIOS. I read somewhere that ME won’t function properly on Dell systems with the service mode jumper on.

Yes, nothing to do with Ivy right now. We’re only trying to get updated ME working with old CPU, to ensure ME functions with that board and BIOS. Otherwise Ivy progress can’t move forward anyway.

That may be right, you might need to remove the jumper, or set back to disabled, now that you think you’ve got the ME flashed. Sorry for not thinking about that, and glad you mentioned it, that could be cause of some of the errors you showed too!

If we don’t get this, once I get some extra cash I’ll pickup one of these boards to test and will be able to solve this much quicker, then can tell you how to easily fix if it’s possible. I found a few on ebay for $20-22 shipped OBO
If we can’t get it through the forum by us trying to talk it out.

Dude, it’s okay lol. Everybody forgets. I think I’ve got it without the jumper shorted on. Anyways, I think I’ve got ME8 working with the jumper off. It makes all the sense in the world that ME 8 flashed properly. If I look into the Device Manager the ME Driver doesn’t show and the driver won’t reinstall. I think now, we should work on Ivy Bridge, ME 8 seems to be working fine. I think for VBIOS we should use separate SND and IVB vBIOSes.

ME8 can’t be working fine if you can’t install ME drivers or run MEInfowin command. I think you are correct, that jumper is to clear or disable ME, can you install ME8 drivers or run meinfowin with it back to original off position?
If not, then ME8 is not flashed in, or ME region is corrupted. Verify that, by trying to install ME7 drivers, or running meinfo from the ver7 tools. Did ME version show in the BIOS previously, if yes, what does it show now?

Set the jumper to the non default (unlocked) position in order to allow SPI read/write access. Use Flash Programming Tool v8 to flash the ME 8 SPI via “fptw -rewrite -f MS-A10_ME8.bin”. Upon successful completion and while the system is on, set the jumper to its default position (locked) and run “fptw -greset”. After the restart, make sure you have the latest INF or MEI-Only driver installed for 6/7-series and run MEInfo v8 to verify that ME 8 works with the basic SNB test case. The service jumper must be set to its default state for the ME to be operational as noted at E2 of the Flash Descriptor guide.

@plutomaniac I followed your instructions, but towards the end where the jumper is set back to its default position (locked) when the PC boots into Windows the ME driver and device no longer show in Device Manager. Maybe I could trigger the MEBx prompt while booting to confirm the version, although I’m not sure that it’s compatible with the H61 chipset.

Forget about MEBx (which you don’t even have btw) and forget Device Manager. Turn off the system and remove AC power for 1 minute. Make sure the jumper is set to its default position. Power on and run “fptw -greset”. After the restart, run MEInfo -verbose and show the result. Read the ME thread to know what’s compatible with what.

I followed your instructions and this is the result, perhaps I should flash in DOS?

FW Status Register1: 0x00003021
FW Status Register2: 0x80040000

CurrentState: Init
ManufacturingMode: Disabled
FlashPartition: Invalid
OperationalState: Transitioning
InitComplete: Initializing
BUPLoadState: Success
ErrorCode: Image Failure
ModeOfOperation: Normal
ICC: No valid OEM data, ICC not programmed

HECI device is found to be disabled.

Windows OS Version : 6.2.9200 ""
OS BIOS Support : Legacy

Table Type 218 ( 0x DA ) found, size of 17 (0x 11 ) bytes
Table Type 0 ( 0x 00 ) found, size of 24 (0x 18 ) bytes

Windows OS Version : 6.2.9200 ""
OS BIOS Support : Legacy

Table Type 218 ( 0x DA ) found, size of 17 (0x 11 ) bytes
Table Type 0 ( 0x 00 ) found, size of 24 (0x 18 ) bytes
Table Type 4 ( 0x 04 ) found, size of 42 (0x 2A ) bytes
Table Type 7 ( 0x 07 ) found, size of 19 (0x 13 ) bytes
Table Type 9 ( 0x 09 ) found, size of 17 (0x 11 ) bytes
Table Type 11 ( 0x 0B ) found, size of 5 (0x 05 ) bytes
Table Type 16 ( 0x 10 ) found, size of 15 (0x 0F ) bytes
Table Type 19 ( 0x 13 ) found, size of 15 (0x 0F ) bytes
Table Type 17 ( 0x 11 ) found, size of 28 (0x 1C ) bytes
Table Type 20 ( 0x 14 ) found, size of 19 (0x 13 ) bytes
Table Type 17 ( 0x 11 ) found, size of 28 (0x 1C ) bytes
Table Type 20 ( 0x 14 ) found, size of 19 (0x 13 ) bytes
Table Type 32 ( 0x 20 ) found, size of 20 (0x 14 ) bytes
Table Type 2 ( 0x 02 ) found, size of 15 (0x 0F ) bytes
Table Type 3 ( 0x 03 ) found, size of 21 (0x 15 ) bytes
Table Type 208 ( 0x D0 ) found, size of 12 (0x 0C ) bytes
Table Type 1 ( 0x 01 ) found, size of 27 (0x 1B ) bytes
Table Type 127 ( 0x 7F ) found, size of 4 (0x 04 ) bytes

Error 9458: Communication error between application and Intel(R) ME module (FW Update client)

Error 9459: Internal error (Could not determine FW features information)

So, I researched about the MECLR jumper on Dell Motherboards, and it seems that it disables ME in its current state.

At the current system state, enable the jumper and dump the SPI chip via “fptw -d spi.bin”. Then input spi.bin in MEA and verify that it indeed has ME 8 firmware. If it does, then we have upgraded to ME 8 and it does at least boot with SNB. However, the ME firmware is not working properly. In such case, you may choose to proceed while leaving the ME firmware corrupted but you’ll lose certain of its functions like overclocking etc as described in the ME thread.

Yeah, so current motherboard is bricked. PC crashed from driver issues while I was flashing with FPTW64.

Bricked is not an option! That can always be fixed

Do you have a CH341A programmer already, I forgot if we discussed yet or not? Can you solder?
If not, I can send you info and links to get a “Solderless” tool that can help you fix this, or send it over here and I’ll fix it for you.

So what’s going on that bricked things? Did you get another SPI dump before this happened, so you could check MEA status was ME8 or no?

ME was somehow never working on this PC properly. I flashed back to stock Dell BIOS with ME 7 and the jumper (MECLR) in a position to enable ME and the MEI driver never worked properly in Windows. I don’t have an SPI programmer, though I do know how to solder but I don’t have a fine or small enough tip soldering iron to do the job. If you could recommend some ways that I could recover the BIOS that would be nice. Thanks for helping :D.

I would buy an Optiplex 9010 board to replace the MIH61R (Vostro 260) board. But I still don’t want to give up on the Vostro 260 project. Besides Ivy Bridge support, I would still want to make EFI OS booting possible.

That may be due to it didn’t get the ME reset before you tried checking the ME.

This is what I use almost always now, it’s higher price investment than the cheaper CH341A programmers, but it’s well worth the cash and works great with all types of BIOS.
Almost forgot, I already posted this here, on page 3 post #50 - [Request] Dell Vostro 260 - Add Ivy Bridge support (4)

If you give him your exact BIOS chip model via message before you pay, he may be able to send you compatible copy instead of the default (8MB) one he usually includes.
I say message before you pay, because he may take off a dollar or two for the lesser included chip vs the usual default 8MB one.

Or, you could read here in the CH341A thread and ask about “Jumper” cables to use with CH341A, it’s cheaper route but does not always work properly.
My advice is get the Nano USB Programmer with the solderless adapter.

For now this will be at a stand still while I try to recover the board. I want to get an Optiplex board to use my computer in the meanwhile since the front panel headers are compatible.

Well if/when you do get the other board, let me know and I’ll probably purchase that from you if you want to sell it, that way I can finish this mod and testing since I’m interested in making it happen now.

The Dell Optiplex 3010 uses the same mobo and allows Sandy Bridge and some Ivy Bridge cpus which work with HDMI video and audio. A compare with the Voatro 260/Inapiron 620 BIOS might be helpful.

I have a i3-3225 running on an Optiplex 3010 and and I just purchased a Vostro 260s. I’d like to put a 3225 in the Vostro. I am interested in this project and would love to see your results.