Specific BIOS modding problems with an ASUS ROG G751-JY notebook

@Lost_N_BIOS @edival

He need to be sure that he can flash the modded bios you did for me. Seems CPUID signature are identical (306C3) : I7-4710HQ / I7-4720HQ

AHCI ssd are very rare and normally very expensive.

Like Lost_N_Bios said have some risks to use afudos so just tell him if you still need a modded bios and what you want updated inside, he can do it for you. Then he will explain you how to use FPT to backup and flash.

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS , yes, I realize they’re more money which is why flashing the BIOS “might” be easier :slight_smile:

I took assembly programming in University 24+ years ago and I wasn’t good at it then so I’m mostly confused about what’s going on now.

I did read that there’s a tool to extract my current BIOS (though I’m using the stock BIOS update 213 updated in June this year currently). Would it help if I was able to provide that?

I talked to ASUS and they are of no help, of course.

It’s so silly that we have to jump through these hoops for something ASUS should be providing for its hardware.

Thanks @Svan - I guess maybe he needs new personal BIOS, since I always suggest FPT and only other way I don’t suggest on this system
@edival - so you have 306C3 CPUID, I can update that for you, and whatever else you need (let me know what other mods/updates you need).

Here is how to backup BIOS with FPT so I can mod for you, this also outlines for you to make a write test after you backup, show me the error you get for this if any, then I will further advise

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error, if you do show me image of the command entered and the error given >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Or here is simply registry edit that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu
Double-click to install, reboot after install may be required
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…134606820377175

Hello, @Lost_N_BIOS
Thanks for your passion and experience
I have same notebook as @edival : G751-JY with i7-4720HQ (CPUID: 306C3).
I install compatible FPT version 9.1. Read BIOS Region (attached).
Clear SMI and BIOS Lock’s with EFI and grub.
Succesfull write biosreg.bin with fptw64.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin (attached LOG).
May i ask you to mod BIOS 2.13 with NVMe and updated CPU microcodes for me?
I note that my current BIOS - 2.11 with integrated NVMe…

biosreg.zip (2.32 MB)

fpt.png

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS
here is what I ended up with, a little different than @awaulin received for what appears to be the same machine.

Snap 2019-10-20 at 10.58.06.png

You need clear SMI and BIOS Lock’s with this guide. But use “setup_var 0xA2 0x0” and “setup_var 0xA3 0x0” commands in grub EFI shell.

@awaulin - flash BIOS 2.13 and then do all that again, I don’t need logs etc just do all you did, unlock SMI/BIOS lock and then AFTER than dump the BIOS with FPT again and send to me.
That I will update all microcodes for you and put in NVME Mod. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I suppose that causes a problem due to current OS is on NVME mod BIOS… Hmmmmmmmm

I can do the update manually, but it’s messy and not ideal due to NVRAM areas. Can you do as I mentioned, and then not use this system again until I get you the mod BIOS back? I will do quickly
If you have another system you can use interim, you can do as I mentioned, and then do the FPT dumps from DOS instead, since you wont be able to go into windows, then wait for BIOS.
Or, if you still have it, pop back in your old/original drive or any other you may have lying around, and use that for a little bit. You can clone your current NVME contents to your old drive and use it just like your current system, just will be slower drive speeds again while you wait for BIOS.

@edival - Thanks! Yes, as mentioned above, you now need to disable BIOS Lock and SMI Lock, then once you do that, dump the BIOS region again and give it a new name so you know this one is unlocked, and then test writing it back.
If successful write back, send me that BIOS and let me know what you need done.

I boot to FreeDOS.
Backup current BIOS (2.11 with NVMe) with AFUDOS.
Flash stock 2.13 BIOS with Easy Flash.
Clear Locks.
Dump BIOS Region with FPT (DOS Version). Attached.
Successful test write region back with FPT (DOS).
Write back 2.11 BIOS with NVMe.
Return to Windows
Hope this helps…

213c.zip (2.3 MB)

@awaulin - nice dance you did there Had to do one myself to get you this BIOS sorted out properly
Here is mod BIOS (UPD all microcodes + NVME Mod) - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…772516539978815

uCodeUPD-NVME.png

This BIOS is user specific, do not flash if you are not awaulin, you will loose your serial and UUID etc - you’ve been warned!!

I write this 213CM.bin with fptw64.exe. Get Error 204.
Tried again - same result. Screenshot attached.
After reboot notebook does not boot.
But ASUS Recovery Procedure (Ctrl+Home+Power) brought the back to life
Maybe write this file with FPT DOS, or AFUDOS?

error204.png

@awaulin - Do not reboot, write back your original BIOS region dump with FPT or AFU, then reboot will be OK
This is due to you flashed BIOS with AFU in past Nothing you can do to fix this now except you can flash BIOS I sent you with AFU (Use >> AFU /P /B /N at least)
If you want to fix this system to where you can use FPT properly, then you need flash programmer.

Also, I never suggested to use FPTw64, only FPTw or DOS version. Anyway, nothing can fix the problem with FPT until you get programmer, so no need to try anymore. All this covered on page 4
Sorry, I didn’t know you’d previously flashed BIOS with AFU

If I understand correctly, then I must first flash the original region with AFU /P /B /N in DOS, and then the BIOS you provided using AFU /P /B /N?

@awaulin - If you already revived the system via recovery, you don’t need to do anything now. What I would try, so you don’t have to use AFU again, is recover with the BIOS I sent you.
I may need to put that back into a capsule for you, for recovery method to work, not sure. Just in case, here is that file (try original mod w/ recovery first, if that fails, try this) - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…769169291393549

But yes, if you need to flash the BIOS I sent you, since you already used AFU in the past, you have to flash via AFU (Windows or DOS, whichever AFU version you’ve been using that allowed you to flash mod BIOS) >> AFU /P /B /N
No need to flash original BIOS with AFU, you can do that with EZ Flash or whatever stock tools/method is, but it’s not needed here.

Recovery does not work with both mods. Only stock firmware work with recovery.
I note that EZ Flash also does not see these files…
Flash first mod with AFU /P /B /N - that work fine.
Many, Many Thanks!!

Try both files I sent you with .bin extension instead of .213, for recovery. It may not work, but worth it to try, since you got it to flash stock BIOS for recovery.
EZ Flash will not flash mod BIOS, this is a given.

Or, so, did you get it flashed in now, and NVME Mod BIOS in to I mean? You’re welcome!
If yes, good, I was hoping to help you not have to AFU Flash it, but I know that’s what everyone runs too (And you see the issues it causes already here with you and on page 4 too) But yes, already too late for you, so it didn’t really matter

I tried recovery with both files. Recovery does not work. And work with stock BIOS.
As i see Recovery procedure uses EZ Flash for write BIOS.
I can only write your Mod with AFU.
But it does work! Thanks!

@Lost_N_BIOS : I tried hard to read the topic a little bit on the weekend. I managed to read the bios (did not seem blocked) and attach it here. I’ve never worked with AFUDOS or flashed a BIOS at all (except on the default path), but I hope I’ll manage it :slight_smile:

TW

I7-4720HQ-G751JY-BIOS-Torchwood.rar (2.18 MB)

@Torchwood - See post #3, do that, then make me FPT BIOS region dump using info below (Must do post #3 first)

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error, if you do show me image of the command entered and the error given >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin
^^ This is important step, don’t forget ^^

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Or here is simply registry edit that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu
Double-click to install, reboot after install may be required
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…134606820377175

Then, tell me what you want done to the BIOS

Warning, I am a complete noob to bios modding!

@Lost_N_BIOS

Hi! So I was excited to install my new Samsung 970 EVO NVMeM.2 SSD into my Asus G751YJ-DH71 as a bootable drive thinking, “it has a PCIe SSDin it already so this should just plug-in-play” …oh was I wrong. After a few days of research, and reading this forum thread over a few times, it sounds like the BIOS needs to be modded to support the NVMe SSD…With all your warnings and saying how much of a pain this BIOS was to mod, I have been reluctant to attempt this on my own. And if I understand it correctly, the mod needs to be done using on my own bios dump and not someone else’s.

So, I followed your instructions to get the tools and create the attached bios dump. I also was able to follow your instructions to use Grub to fix the FPT vars to flash a new bios using FPT. Now I think all I need is to flash a "correctly" modded bios…is this something you can help me with?

System Info:
Asus G751YJ-DH71
Bios Version: 213
Intel Core i7-4710HQ (Intel HM87 – Lynx Point)

biosreg.zip (2.32 MB)

After more extensive reading, and since I was only looking to get my hard drive working, I was able to update my bios to support NVMe and install the 970 EVO using the information in this thread and in the ROG-G751-JY-BIOS-211-NVMe-Upgrade-Guide-Step-by-Step thread on the Asus forum. Instead of using the tools listed in the other forum, however, I used FPT for backup and flashing.

Thanks for all your work in this thread!