[TOOL] Easy automated Mod tool for Coffee Lake bios

Update: Never mind, I change the version of CH341 Programmer and got it working. Now with RGB! Thanks for sharing.

@easlan

Did you put those file in Ch341 programmer and just write it to the chip? Or do you need to run it via Coffee Time tool first?
I tried to write it to my chip directly, but got this error message. Therefore, it fails at verification as well.
"Warning! The data size is larger than the chip size! Continue?"

I tried the 1009 and up but it just won’t boot up.
I will tried the 0906 later this weekend since at least your RGB is working. :slight_smile:

Update: 0906 won’t boot up my 9900k, will revert back to 370f port RGBless

@svarmod any insight?

Hi Bro ,

i’ve used this z270f below and RGB works

This guy called dsanke on the Chinese site smxdiy.com successfully modified the following bios to accept coffee lake achitechture CPUs on z270i motherboards. Intel told us it couldn’t be done. yeah right.

if anyone wants to try it out there, here are the modified files, based on the modified version of the BIOS:

MAXIMUS-IX-APEX-ASUS-0906

MAXIMUS-IX-HERO-ASUS-0906

STRIX-Z270E-GAMING-ASUS-0906

STRIX-Z270F-GAMING-ASUS-0906

STRIX-Z270G-GAMING-ASUS-0906

STRIX-Z270I-GAMING-ASUS-0704

ROG-MAXIMUS-X-APEX-ASUS-2203

ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO-ASUS-2203

ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING-ASUS-2401

ROG-STRIX-Z370-F-GAMING-ASUS-2401

ROG-STRIX-Z370-G-GAMING-ASUS-2401

ROG-STRIX-Z370-I-GAMING-ASUS-2401 http://www.mediafire.com/file/9elrxfv3f2…270-TO-Z370.zip

more info on the thread in Chinese. http://www.smxdiy.com/thread-2389-1-1.html

@Lamda - Go ahead and get one then, just in case recovery is needed. Plus, you need to write in mod FD, which you cannot without pinmod or flash programmer,
And in this case, crossflash BIOS will be much easier and cleaner with flash programmer. Cheap Ch341A + SOIC8 test clip w/ cable is all you need, or if BIOS in socket you do not need clip/cable you need U Type Flat IC extractor instead
Before you order anything, give me the BIOS chip ID too, in case you also need 1.8v adapter. And so I can tell you what software/version to use to dump current BIOS contents to send to me so I can copy over your serial and MAC ID

And you’re welcome! I have not done port before, but I edit BIOS all the time, and know what’s generally needed for this now so I’m sure I can do.
But, since you will get programmer, nothing really needed to be edited, just direct program is all you have to do. But, I will unlock FD for you, and update microcodes, and put in your serial and MAC ID for you.
Then you just program in, Z370 BIOS does not need backported when you have programmer, but if you want I can change the displayed model name to match your board instead of Z370?

@Rez - What is your BIOS chip ID? Not all software/versions work for all chip ID’s, you sometimes need to use specific version, or other than exact ID etc.
I can’t answer your question about the BIOS and coffee tool for sure, but it looks to me like what you quoted is discussing already modified BIOS.

The error you are getting is due to software version you are writing to chip with, not the file itself. This means bad write, data does not match in chip after writing, with what you meant to write (source file)

@Lost_N_BIOS thanks! I’ll take a look at the BIOS chip and let you know. Likely it’ll be on the weekend before I can get to it.

[quote="chinobino, post:718, topic:32795"] @mega_nix Sweet, enjoy your new CPU! BTW that BIOS has 5 micrcocodes with support for; [/quote]

Hello there @chinobino , @mega_nix and anybody else aboard.

First of all, I definitely signed up for the known risks - I'm buying a Coffee Lake CPU and will get a new motherboard in case I don't manage to get the mod working.

I've been lurking around this thread as of its very beginning just like any cheap, "tech-savvy" Z170 owner should, however cautious of taking action in this sense...

Turns out you guys did the trick for the Pro4s and I'm really pleased with your deed, so thank you a grand lot. It encouraged me to go through this endeavor myself at last.

Despite having some experience modding and even blind-flashing GPU bioses, I'm rather new to mobo firmware fiddling, thus advice on getting my Frankenstein together is more than welcome.

Current build: i7-6700K engineering sample (QHQF) @ 4GHz, ASRock Z170 Pro4s, 16GB DDR4 @ 2600MHz, GTX 1080 Ti @ 2050 MHz.

Here you go a few images related to the ES CPU's I'll choose from (I know, I know, ES is shady, not advisable etc. but I've been rolling ES for years so I'll give it another go):

imgur.com/a/iU6Lm76
(i9-9900K ES footage - hyperlinks not allowed, I'm new here)

Please let me know whether any of those is somewhat worth buying for this mod. Again, it's ok if it doesn't work.

I'd really appreciate your helpful input and will certainly share the outcome of my experiment, hopefully providing other forum members with further insight into the matter at hand.

Hi, I’m back to the the G20CI & GR8 II project.
So, yesterday my G20CB mother has finally arrived from france. I need to test it to be sure its working properly before i rpoceed into modding and stuff.
As far as i know this motherboard right now has 1701 bios which doesnt support kabylake cpus. And right now i hove only a i5 7400 at had that i can borrow from my GR8.
My problem is that I’m not sure if my CH341A programmer is working properly with all its drivers and software.
I’ve tried several versions of the software (1.18, 1.29 and 1.30) and several drivers.
With the version 1.30 it just doesnt work. With 1.29 i get a corrupted bios file (I guess; since when i load into UEFITool and then on AMIBCP5 i get errors)
I’ve tried two diffrent versions of 1.18 software. One came with its own drivers the otherone is from the official website. Both don’t support my own bios chip but can read it through (they detect it as “W25Q128BV” while on 1.29 it’s detected as “W25Q128FV”)
My actual bios chip: winbond 25Q128FVIQ 1535

Since I don’t seem to be able to upload all the files directly to this forum i uploaded to my Google Drive. Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1…-OJ?usp=sharing

My motherboard’s official Drivers and Tools page: https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/ROG-G2…pDesk_Download/

@Lost_N_BIOS
Actually, I have two separate problem, the first one is no RGB when using z370f on my z270f board. It is now work after I change my CH341 programmer version and use the bios provided by @easlan .

Still, the other one I am working on is trying to get my G3900 (Sky Lake) to work with z370i (itx). (It is temporary, coz I will be moving my 9900k to itx platform in the future but would love to my spare CPU for now.)
I will try to add microcode to z370i bios using Coffe Time tool and flash it. Do you know if I need to do pin-mod for this reverse route?

Hi,

i have successfully moded bios for biostar tb250-btc using this tool and my celeron 4920 is working fine, however when i mod tb250-btc+ mb wont boot with 4920 but with 3900 works fine. What did i do wrong? my bios files

thank you

Hi again! So I have acquired a Gigabyte GA-Z270P-D3 motherboard really cheap and I would like to install custom BIOS and get a 9600k in it preferably. I saw your post somewhere @Lost_N_BIOS stating that you can create one from default given the MAC ID, so question is how do I fetch my MAC ID?
Otherwise, I have the programmer as well as a backup, but unfortunately don’t have the clip, so I’m not sure how would I approach connecting the BIOS to the programmer in that case?

Thanks!

hi all,
sorry to bother, I got an asus h170m-plus and a 8600k, just for fun I wanted to try and make it work, I followed Luumi’s tutorial on youtube, so I have:

1 - downloaded latest bios from asus website
2 - converted .cap into .bin with uefitool
3 - successfully modded the bios with your amazing all-in-one tool
4 - converted .bin into .rom with uefitool
5 - renamed the file with the exact original bios name (including .cap extension)
6 - flashed the bios with asus ez update in win 10, replacing the file after the verification process
7 - jumped the “socket-occupied” pin on the SIO chip to ground

still, when I put the 8600k the board doesn’t start, the fan spins for one sec and after it turns off, any suggestions?

@ALviK98 - For W25Q128FV - only Colibri (included below) or ASProgrammer 1.41 has been confirmed working here by others for both read and write
https://ufile.io/p21lj9ck

1.18 will give valid read (at least the 1.18 in package above, can’t comment on others), but it will fail write
Best to use Colibri or ASProgrammer and make a new dump, that way you know it’s a good dump and you know you will have good write with those too.

@Rez - Yes, I’ve seen discussion about those backports and RGB, there is fix for that, but sounds like you are already using fixed BIOS now.
You need to downgrade ME FW manually, using the guide, not using CoffeeTime, and then properly insert microcode (make sure no padding above/below microcode is added or removed + fix FIT once you are done).
You may also need to downgrade vBIOS/GOP. All this sounds like something I would not waste time on in your situation, because it’s temp and you don’t plan to use for long, I’d pass and just wait it out.

@markoz - Probably bad mod, double check BIOS vs stock, you may need to edit something differently for other BIOS

@Poply - MAC ID is on a sticker on the board, either by LAN (on top, bottom, side of LAN Metal block, or plastic in that area), or on side of 24 pin or possibly top/bottom sides of PCI/PCIE slots.
You can also run this command to get, if LAN enabled, make sure it’s not Wifi MAC ID you grab >> IPCONFIG /ALL

If you’re familiar with FPT, you can also >> FPTw.exe -gbe -d gbe.bin

@adelage - UEFITool does not convert cap/bin/rom etc. So, at #1, hopefully you mean that you have extracted BIOS Body from capsule, and saved as bin/rom (this = same/same)
^^ And due to this, #4 also points directly to my first comment above too (no need to convert bin to rom, it’s same, and UEFITool does not convert such, but you can rename with it I guess if you wanted )

BIOS Body must be put back into stock capsule via HEX editor, you cannot simply rename to .cap
See here - [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS (394)

But, since you used update method in windows, IF BIOS flashed in, you may avoid above hassles. Often though, this method in windows only “Looks” like it flashes your BIOS, but does nothing.
So I highly suggest you do it properly via USB Flashback, and really, for Coffee mod, this will fail too, unless you do the hardmod for USB Flashback to flash all regions (I don’t have any info or links on this, you will have to find).
Programmer is needed without that, because you have to flash in mod ME and FD regions, and that is not done by USB Flashback or other other software method.

So the above is the reason for your issue most likely, but you may also still have pad isolation missing too. That and/or your SKTOCC mod is not correct.

thank you, ho to best check modbios vs stock?. the only difference in mb are that tb250-btc is with 6pci-e, and btc+ and btc pro have 8/13 pci-e slots. I dont know if that has something to do with anything.

Done, Thanks

tnks, I figured that the bios flash using ez update in windows didn’t actually happen, so after trying pretty much every possible method mentioned in the “how to flash a modded bios guide” without any success, I remembered I happened to have a ch341a usb programmer, I didn’t use it before because I was scared to damage the chip, but to my greatest surprise it worked like a charm and now the mobo boots with the 8600k without any issue! It’s just a shame that the chipset doesn’t support multiplier oc, it would have been great to take this chip to 4.8ghz on a mobo that I just paid 20€…anyway I wasn’t aware that with ME is so hard to downgrade or mod a bios, i guess that having one of this little usb programmers is a must nowadays

@Lost_N_BIOS By MAC ID you mean the MAC address? Cause that’s what I get with ipconfig…

Hi @reactive , sorry for troubling you.
A couple of days ago i’ve finally recived my G20CB motherboard.
I mounted and connected evrything to it.
It got shipped to me with 1701 bios version. Right now i only have a i5 7400 cpu on hand. I’m trying to test if this mobo even works but i get no signal.
I’ve tried flashing even 2202 (latest) bios and still nothing.
I turn it on, fans start spinning then they turn off and restart again. No video signal and anything.
Do you have any idea what it could be?
I mounted a pair of samsung sodimm 2400mhz ram and a m.2 sata ssd.
Could it be ram related or cpu that lacks bios microcode?
Did you encountered anything similar?

@markoz - I meant for you to check stock BIOS vs mod BIOS side by side with UEFITool NE, look at “Parser” tab, all should match before/after, then look at ALL touched volumes inside BIOS region, all should match 100% before/after (no added or removed paddings or other files/modules)
If you are not sure which volumes have been touched, then compare/look at each one, from top to bottom.

@adelage - Great you got it going now Yes, I don’t think even with BIOS mod to reveal multi setting that chipset will allow CPU multi change, but I’m not 100% sure, you should try it and see

@Poply - Yes, MAC ID is Ethernet LAN MAC address, you need this to insert into mod BIOS so you can flash it with FPT via full BIOS flash (FPTw.exe -f biosname.bin)
Or you can flash in all regions one by one and skip GbE (ie DO NOT use FPT without a region flag >> -desc, -me, -bios), otherwise you will have to fix GbE region later to fix MAC ID

@ALviK98 - Should 7400 CPU work with BIOS 1701 or 2202?

@Lost_N_BIOS Good question…
I’ve seen in forums that it should be working with the stock 2202 bios but nothing is happening…
I just don’t know if there is any microcode support in the stock bios or how to check it…

@Lost_N_BIOS I have tried with FPTw and FPTw64 (version 11.0.0.1160) but I get the following error:

Error 367: [FPTw.exe] cannot be run on the current platform.
Please contact your vendor.

As for the MAC ID with ipconfig /all:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : x
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : x

Do you need any other info?

@Lost_N_BIOS Okey, I’ve managed to find a suitable bios to boot my G20CB motherboard.
Basically i took the bios of the G20CI (H270) and copied it’s “BIOS region” to my own G20CB 2202 bios.
And it booted up, seems to be working fine.
Some issues:
-Fans are bugged in bios but i can control them through “SpeedFan”
-One single temperature reading is wrong (i hope it is) showing me motherboard temp 120C (on AIDA 64)
-Wifi not working at all…

Also, I’ve started digging into my GR8 II bios.
I dumped it using CH341A clip. I’m thinking about those bio menu unlocks. Do you have any tutorial about them?
If you’r not too busy, could you do it for me? I dont really know how to do it :confused:
GR8 stock bios: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o_LYDyY…iew?usp=sharing

@ALviK98 - Tell him don’t be scared, he’s only “Reading/Backing up” so nothing can go wrong provided he can copy/paste commands safely
Link me to BIOS in question and I will check and tell you what microcodes are in there. OR you can check, drop BIOS on MC Extractor (run exe, drop BIOS on CMD window) and it will show you - https://github.com/platomav/MCExtractor/…ag/v1.48.1-r159

Sounds like a mess doing what you did with other model BIOS region, I would not run like that. I’d wait and get proper BIOS made from your correct BIOS

On GR8 - please make a thread if you need unlocked BIOS menus, then I can help. IN that thread, please link stock BIOS download page (not the BIOS).
Also, since you have programmer, add your dumped BIOS to that thread as well… What is BIOS chip ID, and what software/version did you dump the BIOS with?

@Poply - What is your ME FW? If you have V11, then that is correct package, you may just need to run as Admin and are currently not?
Here is registry fix to add “open CMD as Admin here” to right click, add this to registry, reboot, and then in the folder with FPTw.exe right click and choose open CMD as admin here, then run command
https://ufile.io/aprsmcyi

But, this only needed for you to have backup. Since you know your MAC ID, we can make you a BIOS now. Please reply with ALL info in same reply again so it’s all in one place, then I can make you BIOS.
At reply, link to BIOS download page and tell me what BIOS version. Tell me your old/current CPU model, and your new CPU SSPEC (Printed on CPU). And then MAC ID again.