[Guide] Transfer of specific Intel OROM VBIOS and GOP VBT settings by using Intel BMP tool

Transferring settings OROM VBIOS from the old version to the new one.
One of the easiest methods.

Here is an example for Asus Z77-V LE Plus Main BIOS - 0910

1) For Aptio 4
Open the BIOS file in MMTool and navigate to Tab "Extract". Extract the OROM VBIOS file, example as 'vbios.dat'

Example DevID:
For Desktop DevID SNB-102, IVB-162, HSW/BDW-402,412,c02,c12
For Mobile DevID SNB-106, IVB-166, HSW/BDW-406,416,c06,c16

For Aptio 5
Open the BIOS file in MMTool and navigate to Tab "Option ROM". Extract the OROM VBIOS file, example as ‘vbios_406.dat’

Example DevID:
SKL/KBL/CFL DevID - 406

2) Open the file ‘vbios.dat’ in any Hex editor

Look for what:
The OROM VBIOS version - SNB/IVB Desktop 2143 (We are looking for a BSF-script file ‘snb_2143.bsf’ (desktop)
The VBT version - " A6 00" -> A6 (v1.66)
The VBT size - "0E 0F" -> 0F0E (3854 byte)
This is important information for the following steps.

*3) If the BSF-script file to the desired version is not present, refer to the table to find a compatible one. To do this, we have the previous gathered data on the version and size of VBT.
*See the attached file ‘Table VBT OROM VBIOS Version and Size.docx’

4) install the program IntelÂŽ Binary Modification Program (iBMP) and run.

5) In iBMP open the extracted ‘vbios.dat’ file and the BSF-script according the correct ORIM VBIOS version, in this case ‘snb_2143.bsf’

pic_3.JPG

6) Save settings from the opened OROM VBIOS, example as "transfer.ssf", command
- Menu -> "BIOS Setting -> Save All" -> ‘transfer.ssf’

7) Close window (Ctrl+F4)

8) Open the saved "transfer.ssf" file in any Text editor and Remove the following *string:

*Important! If you do not remove this string that all messages will be displayed on the version of the old version.

9) In IBMP open new pure the OROM VBIOS and BSF-script files of the correct version, example OROM VBIOS ‘snb_2170.dat’ and BSF-script ‘snb_2170.bsf’ (desktop)

pic_5.JPG

10) Load settings from saved/edited "transfer.ssf", command
- Menu -> "BIOS Setting -> Apply All" -> ‘transfer.ssf’ and save, example ‘vbios_new.dat’

For update in UBU Tool (only v1.20-1.69), files saved as:
- Sandy/IvyBridge -> ‘Modules\VGA\vbiossib.dat’
- Hasweell/Broadwell -> ‘Modules\VGA\vbioshsw.dat’

For update in UBU Tool v1.70 and above), files saved as:
- Sandy/IvyBridge -> ‘Files\Intel\VBIOS\vbiossib.dat’
- Hasweell/Broadwell -> ‘Files\Intel\VBIOS\vbioshsw.dat’
- Skylake/Kabylake/Coffeelake -> ‘Files\Intel\VBIOS\vbiosskc.dat’

11) Be sure to check all settings, is nowhere to be alert or red entries.

12) Close IBMP and update main BIOS with the new file:.

13) Update for Aptio 4
Open the BIOS file in MMTool and Tab "Replace"

Update for Aptio 5
Open the BIOS file in UEFITool
// screen //

14) Flash BIOS

Remarks:
a) Changes in version VBT - new options in the settings.
- In this case, the transfer settings is successful 99%.
b) Changed version and the size of VBT - Added new settings.
- In this case, it may require additional holding settings manually.
c) Ideal variant when the version and size of VBT, old and new OROM VBIOS, are the same.
d) Unfortunately, the transfer settings from OROM VBIOS Haswell 21xx in OROM VBIOS Haswell-Broadwell 10xx has its own complexity and requires finding solutions.
e) Settings VBT OROM VBIOS Haswell-Broadvell versions 1025 - 1028 coincide with versions 1029 - 1038, except BSF-scripts. But the transfer of settings is always one to one.

Attention owners of motherboards from Asrock Z87.
Unfortunately for the OROM VBIOS 2166 no BSF-script, the closest analog ‘hsw_2170.bsf’ is not appropriate.
But…
For you, there is good news. You can use ready files OROM VBIOS and VBT for GOP from similar motherboards Z97.
Example Asrock Z87 Extreme 4:
1) Downloan latest version BIOS Z97 Extreme 4
2) Open the BIOS file in MMTool
3) Extract the OROM VBIOS file, as ‘vbioshsw.dat’. (For UBU v1.20 and above)
4) Extract "as is" the VBT for GOP file, GUID 878AC2CC-5343-46F2-B563-51F89DAF56BA, as ‘vbthsw.ffs’. (For UBU v1.20 and above)
5) Put these files ‘vbioshsw.dat’ and ‘vbthsw.ffs’ in a folder Modules\VGA
6) Update and flash.

Checked:
Asrock Z97 Ext3 -> Z87 Ext3
Asrock Z97 Ext4 -> Z87 Ext4
Asrock Z97 Ext6 -> Z87 Ext6
All ports are working without problems.
Important! Names motherboard models must match.

Alternative method

Quick transfer of settings from one OROM VBIOS file to another.

CloneVBT

In this case, the target file may already contain third-party settings.
Only 3 conditions for quickly transferring your settings from the source file to the target:
1) Source $VBT name == Target $VBT Name
2) Source $VBT version == Target $VBT version
3) Source $VBT size == Target $VBT size

Launch Format:

> clonevbt <source> --> Only Info
> clonevbt <source> <Target> --> Info and/or Clone

Example:

After successfully transferring the settings, you will receive a new file ‘cln_vbios.bin’

Transferring settings UEFI GOP VBT from the old version to the new one.
(Note: This is the VBT related to GOP UEFI, not vbios.)

A better understanding of this Intel UEFI GOP VBT and what differs from the vBIOS VBT
(Credits)

Example of a RAW GOP VBT SKYLAKE - 212 and its GUID present in an Intel 300 bios:

VBT version and size

For the correct operation of the EFI Intel GOP Driver, an external configuration file of the GOP VBT is required.
GOP VBT file in structure is similar to VBT which is located in OROM VBIOS, but has its own specific features. Therefore, it is highly undesirable to use BSF from OROM or vice versa.

The transfer of settings is exactly the same as that of OROM VBIOS.

1) Open BIOS file in UEFITool
2) Find string as Hex

00F82456425420
or
00F8........2456425420 or 2456425420

2 options, because the file can be located in various structures of the EAW section.

3) Extract file as body. Example: 'old_vbt.bin'
4) Look at the version of the VBT. You can see using the utilities:

drvver old_vbt.bin
or
clonevbt old_vbt.bin

5) Open iBMP and choice old_vbt.bin and BSF desired version.
6) Save All setting/ Example: 'vbt_set.ssf'. And close Window.
7) Open new fle VBT. Example 221 - vbt.bin and vbt.bsf
8) Open file 'vbt_set.ssf' and Apply All setting and Save file- Example: new_vbt.bin'.
8.1) You may have to adjust some of the settings you need. Check them out.
9) Open BIOS file in UEFITool v0.2x and find GOP VBT, see 2)
10) Replace as body and Save BIOS file
Done.

* 10) UBU 1.75.1. Only HSW+ and SKL+.
Put the 'new_vbt.bin' as 'vbthsw.bin' for HSW+ or as 'vbtskl.bin' for SKL+ files in the "Files\Intel\VBIOS" folder.

Direct link dowload:
Tools & Files

Good Luck! :)

@MeatWar (2023) Note to all users with interests in this suject:
The Intel iBMP (.BSF type config) is now EOL and it would be nice if any users can gather any info/share on the current next gen tool, the Intel DISCON Tool (.xml file config).

1 Like

Thanks a lot SoniX for this tutorial. Now the problem is that the old SnB VBIOS in my Z68 mobo firmware is 2126, and there’s no bsf file for it in your package .

@Reducer
For 2126, you can use the BSF-script ‘snb_2132.bsf’. It is compatible completely.

@ SoniX:
Thank you very much for your excellent and clear guide about how to transfer the special Intel VBIOS settings by using Intel`s BMP tool.
To make it easier for everyone to find your guide and the questions/discussions regarding your guide, I have renamed the title of your post, which contains the guide. If the new title should not be ok for you, you can change it at every time.

@ all:
Since Sonix’ guide is very important for users, who want to update the Intel VGA ROM (VBIOS) of any AMI UEFI BIOS, I have customized my guides about the usage of the “UEFI BIOS Updater (UBU)” (>LINK<) and the “Manual UEFI BIOS Modding” (>LINK<).
I hope, that everything is easy to understand. If not, please let us (SoniX or me) know it.

Good luck with the update of the Intel VBIOS modules!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@ all:

Because of the importance of SoniX’s guide about the transfer of the specific VBIOS settings and to make it as easy as possible to find it, I have just split the old thread named “Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge and Haswell VBIOS differences and modifications” and moved SoniX’s new guide and the related posts into a new thread named “[Guide] Transfer of specific Intel VBIOS settings by using Intel’s BMP tool”.
To avoid any misunderstandings I have renamed the old thread to “[News] Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge and Haswell VBIOS modules”.
Since SoniX has agreed with my proposal to split the old thread, I hope, that this is ok for you as well.

I totally agree to that move and was going to suggest it myself.

Thank you for the guide SoniX!

Ehm, perhaps I’m blind, but I can’t see the package with the script files…
BTW, after that, may I just update a bios that I already update with old UBU version, or do I have to start from scratch? Thanks

If I’m not mistaken:

https://www.sendspace.com/folder/vdgvgg

Hopefully this linked folder is up-to-date. SoniX can let us know about that.

I get this error updating my Z77 from 2132 to 2170 when applying old config:

EDIT: re-saving settings seems to work

The Intel BMP and some bsf files can be found in one of these packages, but their are always the same old version.

OK, I succeded copying settings into new vbios and inserted it into the bios file using the old UBU modded bios as base, this should be ok, right?

Open again the updated VBIOS in BMP, save the settings, compare with the old settings. At most, there should be additional settings (if the new VBIOS has them, of course) and the different signon message.

If I’m not mistaken:

https://www.sendspace.com/folder/vdgvgg

Hopefully this linked folder is up-to-date. SoniX can let us know about that.

Later, I will update the archive with OROM VBIOS and BSF-scripts.

Edit:
Updated collection OROM VBIOS and BSF-scripts

Hi, I am trying to update OROM BIOS (Biostar Z77), in MMTool, wich specific file should I extract as vbios.dat? I got: IntellvbGopDriver and IntelSnbGobdriver …
Thanks.

@ Mindmod:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

If you want to extract the Intel vBIOS module from an Intel Z77 Chipset mainboard BIOS, you have to search for the related HardwareIDs within the CSMCORE file of the BIOS. It is an Option ROM module and not an EFI GopDriver one.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi SoniX,

thanks for all the work you put into ubu, it has kept my trusty z77 board up to date for over 1 year.

I recently updated my VBIOS following your guide and I have a question:
How can I tell if I actually updated the vbios ? If I compare the vbiossib.dat I created myself with the vbios.dat that I extracted from my original BIOS, the MD5 sum is identical.
If I open both files in the Intel BMP utility, VBT version is also identical (174). I have the ASRock Z77 Pro4, is it possible that the vbios from the latest official BIOS is the latest one ?
I have an Ivy Bridge 3570k CPU. I already updated the entire BIOS with ubu (my modified vbiossib.dat was present in modules\vga in ubu folder) and the Board and iGPU are working fine.

EDIT by Fernando: Post moved to a thread about the similar topic and blank lines removed (to save space)

@ kokett:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Since you had posted into a thread, which is only designed for the UBU guide and the UBU updates done by SoniX, I have moved it here. The topic of this thread matches the best your question.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@kokett
Excuse me, but I did not understand what the problem is?
Your motherboard ASRock Z77 Pro4
Latest original main BIOS v1.80, OROM VBIOS v2137. Extract as vbios.dat
Latest mod OROM VBIOS v2170. Mod frrom v2137 and Save as vbiossib.dat

@kevindd992002
Your motherboard Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3
Latest original main BIOS v3601, OROM VBIOS v2124. Extract as vbios.dat
Latest mod OROM VBIOS v2170. Mod frrom v2124 and Save as vbiossib.dat

Z77Pro4_vbios.rar (42.7 KB)

P8Z68VGEN3_vbios.rar (44.4 KB)

Sorry if I was unclear. Your post answered my question anyhow, so thanks :).

@Sonix

Thanks for the help. I’m using main BIOS 9903 though, it was provided to me by ASUS as a beta BIOS to fix the EFI boot issue I was having. If it contains the same extracted vBIOS as main BIOS 3601, can I simply use the v2170 OROM that you modified?